Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    Didn't mean to refer to him as 'it' either......I need to go back to sleep.
  • Options
    Staged.
    The pushing and shoving wasn't started by the students masked or not.
    Rees Mogg is rapidly rising up the Prince of Darkness league table.
  • Options

I am not a fan of conspiracy theories, from wherever they emerge. I do however share the concern of those who ask, re the video of Rees-Mogg and the "students", why Breitbart thought in advance that this was such an important meeting that they should send along a video camera to cover it. What extraordinary prescience.

Surely it’s obvious the ‘students’ were Palaaarse ultras ... check out their clothing and face coverings :wink:
  • Options
    From the video I saw a bloke in a plain white shirt, unmasked, went up behind the unmasked student and clearly pushed him into Rees Mogg to start trouble.
    Watch it yourself and decide.
  • Options
    Rees- Mogg is starting to make his play for leader. His “gentlemanly” persona giving way to sound bites and controversy. Champion of the swivel eyed loony parliamentary Tories and aging grass root associations, stepping into the limelight and positioning himself to be seen as just as forthright and opinionated as his rival sitting in the Foreign Office.

This man will I fear be in number 10 before too long.
  • Options

Rees- Mogg is starting to make his play for leader. His “gentlemanly” persona giving way to sound bites and controversy. Champion of the swivel eyed loony parliamentary Tories and aging grass root associations, stepping into the limelight and positioning himself to be seen as just as forthright and opinionated as his rival sitting in the Foreign Office.

I can't see how he could make the two-person shortlist the Conservative MPs have to produce from which the membership selects the leader.

Boris would be the choice of the Brexiters. So the question is, do Tory MPs see a contest between Boris and Jacob as being the best way to engage its membership and pave the way for an election win?

If Theresa May is challenged, she could be the other name on the ballot. If she steps down, I think Boris' opponent is likely to be someone less "in the linelighrt".
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Staged.

So Rees-Mogg hired some people to pretend to be students, cover their faces in an intimidating manner as though they might kick off in order for Rees-Mogg to get publicity?

The comments on here seem to be getting more bizarre and perhaps even desperate.
  • Options

Would like to think it couldn't be possible but after Trump! Through gritted teeth I thought Amber Rudd was very impressive on Andrew Marr's programme this morning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

I am not a fan of conspiracy theories, from wherever they emerge. I do however share the concern of those who ask, re the video of Rees-Mogg and the "students", why Breitbart thought in advance that this was such an important meeting that they should send along a video camera to cover it. What extraordinary prescience.

Surely it’s obvious the ‘students’ were Palaaarse ultras ... check out their clothing and face coverings :wink:
    I’m not convinced it was staged, but it is strange the way Rees-Mogg immediately marches down the aisle when they start chanting.

The bloke and the girl in the back row seem genuine and there has been stuff on Twitter revealing their names and that they apparently have previous.

If the ‘men in black’ are for real, then they are pathetic. Wearing balaclavas in case mummy recognises them on tv. Laughable.

• Options

seth plum said:

Staged.

So Rees-Mogg hired some people to pretend to be students, cover their faces in an intimidating manner as though they might kick off in order for Rees-Mogg to get publicity?

The comments on here seem to be getting more bizarre and perhaps even desperate.
    I don't know why you quoted me first, and then went on to write something I didn't say. But as you say yourself, bizarre and desperate.
  • Options
    Whilst I agree with most of Nick Cohen's article he has got previous in attacking both Corbyn and McDonnell and in this case he is wrong to say that they are equally to blame.

They are clearly not in government, not part of the disastrous negotiations, not part of the right-wing pressing for a 'hard Brexit' and were not part of the government that promised the referendum with a binary choice.

Having said that they need to sort out their opposition and soon. As discussed previously they have moved and I accept that they are being politically expedient in doing so gradually. If they don't do so they risk losing my vote*, which would be a shame as they have only just won it back.

*Not that I can think of who else I would vote for.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Staged.

Well, Tubs, like I say, I am not a conspiracy theorist. However, this much I know:

1. Manipulation of students by extremists has been going on for years. In my day, it was mainly the tactic of the far left. At Portsmouth Poly, local non students were often heavily involved in the most aggressive demos and activities. The difference was only the lack of social media which meant only we knew what was going on, not the whole world.

2. I live in a country where more than 40 Russian backed disinformation websites operate in plain sight.

3. British people read Breitbart.

4. JRM told lies in plain sight last week, and refused to apologize.

For those reasons I take seriously the idea that Breitbart were involved in a staged fracas. It is I suppose possible that JRM did not know it was planned.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Chizz said:

I can't see how he could make the two-person shortlist the Conservative MPs have to produce from which the membership selects the leader.

Boris would be the choice of the Brexiters. So the question is, do Tory MPs see a contest between Boris and Jacob as being the best way to engage its membership and pave the way for an election win?

