Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karl Robinson in tonight's Evening Standard.

Comments

• edited August 2017
    Fumbluff said:

I'm not going to click it, you can't polish a turd

You can, but it's still a turd.
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

It's all just more bullshit really.

What in the interview did you think was bullshit ?
    The belief in the ownership. The fact he's met the owner only twice. The recent history he ignores.
    Nope, you've lost me.
    You asked what he thought was bullshit, he told you. Assuming he's referenced the interview, what's so hard to understand.

Of course, if he's not referencing the interview...
  • I enjoy Robinson's energy and why it may seem to be a lot of bravado at times,I'd rather have that than total negativity. I still don't like the regime, but I'm completely behind Robinson and the team, and with my Rose coloured specs on I'm feeling decidedly positive for the season. As they say over here "viva Karl, viva Charlton"

Mexico? Chile? Cuba? You can just drop teasers like that in your posts and then leave us hanging. We need to know what exotic climes you inhabit.
    Vauxhall.
  • edited August 2017
    Personally I find Robinson hammy and a bit fake and I don't really warm to him myself, BUT I do get the feeling the acquisition of Bowyer on the coaching staff may make a significant difference to our performances on the pitch. And if KR and his staff start getting it right there, then that will make a wedge of negativity subside, at least towards them. KR may well have to walk a fine tricky line between the owner and the fans, but that perfectly serves to illustrate how poorly the club has been run.
    I think Charlton may well do better this season on the playing side and great if that happens. But the main problems still remain.
    ( tbf reading the NS report, think KR's comments re fans staying away sound reasonable to me.)
  • Scoham said:

Oh, and 'I've only spoken to the owner twice all summer'. You know why Karl? Because he don't give a shit about us.

You don't buy a dog and bark yourself. KR's way is possibly a lot cheaper and looking more and more likely to be more successful on the pitch. In those circumstances, as the investor you keep your own input in check and you let them get on with it. He has KM on site to give him updates anyway.

Isn't that exactly what Roland did when he bought the club?...
    Did he ? Did it work out well ?
  • I'm not sure that there is anything Robinson and perhaps even the club can do to win back some fans. The endless negativity and bitter comments are draining. It's really a shame that some people have become almost anti supporters.

I want Duchatelet out as much as anyone but I'm not going to find fault and bile in everything that happens.

I know I fit your post and yes I am bitter and yes it is draining but the club can win me back. Quite easily actually, all the club has to do is put right what has been ruined. I doubt though, the owner who is not a Charlton supporter is willing, able or has the skill to do so.
    But if this is to happen it won't happen overnight it will be a long hard road back but Robinson at least seems to get it and is trying his best to take the team forward and hopefully in turn the club
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

It's not bullshit - he's trying to raise the club from the doldrums. He's changed a lot of things. The players are definitely fired up and seem more like the players from the title winning year. Players who want to be here are what I want to see and it's time to move on and support the team. we all want the best for Charlton regardless of the owners so let's go forwards rather than just keep rolling out the same boring and negati

And why are we in the doldrums?

So we can

a) get behind the team and try to play our part in improving things

b) continue to snipe and dig at the club and any fans who dare to show positivity

c) support someone else

I know which one I'll be doing

d) still no answer to the question.
  • And just as annoying as the negative on all that is Charlton is the positive on any old shit that is Charlton .

We are 3rd tier , scum are 2nd tier , palace are 1st tier
    Wake up smell the coffee , these are disastrous footballing times in our history no matter how it's dressed up !

We are back at the level we were when I started going to the Valley in 1973 when the Valley was a poorly maintained ground and the crowds were small. My Grandparents lived a mile or so from the Valley the other side of Charlton park and they would tell me how their road would be full of parked cars in the years earlier and it was sad to see the team in Division 3 with crowds of 5-8,000. Then 25 years later were in the premier league crowds were 27,000 and guess what people were once again parking outside my grandparents house, sadly they were not alive to see it.
    Football is a journey a rollercoaster ride and supporting Charlton is certainly that.
  • Sponsored links:

• He can talk the talk, yet to be convinced he can walk the walk. His insistance on 4-5-1 will be his downfall. With the squad assembled he should be sacked if he fails to make top six, maybe even top two.

