Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Rochdale: post match views

Comments

• Options

Sounded pretty ugly but a wins a win. Shrews beaten by bottom of the table Bury too. Maybe their bubble has burst.

Scunthorpe are now back on track. Strong contenders for a top two finish.
  • Options

Decent 3 points but made hard work of it. Painful game to watch.

Just got in after starting boozing with @ricky_otto at 4:30 and realised I’m pissed.
    Off, you misssed that out.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Decent 3 points but made hard work of it. Painful game to watch.

Just got in after starting boozing with @ricky_otto at 4:30 and realised I’m pissed.
    Fancy going back out?
    Thanks for letting us know was drinking on me own at 4.30
    That's what you get for flagging people!

You should have gave me a bell mate, I'd have let you buy me a beer.
  • Options

Ps. I reckon less than 6k in the ground tonight

8,800 advertised so this suggests you are close.

Generally bums on seats is about 20% off the advertised gate.
  • Options

Sounded pretty ugly but a wins a win. Shrews beaten by bottom of the table Bury too. Maybe their bubble has burst.

Shrewsbury were never going to last the pace for automatic promotion. Play-offs the best they can hope for. The more important results were Wigan and Blackburn both winning impressively. If they keep up this kind of form then play-offs are also probably the best we can hope for
    I really don't think Shrewsbury or Blackburn are noticeably better than us. Wigan maybe but win our game in hand and we are 2 points behind them, that's all. And only Shrewsbury have lost fewer games than us.

Frankly, automatic promotion is there for the taking for any side who put together a run of results. No reason why that shouldn't be us.
    Thanks Curbs :wink:
  • Options
    All the hype over Reeves was off the mark. Not a fan of Karlan but he did much better and should start on sat if Fosu is still unfit. Marshall is adding much to the line up and his physical strength and desire for that second goal made all the difference. There is a lack of leadership on the pitch which is why we are able to switch off so easily . Solly played a great game but you need someone on the pitch shouting and cajoling and he isn't it.
  • Options
    I like reeves. I like Clarke better but that’s because he plays a bit more like he wants it. I’d like to see how the two of them on the pitch at the same time would work. I did so want KAG to do well when he came on but IMO he just looks lost at times. Marshall’s best game in my view, particularly when you take into account we were generally poor overall. Solly is a great player and ever dependable and I agree he doesn’t seem to be the captain, shouting type. I think my spur of the moment comment at half time in the match thread probably hit the nail on the head - we were missing the players with bottle, that when the opposition gets in our faces and intimidates our players they give it back large and in spades.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Calvin Andrew's performance this evening highlighted how we need a better striker than Josh. Yes he works hard, but to little effect much of the time. Andrew won everything in the air, held the ball up well - decent layoffs too.

Again today our final ball was poor. Ricky needs to work on that, as it's his only weakness really.

We had a great spell after half time. KAG was excellent for his first ten or fifteen minutes, but rarely got the ball after that. Wish he'd scored with that header, the roof would have come off!

Marshall looked lively and will only improve. Reeves got mullered every time he had the ball, again.

Couple of great saves from Amos.

Naby Star.

Great effort by the drummer again!

Really? Doesn't his performance simply tell us that Rochdale play to his strengths, whereas we are not playing to Josh' strengths?

I mean who the ---- is Calvin Andrew? Would he get into the current N. Ireland team? Sure if you want to play 4-5-1 all the time it might be good to have someone who is mainly suited to that role, but if you want that type, who can do it a league above, I don't think it's Calvin Andrew.

Josh looks (is) more effective in 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, based on what I have seen of him for NI, against teams usually at least three levels up from Rochdale, including the world champions.

I 'm sure we'll be playing 4-5-1 if we get promoted, won't we?
    Agreed, Josh needs players playing much closer to him. It's clearly frustrating for us and for him when it's not working.

As for who the ---- is Calvin Andrew? I have no idea, but he looked pretty decent yesterday. Of course, that could be the best game he'll ever play for all I know.
  • Options
    Good 3 points after the disappointment of saturday. I wish we'd start hammering some teams though, our goal difference is poor compared to other top sides.

Huge game this weekend though, need to keep the unbeaten run going.

Blackburn are on a bit of a charge though, two comfortable away wins in 4 days for them.

Also just noticed that 3 of our next 4 away league games are Scunthorpe, Blackburn and Wigan!
  • Options

Ps. I reckon less than 6k in the ground tonight

and only 6 in the away end
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was 20 minutes late as had driven down from Newcastle via Hull so missed the Rochdale goal.

I’m knackered this morning so will try and find as many positives as I can.

Big Josh worked his socks off, as did DaSilva.
    Amos’s kicking was scandalously poor but he is a decent stopper with top reflexes when called upon.

Sometimes you have to win dirty - we were a different league last Saturday yet didn’t get the win.

Rochdale were better than us at the simple ball and their movement was good - they just lack a few quality players (hardly surprising when you consider the gates they get at Spotland). Thought they deserved a point but glad they lost as they were horribly cynical in the tackle at times.

