Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celebrities That Are Still Alive

Comments

• Options

Can I come back in an hour and a half?

You'll be most welcome. You'll have to beat @LenGlover though...
  • Options

As a matter of interest have we any other 90 year old former players or current fans? Should be a roll of honour.

Arthur Turner from the 1945-46 cup final team is 97 or thereabouts. My wife knows his niece.
  • Options
    Kent cricketer Derek Ufton. What a man, met him a few times and worked with his son Tim in the 90's.

• Options
    Riviera said:

Kent cricketer Derek Ufton. What a man, met him a few times and worked with his son Tim in the 90's.

Indeed a gentleman of the first order.......one of the original Brylcream Boys.
  • Options

As a matter of interest have we any other 90 year old former players or current fans? Should be a roll of honour.

inkblot for example?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Arthur Turner from the 1945-46 cup final team is 97 or thereabouts. My wife knows his niece.
    Very interesting thanks Len. Have just looked up his career. He is the only player to appear in an FA Cup Final who never played a league game up to then. He was an amateur and he played nine games out of ten in Charlton's run up to the 1946 Cup Final. They were two-legged Cup ties, as it was the only competition that season (no league matches). Arthur was a centre forward and scored three goals against Preston North End over the two legs, the same against Brentford. He didn't play a significant role in the Final, unlike the unrelated Bert who scored for both sides. The following season Arthur played his football for Colchester.

• Options
    At the risk of getting told off by Riviera for cluttering up his thread, have just read that Arthur is the oldest living FA cup Final player. And he shares a birthday January 22 with Sam Bartram by the way.
  • Options
    Michael Craig Actor born 27 January 1928
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Riviera said:

His son Jonathan won a rugby blue at Cambridge and played for Wasps.

http://www.espn.com/rugby/story/_/id/15371001/ufton-impress
  • Options
    Glyn Houston actor born 23 October 1925
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Yet again Len this is SOMEONE who is 90+ and not a celebrity. Just being a jobbing actor is no more a celebrity than a 90 year old who once worked as a bin man.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Glyn Houston actor born 23 October 1925

Yep good one Len. Who could forget Keep it in the Family?
    Was good in Morse too when a young Liz Hurley made her TV debut.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

Yet again Len this is SOMEONE who is 90+ and not a celebrity. Just being a jobbing actor is no more a celebrity than a 90 year old who once worked as a bin man.
    He was more than a jobbing actor, he appeared in loads of films in the fifties and had a couple of lead roles on TV. Take a look at his IMDB entry. And I saw him play in a celebrity cricket match many years ago so he must be a celebrity!

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Sylvia Miles born September 9 1924 Actress

Twice nominated for the academy award (Oscar) for best supporting actor. One of those nominations was Midnight Cowboy where she played the middle aged woman who invited Jon Voight's character, would be young male gigolo Joe Buck, to her apartment for sex.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Sylvia Miles born September 9 1924 Actress

Twice nominated for the academy award (Oscar) for best supporting actor. One of those nominations was Midnight Cowboy where she played the middle aged woman who invited Jon Voight's character, would be young male gigolo Joe Buck, to her apartment for sex.

Not a celebrity. Another fail Len.
  • Options
    can someone run the conditions for this thread by me..? I'm really trying to follow it but having some difficulty?? Seems very arbitrary to me if a local cricketer counts but an oscar nominee doesn't.

I'm only 34 so perhaps i'm missing something or (more likely) being totally wooshed ?- is this thread supposed to be ironic?

I've enjoyed reading it anyway!
  • Options
    edited June 2018

can someone run the conditions for this thread by me..? I'm really trying to follow it but having some difficulty?? Seems very arbitrary to me if a local cricketer counts but an oscar nominee doesn't.

I'm only 34 so perhaps i'm missing something or (more likely) being totally wooshed ?- is this thread supposed to be ironic?

Riviera has an imaginary list, which he’s entitled to and by default “owns”.
    But he hasn’t shared this list and for some reason, he thinks he “owns” the thread. If you mention someone he hasn’t heard of, he says it’s a “fail”. But all it’s failed to do is sit on his imaginary list.
    If YOU offer a name and if that person is 90+ and if YOU consider the person to be a ‘celebrity’, then they’re on the thread, regardless of whether Riviera agrees with you. Unless he posts his definitive “list”, his opinion is of no consequence.
    It’s just Chirpy being Chirpy.

:smiley:
  • Options
    alright you lot.. this is a woosh isn't it... my bad lol does anyone want to get me up to speed with this or is the whole forum going to rip the piss?
  • Options
    And that’s Numberwang.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

alright you lot.. this is a woosh isn't it... my bad lol does anyone want to get me up to speed with this or is the whole forum going to rip the piss?

My answer was actually accurate. You can post anyone you think is a celebrity who is over 90. That’s it.
  • Options

My answer was actually accurate. You can post anyone you think is a celebrity who is over 90. That’s it.

Fair enough! I'll reiterate my point that it seems a little arbritrary... i'll do some digging!
  • Options
    George Cole?
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Whoever @Riviera deems to be a celebrity that is extant and older than 90.

That's it.

Find people, make sure they are not mentioned already, list them if not and await judgement from the Lord and Master!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Manicmania, as pointed out by others, it's determined by Chirpy's limited sphere of knowledge. Michael Craig and Silvia Miles being outside his little bubble, don't count. He is not a man who likes to learn, but mainly he doesn't like to agree with Len. :wink:

Especially after closing time... :lol:
  • Options
    Who's chirpy? I haven't seen the name pop up in this thread?
  • Options

It’s @Henry Irving’s previous user name
  • Options
    edited June 2018

In a former life @Riviera was known as @Chirpy Red hence references by those long in the tooth amongst us to 'Chirpy' or 'Chirps.'
  • Options

In fairness to Chirpy (why?!) Derek Ufton was not only a Kent cricketer but also an England international footballer in his prime. Moreover he played for Charlton and is almost the last surviving player from the halcyon days of Jimmy Seed's management when Charlton were a first division club. The equivalent of the Premiership now.

Back then first division was what it said on the tin: top tier. None of this namby pamby Premiership, Championship, League One, League Two nonsense!

Apologies if all this is stuff you already know but as you said you are only 34 it occurs that you may not.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

In fairness to Chirpy (why?!) Derek Ufton was not only a Kent cricketer but also an England international footballer in his prime. Moreover he played for Charlton and is almost the last surviving player from the halcyon days of Jimmy Seed's management when Charlton were a first division club. The equivalent of the Premiership now.

Back then first division was what it said on the tin: top tier. None of this namby pamby Premiership, Championship, League One, League Two nonsense!

Apologies if all this is stuff you already know but as you said you are only 34 it occurs that you may not.
    I didn't but I appreciate the info! Will definitely be looking him up so thanks :)

For the record though, I think I can speak for my generation and at least 1 above me... the guy 100% ain't a celebrity- talk about niche! ...so I don't now why he makes the list?