Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse you call it right if you are saying that the only thing brexiters have to offer is faith and hope, because they can't offer any realistic practical ideas.
    The 48% simply have to wait around to see if the 52% can make it happen, and so far it's not looking good.
  • Options

A few bits and pieces for those that are interested (was distressed to read the Brendan Simms piece linked by @stonemuse yesterday, but purely out of bitterness and spite, I used to meet him occasionally when we were both undergraduates, and he was back in Dublin).

An article from the Financial Times, via the Irish Times, on why the argument that it can have no border controls won't work for the UK: https://irishtimes.com/opinion/talk-of-an-open-border-after-brexit-is-delusional-1.3307245.

And, from the Irish Times, the related views of a German MEP: https://irishtimes.com/business/economy/eu-parliament-will-seek-to-protect-single-market-in-brexit-talks-german-mep-says-1.3307448.

And, finally, an SNP view, from the Irish (but really Cork) Examiner: irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/tory-response-to-irish-position-on-brexit-based-on-out-dated-imperialistic-thinking-scottish-mp-816028.html.

"For a post-Brexit UK to charge no tariffs on imports from the EU would be a massive breach of the rules of the World Trade Organisation....This can be overridden if two or more members sign a formal bilateral or regional trade agreement among themselves. "

All the FT article does is to point out obstacles which are obstacles only if there is not the will to overcome them. What is a "massive breach" is in fact not really a massive breach if other steps are agreed, like a regional trade agreement. (Cue more problems with MFN rules)

The second article is the EU Parliament saying "the UK can't be in and out of the single market". What does this mean? Once goods have crossed the EU's external Customs Union they can move anywhere within the EU within the single market and no conditions of origin apply. What the EU seem to be saying, but correct me if not, is that they can't allow the EU rules that apply on imports from every other nation to apply to the UK, regardless. How would this be imposed without breaking international law? It is a statement of intent to be discriminatory in order to diminish the value of the financial gain from leaving the EU. Why is overt discrimination acceptable here yet applied in any other sphere of human activity would be demonised?

Most of the voxpops of dim Remainers I've seen giving vent to their disgust over Brexit because we are leaving the Single Market, think we can't trade with the EU - supported by the equally dim comments reported of the EU Parliament. All anti Brexit reporting reinforces the idea that you can't be out of the Single Market and export your goods into the Single Market. The Single Market only exists for EU members and simply avoids tariff barriers between member states. There's no reason whatsoever why we can't have tariff/tariff free access, just like any other trading nation, we just don't have the "benefits" of the four freedoms.

What "benefits" do we retain by trading with the EU tariff free outside the Customs Union, that the EU is so intent on preventing the UK enjoying for free? We will not enjoy any of the EU subsides or capital investments, or benefit from freedom of movement, can someone explain how we are in any way retaining the benefits of the Single Market when we are not in the EU simply by having a trade deal.

The third article is a mad Jock from the SNP which says the UK voted for Brexit to colonise the World again. What it's got to do with Brexit only @NornIrishAddick can tell us.

I'm frankly bored with repetitive excuses and arguments to prove a deal is not possible. The UK's suggestion for a bespoke solution can't be on the agenda in case it might work. If the will is there anything is possible, problem is you can't find the answer in a Google search, so obviously doesn't exist in the minds of the internet junkies.
  • Options

A few bits and pieces for those that are interested (was distressed to read the Brendan Simms piece linked by @stonemuse yesterday, but purely out of bitterness and spite, I used to meet him occasionally when we were both undergraduates, and he was back in Dublin).

An article from the Financial Times, via the Irish Times, on why the argument that it can have no border controls won't work for the UK: https://irishtimes.com/opinion/talk-of-an-open-border-after-brexit-is-delusional-1.3307245.

And, from the Irish Times, the related views of a German MEP: https://irishtimes.com/business/economy/eu-parliament-will-seek-to-protect-single-market-in-brexit-talks-german-mep-says-1.3307448.

And, finally, an SNP view, from the Irish (but really Cork) Examiner: irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/tory-response-to-irish-position-on-brexit-based-on-out-dated-imperialistic-thinking-scottish-mp-816028.html.

