Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018

The reason there has been a hurry is because leavers are scared of having the referendum overturned. There is no logical reason for rushing it at all.

Do you have proof of that?

I certainly have no fear of such an event, nor do others that I know who voted to leave.

There was absolutely no need to activate Article 50 so early. It was a massive political mistake by May.

She should have waited until we had agreed our negotiating stance. Political opportunism gone wrong.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Maybe, rather than leave it, we should be trying to change it for the better.

Foolishly, I believed that is exactly what would happen during the negotiations.

A lot could have been done over the last couple of years to achieve this. The paucity of talent in our government has produced a diametrically opposite result.
    The negotiations were about us leaving the EU not about reforming it to our liking.

I could give a glib golf club analogy but quite frankly if you don’t still understand what Article 50 actually is for then there’s no point.

Sorry if this sounds awful but your post shows a complete and utter failure to recognise the facts in front of you.

I think you are deliberately misrepresenting me here.

I know exactly what article 50 means. The fact is that May called it too soon. There was absolutely no hurry and we could have entered into productive negotiations with the EU, and worked together to develop benefits for all, eg the concentric circle model.

If that had occurred, there might have been no need to even go as far as Article 50.
    So at which point over the “last couple of years” during the EXIT negotiations were you expecting the U.K. to broach the subject of EU reform ?

You couldn’t make it up.

• Options

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Foolishly, I believed that is exactly what would happen during the negotiations.

A lot could have been done over the last couple of years to achieve this. The paucity of talent in our government has produced a diametrically opposite result.
    The negotiations were about us leaving the EU not about reforming it to our liking.

I could give a glib golf club analogy but quite frankly if you don’t still understand what Article 50 actually is for then there’s no point.

Sorry if this sounds awful but your post shows a complete and utter failure to recognise the facts in front of you.

I know exactly what article 50 means. The fact is that May called it too soon. There was absolutely no hurry and we could have entered into productive negotiations with the EU, and worked together to develop benefits for all, eg the concentric circle model.

If that had occurred, there might have been no need to even go as far as Article 50.
    So at which point over the “last couple of years” during the EXIT negotiations were you expecting the U.K. to broach the subject of EU reform ?

You couldn’t make it up.

From day one without Article 50 being invoked.

Is that clearer?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

You couldn’t make it up.

Is that clearer?
    I'm confused then. If the referendum was to be used only as a negotiating tactic, in what way would that uphold "the will of the people" and all that rhetorical bluster that seems to trump any semblance of preventing massive self harm to the UK?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

The reason there has been a hurry is because leavers are scared of having the referendum overturned. There is no logical reason for rushing it at all.

I certainly have no fear of such an event, nor do others that I know who voted to leave.

There was absolutely no need to activate Article 50 so early. It was a massive political mistake by May.

She should have waited until we had agreed our negotiating stance. Political opportunism gone wrong.
    Why do I need proof of the blindingly obvious. Delaying article 50 was actually an excellent bargaining tactic.
  • Options

This is almost unbelievable, but the BBC have "proudly" announced that they are putting Aaron Banks on the Marr Show tomorrow. Stop and let that sink in for a moment...

A person is invited on to the Marr Show, because he faces criminal proceedings. Before the proceedings have even started, they give him the opportunity on an allegedly top current affairs show to explain why he is innocent.

If, like me you think that is beyond disgraceful you could do what loads of people on Twitter have done, nd complain. However as I have found out, it is difficult to get anything sensible out of the BBC complaints machine.

It would b wrong of me to put this contact on Twitter, but if any of you feel as strongly as I do that it is wrong to give that steaming pile of turd a platform, you could email directly Colin Tregear who is the Complaints Director of the Executive Complaints Unit: colin.tregear.01@bbc.co.uk

Some good inspiration for the wording of complaints on

How anyone can suggest that the BBC is somehow pro-Remain, as @Southbank does is beyond my comprehension. As indeed is the current state of BBC news coverage.

Not all bad at the BBC @PragueAddick.

Good investigative piece on the scumbag and his mates on Newsnight last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRXWfgsQEA8
  • Options

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

You couldn’t make it up.

