Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Wigan: Post match views

Comments

• Options
    F@ck me the better team won get over it
  • Options

Jesus we have lost one game at home to the favourites to win the league, still third in the league and the site has gone into meltdown.

Was thinking exactly the same. We just didn't click tonight, kept trying to play football but it just didn't happen tonight and they did a number on us
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Tiredness ? After 7 league games ?

Fitness regimes can be about "peaking" at different times in the season. Robinson may be working the players harder now with the idea that it will pay off in the long term when we're fitter come Christmas-time.
    Nope, sorry but that's utter bollocks. Match fitness levels should be getting better after about 6 games. Tiredness for players at this level shouldn't be a problem after 7 matches.
  • Options
    Kin ell... that was a battering from start to finish

I didn't think the boys lacked in effort, they just got played off the park

Wonder how different things could have been if Forster Caskey's long ranger had gone in rather than clattering woodwork
  • Options

Gobinson, the Fat Scouser ( there you go SDAddick) has no plan B let alone C or D. If things are not going right then you have to change it. This will be his downfall in the long run.

Proof they haven't gone away,just hiding in the shadows. They were chanting Robinsons name on Saturday, maybe you weren't there ?
  • Options
    PWR

One 3-0 defeat doesnt end the season just as a 2-1 win over Southend doesnt confirm promotion... As I said on the poll this one defeat shouldnt confirm that we're a bad side and that we'll need to get to October before we can determine where we are in the League.

We've probably had one of the harder starts than most with Wigan / Southend / Bristol Rovers all predicted to be up there by the experts before a ball was kicked.

We need to put this result in perspective, I doubt we'd have gone a season undefeated at the Valley let alone just one defeat to Plymouth and would prefer to see us lose to Wigan than any other side in what is a Division full of poor teams, when we won promotion under Powell our defeats against Stevenage / Colchester / Notts County all wielded worse performances so not going to start panicking.

Just hope that Kashi was taken off to ensure he didnt get a needless injury rather than picking up an actual knock
  • Options

Jesus we have lost one game at home to the favourites to win the league, still third in the league and the site has gone into meltdown.

Do you expect anything less.

Came away from the Valley hearing one fan saying to another that normal service had resumed... Seriously I wouldnt even think that if we lose to Bury!!
  • Options

Was thinking exactly the same. We just didn't click tonight, kept trying to play football but it just didn't happen tonight and they did a number on us
    its all very well saying these things, but it was such an appalling performance after winning 5 out of 6 games - it was a totally cringeworthy display where we were third best , not just second best in every aspect of the game. The only shot (and not even necessarily a shot on target) came in the 88th minute from a 40 yard bobbler that the goalie could have controlled with his boot and had a keepy uppy on the goaline with.
    You cant mask it over- if we have too many displays like this in the season then bye bye promotion and bye bye playoffs.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Personally, I think our plan A may have been okay had we actually tried harder

Overall I'm pleased so with the start this season, but I'm fuming tonight. I hope there's a recognition from KR that that simply wasn't good enough and we didn't try hard enough

What we probably tried doing was a Mourinho style version of keep ball to try and slow the tempo and knock Wigan off their stride.

Probably didnt help the fact that Wigan were off the back of a defeat to Shrewsbury so needed to up their game with a few of their players needing to prove their place to Paul Cook
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Tired old team tonight.

They're just not used to having to play midweek.

Is that a serious comment?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

its all very well saying these things, but it was such an appalling performance after winning 5 out of 6 games - it was a totally cringeworthy display where we were third best , not just second best in every aspect of the game. The only shot (and not even necessarily a shot on target) came in the 88th minute from a 40 yard bobbler that the goalie could have controlled with his boot and had a keepy uppy on the goaline with.
    You cant mask it over- if we have too many displays like this in the season then bye bye promotion and bye bye playoffs.
    Did you say your not going Saturday
  • Options
    On the way home after first game of the season. Decidedly second-best to a very good sign who I expect will win the league (backed them ante-post so some small consolation).

They could have scored in the opening 30 seconds and were a lot sharper than us. We had a few flashes of quality midway through the first-half culminating in hitting the bar and very unlucky the rebound had Magennis stretching.

They looked like they might score before half-time and sure enough did with Holmes in particular losing concentration after some off-the-bell hair pulling from their player.

