Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    That is a somewhat encouraging thought, @Chizz, and I suppose someone will offer these up as precedents. However a guy on Twitter has nailed the issue far better than I could hope to do...

• Options
    Craig Mackinlay in trouble for fiddling expenses and hiring
    that Tory Stooge Al Murray!
  • Options

As my good mate Chippy would say, whose he?

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    But Prague says there are no elites and even if there were they do not support Remain. Now I am really confused.
  • Options

As my good mate Chippy would say, whose he?

The pub landlord?
  • Options

He hired Al Murray? You got a link for that?
  • Options
    Ha.

The quisling cowards on BBC's Marr Show have been scooped by Open Democracy. And I am honoured to say that I know one of the two journalists who have produced this. I hosted Jenna when she came to Prague to talk to journalists and students about the global FOI website movement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Stig said:

These are criminal offences that Banks is being investigated for. Can anyone think of a time when someone under investigation (guilty or innocent) has been given a such public platform to justify themselves? I can't.

There are several incidents of individuals suspected of crime and under investigation being interviewed on television. Not, perhaps, in the same circumstances as Banks, ie someone named and under investigation of serious crime, booked for a set-piece interview. But it's interesting to see how well it ended up for each of them.

Ian Huntley was interviewed a number of times on tv after he had been identified as a suspect. Jimmy Savile was interviewed about specific rumours that were in the public domain by both Andrew Neill and Louis Theroux (and others). Stuart Hall was quizzed on BBC Radio. Jonathan Aitkin was allowed free reign to announce his fight, using "the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of traditional British fair play". Harold Shipman was interviewed on tv prior to his arrest, but a long time after he has been named as a suspect. Conrad Black was no stranger to tv studios while fighting and appealing charges.

Arron Banks is in interesting company.
    Good knowledge/research, Chizz. Thank you.
  • Options
    Stig said:

So on the back of admitting you know nothing about the Irish question you have formulated you view of what has happened and what’s likely to happen going forward.

By the way the Good Friday Agreement “fudge” has kept the peace ever since it was signed.

Yes, by bowing down to the terrorists, letting murderers on life sentances out scot free & letting the paramilitaries "dispose" of their weapons. If it all starts up again they wont be needing to get their arms from sympathetic Americans, all they need to do is dig up Farmer Paddy's field & find their stash of weapons again.
    Oh my giddy aunt.

I really do hope you were just back from the pub when you wrote this.

Yes, terrorists/murderers were released, provided that they had signed up to the agreement, those objecting weren't (this is, dare I say it, not exactly unique in conflict resolutions around the World, other examples, notably South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission, have gone further down the same road).

It's not something that any reasonable person considers to be anything other than a necessary evil (and, as I have suggested before, it is better to release people who have been convicted and jailed for an offence than to decide that a certain group, as is often raised at PMQs, should be given an amnesty from any prosecution, purely because of the organisations to which they belonged).

The PSNI have not stopped investigating outstanding cases and, in the context of the GFA, they should not do so, even if that includes uncovering collusion and murder on the part of the security services.

And, in passing, the destruction of the Provisional IRA's capacity to use the weapons it had stockpiled, by having them being verifiably put beyond use (believed to have involved things like, in the presence of members of the de Chastelain Commission, pouring concrete into bunkers that they had inspected).

So, it might be a bit difficult for them to access weapons stashed in Farmer Paddy's field.

Farmer Paddy, oh how I laughed at the stereotypical description.....

Mind you, as your arguments about Northern Ireland and Brexit seem to be driving towards returning us all to the 1970s, I've no doubt more comedy gold awaits.
    That is the first time that I've ever seen Nornish respond with anything but facts and logic, and I really can't say I blame him on the back of that post. Quite incredible stuff from Golfie.

