Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

RedPanda said:

I wonder how many jobs that would cost. Honda said similar recently as well.

Never mind though, at least we'll have blue passports in a couple of years.
    Yes, all those orange robot arms will be looking for another job. :smile:
    The automotive industry is a vital part of the UK economy accounting for more than £77.5 billion turnover and £18.9 billion value added.

With some 169,000 people employed directly in manufacturing and in excess of 814,000 across the wider automotive industry, it accounts for 12.0% of total UK export of goods and invests £4 billion each year in automotive R&D.

More than 30 manufacturers build in excess of 70 models of vehicle in the UK supported by 2,500 component providers and some of the world’s most skilled engineers. :)
    Just to let you know... Honda are investing millions in their production and develomenrt facility in swindon..that includes millions on their security there... We have lost 4 C&I Techs in the last 3 months all left and gone there. I acknowledge they were all mates and apprentices together and we did not want to lose them., but most of these guys are married and with big mortgages. They highly likely to join an organisation that is likely to clear off.
    They will likely write that investment off (chicken feed to Honda) and shift production to the EU if they can’t sell their Civics into Europe tariff free. Either that or they will keep R&D here with a small, highly skilled and highly paid workforce and just shift the production to the EU where most of the jobs will go.

I hope I’m wrong and tariff free full access to the single market will be maintained.

Sorry i live 30 miles from Swindon and know people who work there and am linked to their locall news as inbetween regions There has never been one local story about them moving. Billions invested chicken feed...
    It’s billions now is it - you said millions.

Sorry, didn’t realise you were living so close and had the inside track on Honda’s corporate decisions.

I said ‘likely’ but hope I’m wrong. You know as much as I do, which is about as much as most people living 3,000 miles from Swindon know.
    They have been there for years have invested billions and continuing to do so.. Nothing like a good old scare story again without foundation..... Nothing new there though...
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

RedPanda said:

The automotive industry is a vital part of the UK economy accounting for more than £77.5 billion turnover and £18.9 billion value added.

With some 169,000 people employed directly in manufacturing and in excess of 814,000 across the wider automotive industry, it accounts for 12.0% of total UK export of goods and invests £4 billion each year in automotive R&D.

More than 30 manufacturers build in excess of 70 models of vehicle in the UK supported by 2,500 component providers and some of the world’s most skilled engineers. :)
    Just to let you know... Honda are investing millions in their production and develomenrt facility in swindon..that includes millions on their security there... We have lost 4 C&I Techs in the last 3 months all left and gone there. I acknowledge they were all mates and apprentices together and we did not want to lose them., but most of these guys are married and with big mortgages. They highly likely to join an organisation that is likely to clear off.
    They will likely write that investment off (chicken feed to Honda) and shift production to the EU if they can’t sell their Civics into Europe tariff free. Either that or they will keep R&D here with a small, highly skilled and highly paid workforce and just shift the production to the EU where most of the jobs will go.

I hope I’m wrong and tariff free full access to the single market will be maintained.

Sorry i live 30 miles from Swindon and know people who work there and am linked to their locall news as inbetween regions There has never been one local story about them moving. Billions invested chicken feed...

Sorry, didn’t realise you were living so close and had the inside track on Honda’s corporate decisions.

I said ‘likely’ but hope I’m wrong. You know as much as I do, which is about as much as most people living 3,000 miles from Swindon know.
    They have been there for years have invested billions and continuing to do so.. Nothing like a good old scare story again without foundation..... Nothing new there though...
    Ford have been in Dagenham longer. How many people do you know working there ?

• Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

RedPanda said:

I own it so loads creepy.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

RedPanda said:

I’m getting fed up with you calling me that.

• Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

RedPanda said:

Anyway, hows your mate barnier doing, apparrently the uk isn't doing its bit to stop isis. Not surprised anyone hasn't mentioned that this evening.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

RedPanda said:

Good.. Well stop following me about... Ignore me..
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

RedPanda said:

Good.. Well stop following me about... Ignore me..
    When you post shite I’ll respond. Got it.

