Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope, the Premier League's outstanding keeper this season

Comments

• Options
    He can recover with us on loan for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    dislocated shoulder is a bad injury for a keeper, it can be a recurring injury at the best of times if not treated carefully and with patience, but for a keeper that uses their shoulder for impact with the ground etc it can be incredibly frustrating.
  • Options
    I know he is injured but could be forced to leave Burnley in January

If he doesnt he risks all that hard work this past year could be for nothing.

Burnley spending 4M on Joe Hart, and with Tom Heaton as well Pope could find himself 3rd choice when he returns.

We all know he is better than Hart but they wouldnt spend 4M for him not go be 1st choice
  • Options
    Pope has already kicked Hart out of the England squad and has proved he's the better keeper long-term.

£4m is pennies to a Premier League club.
  • Options

Pope has already kicked Hart out of the England squad and has proved he's the better keeper long-term.

Maybe true, but would they spend 4M for a 3rd choice keeper, if they were looking short term, they could just loan hart until Pope or Heaton returns, signing Hart does make me wonder about Popes future at Burnley
  • Options

Maybe true, but would they spend 4M for a 3rd choice keeper, if they were looking short term, they could just loan hart until Pope or Heaton returns, signing Hart does make me wonder about Popes future at Burnley
    Pope won't be fit for months will he ?
    Is Heaton fit yet ?
    If Hart starts and gets an immediate injury, then Heaton plays if fit or they have no fit keepers.
  • Options

Is Heaton fit yet ?
    If Hart starts and gets an immediate injury, then Heaton plays if fit or they have no fit keepers.
    They still have Lindegaard. I think Paulie has a point but I think it will be Heaton that departs in January
  • Options

Is Heaton fit yet ?
    Pope is out for 3-6 months
    Heaton not sure.

They have
    Anders Lindegaard and Adam Legzdins.

All I am saying is why buy Hart when they have Pope and Heaton who will both return at some point.

When they are both fit they have 3 keepers and Pope may have to move to get gametime.

If they just wanted cover whilst keepers were injured they would just loan Hart not buy him.
  • Options
    Tom Heaton back in goal tonight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Burnley fan stabbed in the leg over in Greece last night... Should recover you'd hope

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45292388
  • Options
    Just made an unbelievable save at Anfield
  • Options

Man of the match - Nick Pope (Burnley)

Pope was magnificent, making eight saves in the game to further underline his England credentials. His 14 clean sheets are the most of any goalkeeper in the Premier League this season

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, speaking to BBC Sport:
     "For moments it was Liverpool against Pope, he did really well, but we should have scored. We did everything right and he made saves but we should have scored more, that's on us.
  • Options
    Definitely the best English keeper, in terms of the basics (shot stopping, handling) at the moment

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Sheffield United have conceded 33 goals this season, take of the 6 against United when Henderson couldn't play takes it down to Henderson only conceding 27 goals in 33 games which is a fantastic return.

Pickford 100% shouldn't be number 1 and it should be between Henderson and Pope.

Henderson will be interesting next season he can't  go back to United and sit on the bench so if DDG stays and is number 1 then he has to leave, Henderson is to good to be a number 2
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I could see Ole looking at this as a chance to sell De Gea back to Spain and promote Henderson into the first team at Old Trafford. That would be the sensible move anyway.

Also, keep an eye on Chelsea. Lampard is not a fan of Kepa... (nor are most!)

Henderson no.1 at Man U and Pope no.1 at Chelsea next season?
  • Options
    brilliant save from Mane today
  • Options
    I could see Ole looking at this as a chance to sell De Gea back to Spain and promote Henderson into the first team at Old Trafford. That would be the sensible move anyway.

Also, keep an eye on Chelsea. Lampard is not a fan of Kepa... (nor are most!)

Henderson no.1 at Man U and Pope no.1 at Chelsea next season?
    Sell De Gea to who?

The big 3 don't need him and for the money United would want, no other Spanish club is affording him.

