Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celebrities That Are Still Alive

Comments

• Options
    HarryLime said:

French fashion designer Pierre Cardin is 95, although he didn't broadcast on Radio Luxembourg like Pete Murray, so I'm not sure he's famous enough to be on Chirpy's list.

Fantastic shout Harry. Can't believe he has been omitted for so long. Not just a celebrity but an icon of the world of 20thC fashion.
  • Options

Joan Collins

<90 so doesn't qualify I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

Being an astronaut does not make you a celebrity unless you are Neil Armstrong. It's just a job.
    "Well known people in public life that are still around".

If you're an astronaut, you're in public life.

If you're the subject of an Oscar and Bafta winning feature movie, you're well known. Especially if you wrote the book the movie is based on. And appeared in it. And the movie is about a mission to the moon, part of which is named after you. And it's only one of three movies made about you.

Jim Lovell is a well-known person who was in public life. So he's in the list.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

Being an astronaut does not make you a celebrity unless you are Neil Armstrong. It's just a job.

If you're the subject of an Oscar and Bafta winning feature movie, you're well known. Especially if you wrote the book the movie is based on. And appeared in it. And the movie is about a mission to the moon, part of which is named after you. And it's only one of three movies made about you.

No he doesn't qualify for this thread I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

He's well known and in public life. They're the criteria and that's why he qualifies.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

He's well known and in public life. They're the criteria and that's why he qualifies.
    Sorry fella he is not well known. If you asked 100 random people in this country (like they do on Pointless) who Jim Lovell was I don't reckon any more than 2 people would know without further information than just his name.
    As for the criteria well that is up to me as it is my thread and that is why he does not qualify. Now go to bed.
    The criteria are: 1. Is the person in public life and 2. Is the person well known.

Obviously Jim Lovell was in public life. He was a public servant and every - literally every - move he made was in public. And he wasn't just well known. He was, during the period of the Apollo 13 mission the most famous person in the whole universe.

He may well have slipped from the imagination of people of today, but that's what happens over the decades. That's why he's in the list. Because he meets the criteria.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

Sorry fella he is not well known. If you asked 100 random people in this country (like they do on Pointless) who Jim Lovell was I don't reckon any more than 2 people would know without further information than just his name.
    As for the criteria well that is up to me as it is my thread and that is why he does not qualify. Now go to bed.
    The criteria are: 1. Is the person in public life and 2. Is the person well known.

Obviously Jim Lovell was in public life. He was a public servant and every - literally every - move he made was in public. And he wasn't just well known. He was, during the period of the Apollo 13 mission the most famous person in the whole universe.

He may well have slipped from the imagination of people of today, but that's what happens over the decades. That's why he's in the list. Because he meets the criteria.
    Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

Well I would think that a few others could challenge that outrageous and totally ridiculous claim; Muhammed Ali for one. I wouldn't think many people outside of Florida had heard of Jim Lovett or whatever his names was.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

Look pal I set the criteria and not you. He does not qualify for this thread. Start your own one for people who were nearly famous but never quite made the grade and you can have your precious Jim Lovell at No.1.
    I know you set the criteria. You set them back in September last year, in your first post on this thread.
    Riviera said:

In conjunction with the obsession with RIP threads on here and my own surprise that the late Tony Booth hadn't died years ago, may I propose that we name well known people in public life that are still around. Can we please set the minimum age to be 90 years old.
    Here are a few:

Olivia De Havilland (101) - Actress who played Maid Marion in The Adventures of Robin Hood starring Errol Flynn in 1938 and also Gone With The Wind
    Kirk Douglas (100) - Spartacus - Say no more!
    Dennis Norden (95) - Comedy writer
    (Lord) Peter Carrington (98) - Decorated war veteran, Government Minister, Secretary General of NATO
    President Jimmy Carter (92)
    Everton Weekes (92) West Indian Test Cricketer and one of The Three W's
    Pete Murray (92) Original Radio1 DJ
    Katie Boyle (91) Actress and TV personality
    Nicholas Parsons (93) Actor and TV/Radio personality
    Doris Day (95) Singer and actress
    David Attenborough (91) - Naturalist and broadcaster
    Mel Brooks (91) Actor/Producer/Director

Please post your own, respectfully.

JJ doesn't qualify!

It's straightforward. You set the criteria; and he qualifies. Respectfully.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

Look pal I set the criteria and not you. He does not qualify for this thread. Start your own one for people who were nearly famous but never quite made the grade and you can have your precious Jim Lovell at No.1.
    I know you set the criteria. You set them back in September last year, in your first post on this thread.
    Riviera said:

In conjunction with the obsession with RIP threads on here and my own surprise that the late Tony Booth hadn't died years ago, may I propose that we name well known people in public life that are still around. Can we please set the minimum age to be 90 years old.
    Here are a few:

Olivia De Havilland (101) - Actress who played Maid Marion in The Adventures of Robin Hood starring Errol Flynn in 1938 and also Gone With The Wind
    (Lord) Peter Carrington (98) - Decorated war veteran, Government Minister, Secretary General of NATO

JJ doesn't qualify!

