Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2018

Fiiish said:

The difference is the rules are clear cut in all of your examples. There were no provisions for what would happen in the case of any result (even a 50 50 tie) in the legislation. Hence why electoral laws did not apply in the referendum. There effectively was no result legally speaking, just a poll to be interpreted.

This, for me, is the biggest problem.

Why was the referendum not used as exactly that, a poll, which MPs can then vote on based on how their constituents voted, if you don't like it, you can vote your MP out. Gay marriage in Australia being a useful example I think.

However, to suggest brexit did not get a majority is just wrong.
    Suggest you look up the definitions of majority and minority. Or perhaps you can provide a link to a definition where 37% of those eligible to vote is classed as a majority. Leave had a very slightly larger minority than Remain. It most certainly did not get a majority. Which makes terms like "will of the people" and delivering "what the British people want" laughable.
    When talking about results surely those who couldn't be bothered to vote can't be included.
    Who says all that didn't vote couldn't be bothered? Vote was 23rd June. Hundreds of thousands of students would be returning home from college. Where were they registered to vote? Home or college? Had they even applied? Most would never have seen a ballot paper. Probably had important stuff like exams to worry about and switched over when Boris or Farage were on TV. This is why a 1st past the post vote on a non-binding referendum should not lead us over the cliff edge.
    I'd list those people very firmly in the "couldn't be bothered" camp.
    Stu. Like your posts but when did you last spend any time in the shithole that this country is fast becomming? Did you vote for or against Armageddom? Or couldn't you be bovvered?
  • Options

Fiiish said:

The difference is the rules are clear cut in all of your examples. There were no provisions for what would happen in the case of any result (even a 50 50 tie) in the legislation. Hence why electoral laws did not apply in the referendum. There effectively was no result legally speaking, just a poll to be interpreted.

This, for me, is the biggest problem.

Why was the referendum not used as exactly that, a poll, which MPs can then vote on based on how their constituents voted, if you don't like it, you can vote your MP out. Gay marriage in Australia being a useful example I think.

However, to suggest brexit did not get a majority is just wrong.
    Suggest you look up the definitions of majority and minority. Or perhaps you can provide a link to a definition where 37% of those eligible to vote is classed as a majority. Leave had a very slightly larger minority than Remain. It most certainly did not get a majority. Which makes terms like "will of the people" and delivering "what the British people want" laughable.
    When talking about results surely those who couldn't be bothered to vote can't be included.
    Who says all that didn't vote couldn't be bothered? Vote was 23rd June. Hundreds of thousands of students would be returning home from college. Where were they registered to vote? Home or college? Had they even applied? Most would never have seen a ballot paper. Probably had important stuff like exams to worry about and switched over when Boris or Farage were on TV. This is why a 1st past the post vote on a non-binding referendum should not lead us over the cliff edge.
    I'd list those people very firmly in the "couldn't be bothered" camp.
    Stu. Like your posts but when did you last spend any time in the shithole that this country is fast becomming? Did you vote for or against Armageddom? Or couldn't you be bovvered?
    I was last back in London during December, I suffered really badly from 'reverse culture shock' to be honest and found my entire trip quote depressing, although it was great to see my family, I'm in no rush to go back again though.

Voting or not was a very tough decision for me, as I felt like I shouldn't, as I don't ever see England as being my home again, however, in the end, yes, I did vote. If I can manage it from the other side of the world I don't think being 'away at college' is much of an excuse!

As to which way my vote went, I think that's pretty obvious ;)
  • Options

I have just written this article and sent it to the Guardian and they published it.
    Honest.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/02/tory-rebels-launch-bid-to-keep-uk-in-customs-union-with-eu

Yes but will you be at the match tomorrow?

:-)
    I might be on the bench!
    Being stretched I hope...
  • Options

bobmunro said:

stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

stonemuse said:

I do wonder whether or not some remainers would use the same argument if 'remain' had received '51%'.

I am fairly sure that they would be making the same argument that a few Brexiteers are currently making.

In other words, most people use whichever argument suits their agenda.

As Nigel Farage said, if Remain had gotten 52% then it would be unfinished business and I agree with that. UKIP certainly would not have disbanded and the right would still have continued their anti-EU agenda. And I wouldn't have expected anything else.

Yet Brexiters expected the rest of the British people to shut up and accept their opinion as "the will of the people" even though they do not represent even half of the British people.

