Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Arsenal v Cologne

Comments

• Options

1StevieG said:

Frothing at the mouth because a few thousand away fans managed to get into home areas is quite valid I think. Even though it went off fairly quietly with a few scuffles I doubt that folks with their kids found it any less scary.

OK I take that point, but that wasn't what former Coveredender @Covered End ( :smile: ) was frothing about. The question I am still not seeing answered in the media is how many of them got in without tickets, and how the hell that happened, if it did. If so, I would have expected a lot more than "five public order arrests". If they nearly all purchased tickets, then its Arsenal who have some questions to answer.

I look forward to your balanced view the next time we hit the headlines if only 5 arrests are made :wink:

Somehow I think your approach will be very different.
    Are you a fan of balanced views?
    Are you suggesting otherwise?
    Should I be?
    Why do you ask?
    Interested to know if you are a fan of balanced views, you don't have to tell me.
    Yes, yes I am. I now look forward to whatever it is you've been dying to dig out or the actual point you've been wanting to make.

Fill your boots.
    Good to hear it. I will look forward to seeing balanced comments from you in the future then.

We got there in the end, no need to fill my boots.
    One mans balanced is another mans skewed.

We'd have got there even sooner if you hadn't fannied about in saying what you really wanted to say.
    So not balanced then?

I would have thought you would have enjoyed a pithy conversation, so why rush.
    Again, you 'thought' wrong. Becoming somewhat of a habit.
    So I can look forward to both balanced remarks and verbose comments from you in the future then?
    Did my answer only leave you with the option suggested in your latest retort?

If not then it seems a bit odd that you'd jump to a singular conclusion.
    So I can't then?
  • Options

1StevieG said:

Frothing at the mouth because a few thousand away fans managed to get into home areas is quite valid I think. Even though it went off fairly quietly with a few scuffles I doubt that folks with their kids found it any less scary.

OK I take that point, but that wasn't what former Coveredender @Covered End ( :smile: ) was frothing about. The question I am still not seeing answered in the media is how many of them got in without tickets, and how the hell that happened, if it did. If so, I would have expected a lot more than "five public order arrests". If they nearly all purchased tickets, then its Arsenal who have some questions to answer.

I look forward to your balanced view the next time we hit the headlines if only 5 arrests are made :wink:

Should I be?
    Why do you ask?
    Interested to know if you are a fan of balanced views, you don't have to tell me.
    Yes, yes I am. I now look forward to whatever it is you've been dying to dig out or the actual point you've been wanting to make.

Fill your boots.
    Good to hear it. I will look forward to seeing balanced comments from you in the future then.

We'd have got there even sooner if you hadn't fannied about in saying what you really wanted to say.
    So not balanced then?

So I can look forward to both balanced remarks and verbose comments from you in the future then?

So I can't then?
    Maybe, maybe not.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

From your BBC report @Covered End

"They did throw bottles and let off flares, but there was no significant disorder, police were on scene and there have been no arrests."

You do realise that apart from the flares, the Sint-Truiden police would have made an identical comment when we - you and I - were there in March?

So you're condoning throwing bottles around London and letting off flares ?

You condone the assaults on the stewards ?

Unbelievable, you seem to often take the side of Europeans over the English.

If English fans were throwing bottles and letting off flares in Prague, you would be fine with that would you ?

NB Charlton fans in Sint-Truiden didn't throw bottles or let off flares.

My God you're insufferable at times.

https://twitter.com/TheRealCasuals_
    I am afraid you are wrong there. A group of little herberts did. I saw and heard it happen. And to the best of my knowledge, they were not arrested, possibly because some others found the culprits and told them to pack it in, rather like happened last night.

As a % of the 250 or so who went, they were tiny. However 5 arrests as a percentage of 20,000 is so small my tiny brain can't calculate it. I am sure you can.

Ae you trying to become CL's answer to Mary Whitehouse?

• Options

What exactly have the Cologne fans done wrong?

Throwing bottles and letting off flares & fighting amongst themselves in London.

3,000 had tickets and it looks like far more than that have got in.

