Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    Fiiish said:
    Menacing
  • Options
    Apparently I flagged him on a thread titled FartsatDarts. I am not even aware of opening that thread. But I can't find the thread to check.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:
    No, Red in SE8 has.
  • Options

Apparently I flagged him on a thread titled FartsatDarts. I am not even aware of opening that thread. But I can't find the thread to check.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/3372022#Comment_3372022

he it is
  • Options

he it is
    Ok. Thanks. I must have opened that thread and accidentally flagged his post.
  • Options
    God, this thread. It's like Hollyoaks sometimes.
  • Options

Meanwhile, the execrable Rebecca Long-Bailey, the Shadow "Busines"s Minister was on the Today programme this morning. I can't link you to any clip. This tweet well explains why no such clip exists

I was quite happy to hear her though. It took me back to my Polytechnic days. Classic SWP student empty rhetoric and double-speak. "Kick art this Torree guvnment" etc, albeit in a Northern accent. Sorry @Cordoban Addick but this Labour front bench is utterly second-rate.
    @PragueAddick . It's alright mate that cracking team of Lib Dem centrists will surely save the day.

Or we can have some kind of British Macron (Macgrath?) who can set up a centrist party as that all seems to be going swimmingly.

• Options
    DUP firing a warning shot across Teresa Mays bow. With it seemingly now impossible to make tweaks and changes to the deal, it now seems certain that the DUP will vote against. Not sure how they can be bought this time. By the same token. The five cabinet brexiters who are supporting (ha ha) May but want her to change tack also now look like they can’t have the changes they seek re negotiated. What now from them ? Do they now jump ship because it’s obvious they don’t back the deal as is or hang in there against their convictions. Things are so fluid and changing almost by the minute. Will the fact that getting her deal through the house has just got harder have any impact on the wavering MP’s thinking of writing to the 1922 committee?

Interesting times.
  • Options

Meanwhile, the execrable Rebecca Long-Bailey, the Shadow "Busines"s Minister was on the Today programme this morning. I can't link you to any clip. This tweet well explains why no such clip exists

I was quite happy to hear her though. It took me back to my Polytechnic days. Classic SWP student empty rhetoric and double-speak. "Kick art this Torree guvnment" etc, albeit in a Northern accent. Sorry @Cordoban Addick but this Labour front bench is utterly second-rate.
    @PragueAddick . It's alright mate that cracking team of Lib Dem centrists will surely save the day.

Or we can have some kind of British Macron (Macgrath?) who can set up a centrist party as that all seems to be going swimmingly.

I'm pretty certain if the electorate had woken up and voted Lib Dem, even at the last election, we wouldn't be in this world of shyte.

Historians will look back and shake their heads wondering why so many millions slept walked into voting for Corbyn and May when they could see what paltry nonsense was on offer and the weak party characters destined for office.
  • Options
    I'm wondering if this shower would have happened even if the Tories were still in a coalition with the lib Dems... I'm no fan of the coalition, but seeing everything that's happened since makes me long for those days
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:

I'm wondering if this shower would have happened even if the Tories were still in a coalition with the lib Dems... I'm no fan of the coalition, but seeing everything that's happened since makes me long for those days

The Lib Dems, saving us from the excesses of Tory party policy since errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr never.
  • Options
    A factual question if I may.

Watching the news tonight they are mentioning some sort of sign off summit on Sunday? Does that mean the withdrawal agreement is meant to be going through parliament this week? If so, what day?
  • Options
    I assume that people don't trust the Libdems enough to vote for them.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

For me it’s not an issue of trust. I don’t trust any of them. The reality is that there can only be either a Conservative or Labour government and voting Lib Dem is like pissing in the wind.

• Options

McBobbin said:

The Lib Dems, saving us from the excesses of Tory party policy since errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr never.
    So which of these were Lib Dem initiatives and which were Tory, in your expert opinion?
    The allocation of 0.7% of GDP to International Development, both in practice and as law
    The raising of the Income Tax personal allowance from £6475 to £10,600
    Steve Webb delivered the “triple lock” on the State Pension
    Nick Clegg saw through the pupil premium of (eventually) £1320 per primary school child and £935 for secondary children to reduce the attainment gap in England and Wales
    A £2.5 billion banking levy
    Free school meals for infant-school children and in the first three years in primary school in England
    Vince Cable vetoed a proposed “fire-at-will” employment law
    Stopping welfare cuts and ensuring benefits kept up with inflation
    Same sex marriage legislation
    15 hours free child care for disadvantaged children
    Prohibition of the export of chemicals to where it is known they may be used to carry out the death penalty
    5p charge on plastic bags.

Many 'experts' on here predicted the coalition wouldn't last 3 months.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Watching the news tonight they are mentioning some sort of sign off summit on Sunday? Does that mean the withdrawal agreement is meant to be going through parliament this week? If so, what day?

I don't think so.

It's signed off by the EU27 leaders & T May and is then ratified across the EU. It remains a draft agreement at this stage.

A Parliamentary debate before Sunday would be potentially a waste of time, as the draft agreement could be amended on Sunday.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

It's clear that Cameron expected to have to re-enter coalition after the 2015 election, and that that coalition would have stymied his fake negotiation and then referendum.

Sadly, he proved rather more successful than some of us would have liked.

That said, the coalition that the Lib Dems should have gone for in 2010 was with Labour - because Gordon Brown was more desperate, he was offering a bigger prize in committing to introduction of PR, rather than Cameron's weedy AV referendum.

Clegg was played (he should have learnt from Parliamentary history - the IPP under Parnell in particular).
    Played from beginning to end, I voted for the feckers too, never again.
  • Options

cabbles said:

I don't think so.

It's signed off by the EU27 leaders & T May and is then ratified across the EU. It remains a draft agreement at this stage.