No he doesn't. He is not well known in public life save a few days in April 1970. Dana was better known than him in April 1970. I was around then, I doubt you were son.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

Riviera said:

Here are a few:

JJ doesn't qualify!

No he doesn't. He is not well known in public life save a few days in April 1970. Dana was better known than him in April 1970. I was around then, I doubt you were son.
    If you don't like my rules then, as I said, start your own thread for people who are 90+ and do it with @LenGlover
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

Riviera said:

Here are a few:

JJ doesn't qualify!

Of course he does! He was the most talked-about person in the world, while performing his public duty.

Donald Trump was the most talked about person in his annus mirabilis in 2016. Pope Francis in 2013. Obama in 2008. Bill Clinton in 1992. Gorbachev in 1987. Lech Walesa in 1981. Reagan in 1980. All of them world famous in their time. Discussed all round the planet. Examples of "well known people in public life". All recipients of the accolade Time Person of the Year. As was Jim Lovell, in 1968.

You may be right that he was famous for a few days in 1970. But he was stratospherically well known across every corner of the connected earth in 1968.

Cast around for people who were living in various parts of the world, from Teddington to Timbuktu and from Fiji to the Faroes in 1968 and ask them who made an impression on their lives that year. I think you'll find Jim Lovell will prove a more popular answer than even Dennis Norden, Peter Carrington and Katie Boyle, each of whom has singularly failed to reach the attention of Time magazine.

He's clearly more famous than some on the list; that's why he's on it.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

Riviera said:

Here are a few:

JJ doesn't qualify!

Of course he does! He was the most talked-about person in the world, while performing his public duty.

Donald Trump was the most talked about person in his annus mirabilis in 2016. Pope Francis in 2013. Obama in 2008. Bill Clinton in 1992. Gorbachev in 1987. Lech Walesa in 1981. Reagan in 1980. All of them world famous in their time. Discussed all round the planet. Examples of "well known people in public life". All recipients of the accolade Time Person of the Year. As was Jim Lovell, in 1968.

You may be right that he was famous for a few days in 1970. But he was stratospherically well known across every corner of the connected earth in 1968.

Cast around for people who were living in various parts of the world, from Teddington to Timbuktu and from Fiji to the Faroes in 1968 and ask them who made an impression on their lives that year. I think you'll find Jim Lovell will prove a more popular answer than even Dennis Norden, Peter Carrington and Katie Boyle, each of whom has singularly failed to reach the attention of Time magazine.

He's clearly more famous than some on the list; that's why he's on it.
    But it's my list and he is NOT on it. Get over it you weirdo.
  • Options
    The other reason he's on it, of course, is that he's the most talked-about celebrity on this thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Chizz said:

The other reason he's on it, of course, is that he's the most talked-about celebrity on this thread.

Only by you, and he's still not on it.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:

I've talked about him on this thread less than you have.

But that's not the reason he's on the list.

Well done, @Algarveaddick - Jim Lovell was an excellent nomination and certainly deserves his place on the list.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

I've talked about him on this thread less than you have.

But that's not the reason he's on the list.
    Go get some help son.
  • Options
    You're not going to take that lying down are you Chizz
  • Options

It's not a case if not taking it. I'm just agreeing with the sensible suggestion @Algarveaddick wisely made. I'm glad Jim Lovell made the list: he's certainly increased the celebrity status.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

It's not a case if not taking it. I'm just agreeing with the sensible suggestion @Algarveaddick wisely made. I'm glad Jim Lovell made the list: he's certainly increased the celebrity status.
    Only your list and not mine which is the official list of this thread. And when has @Algarveaddick ever said anything wise?
  • Options
    Lovell definitely should be on the list and his presence enhances it. If the list has become too full, then, Pete Murray should be removed from it.
  • Options
    Nobody seems to have mentioned Cleo Laine. A proper celebrity, who turned 90 last year.

• Options

Nobody seems to have mentioned Cleo Laine. A proper celebrity, who turned 90 last year.

Great addition, a true celeb.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Turns out Jim Lovell is the only astronaut to have flown to the moon twice and never landed.

Not even a successful astronaut, let alone famous enough for this thread, then.
  • Options
    I will correct myself
    This thread should be renamed "why Riviera doesn't think that Jim Lovell, one of the most well known people in the world" isn't famous"
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Only your list and not mine which is the official list of this thread. And when has @Algarveaddick ever said anything wise?
    Earlier in this very thread I said you should stop being a twat Chirps... :wink:
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Jim Lovell.

Riviera said:

Here are a few:

JJ doesn't qualify!

You are the same age as me - the only thing you will remember from 1970 is how much was in your piggy bank... :lol:
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I know he's been mentioned before but I just saw a poster for a Charles Azavnour concert here later this year. Not bad for 93!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

HarryLime said:

French fashion designer Pierre Cardin is 95, although he didn't broadcast on Radio Luxembourg like Pete Murray, so I'm not sure he's famous enough to be on Chirpy's list.

Fantastic shout Harry. Can't believe he has been omitted for so long. Not just a celebrity but an icon of the world of 20thC fashion.
    Never heard of him......