So the argument that Remainers would be acting as petulantly and undemocratically as Brexiters if they had won by a similar margin is total nonsense. We've been letting you have your input for 40 years and we would still have accepted a large portion of the British public had issues with our EU membership. Whereas Brexiters seem to act that only their opinion matters and anyone who wants to stop Brexit is either a traitor or not respecting democracy. Dangerous in my opinion to let such attitudes go unchecked.
    As usual, you place all Brexiters together as if we only have a hive mind and no individual ideas and thoughts.

You know full well that many of us have been more than willing to debate and listen to counter arguments.

However, if that suits your agenda, up to you.
    stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

stonemuse said:

I do wonder whether or not some remainers would use the same argument if 'remain' had received '51%'.

I am fairly sure that they would be making the same argument that a few Brexiteers are currently making.

As Nigel Farage said, if Remain had gotten 52% then it would be unfinished business and I agree with that. UKIP certainly would not have disbanded and the right would still have continued their anti-EU agenda. And I wouldn't have expected anything else.

Yet Brexiters expected the rest of the British people to shut up and accept their opinion as "the will of the people" even though they do not represent even half of the British people.

So the argument that Remainers would be acting as petulantly and undemocratically as Brexiters if they had won by a similar margin is total nonsense. We've been letting you have your input for 40 years and we would still have accepted a large portion of the British public had issues with our EU membership. Whereas Brexiters seem to act that only their opinion matters and anyone who wants to stop Brexit is either a traitor or not respecting democracy. Dangerous in my opinion to let such attitudes go unchecked.
    As usual, you place all Brexiters together as if we only have a hive mind and no individual ideas and thoughts.

You know full well that many of us have been more than willing to debate and listen to counter arguments.

stonemuse said:

Fiiish said:

stonemuse said:

Sorry to say that I find you to be a minority, both on here and in the wider public discourse. Many Brexiters seem, mysteriously, to have no opinion on any other political isse than Brexit. Many are just people who feel a need to be furious, and Brexit is easy to get furious about. Oh and immigration, which to them is the same thing. Ask them their views on a hypothecated tax for the NHS, the rebalancing of the UK economy away from London, how to pay for university education, how to tax Google, etc etc, and they melt away.

Don't mention Google when Yoda Chippy is around - it's like a red bull to a rag (oops sorry wrong thread).
    Its not a red bull mate, its the copying and pasting from it and pretending its your own work, as has happened here too many times, the culprits know i know and this behaviour gladly has declined a little.
    Can you provide an example of someone posting a link and pretending it is their own work? How would that even work? Unless they copy an article and paste it in a post without the link?
    Easy like this : -

Two leading Conservative MPs have launched a bid to make Theresa May keep the UK in a customs union with the European Union, as the prime minister faces cabinet and party splits over the issue.
  • Options
    If brexit means control of the borders does anybody have an update about how this will happen in practice?
  • Options

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

@Dippenhall made the point that the UK's objective is to have its cake and eat it and that Remain voters will laugh and say don't be silly, we must accept the sub-optimal outcome the EU has as its objective.

But, as time moves on, evidence is slowly growing that maybe the EU will move after all. Their current intransigence is a negotiating ploy.

Let’s see what Italy are now saying:
    https://bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-24/should-brexit-deal-include-financial-services-italy-thinks-so

Italian leader Paolo Gentiloni said that any accord reached between the U.K. and the European Union must include financial services.

Gentiloni, in an interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos Wednesday, said that among the remaining EU states there was a “strongly prevailing position supporting the necessity of having a good deal with the U.K.”

Financial services “will be part of the agreement,” since excluding them “is totally unrealistic,” he said. That position jars with the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, who has said that a Brexit deal similar to the free-trade pact struck with Canada is the most likely scenario for Britain once it leaves.

What about France? Macron suggested in a BBC interview over the weekend a couple of weeks back that a deal could cover aspects of financial services, “but it depends on what you’re ready to put on the table in terms of precondition.”

Belgium?
    https://ft.com/content/c9f8506c-df17-11e7-a8a4-0a1e63a52f9c

Belgian prime minister Charles Michel has said that a “Ceta plus plus” should be the cornerstone of the new UK-EU relationship.

As a recent EU commentator noted, what makes this so frustrating is that there are now signs that the EU governments are prepared to engage constructively; there is far less of a desire to ‘punish’ Britain than in the immediate aftermath of the vote.

