Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nick Pope, the Premier League's outstanding keeper this season

Comments

• With neither Forster or Hart playing at the moment, it could be between Heaton and Pope...

Butland?
    Even with him a few weeks ago, questions were being asked about his confidence on MoTD and whether he'd be right as England No.1 after being in a relegation battle this season

He'd be my choice and think the MoTD comment from one of the pundits was a facepalm moment!!
  • LenGlover said:

The number of ex keepers we have in The Prem is a sad testament to our judgement in that respect.

Not really, none of them were released voluntarily on the clubs part - they all wanted to leave for better opportunities in higher divisions than the one we were playing in at the time.
    Elliot, Pope and Hamer were all slated on here as was Randolph who has also played in the Premiership.
    Every player that has ever played for Charlton since Charlton Life was first founded has been slated on here at some point.
    Yann Kermorgant
    He was when we signed him - before anyone had actually seen him play.
    And the circumstances of him leaving was questioned by many too.....
  • LenGlover said:

The number of ex keepers we have in The Prem is a sad testament to our judgement in that respect.

Not really, none of them were released voluntarily on the clubs part - they all wanted to leave for better opportunities in higher divisions than the one we were playing in at the time.
    Elliot, Pope and Hamer were all slated on here as was Randolph who has also played in the Premiership.
    None of these keepers has established themselves as a No1 choice in the Prem - maybe Pope will be the first. Elliot has been in and out of the team at Newcastle, Randolph has dropped down a league and Hamer is used as a backup.

Keepers get stick because their mistakes are more costly than those of outfield players. Hamer and Pope seemed to get more grief at Charlton than the others.
  • With neither Forster or Hart playing at the moment, it could be between Heaton and Pope...

Butland?
    Sorry I meant in terms of a squad place, as I'm assuming Butland and Pickford will get the other 2 spots
  • I’m one that’s going to hold my hands up and say I got it wrong. Never thought he was a bad goalkeeper but I thought the deficiencies I saw in his game would take a lot longer to eliminate from his game than it has. Well done Nick.
  • I’m one that’s going to hold my hands up and say I got it wrong. Never thought he was a bad goalkeeper but I thought the deficiencies I saw in his game would take a lot longer to eliminate from his game than it has. Well done Nick.

Agree with you on this - always seemed prone to spilling low shots which I thought would stop him getting to the top.
  • In the form Pope is in, Heaton should have to wait to get back in to the Burnley side, as good as he was before he got injured, and if that means Pope gets the nod as 3rd choice keeper to Butland and Pickford, so be it.

No point taking Hart as 3rd choice. He's not even playing for West Ham. And really Forster should have less chance than his replacement at Saints, Alex McCarthy, let alone Pope.

16/1 seems generous in that respect. It should be Pope & McCarthy vying for the third spot, injuries pending.
  • Having a good season, but it would be different playing for England as he would be less busy (you would think) so concentration has to be there even for that odd chance or 2. Personally think he is a good shot stopper but feel we have better options even for a squad place.

Butland/Pickford - either one i would be happy with starting
    Joe Hart- Although not playing he has the experience
    Forster - Only just dropped recently, feel he is better option for club and will get back in the side
    Heaton - Fantastic keeper just has been injured. I reckon he will get no1 back, regardless whether Pope makes a mistake or not

All of the above i can see ahead of him, if they are going to put for experiance/ up and coming Gunn from Norwich / Man City looks a great prospect.
  • Having a good season, but it would be different playing for England as he would be less busy (you would think) so concentration has to be there even for that odd chance or 2. Personally think he is a good shot stopper but feel we have better options even for a squad place.

Forster - Only just dropped recently, feel he is better option for club and will get back in the side
    Heaton - Fantastic keeper just has been injured. I reckon he will get no1 back, regardless whether Pope makes a mistake or not

All of the above i can see ahead of him, if they are going to put for experiance/ up and coming Gunn from Norwich / Man City looks a great prospect.

Hart is dire; has been for a long time
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:

Having a good season, but it would be different playing for England as he would be less busy (you would think) so concentration has to be there even for that odd chance or 2. Personally think he is a good shot stopper but feel we have better options even for a squad place.

Whilst i tend to agree, West Ham supporters (A few different ones, not same group) they feel he did not do anything wrong to get dropped for them. I would personally have him behind Heaton/Forster but ahead of Pope.
  • wmcf123 said:

Having a good season, but it would be different playing for England as he would be less busy (you would think) so concentration has to be there even for that odd chance or 2. Personally think he is a good shot stopper but feel we have better options even for a squad place.

