Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:

This short thread that Sunny links to spells out, in fairly specific terms, Labour's current position in Brexit. It brings up two important questions:

1. Why can't the Conservative party settle on a single, all-encompassing policy that offers all wings of the party ownership of the policy in the way this thread demonstrates that Labour seems to have been able to?

2. Why can't Labour properly, clearly, simply and unambiguously articulate their policy in the way this person has?

You know the answer to 2. Because that isn't the Dear Leader's policy, it's what the writer wants the policy to be. The Dear Leader wants to leave.
  • Options
    I know someone quiet senior in Corbyn's office, and there calculation is the EU would happily extend Article 50 if they got in by March 28th, because they think the EU wouldn't want to tie them to the May governments decisions. I suspect this is fanciful, and I suspect the only way the EU would extend would be on the requirement that there would be a second referendum, and remain is on the ballot, otherwise, tough shit Jezza
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I know someone quiet senior in Corbyn's office, and there calculation is the EU would happily extend Article 50 if they got in by March 28th, because they think the EU wouldn't want to tie them to the May governments decisions. I suspect this is fanciful, and I suspect the only way the EU would extend would be on the requirement that there would be a second referendum, and remain is on the ballot, otherwise, tough shit Jezza

I would expect that the only way that the EU would be willing to allow for an extension, in such a circumstance, would be if Labour's position differed noticeably from that of the Tories. As I've mentioned before, I'm not convinced that there is enough of a difference between the two...
  • Options

Rothko said:

I would expect that the only way that the EU would be willing to allow for an extension, in such a circumstance, would be if Labour's position differed noticeably from that of the Tories. As I've mentioned before, I'm not convinced that there is enough of a difference between the two...
    Yes it is still remotely possible that there are enough democrats left in both parties who do not want, yet at least, to openly spit in the face of the electorate.
  • Options
    Oh no someone’s put something up that can clarify the Labour position for the masses!!! Better sling some more mud so less people notice it.
  • Options

Oh no someone’s put something up that can clarify the Labour position for the masses!!! Better sling some more mud so less people notice it.

Only taken 2 years and through an unofficial channel 👍
  • Options
    I think Corbyn should be openly trying to get a referendum and call all Brexiters idiots and wankers. That is what some on here would prefer him to do. Well, they are perfectly right - I don't know why he doesn't do it!
  • Options

Chizz said:

This short thread that Sunny links to spells out, in fairly specific terms, Labour's current position in Brexit. It brings up two important questions:

1. Why can't the Conservative party settle on a single, all-encompassing policy that offers all wings of the party ownership of the policy in the way this thread demonstrates that Labour seems to have been able to?

2. Why can't Labour properly, clearly, simply and unambiguously articulate their policy in the way this person has?

All this is true but only because Labour will cut straight to a Norway type agreement. The reason why they haven’t ‘clearly, simply and unambiguously’ articulated this is that they know it will piss off about 20-30% of their voters so they hide it in the increasingly irritating ‘six tests’. McDonnell and Corbyn want to get elected 1st then let down their brexiteer supporters so they can be seen to have ‘negotiated’ a quick deal with the EU. Then, and only then, will they set about their true agenda, an agenda the depth of which will only be lightly touched on in their manifesto.

They are playing politics just like everyone else and I trust McDonnell and his puppet Corbyn about as much as I trust Johnson and Rees-Mogg.

You are assuming that should Corbyn win an election that he will have a majority. I would think that’s highly unlikely.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I think Corbyn should be openly trying to get a referendum and call all Brexiters idiots and wankers. That is what some on here would prefer him to do. Well, they are perfectly right - I don't know why he doesn't do it!

Maybe because millions of traditional Labour voters voted for Brexit.
  • Options

Maybe because millions of traditional Labour voters voted for Brexit.
    That shouldn't stop him - He should be as rude and disrespectful as he can possibly be. I mean if he gets a referendum, I'm sure they won't take the disrespect seriously and will vote for remain!
  • Options
    So what has happened with the 48 letters?

Seems the ERG have shot their bolt or do they still have time?

My guess is that a lot of people aren't sure which way to jump and don't want to bring their own government down even if they don't like May.

So that puts May in a slightly stronger position of "it's either my deal or no deal". With the ERG looking like a paper tiger who will stand against her? A hard brexiter can't win so has to be a soft brexiter but they will just do a similar deal to May.

Would be funny seeing the tories mess up so badly if it wasn't the whole country being messed up too.

PS Does anyone else thing about the 90s Sampdoria team when you read ERG
  • Options

Wonder what would be happening if David Miliband had been elected Labour leader. He would surely have been very clear about opposing Brexit and would be providing a very clear alternative to the government. Quite likely would have beaten Cameron in 2015 anyway. Reckon a lot of recent history happened because Labour elected the wrong Miliband brother.

This.
  • Options

Wonder what would be happening if David Miliband had been elected Labour leader. He would surely have been very clear about opposing Brexit and would be providing a very clear alternative to the government. Quite likely would have beaten Cameron in 2015 anyway. Reckon a lot of recent history happened because Labour elected the wrong Miliband brother.

Blame Len McClusky for that and for the current labour front bench.

• Options

Have they? No, they haven't.

You do realise that Charlton Life isn't the whole electorate?

You do realise that she isn't an official party spokesperson?

You do realise that this isn't the official Labour party position?
  • Options

Only taken 2 years and through an unofficial channel 👍
    You may not agree with Labour's position on the EU and Brexit but it's been set out several times.

Here is the relevant part of Labour's 2017 General Election manifesto:

https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/negotiating-brexit/

Here is the policy adopted at the September 2018 Labour Party conference:

https://labourlist.org/2018/09/labours-brexit-composite-motion-in-full/

And here is a link to a live report of Corbyn's speech today at the CBI conference:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/nov/19/brexit-theresa-may-no-confidence-cbi-corbyn-would-welcome-option-of-extending-transition-for-up-to-two-years-clark-says-politics-live
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Chizz said:

All this is true but only because Labour will cut straight to a Norway type agreement. The reason why they haven’t ‘clearly, simply and unambiguously’ articulated this is that they know it will piss off about 20-30% of their voters so they hide it in the increasingly irritating ‘six tests’. McDonnell and Corbyn want to get elected 1st then let down their brexiteer supporters so they can be seen to have ‘negotiated’ a quick deal with the EU. Then, and only then, will they set about their true agenda, an agenda the depth of which will only be lightly touched on in their manifesto.

They are playing politics just like everyone else and I trust McDonnell and his puppet Corbyn about as much as I trust Johnson and Rees-Mogg.

You are assuming that should Corbyn win an election that he will have a majority. I would think that’s highly unlikely.

A coalition with Sinn Fein?
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I know someone quiet senior in Corbyn's office,

Is he quiet because he's embarrassed by the inept opposition?

• Options
    I'm not sure there will be a rush to join the 25. I've only heard of a handful.
  • Options
    No BoJo in that list. He really is a slippery piece of work.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!