Just spoke to a pal of mine (a big remainer) and asked for his solution ideas for the NI/ROI question.

He said, "Ireland is an Island, it's time we stopped trying to cling on to the past and let it go"
    I asked, "what about NI's previous contribution to UK taxes/infrastructure/military etc?"
    He said " Nth. Ire. costs the UK a chunk, and it's time to let it go"

I didn't really have a response to that.
    Any thoughts?
    It makes logical sense, but is also madness - I'm sure that someone into these things would point out that it's probably the kind of solution that a psycopathic mind (in managerial terms) would recommend.

It's about as likely that there could be a clean break from Northern Ireland as there could be a "Clean Brexit" that retains all the UK's current trading advantages.

The problem for the UK is that it cannot simply wash its hands of Northern Ireland and walk away. If that was possible, it would have done it long ago.

The formation of Northern Ireland was the direct result of a fairly obvious threat on the part of a significant element of Irish Unionism (as it then was) to spark civil war.

Just as with the Dissident Republicans, the overall numbers of those Loyalists willing, at the moment, to engage in violence are probably fairly limited, but these sort of things have a habit of spiralling out of control fairly quickly.

Loyalists have a very conditional loyalty to the state, and I would not wish to take for granted any outcome, but would be surprised if they would accept such a proposal.

It may be worth pointing out that at least one poster (@cafcfan?) made very clear in advance of the Brexit referendum that Northern Ireland costs the UK an awful lot more than EU membership, without any of the financial benefits that are provided by EU membership - so that, on purely economic terms it makes far more sense for the UK to depart the island of Ireland than it does the EU.

I very much doubt that there is any way to avoid chaos in exiting Ireland, particularly if the UK Government determined that it wanted to break up the UK to meet any current Brexit timescales.

And, for what it's worth, I'm assuming that the decision-making and negotiations would not be being conducted by the current Brain's Trust (I certainly trust that they only have the one brain between them).
    That sounds like it might have been me. I expect my tongue was somewhere in my cheek at the time.

But, nonetheless Ireland - whether that's North or South - costs us money. In, out or the current status of shake it all about, that will still be the situation.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

stonemuse you call it right if you are saying that the only thing brexiters have to offer is faith and hope, because they can't offer any realistic practical ideas.
    The 48% simply have to wait around to see if the 52% can make it happen, and so far it's not looking good.

I don’t think the ‘remain politicians’ are any better ... they also have no idea.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

seth plum said:

I don’t think the ‘remain politicians’ are any better ... they also have no idea.
    Well apart from the obvious fact that they would not have embarked on this lunacy in the first place. Coming up with ideas that make things equal to or better than being a member state are like rocking horse shit.

• Options

@stonemuse

I haven't read Clegg's book, not least because i am a Clegg fan (despite his appalling error on tuition fees) and I am trying hard to read more challenging stuff (to my worldview). Like Varoufakis - bloody hell...and btw I respect your ability to spend time reading stuff that might be uncomfortable. You are better than me at that, and you get through books quicker too :-).

In short though, Clegg - I believe - favours the idea of a multi-speed Europe, as you do. So do I, or at least the more flexible a la carte model proposed by the CER guys. I also think it is politically the most feasible approach. However where you differ from them, it seems, is that you seem to favour a "trade only" relationship for the UK. That is where we differ. I think you underestimate the extent to which EU citizens embrace the idea of the EU as a political project. The mistake you and many Brits make is to instinctively recoil from the very idea. Had we remained inside the EU, and behaved like reasonable members of a club, then as the third biggest member we would have been able to shape the political direction of that project. You don't buy that. That is where we differ.

I actually don’t think we can influence the EU from the inside, basically because they first need to decide what they need to do next and how to do it. And I am not convinced that they can.

Macron wants closer union, others don’t, Merkel has her own problems, and, despite what some say, I am far from believing that the problems are over for Greece and Italy.

The EU story has a very bumpy road in front of it, with or without Brexit.

• Options
    stonemuse said:

@stonemuse

I haven't read Clegg's book, not least because i am a Clegg fan (despite his appalling error on tuition fees) and I am trying hard to read more challenging stuff (to my worldview). Like Varoufakis - bloody hell...and btw I respect your ability to spend time reading stuff that might be uncomfortable. You are better than me at that, and you get through books quicker too :-).

