Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Southend | Sat 09 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Southend United
Saturday 9th September … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Gavin Ward (Surrey)

Introduction

With five games played and victory in all but one it’s easy to get carried away with what could be for Charlton this term (especially if you include the end to last season). Yet we have to remember that we’re still only up to our second game in September, promotion cannot be won at this stage but it can certainly be lost… This Saturday sees the Addicks playing the first of two pivotal games in quick succession, two wins will send a strong message to our rivals, two defeats and a lot of catching up will be required later on down the line!!

The Opposition
Name: Southend United | Manager: Phil Brown
League Record: (P)-5 | (W)-1 | (D)-3 | (L)-1 | (GS)-6 | (GC)-10

When you look back at past seasons there are definitely moments which define where you finish in the League… Last season; Southend visited the Valley in pole position for the Play-Offs, yet a surprise defeat for the Shrimpers resulted in our opponents missing out on a late chance of promotion with our own rivals: Millwall taking advantage… Unfortunately we all know what happened next in that story last season!!

The good news with Southend visiting the Valley this Saturday is the fact they’ve not recorded three points against us since 1996 yet with Phil Brown in charge anything is possible, despite the slow start that Southend have had, they are a team with a Manager who knows how to bounce back from Play-Off disappointment. During Brown’s five year reign on the Essex coast, Southend have been involved in three campaigns which have ended either in our just outside of the Play-Off positions.

In terms of the Southend squad, they certainly have experience… Last term: Anton Ferdinand and Simon Cox joined on Free Transfers having had Premier League matches under their belt and this season has seen similar signings being made. Firstly Charlton fans needing no introduction to Michael Turner who joined from Norwich City whilst in Michael Kightly (signed from Burnley); Southend probably have one of the best wide men in the whole Division provided that he stays fit with injuries shadowing a career that could have been so much better.

Last League Fixture...

Charlton Team News
Ahead of our last fixture against Oldham the main concern was whether we’d find someone to operate in place of Josh Magennis who was on International Duty with Northern Ireland… With four goals scored that was thankfully confirmed and with two goals scored in the win over San Marino we get our Striker back not just injury free yet in form too…

That’ll mean that new signing: Joe Dodoo will no doubt start from the bench again yet with Karlan Ahearne-Grant having hamstring issues against Oldham you’d expect it to be a like for like replacement – The only other potential change in the squad (unless otherwise confirmed during todays Press Conference) is the likely returning Jay Dasilva who’ll slot back into Left-Back after his own break for International Duty!!

Amos
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Clarke | Fosu
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Sarr | Konsa | Aribo | Jackson | Dodoo | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
The worst part of going on this sort of run is knowing that it’ll eventually come to an end… With a tough match against Wigan on Tuesday its important we don’t suffer two defeats and whilst I think it’ll be difficult to record two wins I’d rather drop two points against Southend and wouldn’t be surprised to see Saturdays match ending in a draw!!

Comments

• Options
    3-1 to the Addicks, Magennis, Holmes and Fosu on the score sheet.
  • Options
    I reckon we will win...just. 2-1 to the Addicks
  • Options
    Another good win 3-1
  • Options
    Two tough games in 4 days will say a lot about how our season will go. 6 points, and the rest of the division will see us as the team to beat this season. 1 point and the grumblings will come back...

• Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Will be attending with my grandfather who's die hard Southend, think it will be close whoever scores first jobby. Either way should be a good day.
  • Options
    Didn't realise they had Kightly. Very good player - best wideman in the Championship just a couple of seasons ago so a lot will depend on how we handle him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They will be playing 4-4-2 so it should be intresting, but I think Brown may go with 5 in midfield for this one. They have had quite a few injuries and not a big squad and their fans have no idea who will be starting. Their defence has not been great so I expect us to score.

Will Solly be able to play both games and should he be rested for Tuesday? I think this is the best chance for 3 points so would play him Saturday and see how he gets on.Would have Dyksteel on the bench in case we can rest him a bit.

They will have about 1500 supporters I would guess so we could do with a good turn out ourselves.

I think we will win this one.
  • Options
    Charlton 0-7 Sarfend
  • Options
    3 - 1 to the mighty Addicks, goals from Magennis, Holmes & Bauer.
  • Options
    Fortune has the physical ability to cause all sorts of problems & Cox can score a goal or 2! I think DaSilva can handle Kightly but it wont be easy! Do think we can win this one though.

2-0 Charlton Magennis, Holmes!
  • Options
    Charlton look in a good place at the moment.
    3-0 Charlton
  • Options

Fortune has the physical ability to cause all sorts of problems & Cox can score a goal or 2! I think DaSilva can handle Kightly but it wont be easy! Do think we can win this one though.

2-0 Charlton Magennis, Holmes!