Even Angela Merkel expresses her frustration that May won’t say what the UK wants.

Lord Bridges, who served as May’s Brexit minister until a few months ago, puts it starkly: ‘Four months on, and there are still no clear answers to basic, critical questions. All we hear, day after day, are conflicting, confusing voices.’

It’s about time our political leaders actually defined exactly what needs to be done and then sit down with the EU and get it started. Then appropriate forecasts and costings can be done for a ‘bespoke’ deal.

In Barnier's defence, I understand that the Canada deal does include some access for services, but not the degree currently enjoyed by EU member states themselves.

The EU27 has always made clear that they would prefer a close economic relationship arising from a future deal (the Irish Government, for one, has been consistent on the kind of deal it would like to see). However, the conditions outlined by the Prime Minister over the last year are incompatible with what the EU27 have envisaged.

I have seen little sign of a shift in either side's positions - very little that has been said about financial services access is incompatible with the preferred EU27 solution (Single Market & Customs Union).

We need to pay close attention to the mandate that Barnier has been given for Phase 2 of the Exit negotiations, because he will not be able to negotiate an outline trade agreement that has not been agreed by the EU27.
    I find the Italian comment very interesting.
    For what it's worth, I do too.

I am just cautioning that it is not inconsistent with the EU27 position to date. It may be that he suggested that all financial sectors be included, but if he did not, it is not really a new position.
    According to the quotes, he definitely did state it, and also mentioned that support exists elsewhere.

There was always going to be eventual movement on their side.

Lots of brinkmanship to come and may be who blinks first ... which is unlikely to be the UK as May does not know what she wants.
  • Options

I have just written this article and sent it to the Guardian and they published it.
    Honest.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/02/tory-rebels-launch-bid-to-keep-uk-in-customs-union-with-eu

I might be on the bench!
    Chips! Are you a member of the Supporters Trust? Now is the time to join, if not, as we approach a new ownership and the chance to get things back in a normal footing. The Trust is of course Brexit neutral, so why not stop by at the stall outside the Covered End, and allow me to personally relieve you of a fiver?
  • Options

Well lots of people who knew they didn't know enough to form an opinion voted, hence " what is the EU" was the most Googled term in the UK the day AFTER the referendum

Sure... They were all brexiters... Theres mountains/swathes of evidence to support this.
    No, the circumstantial evidence suggests it was government ministers and their civil servants doing the googling. That's why Cameron resigned cos he opposed the best option.
  • Options
    Are Ebbsfleet fans allowed to join the Trust?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

@Dippenhall made the point that the UK's objective is to have its cake and eat it and that Remain voters will laugh and say don't be silly, we must accept the sub-optimal outcome the EU has as its objective.

But, as time moves on, evidence is slowly growing that maybe the EU will move after all. Their current intransigence is a negotiating ploy.

https://bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-24/should-brexit-deal-include-financial-services-italy-thinks-so

Italian leader Paolo Gentiloni said that any accord reached between the U.K. and the European Union must include financial services.

Gentiloni, in an interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos Wednesday, said that among the remaining EU states there was a “strongly prevailing position supporting the necessity of having a good deal with the U.K.”

Financial services “will be part of the agreement,” since excluding them “is totally unrealistic,” he said. That position jars with the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, who has said that a Brexit deal similar to the free-trade pact struck with Canada is the most likely scenario for Britain once it leaves.

What about France? Macron suggested in a BBC interview over the weekend a couple of weeks back that a deal could cover aspects of financial services, “but it depends on what you’re ready to put on the table in terms of precondition.”

Belgium?

Belgian prime minister Charles Michel has said that a “Ceta plus plus” should be the cornerstone of the new UK-EU relationship.

As a recent EU commentator noted, what makes this so frustrating is that there are now signs that the EU governments are prepared to engage constructively; there is far less of a desire to ‘punish’ Britain than in the immediate aftermath of the vote.

Even Angela Merkel expresses her frustration that May won’t say what the UK wants.

Lord Bridges, who served as May’s Brexit minister until a few months ago, puts it starkly: ‘Four months on, and there are still no clear answers to basic, critical questions. All we hear, day after day, are conflicting, confusing voices.’

It’s about time our political leaders actually defined exactly what needs to be done and then sit down with the EU and get it started. Then appropriate forecasts and costings can be done for a ‘bespoke’ deal.

