Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Arsenal v Cologne

Comments

• Options

If that was an English club or English national side the press would be having a field day - would be the shame of the nation. Oh wait that happened in summer last year!

twat percentage wise I reckon English clubs would have more dicks
  • Options
    The lengths the Gooners will go to avoid missing Eastenders.
  • Options
    hmmm 20,000 Germans arriving in London undetected.
  • Options
    Wow, "5 arrests for suspected public order offences". Hilarious the whole thing, both them turning up in such numbers, and the frothing at the mouth on here.

Warning. They've got Crvena Zvezda (Red Star Belgrade) in this group. That lot are seriously nasty. They smashed up the centre of Prague a few years ago, simply because they could, and when they returned a few weeks back the place went into lockdown. (But they had been here and done it, and won, so not much happened this time). They won't come in numbers, it's too far and they don't have the money Cologne fans have, but I am not talking about a few little Herberts. Their most "famous" fan is Arkan (thankfully long dead, look him up) and they haven't forgotten that the RAF dropped bombs on them ( I mean them, not some vague reference to WW2).

Hopefully plod know all that too.
  • Options

Wow, "5 arrests for suspected public order offences". Hilarious the whole thing, both them turning up in such numbers, and the frothing at the mouth on here.

Warning. They've got Crvena Zvezda (Red Star Belgrade) in this group. That lot are seriously nasty. They smashed up the centre of Prague a few years ago, simply because they could, and when they returned a few weeks back the place went into lockdown. (But they had been here and done it, and won, so not much happened this time). They won't come in numbers, it's too far and they don't have the money Cologne fans have, but I am not talking about a few little Herberts. Their most "famous" fan is Arkan (thankfully long dead, look him up) and they haven't forgotten that the RAF dropped bombs on them ( I mean them, not some vague reference to WW2).

You would think that after last night the authorities will be a bit hotter on the case of Red Star

I for one had no issue with the Koln fans, one becaused it embarrassed Arsenal yet again. They really are a laughing stock and I enjoy that

Two, they seemed (from reports) I've read quite well behaved and let's be honest, if that was 17,000 - 20,000 Charlton fans descending on a European city for a game, that would be a proper buzz to be part of

As it is we can't even get 17,000 for a home game :smiley:

Also, think of the amount of thermos flasks we'd need. We could have a sea of thermos
  • Options
    imagine if that were 20,000 Man U or Liverpool fans doing the same in an German ground.....the uproar and ban would subsequently follow

funny though cause it was Arsenal ;)
  • Options
    Frothing at the mouth because a few thousand away fans managed to get into home areas is quite valid I think. Even though it went off fairly quietly with a few scuffles I doubt that folks with their kids found it any less scary.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Frothing at the mouth because a few thousand away fans managed to get into home areas is quite valid I think. Even though it went off fairly quietly with a few scuffles I doubt that folks with their kids found it any less scary.

OK I take that point, but that wasn't what former Coveredender @Covered End ( :smile: ) was frothing about. The question I am still not seeing answered in the media is how many of them got in without tickets, and how the hell that happened, if it did. If so, I would have expected a lot more than "five public order arrests". If they nearly all purchased tickets, then its Arsenal who have some questions to answer.

• Options
    edited September 2017

1StevieG said:

OK I take that point, but that wasn't what former Coveredender @Covered End ( :smile: ) was frothing about. The question I am still not seeing answered in the media is how many of them got in without tickets, and how the hell that happened, if it did. If so, I would have expected a lot more than "five public order arrests". If they nearly all purchased tickets, then its Arsenal who have some questions to answer.

I look forward to your balanced view the next time we hit the headlines if only 5 arrests are made :wink:

Somehow I think your approach will be very different.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

1StevieG said:

I think the club have got a lot to answer for and will they ban so many people that sold tickets to away fans? Not sure how it works in the Europa cup games but in the league they have a system where you can give back your season ticket to the club to be resold for games You can't go to. On previous experience of going to the Emirates I would find it hard to believe fans got in without tickets as each turnstile is manned and you get searched before you go through the turnstile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

To me looking at some of the videos there was minimal agg for that many lads at an away ground and around town .
    Yes there was agg but 20k of fans there's bound to be dicks amongst em but even when there was trouble to me it looked like a few were policing themselves to calm it down .
    It didn't look like they were intent on trouble .
    They managed to walk down the road without smacking car windows and mirrors off , which is a hard task to do if you're a divvy footy fan.
    Where were the running clashes with police / rival fans and chairs being lobbed about that you usually se in town centres .
    Contradiction time . Lobbing those barriers was dangerous and ridiculous but it looked from what I saw there was mainly good spirited Germans having a laugh .
    Don't think any seasoned footy fan would have felt worried and I'm a proper wimp when it comes to aggro .

thing is arsenal fans are a bit precious. on the first page on this thread I think is the video of them kicking those barriers over that you mention. not nice but as you can see it was a couple of them and were soon told to calm down by other fans. nothing particular scary and something that happens quite regularly with fans. meanwhile the bloke whos filming it is having a fit, crying out "this is the worst I've ever seen it" I expect the next line would of been "oh the humanity" before he faints.
  • Options

If that was an English club or English national side the press would be having a field day - would be the shame of the nation. Oh wait that happened in summer last year!