Plus they've got Nile Ranger to come off the bench (Didnt want to mention him in the preview as I'd already gone for the "ex-Premier League list of players" approach) - Despite his attitude he's a Striker who shouldnt be at this level
  • Options
    They will keep it very tight and hope to nick it from a set piece or breakaway. I'm going for our first frustrating draw. 1 - 1
  • Options
    This is a game where good home vocal support could galvanise the team to step it up a notch. By that not being reckless and hell for leather, but with an air of ruthlessness. As a support I hope we can be sophisticated enough to realise (other sporting analogy) that after hitting a 4 or a 6 it is OK to block the next ball with a forward defensive rather than 6 and out.
    I wish Michael Turner well, am concerned that Cox very often gets a decent dustbin goal, and Kightly is their version of Holmes and Fosu, and their general nous might undo our youthful exuberance.
    Saturday is a day where we, the fans, could help if we're in the mood.
  • Options
    I reckon a win. I think they will make us squirm though and let in 1 goal... So, 2-1 to the Addicks!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think this one could be a banana skin:

- Determined and experienced lower league manager (Phil Brown)
    - Solid central defence (Ferdinand and Turner)
    - Stopper to break up play in midfield (Kightly)
    - Experienced and proven strikers (Fortune, Cox, Robinson)

And Nile Ranger......

If we win this then it will look as if we're a decent side.
  • Options
    Hoping to bring son for his first game of the season.
    It'll be my first time in the East Stand. Really looking forwards to that.

2-1
    Fosu-Henry
    Forster-Caskey
  • Options
    I think Southend will Nick this 1-0 to them.
  • Options
    No Reeves on the bench @ForeverAddickted ?

CAFC 3 v Southend United 0
  • Options
    Everything about tomorrow's game points to a comfortable win by at least 2 goals but this is Charlton so who knows ?

I'm going for a 4-1 win
  • Options
    Think the interesting question here will be around how Robinson handles Kashi and Solly, neither of whom have played Saturday-Tuesday this year.

I think both should be expected to play two of our next three (the last being a week Saturday at Gillingham). I could see him resting at least Solly on Saturday, and bringing Dijksteel into the team. How Dijksteel would handle Kightly I don't know, but that would hopefully mean Solly could play Tuesday-Saturday.

What happens with Kashi is another story. He's looked very fit to this point (I've just knocked on every piece of wood in my house), but is he three games in a week fit? With him, I think I'd rather we try and play him Saturday-Tuesday, then rest him for Gillingham if need be. Not sure if that's possible, but I think his ability to break up play and pressure the ball in the defensive third plus his excellent composure on the ball will be most needed against Southend and Wigan. Gillingham haven't scored many but they've only conceded 7, so I suspect they'll sit deep and try to frustrated us, and that's a game where a midfield of JFC and Aribo might be adequate.

My thoughts, for what they're worth:
    Amos
    Dijksteel....Bauer.....Pearce....DaSilva
    .........F-Caskey.....Kashi
    Fosu..........Clarke........Holmes
    ...............Magennis

Bench: Phillips, Konsa, Solly, Jackson, Aribo, Reeves, Dodoo
  • Options
    Home win with a bit of breathing space, 3-1 .
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Think the interesting question here will be around how Robinson handles Kashi and Solly, neither of whom have played Saturday-Tuesday this year.

I think both should be expected to play two of our next three (the last being a week Saturday at Gillingham). I could see him resting at least Solly on Saturday, and bringing Dijksteel into the team. How Dijksteel would handle Kightly I don't know, but that would hopefully mean Solly could play Tuesday-Saturday.

What happens with Kashi is another story. He's looked very fit to this point (I've just knocked on every piece of wood in my house), but is he three games in a week fit? With him, I think I'd rather we try and play him Saturday-Tuesday, then rest him for Gillingham if need be. Not sure if that's possible, but I think his ability to break up play and pressure the ball in the defensive third plus his excellent composure on the ball will be most needed against Southend and Wigan. Gillingham haven't scored many but they've only conceded 7, so I suspect they'll sit deep and try to frustrated us, and that's a game where a midfield of JFC and Aribo might be adequate.

My thoughts, for what they're worth:
    Amos
    Dijksteel....Bauer.....Pearce....DaSilva
    .........F-Caskey.....Kashi
    Fosu..........Clarke........Holmes
    ...............Magennis

Bench: Phillips, Konsa, Solly, Jackson, Aribo, Reeves, Dodoo

Thought provoking post actually.
    I agree it is a bit of a dilemma, I don't know the strength of any Wigan wide player, but for a team re assembling after last week continuity suggests you keep your captain in place, but Dijksteel is a decent replacement.
    Kashi is a mystery situation, but I wouldn't like to take risks with him over these next three matches, maybe Aribo, or more likely Konsa can cover for him.
  • Options
    Midfield battle will be interesting, Ryan Leonard is a good player.

I'm going 3-1 Charlton
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!