If Theresa May is challenged, she could be the other name on the ballot. If she steps down, I think Boris' opponent is likely to be someone less "in the linelighrt".
    You might well be right of course but JRM is very much darling of the Tory activists and as yet is not tainted by high office. He’s a leading if not THE leading brexiteer who actually believes it’s the right thing to do unlike the self serving liars Johnson, Gove et al. Although I really don’t think any part of the Conservative party are thinking in terms of a general election any year soon, they will have to give it thought at some point. Johnson is already a very divisive figure who has been seen to be incompetent and a loose cannon. I’m not sure that the wider electorate would see him in number ten. Mogg on the other hand is a classic Tory slightly eccentric toff who has found his time in the mess that is a Tory orchestrated Brexit. Should the Brexit arm of the party need to choose a champion I can see him getting the nod over Boris. They won’t want to split the loony vote. I do think Amber Rudd could emerge as a contender and be more widely electable but would that satisfy the Tories obsession with running us off a cliff.

I’m still sticking with Rees-Mogg to succeed May.

• Options
    seth plum said:

From the video I saw a bloke in a plain white shirt, unmasked, went up behind the unmasked student and clearly pushed him into Rees Mogg to start trouble.
    Watch it yourself and decide.

Not my style of the way to protest and unlike a lot of Leavers I'm not a fan of conspiracy but there's no doubt in my mind it was escalated by the bloke coming from the crowd and pushing the protestor. Doubt he's a Breitbart stooge but from that point onwards it just gets more pushy and shouty and plays right into the hands of those portraying Moggy as a victim.
  • Options

Whilst I agree with most of Nick Cohen's article he has got previous in attacking both Corbyn and McDonnell and in this case he is wrong to say that they are equally to blame.

They are clearly not in government, not part of the disastrous negotiations, not part of the right-wing pressing for a 'hard Brexit' and were not part of the government that promised the referendum with a binary choice.

Having said that they need to sort out their opposition and soon. As discussed previously they have moved and I accept that they are being politically expedient in doing so gradually. If they don't do so they risk losing my vote*, which would be a shame as they have only just won it back.

*Not that I can think of who else I would vote for.

You are obviously correct to say that they aren't in government and not part of the dreadful negotiations but didn't they vote for the referendum and for article 50?

I sympathise about your dilemma on who to vote for. I wouldn't be surprised if two thirds of voters feel the same.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is also the no small matter of Amber Rudd coming alarmingly close (for her) to losing her seat at the last General Election. She is obviously not seen by her own constituency as shoe in for MP. Could you just imagine the embarrassment for the party of the current PM losing their seat ?

Just a thought.
  • Options

There is also the no small matter of Amber Rudd coming alarmingly close (for her) to losing her seat at the last General Election. She is obviously not seen by her own constituency as shoe in for MP. Could you just imagine the embarrassment for the party of the current PM losing their seat ?

Just a thought.

I noticed she highlighted the plight of the poor Hastings fishermen this morning!
  • Options
    From The Irish Times: https://irishtimes.com/business/economy/chris-johns-talk-of-uk-economic-nirvana-from-brexit-is-just-hot-air-1.3379503?mode=amp.

If the interpretation is correct, and I'm not saying that it is, the UK could be set for interesting times.
  • Options
    While, at the same time, and reassuringly, Fintan O'Toole concedes that, whilst he obviously believes Brexit to be at least a bit insane, it's not the craziest thing that England has ever done (which is nice): https://irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-is-brexit-the-maddest-thing-england-has-ever-done-not-quite-1.3373995?mode=amp.
  • Options

While, at the same time, and reassuringly, Fintan O'Toole concedes that, whilst he obviously believes Brexit to be at least a bit insane, it's not the craziest thing that England has ever done (which is nice): https://irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-is-brexit-the-maddest-thing-england-has-ever-done-not-quite-1.3373995?mode=amp.

I’ve never been particularly run-of-the-mill.

And I have never had a problem holding differing views to the mainstream ... at times that has been a problem, but never worried me.

On many more occasions, having the ability to think tangentially has proved to be beneficial.

I guess my point is that I have no problem in being thought of as crazy.

:smiley:
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

I’ve never been particularly run-of-the-mill.

And I have never had a problem holding differing views to the mainstream ... at times that has been a problem, but never worried me.

On many more occasions, having the ability to think tangentially has proved to be beneficial.

I guess my point is that I have no problem in being thought of as crazy.

:smiley:
    So it was you who was responsible for the 100 years war!
  • Options
    While we are on the subject of the complete tool, is he the other member of Rees-Mogg's "group" as in European Research Group? That's that part solved then. Can anyone help me with the other two words? In what way is it "European" and most of all what "research" has it carried out? And what external funds does it receive, and from whom?

As a name it sounds like the IRA, by which I mean the Internet Research Authority, the respectable sounding name for the Russian State group which runs the troll factories. Another global tactic of the extreme right, then, invent sober sounding names for extremely dodgy operations.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

While we are on the subject of the complete tool, is he the other member of Rees-Mogg's "group" as in European Research Group? That's that part solved then. Can anyone help me with the other two words? In what way is it "European" and most of all what "research" has it carried out? And what external funds does it receive, and from whom?

As a name it sounds like the IRA, by which I mean the Internet Research Authority, the respectable sounding name for the Russian State group which runs the troll factories. Another global tactic of the extreme right, then, invent sober sounding names for extremely dodgy operations.

You'll love this @PragueAddick but there was a piece in the news over the weekend that some of them are claiming back the £2k a year fees paid to be a member as part of their MP's expenses. So in short you're subsidising it.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/mps-call-full-investigation-ministers-european-research-group-expense-claims/
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!