• Options
    About swindon.. You know all about it..
  • Options
    I never respond to you only when you try to be sarcastic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

RedPanda said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/14/honda-uk-warns-mps-of-consequences-of-leaving-eu-customs-union

Not my scare story.
    Bill gates and google, always come up trumps... Write it and then google it...
  • Options
    What about those pesky Germans ?
    Announced yesterday that they were investing half a billion in UK pharma industry.
    What with Brexit round the corner - how very dare they.
  • Options
    @NornIrishAddick if you wrote a book I would read it
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    SDAddick said:

@NornIrishAddick if you wrote a book I would read it

It'd be longer than 'Why nations fail' ;)
  • Options
    Don't know what this bloke is on about!........obviously does not apply to any of us.....err....

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/nov/29/vortex-online-political-debate-arguments-trump-brexit
  • Options

Part 2

"I'm actually quite disappointed @Dippenhall with your response to the article about Peter Grant's views" Im disappointed when I read anti British rhetoric that would be condemned as Anglophobia if there was parity of standards in defining racial/ethnic discrimination. The anti UK sentiment can't disguise the fact that Ireland cannot make decisions in its own interests while it is a colony of the EU.

I have desperately sought a way of responding to this comment without stating that it is bollocks, but unfortunately, that is precisely what it is. There is nothing anti-British about the comments, suggesting that in the UK, many in Government, politics and the media are expressing views that seem to be rooted in an older, Imperial world view. The assumption that Ireland would just roll over, or that Australia and New Zealand would leap to offer trade agreements at the drop of the hat has been quite common. And the language of UK politicians, suggesting that Ireland is, in some way, still part of the UK or, to use your wording, a colony of the UK and obliged to follow the UK's lead, including the encouragement from Brexit supporters of Irexit, indicates that there is a lack of understanding that Ireland has been an independent state for some 95 years.

Ireland's economic interests are clearly best served by continued membership of the EU and retaining the integrity of the Single Market and the Customs Union. Very little could be more damaging to the Irish economy than to become a back door for importation of sub-standard or unregulated goods into the Single Market.

Politically, it wants and needs to secure the Good Friday Agreement. The only way that the Irish Government believes that the Good Friday Agreement can be secured is by retaining the border relationship as it now is. The stated intentions of the UK Government are contradictory and simply unworkable, to say nothing of lacking entirely in any sort of detail. If the UK Government had a detailed plan to address the border, it would have been to its advantage to provide it, placing the EU on the back foot. But they don't. Don't get me wrong, I like platitudes as much as the next man, but...

Ireland will not accept a position that is detrimental to its best interests. The EU position is to require Ireland's concerns to be met. The EU's acceptance of the Irish view on the border clearly demonstrates that Ireland is not some vassal state or colony of the EU.

However, the real shame is that relations between the two countries have recently been better than they have been for almost all of those years, the demonisation of the Irish Government over the last few weeks will do little to ensure that this remains the case. In fact, far from being anti-UK, the current minority Government, led by Fine Gael (often decried by Sinn Fein supporters as "West Brits") is about as pro-British as it could be. The fact that this Government is solidly on the same page as Fianna Fail about the border shows that the Irish Government perspective is widely shared in the country.

Supporting the EU stance, and refusing to first develop a trade relationship that obviated a border problem in Ireland is a strange way of acting independently in the interests of Ireland. Supporting the notion that the UK could come up with a border solution to a problem unable to be articulated until it was known if there was a FTA, WTO rules trade or a micro single market is hardly acting independently in the interests of Ireland.

The problem with your argument is that it is the EU that is supporting the Irish position, not the other way round. And it is clear that the UK had not seriously considered the border a problem, given the way it seems to have bitten the Government on the arse in recent weeks. The border problem can clearly be articulated now, because the UK Government has determined that it wants out of both Single Market and Customs Union. This desire leaves only two options available, a Free Trade Agreement or no deal. There is no circumstance where, under WTO rules and outside the Customs Union, all controls on imported goods can be abandoned, unlike tariffs, on the border in Ireland without adopting unilateral free trade.

The Irish Government (and the EU) is representing the interests of the majority of people on both sides of the border on the island. But, you are right, the Irish Government is not acting independently, it is, in fact, acting in concert with its fellow member states as an equal. Personally, I don't find that to be a problem (from an Irish perspective), because acting independently is another way of saying acting alone (and while it's okay to listen to the song "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose", it's not much fun to live it).