Second-half we all hoped for some improvement attacking the Covered End but it never came and they fully deserved to score a couple more goals and could have had more.

Bad night at the office but it's been a good start to the season.

KR needs to have a think about what he can do to freshen things up for Saturday but the odd defeat isn't a problem if you keep winning rather drawing games where you play well.
  • Options

Badgered by my boys to go so begrudgingly went along to my first game for a long time.

Open minded about what to expect and looking forward to seeing some exciting play.

Unfortunately this was a clear case of a manager being totally outdone by his opposite number. Quite simply stop Holmes and you stop us playing.

Wigan had a clear game plan that at times bordered on rule breaking but they did their job to a man.

Their strikers played high and put pressure on our centre backs to play long. They then mopped up the second ball and attacked with pace down the flanks often overloading our full backs. Their first two goals came from this.

With our bench we cannot bring on a game changer just inexperienced youngsters and with all due respect neither Ahearne-Grant or Dodoo are going to frighten Alex Bruce or Dan Burn.

Maybe I saw us in an off day but I think it's more likely that other teams will see how Wigan stopped us playing and adopt the same tactics.

Over to you, Karl.

To be fair, it's more a case of Wigan mimicking Southend's tactics from the weekend, just with better quality players. We were calmer and more patient at the weekend, and kept a better defensive shape. As a result, once Southend started to tire we were able to find gaps in their defense. Wigan did have a moment like that tonight around the 65th minute, but as we looked to push forward they countered with a goal and completely knocked whatever little wind we had in our sails.
  • Options
    My first match of the season, felt like I've never been away, they pressed us from the start looked a lot more up for it than us, thought Kashi and Clarke in particular were too casual/wasteful, shame about the shot that hit underside of crossbar, but they could/should have been well up by h/t, 2nd goal killed it off, hopefully get a win at Gillingham and it will still be a good start.
  • Options
    As soon as we play a half decent side it shows how mediocre we are. That was just plain embarassing.

To be so comprehensively outplayed in L1 shows how far we are away from the Championship.

Amos at least helped keep the scoreline respectable.

• Options

Gobinson, the Fat Scouser ( there you go SDAddick) has no plan B let alone C or D. If things are not going right then you have to change it. This will be his downfall in the long run.

Steady on with the insults Large FFS.
    You're sounding like the madman from South Wales!
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Did you say your not going Saturday
    Its a bit tough for me as i now live and work in Luxembourg ( i went last season). But no doubt once i've calmed down i'll get onto the Gills IFollow and watch it online.They cant be as bad as they were tonight.
  • Options
    The dream is on hold for now. Maybe we can be a playoff contender, but an auto promo side doesn't end a run of wins with a 3-0 defeat to a promotion rival.
    Disappointed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Piss poor performance, totally out fought on the pitch and out thought of it.

It showed how physically weak we are, it's not all about pretty sideways passing.

Having said all that what a bloody horrible team Wigan are and what a useless ref that was completely conned by the northern monkeys antics.

Also add that dasilver was very very poor tonight.
  • Options
    Plan B was execute Plan A.

Didn't match Wigan for tempo, didn't show for each other enough which led to loose passes, Ricky overplaying to compensate. Caught in possession all the time so mostly playing on the back foot.
    Bad day at the office plus a reality check.
  • Options

You must have missed the shot from Forster Caskey that smashed the bar then.
    I did , whilst farting around with the wonderful nuances of IFollow.
  • Options
    Hopefully this will show the players and Robinson they ain't as good as they think they are. Kick up the backside and move on.
    We desperately need reeves and Marshall back with a fully fit team. there is nothing on the bench that looks like they can change the game when we're losing. Suppose that what you get from such a thin squad yet again. Least they have learnt their lessons and all that.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    masicat said:

Whingers back posting. End of the world is nigh bla bla bla. We were outclassed by a much better team. Conceding 3 goals at Oldham was the alarm bell. Team has to be a work in progress. We were beaten by the champions tonight.

Strange comments masicat......don't see too many whingers as you put it, more disappointers I'd say.
    I don't think many of us saw that coming........I know I didn't.
  • Options
    We were shit, Wigan were pathetic rolling around don't usually side with karl but the ref quite clearly had a bit on Wigan.