Fighting stewards.

https://twitter.com/TheRealCasuals_?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/79155/arsenal-v-cologne
    According to a Twitter account with a limited command of the English language. Might be better to wait until the morning before rushing to judgement?
    Read the thread. Read the BBC report (1st post), watch the videos, it's all there.
    You need to get that knee seen to, it keeps jerking.

Am I seriously to believe that around 17,000 Cologne fans without tickets got into the Emirates for free? and what happened to the 17,000 loyal Arsenal fans they have presumably displaced?

"When the gates were finally opened, Cologne fans happily went in and crowded at least one quarter of the stadium."

I don't know how they got in and I didn't say they all got in for free, because they obviously didn't.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Grown up Twiiter account from a Brit who knows what he is talking about here, @Covered End if you care to consider a more sober and balanced viewpoint
  • Options

1StevieG said:

You want a balanced view of last night from someone you wouldn't consider to be "biased" against Millwall?

No problem. . Written by the Spanner who is leading the media fight against Lewisham Council for you

• Options
    edited September 2017
    "In the most fraught moments leading up to kick-off police riot teams could be seen snaking through the huge crowd at the turnstiles, and some arrests were made after a group of Cologne fans tried to storm one of the entrances. There were scuffles among the visiting fans and some nasty moments in the away end in the delay before kick-off as those with tickets in other parts of the ground tried to force their way into the main mass of Cologne fans and fought intermittently with stewards. Eventually the police arrived, hundreds of extra officers having been scrambled to deal with a situation that appeared to have caught them on the hop a little."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/sep/14/cologne-fans-arsenal-english-football-taste-medicine
  • Options

1StevieG said:

You want a balanced view of last night from someone you wouldn't consider to be "biased" against Millwall?

No problem. . Written by the Spanner who is leading the media fight against Lewisham Council for you

The clue was in the 'we' part of my post. The next time 'we' play should have been a massive give away, mate.

I know you've given a balanced view on last night. I simply asked that you afford us the same courtesy the next time West Ham show up out of the blue and cause trouble at one of our fixtures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

if arsenal would of given a fair allocation 20% wouldn't of seen this bother, some of there fans clearly didn't care about the game.

Have
    twat
    Correct twat
  • Options

In the most fraught moments leading up to kick-off police riot teams could be seen snaking through the huge crowd at the turnstiles, and some arrests were made after a group of Cologne fans tried to storm one of the entrances. There were scuffles among the visiting fans and some nasty moments in the away end in the delay before kick-off as those with tickets in other parts of the ground tried to force their way into the main mass of Cologne fans and fought intermittently with stewards. Eventually the police arrived, hundreds of extra officers having been scrambled to deal with a situation that appeared to have caught them on the hop a little.

Look, it's just a football forum and not The FT letters page, but it is kind of normal to put speechmarks around a quotation and tell people where you got it from , so that they can read the whole article, and as a result, come to a different conclusion to that which they might have just reading the above on its own.

He lifted it from the Barney Ronay article I mentioned to BBW above...

• Options

In the most fraught moments leading up to kick-off police riot teams could be seen snaking through the huge crowd at the turnstiles, and some arrests were made after a group of Cologne fans tried to storm one of the entrances. There were scuffles among the visiting fans and some nasty moments in the away end in the delay before kick-off as those with tickets in other parts of the ground tried to force their way into the main mass of Cologne fans and fought intermittently with stewards. Eventually the police arrived, hundreds of extra officers having been scrambled to deal with a situation that appeared to have caught them on the hop a little.

Look, it's just a football forum and not The FT letters page, but it is kind of normal to put speechmarks around a quotation and tell people where you got it from , so that they can read the whole article, and as a result, come to a different conclusion to that which they might have just reading the above on its own.

He lifted it from the Barney Ronay article I mentioned to BBW above...

I've just remembered your personal situation, so I'll leave it there.
  • Options

I can't recollect German fans ever coming over in such numbers, and causing such problems before, I imagine everyone was caught out, both clubs and the police.

From what I've heard there was talk all over the forums of people saying they were going to the Emirates ticket or not.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Fair play to the Cologne fan in that article. But they should have also thought about the issues that would occur with thousands of away fans pouring into the home areas. It's bloody lucky it went off without major disturbances.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Fair play to the Cologne fan in that article. But they should have also thought about the issues that would occur with thousands of away fans pouring into the home areas. It's bloody lucky it went off without major disturbances.