KR will hopefully watch the playback of this game as we could learn a lot from the style Rochdale employ - technical players who keep it simple, knowing their individual roles well.

I can only assume the low crowd was full of die-hards tonight as some of the comments I’ve been reading are written by individuals who were clearly wearing rose-tinted spectacles.

We need another striker desperately as KAG is simply not up to it - he was decent for 5 minutes then went back to running around like a headless chicken as he fails to read the game naturally and also looked knackered after 10 minutes.

Get a decent striker in and Bauer and Pearce back and we should be back up to speed.

To finish on a positive note, on Saturday vs MK Dons I thought we looked mostly like a promotion team and KR was bang on when he pointed out how far we’ve come since MK gave us a footballl lesson at The Valley in April.
    We played so well that it made their late equaliser all the more painful.

Great to get the win and still very much in the hunt - we often struggle against the lowly sides so I’m expecting us to be up to the challenge and in with a shout at Scunny on Saturday.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Calvin Andrew's performance this evening highlighted how we need a better striker than Josh. Yes he works hard, but to little effect much of the time. Andrew won everything in the air, held the ball up well - decent layoffs too.

Again today our final ball was poor. Ricky needs to work on that, as it's his only weakness really.

We had a great spell after half time. KAG was excellent for his first ten or fifteen minutes, but rarely got the ball after that. Wish he'd scored with that header, the roof would have come off!

Marshall looked lively and will only improve. Reeves got mullered every time he had the ball, again.

Naby Star.

Really? Doesn't his performance simply tell us that Rochdale play to his strengths, whereas we are not playing to Josh' strengths?

I mean who the ---- is Calvin Andrew? Would he get into the current N. Ireland team? Sure if you want to play 4-5-1 all the time it might be good to have someone who is mainly suited to that role, but if you want that type, who can do it a league above, I don't think it's Calvin Andrew.

Josh looks (is) more effective in 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, based on what I have seen of him for NI, against teams usually at least three levels up from Rochdale, including the world champions.

Agreed, Josh needs players playing much closer to him. It's clearly frustrating for us and for him when it's not working.

As for who the ---- is Calvin Andrew? I have no idea, but he looked pretty decent yesterday. Of course, that could be the best game he'll ever play for all I know.
    Pretty sure they beat us at home last season and he scored then. He’s a decent forward with a big physical presence.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Must be to do with Calvin Andrew's Palace connections. Hard fought 3 points against another team of cloggers who got away with a lot of fouls in the 1st half.

Onwards to Scunthorpe now for a tough clash. They are on a good run now but so are we. They won't be looking forward to playing us, we have a good away record and they will be wary of that.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Calvin Andrew for those interested is a 31 year old journeyman pro who's plied his trade around the lower leagues at umpteen clubs and a Palarse reject to boot.

He's by no means a prolific goal scorer but is the ideal battering ram needed up front in the lower leagues. At the 3-3 draw at Spotland last season he let Tex & Konsa know what English Division 3 football was all about. You might remember him now @JamesSeed :wink:
  • Options
    Nug said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Naby Star.

Pretty sure they beat us at home last season and he scored then. He’s a decent forward with a big physical presence.
    Of course I was over the top with that comment to make a point, which is that if people seriously think we should have a "better striker" than Josh Magennis, I doubt it would be Andrew, although it would be a player with his strengths if we insist on playing 4-5-1 by default. But how much would such a player cost, who can deliver regularly a league above? £2m I would think at a rough estimate, and there would be 3-4 clubs chasing such a player at the same time.

I would be delighted if KAG grabs a goal, it all kicks into place, and he is the option to come on and play 4-4-2 with Josh when we want to. But if we are serious about promotion, we cannot rely on that scenario actually happening. Talking as if we need to replace Magennis seems to me to ignore the financial realities, as well as being unfair on an able and hardworking international footballer who has already played 4-5 games when everyone else in this division had a break.
  • Options
    I went last night and am just happy to have got 3 points.
    Rochdale done what a lot of teams have been doing at the valley this season, lots of niggly fouls and trips to put us off our stride. It's something that we have to learn to deal with.

First half hour or so we looked poor and deserved to be one down.then for me the turning point of the match.
    Rochdale hit the inside of the post and somehow the ball stays out.
    Had that gone in it would have been game over.
    Second half much better performance Caskey has a poachers instinct and his goals this season could prove decisive.
    KAG put in a decent shift when he came on for the second half but he really should have done better with his header from point blank range.

Marshall and Reeves still not as impressive as Clarke and Fosu looked earlier in the season but I think both will improve and contribute this season. Remember the season is really just starting for these two.

All in all not a great performance but a good result. I am going to Scunthorpe Saturday and still feeling quietly confident.
    COYR
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Calvin Andrew for those interested is a 31 year old journeyman pro who's plied his trade around the lower leagues at umpteen clubs and a Palarse reject to boot.

He's by no means a prolific goal scorer but is the ideal battering ram needed up front in the lower leagues. At the 3-3 draw at Spotland last season he let Tex & Konsa know what English Division 3 football was all about. You might remember him now @JamesSeed :wink:

He's also a little bastard who got himself a rather long ban for an incident last season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37876911
  • Options

RedChaser said:

He's also a little bastard who got himself a rather long ban for an incident last season.