The EU is using Ireland as a bargaining chip just as it is using citizens rights, and now following Barnier's speech on security, stoops to the level of making intelligence sharing to fight terrorism a bargaining chip. Presumably Barnier is rejecting the message May gave in her Florence speech that the UK wanted to go further than the current arrangements and develop a more effective intelligence sharing arrangement across all European states, not just those in the EU.

The Irish position is no different to the UK's position on the desired outcome for no hard border. If we are talking about bollox, can we include the UK wanting a "hard Brexit", which I assume means no deal. A hard Brexit if it happens will be because the EU thinks the pain for the EU is worth taking, compared to what it hopes it will cause for the UK. Ireland is a pawn in their game and will not prevent the EU sacrificing peace in Ireland, as long as the blame can be put at the feet of the UK because it voted Brexit. If Ireland could dictate to the EU it would demand a special internal market on a bilateral agreement between the UK and Ireland - it can't, the EU trumps every other card, so will act as best it can to pretend the EU is supporting it's priority to find a border solution.

The EU simply uses the strategies that prevent the means to agreement being reached so it can stall progress, pressurise the UK to cough up more money, yet give the impression it is the fault of the UK. It is its go to strategy and it is has no equal in negotiating skills in using its control of information fed to the media to undermine the other side's position, ask my old mate Varafoukis, he's a staunch left wing anti Brexit Europhile on QT tonight. Our negotiators are pussy cats compared to the EU team.

Ireland is already in the Eurozone and the benefits Ireland receives as an EU member and net recipient means it is unlikely to want to leave, as is the case for most other EU members. A united states of Europe under fiscal jurisdiction of a central bank will make the EU stronger and at that stage virtually impossible to leave, even for the net contributors whose citizens might not agree with EU policy. There should be no reason why the EU so fears an exodus of other nations, the UK would need to join the Eurozone ultimately and is leaving using a window of opportunity that will be neither open to, nor desirable for other nations. The EU's cynical, vindictive dog-in-the manger approach only reinforces every Brexit voter's negative views of the EU, many of which were probably not justified, but are now.

Why there has been such vitriolic denial on here of the ambition and logic of fiscal union is beyond me. Even @Fiiish doesn't like me any more just for saying it. Suggests a poor understanding of how a single market operates to achieve optimum efficiency and more importantly, to ensure the EU budget is applied equitably, despite voting to remain in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IDS on Daily Politics contradicting himself on practically every question.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Is it not now beholden on the winners !like you to solve the issues and make it happen?

Do you really believe MPs should only have to represent all their constituents when you agree with the topic?
  • Options
    The DUP are going to be aaaangry....
  • Options
    The latest immigration figured make interesting reading

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/migrationstatisticsquarterlyreport/november2017

Net immigration is falling due to higher emigration and lower immigration, and has called over 100,000 in the last year. But, it is still 230,000 and is a drop from all time high figures. The devil is in the detail... Similar number of EU migrants who have a job, big drop in those looking for work. Be interesting if this is just an adjustment from all time high figures, or is part of a long term trend
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

The latest immigration figured make interesting reading

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/migrationstatisticsquarterlyreport/november2017

Net immigration is falling due to higher emigration and lower immigration, and has called over 100,000 in the last year. But, it is still 230,000 and is a drop from all time high figures. The devil is in the detail... Similar number of EU migrants who have a job, big drop in those looking for work. Be interesting if this is just an adjustment from all time high figures, or is part of a long term trend

Only back to 2014 level - I read somewhere today.
  • Options

se9addick said:

I like this proposal. It seems to me it means the UK remains almost a full member of the EU until 2021. It means the UK economy does not go over a cliff, UK buseinesses do not have to make panic large investment commitments that would cause severe damage to the UK economy for decades, and best of all, it gives the growing anti Brexit movement more time to mobilise and stop Brexit altogether.
    Completely agree - could see the DUP end their confidence and supply arrangement which could be the end of the government doing the negotiating though.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

I like this proposal. It seems to me it means the UK remains almost a full member of the EU until 2021. It means the UK economy does not go over a cliff, UK buseinesses do not have to make panic large investment commitments that would cause severe damage to the UK economy for decades, and best of all, it gives the growing anti Brexit movement more time to mobilise and stop Brexit altogether.
    Completely agree - could see the DUP end their confidence and supply arrangement which could be the end of the government doing the negotiating though.
    Would they have to return the bribe?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!