A Parliamentary debate before Sunday would be potentially a waste of time, as the draft agreement could be amended on Sunday.
    Thanks Norn, I’m just trying to get my head around the mechanics now. There’s a lot of noise
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

seth plum said:

For me it’s not an issue of trust. I don’t trust any of them. The reality is that there can only be either a Conservative or Labour government and voting Lib Dem is like pissing in the wind.

As P Weller said, the people get what the people want.
    It's not gone very well though, has it? Be you a Tory Or Labour brexiteer or remainer. With the Lib Dems in power the time, expense and effort wasted on Brexit could have been channeled to far better ends, mainly reducing inequality.

Would Brexit have happened if the Lib Dems were voted in?
    judging by the post vote apocalypse on here and posters attitude to the LibDems you do wonder why voting for them is seen as pissing in the wind.
  • Options
    I still think it's extraordinary that, even on this thread, people seem unable to distinguish Theresa May and Teresa May. They're very, very different people. In fact, apart from their names being homonyms, the only thing they seem to have in common is that neither would appear to be capable of running the country.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

So which of these were Lib Dem initiatives and which were Tory, in your expert opinion?
    The allocation of 0.7% of GDP to International Development, both in practice and as law
    Nick Clegg saw through the pupil premium of (eventually) £1320 per primary school child and £935 for secondary children to reduce the attainment gap in England and Wales
    Free school meals for infant-school children and in the first three years in primary school in England
    Prohibition of the export of chemicals to where it is known they may be used to carry out the death penalty

I don't know, can you tell me. A bit thin for a list of achievements though isn't it?

Which of these things happened during the coalition?

Disastrous pursuit of austerity as a policy, I will let you list all those affected, you have a talent for it.
    Austerity creating the environment that allowed the idea of Brexit to flourish. Don't let people tell you it was about immigration.
    Complete bodge up of PR vote meaning we have lost the opportunity for a generation to have a more democratic electoral system.

As I said I voted LD in 2010 I am as gutted as you by how crap they were.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

I don't know, can you tell me. A bit thin for a list of achievements though isn't it?

Which of these things happened during the coalition?

Disastrous pursuit of austerity as a policy, I will let you list all those affected, you have a talent for it.
    Austerity creating the environment that allowed the idea of Brexit to flourish. Don't let people tell you it was about immigration.
    Complete bodge up of PR vote meaning we have lost the opportunity for a generation to have a more democratic electoral system.

As I said I voted LD in 2010 I am as gutted as you by how crap they were.
    I think it's a case of "how shitter could it have been?" I voted LD and would rather they told the Tories to do one for what it's worth
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Stole the picture from China News and the joke from Gina Miller. The two just seem to go together....
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Ok. Thanks. I must have opened that thread and accidentally flagged his post.
    Yes I thought it was a mistake Red.....I PM’d you twice but got no reply, so I thought if I flagged you I might get a response.....which it did.
    See you’ve removed the flag and I have done likewise.....problem solved.
    Thanks and all the best mate.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

It's clear that Cameron expected to have to re-enter coalition after the 2015 election, and that that coalition would have stymied his fake negotiation and then referendum.

That said, the coalition that the Lib Dems should have gone for in 2010 was with Labour - because Gordon Brown was more desperate, he was offering a bigger prize in committing to introduction of PR, rather than Cameron's weedy AV referendum.

Clegg was played (he should have learnt from Parliamentary history - the IPP under Parnell in particular).

I get the point entirely but the numbers for a Lab-Lib Coalition were not there and you had the problem of what to do with Gordon Brown.

You'd have been looking at 315 Lab + Lib and then needing the six SNP on-board (there might be a price for that)....and then cobbling together another six from Plaid Cymru, SDLP, Greens and Alliance.

Theoretically they could have got to around 329 but can you imagine the deals you'd need to strike with the SNP, Plaid Cymru and maybe SDLP to get them on board?
  • Options

McBobbin said:

I get the point entirely but the numbers for a Lab-Lib Coalition were not there and you had the problem of what to do with Gordon Brown.

You'd have been looking at 315 Lab + Lib and then needing the six SNP on-board (there might be a price for that)....and then cobbling together another six from Plaid Cymru, SDLP, Greens and Alliance.

Theoretically they could have got to around 329 but can you imagine the deals you'd need to strike with the SNP, Plaid Cymru and maybe SDLP to get them on board?
    I'm not suggesting that it would have been easy for Labour to have managed a coalition, but that would not necessarily be a bad thing. Such coalitions are more manageable and common than you might think.

You're also talking about a number of parties unlikely to ally themselves with the Conservatives, so, even without a formal alliance, such a government might be more stable than you'd expect.

And, it is worth pointing out that not all political partners operate like the DUP.

Personally, also, I quite like Gordon Brown and, with Labour economic policies appearing to work before the 2010 election, who is to say that his image might not have been improved.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I like the idea of a coalition. Whilst I support Corbyn, I think it would be good for the country to have an alliance of the left. When you look at the last Labour manifesto, I don't think there isn't too much other socially motivated parties couldn't get behind.

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2017/12/28/brexit-corbyn-is-playing-a-clever-long-game-that-could-benef
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Henry can party with his Lib Dem chums - and bemoan the fact that nobody will vote for them. And never quite undertsand why! :) It is becoming clear from statements from all parties that the house will not accept a hard Brexit. May is driving into the wall and us remainers have to let her.

BTW, the reason I was hoping for a failed coup against the Prime Minister, is there is going to be a point after the plan is defeated, where the hard Brexiters will be faced with supporting a second reading of May's plan or a referendum - they are hoping we will crash out, but if that doesn't happen, it is better they burn the bridges by the time that vote comes.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!