Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nick Pope, the Premier League's outstanding keeper this season

Comments

• dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

It is a good job that we didn't sell him for peanuts. Doh!!

What did we sell him for?
    I heard it was 400000 pounds.

dont worry it was well spent paying off the likes of Bergdich etc etc
  • On paper at least Pope always looked capable of continuing to improve - strong academically (= a learning ethic), and a late-starter and hence relatively green by the time he was seeing league action. The club clearly saw long-term potential, too (for which Avory & others must deserve credit).

So we shouldn't be surprised that some of those faults have been eliminated, though I think his distribution is still below PL standard, let along international.

In a way, the lack of an obvious, in-form England #1 is probably hampering. Were Hart still in his pomp and a strong back-up in place, you could make a good case for Pope going to get experience etc. But even as we are I think he's worth a look.

Too many managers play it safe in picking these squads. Always think that a maverick/unexpected pick as the 22nd or 23rd squad member is worth a go - e.g. I seriously would have considered Super Clive for the '98 squad - he was bang in form and liable to nick a goal out of nothing
  • On paper at least Pope always looked capable of continuing to improve - strong academically (= a learning ethic), and a late-starter and hence relatively green by the time he was seeing league action. The club clearly saw long-term potential, too (for which Avory & others must deserve credit).

So we shouldn't be surprised that some of those faults have been eliminated, though I think his distribution is still below PL standard, let along international.

In a way, the lack of an obvious, in-form England #1 is probably hampering. Were Hart still in his pomp and a strong back-up in place, you could make a good case for Pope going to get experience etc. But even as we are I think he's worth a look.

Too many managers play it safe in picking these squads. Always think that a maverick/unexpected pick as the 22nd or 23rd squad member is worth a go - e.g. I seriously would have considered Super Clive for the '98 squad - he was bang in form and liable to nick a goal out of nothing

I love Mendonca as much as the next man, but that would have been bloody mental. Off the top of my head we had Shearer, Owen, Sherringham, Fowler, Cole, Wright, and Le Tissier all available and all used to scoring 20+ goals in the Premier League at that time. And Phillips who’d scored a lot more than Mendonca in Div 1. Even Charlton fans would’ve thought it was mad to take him ahead of that lot.

Remember Walcott? A waste of space in 2006.
  • Injury to Butland/Pickford or Hart and he will be in the squad, if he is in contention would need to play the upcoming friendlies. Personally think we need to pick out of Butland or Pickford in these friendlies, although Hart hasn't done alot wrong he isn't playing so by default he needs to be 3rd choice imo.
  • Hart should go IMO. But only as 3rd choice and because he is our only experienced option.

Remember that world cup (was it 2010?) When we took Green as forst choice an uncapped Hart and David James. James ended up finishing the tournament as number 1 after Green was crucified for his howler and it was decided Hart shouldn't be thrown in at that stage. That is the role I want him to play now.

The other 2 should be Pickford and Butland. Pope as back up.
  • Hart should go IMO. But only as 3rd choice and because he is our only experienced option.

Remember that world cup (was it 2010?) When we took Green as forst choice an uncapped Hart and David James. James ended up finishing the tournament as number 1 after Green was crucified for his howler and it was decided Hart shouldn't be thrown in at that stage. That is the role I want him to play now.

Completely agree!

Worryingly though if Hart goes I think your right about the 2010 theory.

We'll play Tunisia with Butland (He'd be my first choice) making a mistake like what Green made... Joe Hart will then come in like what David James did, who really shouldnt have been there in the first place
  • I heard it was £800k but Sky said £1.1m the other day.

At the time it was largely seen as good business because he was supposedly shit!
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember seeing him absolutely quality for York in the play offs. He always had the potential, the boo boys just never let him.
  • Always looked very nervous when he played for us, can't believe he is being mentioned for England.
  • Tom Heaton will be ready to play in the next week or two. A massive call for Dyche to make
  • Remember seeing him absolutely quality for York in the play offs. He always had the potential, the boo boys just never let him.

Out of all the saves he made I've never forgotten one he made in that second Leg of the Play-Offs

Tom Heaton will be ready to play in the next week or two. A massive call for Dyche to make

Its something I'm watching out for with great interest
  • Out performed Hart big time on Saturday.

Hart's fault for Burnley's 3rd and 2 good stops by Nick in the 1st half.
  • Typical palm stinger from JBG that Hart spilled.
  • Big congratulations to Nick Pope. The keeper who, apparently, wasn't was good enough for us ... BBC link.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
    In his time with us Nick was a good keeper and pulled off some great saves but nobody could deny he was dodgy with a bouncing ball. He definitely had potential but don't think anyone would have seen him taking his chance at Burnley so well. Perhaps it's down to better coaching and not being in a toxic atmosphere that's built his confidence up.

Anyway well done Nick and hope you get the chance to get your cap.
  • If Heaton didn't get injured Nick Pope would still be a number 2 for Burnley with half a dozen cup games in 2 years behind him but fate decided otherwise. Nick's weakness was the bouncing ball at his body. He must of worked hard at over coming this flaw. He stats are superb. The form of the other keepers are flakey. Good luck Nick, I for one was gutted when he left as felt he could be part of the journey back to the Championship. Bigger things await now. Heaton or Pope Burnley fans ?

At WH the Burnley fans were singing “England’s no1” re Pope. Nuff said.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VkZAQAK7Z8

Didn't quite expect an England call up but was certain he'd establish himself in the Premier League one day. Well done Nick Pope.
  • Redhenry said:

Always looked very nervous when he played for us, can't believe he is being mentioned for England.

Had a huge flaw when it came to low shots straight at him. But that was down to technique and has clearly been coached out of him. Anyone who knows anything about goalkeeping knew he was gonna be quality and play at a high level. He's just done it quicker than I thought.
  • I would love to see all the people on this forum and others I have read on other forums who said Pope was useless and should be got rid of, stand up and apologise on their forums. I never saw as much of Pope as some of you but what I saw I thought he could do well with experience, something other fans were not ready to give him. WELL DONE NICK AND MAY YOUR CAREER KEEP UP AT THE TOP