Oh, and 'I've only spoken to the owner twice all summer'. You know why Karl? Because he don't give a shit about us.

I agree he has to walk the walk I just think he isn't being given a fair crack at the start, he should be enjoying the fans full support despite the owners. When Chris Powell took over he didn't exactly have the best of times for the remaining season but he spoke well, bought well, was full of enthusiasm during the close season he got the players and fans together and yes he then walked the walk.
    Judge Robinson 10 games in but for now we should be giving him our full support. I know I will be on Saturday
  • And just as annoying as the negative on all that is Charlton is the positive on any old shit that is Charlton .

Wake up smell the coffee , these are disastrous footballing times in our history no matter how it's dressed up !

We are back at the level we were when I started going to the Valley in 1973 when the Valley was a poorly maintained ground and the crowds were small. My Grandparents lived a mile or so from the Valley the other side of Charlton park and they would tell me how their road would be full of parked cars in the years earlier and it was sad to see the team in Division 3 with crowds of 5-8,000. Then 25 years later were in the premier league crowds were 27,000 and guess what people were once again parking outside my grandparents house, sadly they were not alive to see it.
    Football is a journey a rollercoaster ride and supporting Charlton is certainly that.
    Sadly the rollercoaster is at the bottom of the track full of water, it has stopped, and we are slowly drowning.
  • edited August 2017
    "...Roland’s message to me when I spoke to him was ‘just be honest with people, be yourself.'"

Just as Roland is open and honest with fans about his intentions for the kloob.

I like Robinson's approach to football and they way he wants to play. It didn't work last season because we pressed too high for the players we have, i.e. to slow to react to counter attacks, see Rochdale and Shrewsbury away, but I think with Dasilva back and hopefully Pearce fit and Konsa staying, we should be better equipped.

I'm not sure if he's as naive as we think he is. He seems to have realised very quickly that he needs to get Katrien onside which may help him. Not sure Naby Sarr will be happy with that though.
  • edited August 2017

And just as annoying as the negative on all that is Charlton is the positive on any old shit that is Charlton .

Sadly the rollercoaster is at the bottom of the track full of water, it has stopped, and we are slowly drowning.
  • Swisdom said:

It's not bullshit - he's trying to raise the club from the doldrums. He's changed a lot of things. The players are definitely fired up and seem more like the players from the title winning year. Players who want to be here are what I want to see and it's time to move on and support the team. we all want the best for Charlton regardless of the owners so let's go forwards rather than just keep rolling out the same boring and negati

I never understand this 'move on and support the team' mantra. Everyone I know who, like me, has been vociferous in their condemnation of the régime has always supported the team to the fullest.
    Yes and everyone knows that. But apologists will never admit it as they won't have any arguments against the protesters or anything to make them feel good about themselves.
  • edited August 2017

I enjoy Robinson's energy and why it may seem to be a lot of bravado at times,I'd rather have that than total negativity. I still don't like the regime, but I'm completely behind Robinson and the team, and with my Rose coloured specs on I'm feeling decidedly positive for the season. As they say over here "viva Karl, viva Charlton"

Mexico? Chile? Cuba? You can just drop teasers like that in your posts and then leave us hanging. We need to know what exotic climes you inhabit.
    "Addick Addict" not quite Latin America exotic or Vauxhall (thanks Clive) South Africa, the unions used Viva for years normally with a clenched Wolfie Smith fist.
  • Sponsored links:

• he won't get anywhere near his valuation while we are in League 1 so if they want to force things forward then supporting us into a promotion - or even a promotion chasing team by January - will certainly do us no harm
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

I never understand this 'move on and support the team' mantra. Everyone I know who, like me, has been vociferous in their condemnation of the régime has always supported the team to the fullest.

So it's "Apologists" that are calling the players every name under the sun to the point they don't want to play for us?