In Barnier's defence, I understand that the Canada deal does include some access for services, but not the degree currently enjoyed by EU member states themselves.

The EU27 has always made clear that they would prefer a close economic relationship arising from a future deal (the Irish Government, for one, has been consistent on the kind of deal it would like to see). However, the conditions outlined by the Prime Minister over the last year are incompatible with what the EU27 have envisaged.

I have seen little sign of a shift in either side's positions - very little that has been said about financial services access is incompatible with the preferred EU27 solution (Single Market & Customs Union).

We need to pay close attention to the mandate that Barnier has been given for Phase 2 of the Exit negotiations, because he will not be able to negotiate an outline trade agreement that has not been agreed by the EU27.

I am just cautioning that it is not inconsistent with the EU27 position to date. It may be that he suggested that all financial sectors be included, but if he did not, it is not really a new position.
    According to the quotes, he definitely did state it, and also mentioned that support exists elsewhere.

Lots of brinkmanship to come and may be who blinks first ... which is unlikely to be the UK as May does not know what she wants.
    I finally got around to watching the video.

Gentiloni's perspective is interesting and thoughtful (if possibly of limited value, given the upcoming General Election - I could live without the Berlusconi come back).

What he is suggesting, IMHO, is that financial services will not be subject to separate trade deal (which suggests more negotiating time developing the trade deal post-Brexit) and that the EU27 are prepared fo compromise in any deal (but this is the nature of a negotiated agreement - achieving agreement requires compromise).

I still don't see how this is inconsistent with what has been said before (or since). The nature and degree of any proposed trade association between the UK and EU will determine the kind of access that UK financial services will have to the EU Single Market.

It is still up to the UK to detail the relationship that it wants, and how it sees it working, and then, if considered by the EU27 an acceptable model, post-Brexit detailed negotiation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Belgium?

Gentiloni's perspective is interesting and thoughtful (if possibly of limited value, given the upcoming General Election - I could live without the Berlusconi come back).

What he is suggesting, IMHO, is that financial services will not be subject to separate trade deal (which suggests more negotiating time developing the trade deal post-Brexit) and that the EU27 are prepared fo compromise in any deal (but this is the nature of a negotiated agreement - achieving agreement requires compromise).

I still don't see how this is inconsistent with what has been said before (or since). The nature and degree of any proposed trade association between the UK and EU will determine the kind of access that UK financial services will have to the EU Single Market.

It is still up to the UK to detail the relationship that it wants, and how it sees it working, and then, if considered by the EU27 an acceptable model, post-Brexit detailed negotiation.
    No argument with that. The question is whether or not May will detail what she wants ...or even knows.

Perversely, the longer she prevaricates, the more likely it could be that the EU may move its position in the direction Brexiters prefer, so as to avoid a ‘no-deal’ which would harm everyone.

Personally I am getting to the stage where I believe May will be ousted this year - she is a fence-sitter and that is of no use to the country at this stage.

Unless she can show commitment and a sense of purpose ... unlikely ... the move towards a vote of confidence gets closer. Such a possibility requires 48 letters to the chairman of the 1922 committee - it is rumoured that the number has already passed 40.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Belgium?

No argument with that. The question is whether or not May will detail what she wants ...or even knows.

Perversely, the longer she prevaricates, the more likely it could be that the EU may move its position in the direction Brexiters prefer, so as to avoid a ‘no-deal’ which would harm everyone.

Personally I am getting to the stage where I believe May will be ousted this year - she is a fence-sitter and that is of no use to the country at this stage.

Unless she can show commitment and a sense of purpose ... unlikely ... the move towards a vote of confidence gets closer. Such a possibility requires 48 letters to the chairman of the 1922 committee - it is rumoured that the number has already passed 40.
    There's a real problem for the Tories, though, in that there is enough factionalism to undermine any leader - May represents her party perfectly.

The bigger worry I would have is that the additional uncertainty and delay caused by an internal Tory process would damage the country's chances of getting a reasonable outcome.
  • Options
    The brexiters have created a great string to avoid responsibility.

It goes something like brexiters saying it was the will of the people and it is up to our elected politicians to then make it happen. Then the elected politicians saying it was the will of the UK and it is up to the EU to make it happen.

Whatever 'it' is.

Those who voted brexit didn't know what they were voting for however many times they say they did, because they don't have a clue what they want, and even less of a clue as to how to make it happen.