When did this country develop such a persecution complex ?
  • Options

Also Red Star play in Europe every year, but last night was Cologne's first european game for 24 years. And given their other trips are to Borisov and Belgrade, it's no surprise they turned out in numbers for a game in London.
  • Options

1StevieG said:

I look forward to your balanced view the next time we hit the headlines if only 5 arrests are made :wink:

Are you a fan of balanced views?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

To me looking at some of the videos there was minimal agg for that many lads at an away ground and around town .
    Yes there was agg but 20k of fans there's bound to be dicks amongst em but even when there was trouble to me it looked like a few were policing themselves to calm it down .
    They managed to walk down the road without smacking car windows and mirrors off , which is a hard task to do if you're a divvy footy fan.
    Where were the running clashes with police / rival fans and chairs being lobbed about that you usually se in town centres .
    Contradiction time . Lobbing those barriers was dangerous and ridiculous but it looked from what I saw there was mainly good spirited Germans having a laugh .
    Don't think any seasoned footy fan would have felt worried and I'm a proper wimp when it comes to aggro .

thing is arsenal fans are a bit precious... meanwhile the bloke whos filming it is having a fit, crying out "this is the worst I've ever seen it" I expect the next line would of been "oh the humanity" before he faints.
    Sorry Tarquin, do you mind awfully if I finish my Prosciutto & Rocket Artisan Flatbread before complain about the ambience?...

Luxury.

We put up with 14 chips and welcome away fans in home areas....
  • Options
    I think, it's quite common for away fans to sit in with the home fans at German league games when the away allocation has sold out. I went to Hannover home to Hamburg there were about 5k Hamburgers (I'm going to assume that's what they're called) in the away end and I'd guess the same amount again sat in the home areas. Hannover away to Wolfsburg there is a small away end and there were thousands of Hannover fans sat in the Wolfsburg seats. They even appeared to be having a laugh and joke with each other and Hannover/Wolfsburg is meant to be a derby. Also Freiburg home to hoffenheim (although less away fans than the other examples). Before you ask they were wearing the wrong colour shirt / scarf / bobble hat so you can see who they're supporting.

Admittedly they didn't descend on the home 'end' and try to out megaphone each other, which may have not been tolerated in the same way.

Other German games I've been to the away allocation didn't sell out and it didn't warrant it.

There do seem to be some strange unwritten rules in watching German football - I've seen them take it in turns to sing songs back and forth to each other, like a call and response thing. They even give each other a round of applause for some damn fine joint singing at the end of the song. Would never happen here.

• Options
    1StevieG said:

JohnBoyUK said:

thing is arsenal fans are a bit precious... meanwhile the bloke whos filming it is having a fit, crying out "this is the worst I've ever seen it" I expect the next line would of been "oh the humanity" before he faints.
    Sorry Tarquin, do you mind awfully if I finish my Prosciutto & Rocket Artisan Flatbread before complain about the ambience?...

Luxury.

We put up with 14 chips and welcome away fans in home areas....
    What no picnic basket? Outrageous.

And where's his blanket and Werthers Originals?

• Options
    se9addick said:

not a persecution complex but I've been there when the England support as a collective have been labelled as hooligans that guzzle beer and fight.

the arsenal fans that sold there tickets to away fans should be banned/have st taken off of them.

was before my time but didn't english away fans get banned from away european fixtures for the behavior of some clubs?.

fuck me it will be world war 3 on here if someone says a rude word at gillingham on saturday, 5 arrests at last nights game out of 20,000 yet when the english were in France ( i know i use the example a lot but its recentish ) 20 something were arrested of about 60,000 + and there was outrage both on here and in the media.

last night saw stewards punched, and the bit the koln fans was jumping into was the arsenal section for the junior gunners.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1StevieG said:

Are you a fan of balanced views?
    Are you suggesting otherwise?
  • Options
    Gooners shit it they are new palace
  • Options

A friend who's been an Arsenal steward for about 13 years I think - said she's never seen anything like it since being there. Sounded quite hairy from some of her comments on her FB page.

"Only just escaped! They smashed through a door from away to home fans and we had to hold it back using table legs through the door handles!"

Reckons the dogs should have been let off to deal with them the way they were acting towards them.

• Options
    Arsenal selfie fan brigade were loving it videoing and taking pictures of the away fans, they much prefer to not watch the game as it is
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    and how to empty a stadium
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Since the Brexit vote, where we've all become little Englanders and the rest of the Europeans are sophisticated and mature nations whose hopes of federalism throughout the Continent can only bring a true Utopia for all.

• Options
    In the main it passed off peacefully, but imagine if 7000 Man U fans (say for an FA Cup game) turned up at The Valley, and thousands ending up in the Upper West and NW quadrant
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

clive said:

dickplumb said:

"They did throw bottles and let off flares, but there was no significant disorder, police were on scene and there have been no arrests."

Oh, so that's alright then. I expect lessons will be learned, Mr Hogan-Howe.

I believe Mr Hogan Howe has retired. A Lady is in charge.
    Cressida Dick.
    I thought that was a condition.
    It sounds like a womans device.