Is it Apologists that follow and abuse players on Facebook and Twitter and when they are blocked regard it as a badge of honour

Is it Apologists that hurl objects onto the pitch to disrupt the games?

Is it apologists that systematically victimise Chris and Sue? So what if Sue says something that pissed someone off once - how would you react if you had 2000 people slagging you off every day.

Everyone knows the club has gone backwards - we all see it. We all know it's been a crap journey for a few years. But the protests haven't convinced Roland to sell and neither will they in the immediate future. I've said this many times now but regardless of the ownership I am a Charlton fan. Always have been and always will be. We have a new season ahead and some slivers of positivity on the pitch so why not just support the team and drop all the petty name calling and squabbling amongst fans. Who knows - we might just start to enjoy ourselves once again.

The first 2 things on your list happen at all clubs. They are nothing to do with whether someone is a protester or regime sympathiser.
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

So it's "Apologists" that are calling the players every name under the sun to the point they don't want to play for us?

Is it Apologists that follow and abuse players on Facebook and Twitter and when they are blocked regard it as a badge of honour

Is it apologists that systematically victimise Chris and Sue? So what if Sue says something that pissed someone off once - how would you react if you had 2000 people slagging you off every day.

Everyone knows the club has gone backwards - we all see it. We all know it's been a crap journey for a few years. But the protests haven't convinced Roland to sell and neither will they in the immediate future. I've said this many times now but regardless of the ownership I am a Charlton fan. Always have been and always will be. We have a new season ahead and some slivers of positivity on the pitch so why not just support the team and drop all the petty name calling and squabbling amongst fans. Who knows - we might just start to enjoy ourselves once again.

The first 2 things on your list happen at all clubs. They are nothing to do with whether someone is a protester or regime sympathiser.
    Spot on. I've heard people at games that are completely against protests but regularly moan and criticise players.
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

I think Susan has upset people more than once.
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

The belief in the ownership. The fact he's met the owner only twice. The recent history he ignores.
    Gobbinson isn't even sure if he's spoken to him once or twice over the summer WTF! Either FSG has alzheimers, was shitfaced or is Making It All Up. (option 2 worth an each way bet tho)
    The squad is still thin, especially at the back: 1 goalie, 3 fit centre halves and no experienced cover for either full back. Just cos this squad isn't as obviously inadequate as this time last season, doesn't mean it's actually up to scratch. Fings may not be quite as bad as 12 months back but that is a terribly low point from which to start. No amount of semi coherent cheery babble from this month's manager is gonna make this ordure smell like roses.
  • @oohaahmortimer

Not forgetting some of the actions by the Pilsbury Doughboy.

I'm getting the hang of this quoting lark @Tom in se9 ;)
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

Gobbinson isn't even sure if he's spoken to him once or twice over the summer WTF! Either FSG has alzheimers, was shitfaced or is Making It All Up. (option 2 worth an each way bet tho)
    The squad is still thin, especially at the back: 1 goalie, 3 fit centre halves and no experienced cover for either full back. Just cos this squad isn't as obviously inadequate as this time last season, doesn't mean it's actually up to scratch. Fings may not be quite as bad as 12 months back but that is a terribly low point from which to start. No amount of semi coherent cheery babble from this month's manager is gonna make this ordure smell like roses.
    2 keepers, 4 fit centre backs and Lennon due back, the only place we currently look short is left back, as I don't think many teams in League 1 has experienced players as back up in every position, and between Barnes, Dijksteel and Charles-Cook we have enough cover on the right.

But you keep banging that drum, Thimblecock
  • sam3110 said:

iainment said:

iainment said:

2 keepers, 4 fit centre backs and Lennon due back, the only place we currently look short is left back, as I don't think many teams in League 1 has experienced players as back up in every position, and between Barnes, Dijksteel and Charles-Cook we have enough cover on the right.

But you keep banging that drum, Thimblecock
    Correct and to be fair we do have 2 left backs unfortunately Lewis Page is out long term, not many clubs in the third division will have 3 senior left backs