With the exception of Stonemuse who struggles on stoically against a total wave of argument and does his best to present a fact based case for Brexit, the paucity of thought from the Brexiteers is astounding. It's feels like the logical argument has been won over a hundred times and yet those that want to leave are still unshakeable in their belief that it's still the right thing to do. I am as amazed as I am saddened by this. What a mess Cameron has created.
    I've never said that it is still the right thing to do......just that it is/was what I want to do. I do not WANT to be part of the EU.....whether it is the right or best thing to do is a different matter entirely.

Its all rather academic now anyway, seeing as any deal struck will not see us fulfil Brexit as described by TM in her Mansion House speech. Leo Vradkar has seen to that, as he stated earlier today.

• Options

Ha.

The quisling cowards on BBC's Marr Show have been scooped by Open Democracy. And I am honoured to say that I know one of the two journalists who have produced this. I hosted Jenna when she came to Prague to talk to journalists and students about the global FOI website movement.

Reading that Banks has clearly lied to the parliamentary committee as well as uttterly disrespecting it. My constitutional law studies were decades ago but I do remember that parliament has the power to hold Banks in "contempt" and fine or even jail him in that event.

No idea when this last happened, but with the performance of high profile witnesses like Green, Banks and his lap dog Wigmore maybe parliament should start holding these people to account?
  • Options

Ha.

Reading that Banks has clearly lied to the parliamentary committee as well as uttterly disrespecting it. My constitutional law studies were decades ago but I do remember that parliament has the power to hold Banks in "contempt" and fine or even jail him in that event.

No idea when this last happened, but with the performance of high profile witnesses like Green, Banks and his lap dog Wigmore maybe parliament should start holding these people to account?
    I would imagine that Damian Collins is readying to do exactly that, but how many other MPs have shown his courage and integrity on this matter? Have we heard from the front bench of HM Opposition on this matter? Have we ****!

I'm sitting here, a BBC supporter, debating whether to boycott Marr on the basis that watching it implies complicity. A sad day to even have that debate with myself. In the end since I'm an Illicit viewer anyway,who watches via a satellite dish that cannot add to ratings, I guess I will watch, in the name of being informed about that on which I pontificate...

• Options

Stig said:

So on the back of admitting you know nothing about the Irish question you have formulated you view of what has happened and what’s likely to happen going forward.

By the way the Good Friday Agreement “fudge” has kept the peace ever since it was signed.

Yes, by bowing down to the terrorists, letting murderers on life sentances out scot free & letting the paramilitaries "dispose" of their weapons. If it all starts up again they wont be needing to get their arms from sympathetic Americans, all they need to do is dig up Farmer Paddy's field & find their stash of weapons again.
    Oh my giddy aunt.

I really do hope you were just back from the pub when you wrote this.

Yes, terrorists/murderers were released, provided that they had signed up to the agreement, those objecting weren't (this is, dare I say it, not exactly unique in conflict resolutions around the World, other examples, notably South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission, have gone further down the same road).

It's not something that any reasonable person considers to be anything other than a necessary evil (and, as I have suggested before, it is better to release people who have been convicted and jailed for an offence than to decide that a certain group, as is often raised at PMQs, should be given an amnesty from any prosecution, purely because of the organisations to which they belonged).

The PSNI have not stopped investigating outstanding cases and, in the context of the GFA, they should not do so, even if that includes uncovering collusion and murder on the part of the security services.

And, in passing, the destruction of the Provisional IRA's capacity to use the weapons it had stockpiled, by having them being verifiably put beyond use (believed to have involved things like, in the presence of members of the de Chastelain Commission, pouring concrete into bunkers that they had inspected).

So, it might be a bit difficult for them to access weapons stashed in Farmer Paddy's field.

Farmer Paddy, oh how I laughed at the stereotypical description.....

Mind you, as your arguments about Northern Ireland and Brexit seem to be driving towards returning us all to the 1970s, I've no doubt more comedy gold awaits.
    That is the first time that I've ever seen Nornish respond with anything but facts and logic, and I really can't say I blame him on the back of that post. Quite incredible stuff from Golfie.