In short though, Clegg - I believe - favours the idea of a multi-speed Europe, as you do. So do I, or at least the more flexible a la carte model proposed by the CER guys. I also think it is politically the most feasible approach. However where you differ from them, it seems, is that you seem to favour a "trade only" relationship for the UK. That is where we differ. I think you underestimate the extent to which EU citizens embrace the idea of the EU as a political project. The mistake you and many Brits make is to instinctively recoil from the very idea. Had we remained inside the EU, and behaved like reasonable members of a club, then as the third biggest member we would have been able to shape the political direction of that project. You don't buy that. That is where we differ.

I actually don’t think we can influence the EU from the inside, basically because they first need to decide what they need to do next and how to do it. And I am not convinced that they can.

Macron wants closer union, others don’t, Merkel has her own problems, and, despite what some say, I am far from believing that the problems are over for Greece and Italy.

It will look like the yellow brick road compared to the potholed nightmare in front of us.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

stonemuse said:

seth plum said:

Well apart from the obvious fact that they would not have embarked on this lunacy in the first place. Coming up with ideas that make things equal to or better than being a member state are like rocking horse shit.

Or there's this lot from when she wasn't feeling well.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

@stonemuse

It will look like the yellow brick road compared to the potholed nightmare in front of us.

Disagree totally but you knew I would :smiley:
  • Options

stonemuse said:

seth plum said:

I’m seriously tempted to say that you are full of shit but of course wouldn’t ;0)

• Options

stonemuse said:

seth plum said:

I’m seriously tempted to say that you are full of shit but of course wouldn’t ;0)

If my shit came out like that I could safely say that my arse was feeling chipper.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

seth plum said:

They don't need any ideas though do they, they lost?
    I am heartened to see that you at least seem to agree that the brexiters have no realistic practical ideas.
  • Options

@stonemuse

I mentioned in one of my previous posts that in March 2017, the European Commission published a document setting out five scenarios for the future of the EU, proposing sub-groups of member states pursuing their own integration agendas, i.e. based on “coalitions of the willing” in specific policy areas such as defense, internal security, taxation or social matters, etc. I said at the time that this is far more palatable to me: a ‘multi-speed’ Europe’, particularly with regard to Trade.

As has been published elsewhere, the paper starts with a somber tone, acknowledging the existential struggle the EU is facing due to crises over Brexit, migration and the eurozone. “Europe’s challenges show no sign of abating,” the paper says. It also notes the difficult balancing act facing the EU, as “many Europeans consider the Union as either too distant or too interfering.”

One of the stated scenarios is very unpalatable for me: “While generally neutral in its language, the Commission at times makes its preferred option clear. For example, on eurozone governance, the Commission aligns itself with the most federal option by saying it will issue a paper based on the 2015 Five Presidents’ Report, which called for a eurozone finance minister and stricter controls over the budgets of the 19 countries that use the single currency. Under this scenario the EU would also assume powers to speak for all of Europe on trade and foreign policy, and would assume global leadership for fighting climate change and on humanitarian issues. There would be “far greater and quicker decision-making” in Brussels, but the Commission acknowledges “there is the risk of alienating parts of society which feel that the EU lacks legitimacy.”
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    stonemuse said:

@stonemuse

I mentioned in one of my previous posts that in March 2017, the European Commission published a document setting out five scenarios for the future of the EU, proposing sub-groups of member states pursuing their own integration agendas, i.e. based on “coalitions of the willing” in specific policy areas such as defense, internal security, taxation or social matters, etc. I said at the time that this is far more palatable to me: a ‘multi-speed’ Europe’, particularly with regard to Trade.

As has been published elsewhere, the paper starts with a somber tone, acknowledging the existential struggle the EU is facing due to crises over Brexit, migration and the eurozone. “Europe’s challenges show no sign of abating,” the paper says. It also notes the difficult balancing act facing the EU, as “many Europeans consider the Union as either too distant or too interfering.”