Is that clearer?
    I'm confused then. If the referendum was to be used only as a negotiating tactic, in what way would that uphold "the will of the people" and all that rhetorical bluster that seems to trump any semblance of preventing massive self harm to the UK?
    No idea, I don’t do rhetoric bluster. I prefer to negotiate.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

You couldn’t make it up.

Is that clearer?
    Unicorns again and again. The rush to invoke Article 50 was indeed a huge error but you still fail to answer why you expected reform negotiations to take place after the Brexit vote which was in case you’ve missed that too, to leave the EU. Up until the referendum the U.K. was perfectly placed to seek reform.

• Options
    “If you come to a negotiation table saying you have the final truth, that you know nothing but the truth and that is final, you will get nothing.”

Reflects the problem which arose when Teresa May invoked Article 50.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

You couldn’t make it up.

Is that clearer?
    Unicorns again and again. The rush to invoke Article 50 was indeed a huge error but you still fail to answer why you expected reform negotiations to take place after the Brexit vote which was in case you’ve missed that too, to leave the EU. Up until the referendum the U.K. was perfectly placed to seek reform.

Because that is the whole point of negotiations. A vote was completed and then each side discussed what should now be done.

Which could be different to the original intention. That is how a negotiation works ... which May blocked with Article 50.

The referendum asked should we remain or leave - that’s all. Alone it solves nothing nor does it reveal how any decision can be taken forward .., hence we should have had the opportunity to negotiate, thereby allowing all participants to agree an appropriate solution.

As far as I am aware, the referendum was not legally binding, and I always understood it would lead to negotiations.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Why do I need proof of the blindingly obvious. Delaying article 50 was actually an excellent bargaining tactic.
    You have no proof. Those who voted leave did not hurry and invoke Article 50. It was done by May for the wrong reasons.

I was certainly not on any hurry. Your blanket statement does not apply to all ... the hurry was purely political not the view of the voters.
  • Options
    Good piece here from Mark Gatiss ‘The League of Gentlemen was a premonition of Brexit’ . Also suggests Brexit is like slitting your own throat and going to bed saying I’ll see how I am in the morning. About right.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/nov/02/mark-gatiss-the-league-of-gentlemen-was-a-premonition-of-brexit?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

You couldn’t make it up.

Is that clearer?

Because that is the whole point of negotiations. A vote was completed and then each side discussed what should now be done.

Which could be different to the original intention. That is how a negotiation works ... which May blocked with Article 50.

The referendum asked should we remain or leave - that’s all. Alone it solves nothing nor does it reveal how any decision can be taken forward .., hence we should have had the opportunity to negotiate, thereby allowing all participants to agree an appropriate solution.

As far as I am aware, the referendum was not legally binding, and I always understood it would lead to negotiations.
    Forgetting for the moment the idiot Cameron and the fear by the Conservatives that they would bleed even more votes to UKIP and therefore offer a referendum pulling back those votes in order to retain power. David Cameron had already visited the EU to discuss this country’s reform ideas and to seek ways to resolve the issues and returned virtually empty handed.

I think we agree that reform of the EU from within was the way forward. The leave vote didn’t strengthen our hand at all as subsequent events have proved.

• Options

This is almost unbelievable, but the BBC have "proudly" announced that they are putting Aaron Banks on the Marr Show tomorrow. Stop and let that sink in for a moment...

A person is invited on to the Marr Show, because he faces criminal proceedings. Before the proceedings have even started, they give him the opportunity on an allegedly top current affairs show to explain why he is innocent.

If, like me you think that is beyond disgraceful you could do what loads of people on Twitter have done, nd complain. However as I have found out, it is difficult to get anything sensible out of the BBC complaints machine.

It would b wrong of me to put this contact on Twitter, but if any of you feel as strongly as I do that it is wrong to give that steaming pile of turd a platform, you could email directly Colin Tregear who is the Complaints Director of the Executive Complaints Unit: colin.tregear.01@bbc.co.uk

How anyone can suggest that the BBC is somehow pro-Remain, as @Southbank does is beyond my comprehension. As indeed is the current state of BBC news coverage.