Lucky it was Arsenal.
  • Options

1StevieG said:

Lucky it was Arsenal.
    Exactly.
    If it was Chelsea or millwall for instance it would have been carnage
  • Options

1StevieG said:

Lucky it was Arsenal.
    Exactly.
    If it was Chelsea or millwall for instance it would have been carnage
    Or Charlton. "You'll never take the West!!!"

• Options

From your BBC report @Covered End

"They did throw bottles and let off flares, but there was no significant disorder, police were on scene and there have been no arrests."

You do realise that apart from the flares, the Sint-Truiden police would have made an identical comment when we - you and I - were there in March?

So you're condoning throwing bottles around London and letting off flares ?

You condone the assaults on the stewards ?

Unbelievable, you seem to often take the side of Europeans over the English.

If English fans were throwing bottles and letting off flares in Prague, you would be fine with that would you ?

NB Charlton fans in Sint-Truiden didn't throw bottles or let off flares.

My God you're insufferable at times.

https://twitter.com/TheRealCasuals_
    I am afraid you are wrong there. A group of little herberts did. I saw and heard it happen. And to the best of my knowledge, they were not arrested, possibly because some others found the culprits and told them to pack it in, rather like happened last night.

As a % of the 250 or so who went, they were tiny. However 5 arrests as a percentage of 20,000 is so small my tiny brain can't calculate it. I am sure you can.

Ae you trying to become CL's answer to Mary Whitehouse?

Bottles and flares thrown in St Truiden? Been four times and seen nothing but respect for citizens of both countries and fans of all clubs involved there.

And the biggest contingent of Charlton fans there was closely co-ordinated with the local police and authorities, unlike the chaos caused last night by hoards of ticketless Germans.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Just for clarification, as Prague seems to think I was overreacting and acting like Mary Whitehouse.

My reaction was saying that the Cologne fans were ;-

"Throwing bottles and letting off flares & fighting amongst themselves in London.

3,000 had tickets and it looks like far more than that have got in.

Fighting stewards."

These are all facts. I had seen footage of them fighting and one guy kicking another guy in the head.

I had seen the footage with far more than 3,000 fans in the stadium.

I took the police's word that their fans had been throwing bottles and letting off flares in London, which I think is reasonable evidence.

I made no other remark until I was told my comments should not be made without knowing the facts, which was complete nonsense, because I had seen the facts.

It wasn't me making a mountain out of a mole hill.
  • Options
    I would say that if just 20 ticketless Millwall fans broke in through the turnstiles and brazenly sat in the West Stand this site would implode
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I would say that if just 20 ticketless Millwall fans broke in through the turnstiles and brazenly sat in the West Stand this site would implode

It did when there were half a dozen of them in The East.
  • Options

1StevieG said:

Should I be?
    Why do you ask?

Fill your boots.

So not balanced then?

So I can't then?
    Maybe, maybe not.
    Good answer, made me laugh.
  • Options
    I am surprised at some of the comments on here making light of the situation. We all know what happened the last time a large group of ticketless fans stormed into a ground.......Hillsborough.

The situation last night could have been much worse had the Arsenal fans turned up in numbers because I doubt the German fans knew there were going to be so many empty seats.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I am surprised at some of the comments on here making light of the situation. We all know what happened the last time a large group of ticketless fans stormed into a ground.......Hillsborough.

The situation last night could have been much worse had the Arsenal fans turned up in numbers because I doubt the German fans knew there were going to be so many empty seats.

If that's really the last time ticketless fans turned up, you've got to say Mike, 28 years... that's a pretty good run.

Hillsborough was a combination of factors, mostly defined by bad crowd management. And as I understand it, the Cologne fans were motivated by the knowledge that there were empty areas to get into.

Edit - typo
  • Options
    Prague addick really hates Britain. Good job he is in a country that welcomes Germans so much.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Prague addick really hates Britain. Good job he is in a country that welcomes Germans so much.

Edited