Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CHARLTON 2 SOUTHEND 1 - 9th September 2017

edited September 2017 in General Charlton

CHARLTON 2 (Magennis 65, Holmes 68) SOUTHEND 1 (White 78)

Attendance 12,229 (1,535 Southend)

Charlton Amos, Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Dasilva, Kashi, Forster-Caskey, Fosu (Konsa, 89), Clarke, Holmes (Dodoo, 85), Magennis.

Southend Oxley, Hendrie (Demetriou, 75), Ferdinand, Kightly, Timlin, Cox (Robinson, 75), McGlashan (McLaughlin, 61), Leonard, Bwomono, White, Ranger.

Summary

Happy Valley continues. An action-packed three-minute spell during the second half saw a firm Magennis header from a Solly cross, another piece of individual skill from Holmes, prove enough to secure victory against a resolute Southend side.

Post Match comments

Robinson: <“That goal is the perfect coach’s goal, we worked on it all week. “We knew Kightly played very narrow and we knew we’d get a two v one in that area. But the quality of the cross was there. Josh must be on cloud nine, a new contract, two international goals and almost in Russia for the World Cup, and three in three for us.”</i>

Pearce: ““I was pleased with my game today. I knew it was going to be a battle with Cox and Nile Ranger up there. I enjoy those sort of games. We’ve just got to keep on going. We’ve got a lot of lads in the changing room who have got promotion before and know what it takes. We’ve got to take each game as it comes and hopefully keep improving. It wasn’t an easy game, they were a tough team to play against and they’ve got some real good individual players. We done a lot of homework on them and they proved to be a tough team but luckily enough we got the three points. We said at half time that it wasn’t good enough in the first half. We knew our level had to go up in the second half to get the win. Everyone stepped up and we got the two goals. They got one near the end but we managed to hang on to a massive three points.”

STATBANK Player Marks

Pearce = 8.084
Holmes= 8.078
Clarke = 8.01
Magennis = 7.76
Solly = 7.74
Dasilva = 7.57
Bauer = 7.39
Kashi = 7.01
Forster-Caskey = 6.94
Fosu-Henry = 6.62
Amos = 6.55