Two wrongs don't make right but Peter Clarke is no angel either a bit like our Jason Pearce :wink:
  • Options
    God that was a scrappy game wasnt it... Really thought it was going to be identical in a way to the Bury game from earlier in the season - Rochdale didnt start great themselves but we looked half asleep with everything of note coming from them, whilst our own attacks struggled to form into anything (not helped by the persistent fouling).

They definitely deserved their goal and regardless of the result was pleased for the lad who was making his debut from the Academy - Must be something he's always dreamed of doing since becoming a professional Footballer

Once again though their goal didnt really wake us up and like Saturday we seemed to lose even more confidence with Rochdale maybe deserving a second - Of course they should have scored when they hit the post (Still dont know how that one stayed out) yet ironically like the Forster-Caskey miss on Saturday, it seemed to wake the other side up and in this case it was us.

Both our goals I thought were a right mess yet well taken from Forster-Caskey who played really well last night; thought that the second was a foul on the 'keeper for a moment before I realised what had happened.

Ahearne-Grant | Sarr | Magennis | Solly | Forster-Caskey | Amos were the key men from the match; the former (KAG) did a lot better than recent appearances and got himself into some good positions, its just a shame that Marshall decided to shot each time rather than threading the ball through for him to run on to - Special mention to Amos for the outstanding save he made in the last five minutes, as that ball reached the Rochdale player I was prepared for the equaliser!!

Also good to see that we came back from behind to win; like I said at the start I really thought it would be a case of the Bury match where we equalised and then couldnt find the second yet thats the first time we've from behind since Bolton in January!!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Two wrongs don't make right but Peter Clarke is no angel either a bit like our Jason Pearce :wink:
    No that they're not... Although wasnt this Andrew one an off the ball incident too?

On a plus side he is a good Striker and remember his well taken goal against us at the Valley last season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An unconvincing performance. Our central defence was absent for the first half-hour; Rochdale hit the inside of the post and but for a whisker would have been 2-0 up. No movement off the ball up front.

Robinson gave us a rocket at half-time: we came out with zip and verve. Magennis pressed the defenders in possession. Yet we are more an assembly of individuals than a coherent team. Rochdale were quite fluent with accurate diagonal passes to wingers; our midfield bottled out of tackles. Amos made crucial saves - then hoofed the ball directly out of play on three occasions. Rochdale missed a sitter five minutes from time.

We will miss Fosu, for his direct runs at the defence. I wouldn't fancy our chances in the play-offs if we continue as shakily as this.
  • Options
    Very bland and not up to your usual flowery reporting standards @Viewfinder. Your number one fan @ValleyGary will also be disappointed :wink:
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Massive game on Saturday and I'd take a 1-1 right now to be honest though personally I see Blackburn as a bigger threat for promotion

I'd take two points from the next two games to be honest

Scunthorpe are obviously on a good run; Peterborough have been on a terrible run after such a good start but I'm really conscious of the fact that they could quite easily re-kick start their season against us... Until last season we've been a proper bogey team for them but despite that am never that confident whenever we face them
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Yup, I was there for that one.
  • Options
    We are too fragile at the back and are letting the opposition have too many chances - should be conceding less than a goal a game if we are serious about promotion.

I think we have the quality for a top six position but think the top two will be Wigan and Blackburn.

Surprised Marshall isn't getting more credit on here. His second half display last night was excellent and he looks a quality player who can cross and has an eye for goal. Looking forward to seeing him play more.

Holmes isn't at his best at the moment and I think we're suffering a bit from this. Reeves is a big disappointment so far - not sure what's up.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Couple of good saves from Amos but kicking was pretty shite - though it is difficult to hit a target from 70 or 80 yards consistently as he only had one option in Josh

Bit harsh on Amos. Assumed his target was row z in the lower West. He hit that pretty consistently.
  • Options
    Yep, scrapped our way to a win. 4 points a deserved reward over the past 2 games, could have been 6, could have been 1...

Teams are clearly working out how best to set up and disrupt us at The Valley - Dale last night, AFCW a few weeks ago. Players like Clarke and JFC are good enough to get round that, but Reeves was either injured, roughed-up or too lightweight last night (not sure which).

For once a substitution made a difference. Frustrating that KAG didn't take that chance, last night he really looked like a player of promise. Maybe he can overcome the confidence hurdle, and it's good to see KR show some patience/faith in a younger player.
  • Options
    Few observations.

Negatives

Reckon about 5000 in the ground.
    Poor football from both teams throughout the whole game.
    Our 2 centre backs were woeful.
    Grant will never make it at this level.

Positives

JFK's finishing.
    Big Macs effort.
    Seeing Baur back, he must start if fit.

But the best part for me was when there manager lost it with our supporters just before we scored our first, what a prick!

• Options

But the best part for me was when there manager lost it with our supporters just before we scored our first, what a prick!

Didnt see... What happened?