One of the stated scenarios is very unpalatable for me: “While generally neutral in its language, the Commission at times makes its preferred option clear. For example, on eurozone governance, the Commission aligns itself with the most federal option by saying it will issue a paper based on the 2015 Five Presidents’ Report, which called for a eurozone finance minister and stricter controls over the budgets of the 19 countries that use the single currency. Under this scenario the EU would also assume powers to speak for all of Europe on trade and foreign policy, and would assume global leadership for fighting climate change and on humanitarian issues. There would be “far greater and quicker decision-making” in Brussels, but the Commission acknowledges “there is the risk of alienating parts of society which feel that the EU lacks legitimacy.”
    Whatever outcome the Commission would prefer, this was a position paper (like those drawn up by UK civil servants).

The thing to remember is that it was published, so we can debate it's merits.

But also, the decision on where the EU ends up rests with the member states, so what they agree is what will happen.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Just spoke to a pal of mine (a big remainer) and asked for his solution ideas for the NI/ROI question.

He said, "Ireland is an Island, it's time we stopped trying to cling on to the past and let it go"
    I asked, "what about NI's previous contribution to UK taxes/infrastructure/military etc?"

Any thoughts?
    So because we can't come up with a solution to the border situation we should just start giving parts of our country away ? Should we hand Gibraltar over to the Spanish too ?
    For the record, I am pro-UK and would not like to see the dismantling of the union, nor the loss of Gib.
    A strange paradox really, because I want the UK to remain intact, but not part of the EU (in any form).
  • Options

stonemuse said:

@stonemuse

Whatever outcome the Commission would prefer, this was a position paper (like those drawn up by UK civil servants).

The thing to remember is that it was published, so we can debate it's merits.

But also, the decision on where the EU ends up rests with the member states, so what they agree is what will happen.
    Absolutely, it does indeed. I am just not convinced that there is a general willingness to overcome the existing problems that the EU faces ... and is still to face.

I think Macron is right ... the only way the EU can work properly is fiscal union and federality (a scenario I do not want the UK to be part of).

But his proposal will never be generally accepted in Europe so I do not see how the EU can be effective in its current guise. (Nor does the European Commission as the position paper points out).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Any thoughts?
    "It's an island".
    "Time we stopped clinging on to the past".
    "Let it go".
    "It costs the UK a chunk, and it's time to let it go".

Pretty compelling set of reasons there. But, if you ask me, I think we'll miss the Falklands.
    No surprise that he used the Falklands as a comparison in the same discussion - i.e "why are we holding on to them, they cost a fortune too"
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Self determination is the key to anachronisms like Gibraltar and The Falklands. You can argue the rights and wrongs of history and imperialism but they are what they are. I believe that if the people of both those places wish to remain “British” then we have a responsibility not to cut them adrift because circumstances suit. By the same token should the people wish to leave then we should give them all the help they require in order to make that a success.
  • Options

Stig said:

Not to worry though, the Brexiteers are "liberated by the Brexit decision and more confident that we can solve the UK's problems ". Just as well really, because there's now a heap more problems to solve. Thanks Brexit.
    Cos everyone who voted Brexit is the same.......
    Quite right, Stu, that's a fair point. But if you don't feel liberated or more confident, just what are we doing this for?
  • Options

Chizz said:

Any thoughts?
    "It's an island".
    "Time we stopped clinging on to the past".
    "Let it go".
    "It costs the UK a chunk, and it's time to let it go".

Pretty compelling set of reasons there. But, if you ask me, I think we'll miss the Falklands.
    No surprise that he used the Falklands as a comparison in the same discussion - i.e "why are we holding on to them, they cost a fortune too"
    I thought he was just highlighting that you seemed prepared to throw NI and Gib under the bus in your pursuit of brexit
  • Options

I wonder how many jobs that would cost. Honda said similar recently as well.

Never mind though, at least we'll have blue passports in a couple of years.
  • Options
    Multiple sources now reporting that the UK has agreed to pay £50BN as a "divorce settlement" to the EU.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1DS2G4

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPwHcbsX4AEDuua?format=jpg&name=medium

Is there really anyone left with a brain in their head who thinks hard Brexit, in this way, is the right thing to do ?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!