It's as if everybody voted for eternal life, but it is up to the doctors to make it happen, and the doctors saying to the religions that the people voted for eternal life and the religions have to make it happen.

They say nothing will be agreed until all of a sudden everything is agreed. The only problem is that no brexiters have explained what that actual 'thing' is, and I suspect it is because the brexiters xenophobia trumps their ability to think.

Come on brexiters. Suggest a workable idea. Even one might help to get us started. One measly idea. One. Come on.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It goes something like brexiters saying it was the will of the people and it is up to our elected politicians to then make it happen. Then the elected politicians saying it was the will of the UK and it is up to the EU to make it happen.

Whatever 'it' is.

Those who voted brexit didn't know what they were voting for however many times they say they did, because they don't have a clue what they want, and even less of a clue as to how to make it happen.

It's as if everybody voted for eternal life, but it is up to the doctors to make it happen, and the doctors saying to the religions that the people voted for eternal life and the religions have to make it happen.

They say nothing will be agreed until all of a sudden everything is agreed. The only problem is that no brexiters have explained what that actual 'thing' is, and I suspect it is because the brexiters xenophobia trumps their ability to think.

Come on brexiters. Suggest a workable idea. Even one might help to get us started. One measly idea. One. Come on.

Neither did you
  • Options
    edited February 2018

seth plum said:

Whatever 'it' is.

Neither did you
    You can't expect the losers to come up the solutions - surely?

Your side won, Chippy - the winners decide what to do, don't they?

Come on, give us a clue.

Just re-read your post and maybe the 'neither did you' refers to remainers also not knowing what they voted for. Well that's pretty obvious isn't it? No change - remain as is, status quo. It was simple - only remainers knew what they were voting for.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

seth plum said:

Whatever 'it' is.

Neither did you

Come on, give us a clue.

Just re-read your post and maybe the 'neither did you' refers to remainers also not knowing what they voted for. Well that's pretty obvious isn't it? No change - remain as is, status quo. It was simple - only remainers knew what they were voting for.
    Don't make me laugh....if we didn't know what we were voting for and have no answer then the flip side must be you do....you have had 19 months reading bollocks from so called experts no-one has heard off, and listening to that bollocks from experts here (lol) and then all of a sudden you become worldy on those subjects.

Anyway whats your view of the game today...assume you went.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If brexit means control of the borders does anybody have an update about how this will happen in practice?

NOBODY CARES.
  • Options

Honest.

I might be on the bench!
    Chips! Are you a member of the Supporters Trust? Now is the time to join, if not, as we approach a new ownership and the chance to get things back in a normal footing. The Trust is of course Brexit neutral, so why not stop by at the stall outside the Covered End, and allow me to personally relieve you of a fiver?
    Course man count me in
  • Options

Honest.

I might be on the bench!
    What time were you there as I bought a shirt and programme at 10.15
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Ebbsfleet fans are the salt of the earth.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

seth plum said:

Whatever 'it' is.

Neither did you

Come on, give us a clue.

Don't make me laugh....if we didn't know what we were voting for and have no answer then the flip side must be you do....you have had 19 months reading bollocks from so called experts no-one has heard off, and listening to that bollocks from experts here (lol) and then all of a sudden you become worldy on those subjects.

Anyway whats your view of the game today...assume you went.
    Yes I have an answer - cancel the bollocks that is brexit. You voted leave so what’s your answer (apart from the obvious just leave)?

250 miles away with a broken hip - so no, I didn’t go to the game today.

• Options

Honest.

I might be on the bench!
    10.15 ?? WTF.?

Was you there?
  • Options

Chizz said:

Ebbsfleet fans are the salt of the earth.
    Well I can think of one who ought to be kept in a cellar.
  • Options

seth plum said:

NOBODY CARES.
    Pardon?
  • Options

Honest.

I might be on the bench!
    10.15 ?? WTF.?

Was you there?
    Yes I certainly was
  • Options
    I'm thinking of starting a business selling hair shirts. I reckon that I might get a few customers if I promote them on this thread.
  • Options

I'm thinking of starting a business selling hair shirts. I reckon that I might get a few customers if I promote them on this thread.

I don't think Leavers are at the stage where they are ready to be penitent yet though. I suggest you give a few years for the full affects of their actions to kick in and try again then.

;-)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!