• Options
    @stonemuse Ive been following your views and largely agree with a lot of it... The EU needs serious reform, and is quite possibly incapable of it. Not least to improve as a union, but also to provide flexibility into the system if it goes tits up. Human nature what it is (and I'm thinking Greek and Italian basket case economies) there is huge call for flexibility. That's why I'm dead against ever joining the eurozone.

For me, pragmatism trumps idealism... And the UK is full of idealists with conflicting views... And still no idea of what we as a country actually want or need, and no idea how to get it. We'll just get some bollocksy fudge. The idealists are like people who give directions that don't start from where you are. We are inexorably linked to the EU from 40-odd years of cohabitation. The only way for me to improve our lot will be to reform the EU... Leaving is probably going to be for the worst. I really hope it isn't though
  • Options
    edited November 2018

stonemuse said:

I don't think these have to be either/or. Both can be right.
  • Options
    Leavers could start a new tack and tell people about the good things they can promise.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Thank you. Been on there and given those two Tory Brexiteers my observations.

Fucking unbelievable, their defences of this. What on earth have we come to?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

These are criminal offences that Banks is being investigated for. Can anyone think of a time when someone under investigation (guilty or innocent) has been given a such public platform to justify themselves? I can't.

That is exactly what I have asked messrs Oliver and Shipman. In earlier tweets Shipman seems to offer the defence that the investigation has not actually started yet (and we all know why, but that's a diversion). So I have asked him to name his nearest precedent for this. Let's see if he replies.

• Options
    McBobbin said:

@stonemuse Ive been following your views and largely agree with a lot of it... The EU needs serious reform, and is quite possibly incapable of it. Not least to improve as a union, but also to provide flexibility into the system if it goes tits up. Human nature what it is (and I'm thinking Greek and Italian basket case economies) there is huge call for flexibility. That's why I'm dead against ever joining the eurozone

With Mutti going soon, I believe there is no chance of reform. I don’t see much chance of the likes of Greece, Italy, Poland, Portugal, etc backing Macron.

• Options
    That broad brush phrase 'The likes of" especially when followed by "etc" is glorious in it's seductive sweep but is actually only useful in giving a vacuum gravitas.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

That broad brush phrase 'The likes of" especially when followed by "etc" is glorious in it's seductive sweep but is actually only useful in giving a vacuum gravitas.

What a strange comment.

Ok, just to please you:

With Mutti going soon, I believe there is no chance of reform. I don’t see much chance of Greece, Italy, Poland, and Portugal backing Macron.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:

Not all bad at the BBC @PragueAddick.

Good investigative piece on the scumbag and his mates on Newsnight last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRXWfgsQEA8
    I have to disagree @Chaz Hill . I am a fan of Newsnight and see it as one of the last vestiges of decent journalism in the BBC but that report was deeply flawed. They had two main interviews, the first completely let Richard Tice of the hook, allowing him to play Brexit bingo ("will of the people" "democratic right" etc etc), the second interview was with (the increasingly impressive) Tom Watson. They actually questioned him harder than they did Tice even managed to bring in a dig at Corbyn, which was all but irrelevant to an investigation into Aaron Banks.
  • Options
    Stig said:

These are criminal offences that Banks is being investigated for. Can anyone think of a time when someone under investigation (guilty or innocent) has been given a such public platform to justify themselves? I can't.

There are several incidents of individuals suspected of crime and under investigation being interviewed on television. Not, perhaps, in the same circumstances as Banks, ie someone named and under investigation of serious crime, booked for a set-piece interview. But it's interesting to see how well it ended up for each of them.

Ian Huntley was interviewed a number of times on tv after he had been identified as a suspect. Jimmy Savile was interviewed about specific rumours that were in the public domain by both Andrew Neill and Louis Theroux (and others). Stuart Hall was quizzed on BBC Radio. Jonathan Aitkin was allowed free reign to announce his fight, using "the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of traditional British fair play". Harold Shipman was interviewed on tv prior to his arrest, but a long time after he has been named as a suspect. Conrad Black was no stranger to tv studios while fighting and appealing charges.

Arron Banks is in interesting company.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!