Whilst i tend to agree, West Ham supporters (A few different ones, not same group) they feel he did not do anything wrong to get dropped for them. I would personally have him behind Heaton/Forster but ahead of Pope.
    Yes, Hart seemed to playing OK for them when he was dropped, though wasn't outstanding either. Their main problem was the lack of effort shown by the outfield players under Bilic

• wmcf123 said:

Results have been improved since Adrian returned

In fact looking at it in the Prem West Ham won 2 games with Hart in goal(Huddersfield and Swansea)
    Whilst they have only lost 2 with Adrian(Man City and Newcastle)

• Results have been improved since Adrian returned

In fact looking at it in the Prem West Ham won 2 games with Hart in goal(Huddersfield and Swansea)

Yes Paulie, i am aware of this... i was saying based on performance. Yes their results have definitely improved since. For whatever reason they are playing a bit more solid now , maybe confidence in Adrian, maybe the upturn in form from the team? i dont really care tbh just stating that when he was dropped he wasn't making clangers just different keeper preferred. Hopefully this means he has no chance of being No1 for England, but you never know lol
  • Results have been improved since Adrian returned

Yes Paulie, i am aware of this... i was saying based on performance. Yes their results have definitely improved since. For whatever reason they are playing a bit more solid now , maybe confidence in Adrian, maybe the upturn in form from the team? i dont really care tbh just stating that when he was dropped he wasn't making clangers just different keeper preferred. Hopefully this means he has no chance of being No1 for England, but you never know lol

Take a chill pill

I wasnt arguing with what u said.

Just making a point that, results have turned around,

Agree with you on this - always seemed prone to spilling low shots which I thought would stop him getting to the top.
    IMO that was Pope's only weakness, apart from anxiety. But in that last run of games on his return to the Charlton 1st team, he wasn't spilling low shots.
    Despite being in a struggling side, he seemed really assured, good positioning and commanding his box well, plus some stunning reflex saves.

That final game when we lost 3-0 to Champions Burnley, Pope put in a terrific performance, despite being on the losing side.
    Burnley must have been impressed. No wonder they signed him soon after.

• Pope to Liverpool , 10 million , you heard it here first.
  • Pope to Liverpool , 10 million , you heard it here first.

Liverpool then buy Konsa
    ----------Pope---------
    Konsa VVD Gomez

3 of Liverpools title winning back 4 will then be ex Charlton
    Perhaps they can buy Lennon and Sarr as well. Lennon has the right name to play for Liverpool, while Sarr is only 1 letter out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Full page in today's Mirror singing the praises of Nick Pope.

Team mates rate him as player of the season so far. Another world class save v Southampton to give Burnley a share of the points this weekend. He has chalked up 11 clean sheets in total and is also credited as the main reason for Burnley's lofty 7th position (despite failing to win in their last eleven games.)

Gareth Southgate was there to witness Pope's performance and there is some smart money being placed on his inclusion for next months friendlies v Holland and Germany. Either way it'll be interesting to see what happens next, especially now that Burnley's established number one, Tom Heaton is back in full training.

Saw that save on MOTD...superb, hard to believe Burnley are holding on to that 7th place considering their current form.
  • Pleased it is going so well for Pope, based on his form this season he deserves to be in serious consideration for England, I would have him & Pickford competing for the starting spot with Butland as 3rd choice.
  • Not taking anything way from Pope as he has been superb but i think when fit, that Heaton is England's best keeper
  • It is a good job that we didn't sell him for peanuts. Doh!!
  • dickplumb said:

It is a good job that we didn't sell him for peanuts. Doh!!

What did we sell him for?
  • Not taking anything away from Pope, as I have always rated him, but he does have a very good defence in front of him and I hope he gets a chance in the national squad.
  • dickplumb said:

What did we sell him for?
    I heard it was 400000 pounds.

• 16/1 to make Wod cup squad
    Pickford 1/4
    Butland 1/3
    Hart 8/11
    Forster 8/1
    Heaton 8/1
    Pope 16/1

See... Its crazy that he's behind Tom Heaton in the odds!!

Bookies get it right more often than not yet seriously, how can Pope be behind a bloke (who is a damned good 'keeper) for the England squad yet has barely played this season?

I'd also put Forster behind both Pope and (a fit) Heaton!!
    Would never have Forster...shocking keeper
  • dickplumb said:

It's not as if he was much sought after at the time though. While Burnley got him for a bargain price, it has to be assumed that the coaching he got there has also significantly improved him