With the exception of Stonemuse who struggles on stoically against a total wave of argument and does his best to present a fact based case for Brexit, the paucity of thought from the Brexiteers is astounding. It's feels like the logical argument has been won over a hundred times and yet those that want to leave are still unshakeable in their belief that it's still the right thing to do. I am as amazed as I am saddened by this. What a mess Cameron has created.
    I've never said that it is still the right thing to do......just that it is/was what I want to do. I do not WANT to be part of the EU.....whether it is the right or best thing to do is a different matter entirely.

Its all rather academic now anyway, seeing as any deal struck will not see us fulfil Brexit as described by TM in her Mansion House speech. Leo Vradkar has seen to that, as he stated earlier today.

You are wrong when you say Vradkar has undermined the Mansion House vision. Firstly because I watched the whole speech live and it did not contain any vision expressed in practical terms. Not did her other speeches, indeed on Ireland she merely expressed her frequently repeated mantra about 'frictionless as possible'.
    Secondly because Vradkar is simply expressing Irish concerns about the usual British duplicity and how such a bad faith approach is straining Anglo-Irish relations.
  • Options

Ha.

I would imagine that Damian Collins is readying to do exactly that, but how many other MPs have shown his courage and integrity on this matter? Have we heard from the front bench of HM Opposition on this matter? Have we ****!

I'm sitting here, a BBC supporter, debating whether to boycott Marr on the basis that watching it implies complicity. A sad day to even have that debate with myself. In the end since I'm an Illicit viewer anyway,who watches via a satellite dish that cannot add to ratings, I guess I will watch, in the name of being informed about that on which I pontificate...

Let me ask you this Prague, if Corbyn was on Marr today, would you be having the same moral debate with yourself in view of the police investigation into anti semitism in his party?
  • Options

Ha.

Has that stopped you before ;0))

• Options

Ha.

Let me ask you this Prague, if Corbyn was on Marr today, would you be having the same moral debate with yourself in view of the police investigation into anti semitism in his party?
    It's completely different because Corbyn isn't being investigated and nor is the Labour Party. It is individuals within the party that are being investigated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Ha.

It's completely different because Corbyn isn't being investigated and nor is the Labour Party. It is individuals within the party that are being investigated.
    Rubbish. Corbyn is the boss and clearly turns a blind eye to this hate crime within his party.
  • Options
    Let’s hope that Mr. Banks gets a soap on a rope for Christmas. He might need it with any luck.
  • Options
    Did my ears deceive me or did Banks just say he'd now vote Remain???

Wtf!
  • Options
    Did he just say that 'not wholly untransparent' means 'transparent'. Add that to the brexit dictionary
  • Options

Stig said:

Ha.

Rubbish. Corbyn is the boss and clearly turns a blind eye to this hate crime within his party.
    Tell that to Cressida Dick.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46070229
  • Options
    Stig said:

Stig said:

Ha.

Sorry fella but what point are you trying to make?
  • Options

Stig said:

Ha.

You are aware are you that what the Met Police say they're investigating is evidence of possible anti-semitism contained in a document compiled by the Labour Party?:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/02/met-police-opens-criminal-inquiry-into-labour-antisemitism-claims
  • Options
    Any investigation into anti semitism in the Labour party (or racism in general, in any party) is very important, but isn't relevant to the subject of Brexit.
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

Stig said:

Ha.

You are aware are you that what the Met Police say they're investigating is evidence of possible anti-semitism contained in a document compiled by the Labour Party?:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/02/met-police-opens-criminal-inquiry-into-labour-antisemitism-claims
    Never let the truth get in the way of something you read on social media from a right wing website...
  • Options

Stig said:

Stig said:

Ha.

Sorry fella but what point are you trying to make?
    Your original question comparing Corbyn to Banks doesn't stand up because Corbyn isn't under investigation. Cressida Dick has herself confirmed that neither Corbyn nor the Labour Party are under investigation, therefore my response to you is not 'rubbish' as you so thoughtfully put it.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!