United do have an issue though (a pretty decent issue to have), in that they now have 2 top keepers on their books and you can't keep both happy.

Pretty clear Henderson isn't going to want to sit on the bench next year so i think United will have to sort out another loan for him.
  • Options
    As it stands you’re right. Just throwing out a theory for a bit of fun. Someone will want him if he’s available. Atleti might see an opportunity to cash in on Oblak for example.
  • Options
    Haven’t PSG been linked with De Gea though? Callum could be right and United cash in, probably the right move. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After Gordon Banks passed away, I was amazed to learn that Leicester got rid of him a year after we won the World Cup in 1966, but like United now they also had the problem of having a top keeper plus a really promising younger keeper (Peter Shilton) and opted for the younger player
  • Options
    Haven’t PSG been linked with De Gea though? Callum could be right and United cash in, probably the right move. 
    PSG have been linked with Henderson
  • Options
    I don't disagree with anything you say and Pope does need replacing before his confidence is totally shot to pieces.

However, the first goal was only one third his fault. Plenty of people have pointed out that Fox missed the tackle (but then they would because he is another favourite crowd target - again he needs to be rested) but I haven't seen one other person slate Solly for his role in the goal.

Perhaps because he is a "favoured" one. Who were the two who jumped out of the way of the ball in the wall because surely they should be dropped too.

Equally Mak and Ba both failed to miss the target by a country mile when it should have been easier to score. That is their job isn't it? I lost count the number of times Watt lost possession and in one or two cases that meant that not only did we lose the chance to create a meaningful opportunity to score but could have resulted in a goal on the counter to them. Kashi several times made poor passes resulting in a "turnover". 

JBG
     did an incredible reprise of the invisible man in the second half. Cousins was frequently caught out of position leaving Fox on his own on the left.

Sarr and Bauer stupidly gave away free kicks in dangerous areas because they allowed themselves to be bullied by Miller.

All those players made mistakes. The trouble with fans is that they are more forgiving of the ones they like and less the ones they don't. But the former are rarely as good as they are portrayed and the latter never as bad.

So, in summary, Pope and Fox need to be rested before they do totally implode. But let's not pretend that they were the only culpable ones last night because they weren't.
    Five years on from the 2-1 home defeat to Huddersfield and subsequent criticism of his performances to date, which of the above highlighted players are first choice at a PL Club?

Time and time again I have seen talented young sportsmen not performing at the level they are capable of because their confidence is shot to pieces. It doesn't mean that they don't have it in them to become excellent performers but, as sure as night follows day, getting on the back of a young player really isn't going to improve their performance. They have enough self doubt as it is without that being reinforced by others.

Pope has shown fantastic resilience to come through his period of being targeted for not being good enough. A judgement based on a keeper that had, at the time, played just 18 games for us - but who was signed at the end of that season by a PL Club.

A keeper at 23 rarely knows all of his game. Ben Foster, who is still playing in the PL at the age of 37 does. Buffon did too at 42. As does Pope now at 28.
  • Options
    Quality keeper, deserves to be England number one.
  • Options
    Talking of former Charlton keepers, Hamer made a major error yesterday for Derby

Another keeper (like Elliott) who has made a career of being a reserve keeper since leaving us.
  • Options
    Part of me wouldnt be surprised if Pope left for Chelsea with Burnley coming in for Phillips...
  • Options

Nick Pope: How does Burnley keeper stack up in race for England shirt?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53377564
  • Options
    Talking of former Charlton keepers, Hamer made a major error yesterday for Derby

Another keeper (like Elliott) who has made a career of being a reserve keeper since leaving us.
    Possibly controversial opinion incoming but I think Hamer is overrated by many on here and Stephen Henderson was superior. 
  • Options
    Nick Pope has 14 clean sheets and is level with Ederson

If he can keep 2 more clean sheets he will get the golden glove as he will have played more games than Ederson 

• Options
    Nick Pope has 14 clean sheets and is level with Ederson

If he can keep 2 more clean sheets he will get the golden glove as he will have played more games than Ederson 

Impressive, good for him