Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wimbledon 2017

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Am sure she will come back stronger.

Not as if she chucked it away or choked - Venus was the better player on the day.

Men shouldn't be allowed to play women's tennis!
  • Options
    Come on Heather Watson and Chris Packham!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    She'll be a year more British next year too. Quite like Konta to be fair. Grunts less than the rest. Tournament is all a bit of an anti climax now. Federrer winning will be a nice touch but gloss taken off by the rest of the big fourball being knackered.
  • Options
    Watson and Packham won
  • Options

She'll be a year more British next year too. Quite like Konta tonne fair. Grunts less than the rest. Tournament is all a bit of an anti climax now. Federrer winning will be a nice touch but gloss taken off by the rest of the big fourball being knackered.

The semis would have been amazing with the big 4 there and fit

Nadal vs Murray on grass, Djokovic vs Federer

Sadly not to be
  • Options
    I hadn't realised that Virginia Wade (while of British stock) actually lived in South Africa between the age of 1 and 14, so even our best women's player got much of her tennis development abroad!
  • Options
    Dear old Barry Davies commentating on the Mixed Doubles on the Red Button.

He must be pushing 80 now.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

And still a pompous twat.
  • Options
    Davies was by far the best sports commentator. Could handle any sport.

Am sure there has been a thread on commentators
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I always loved his slight sense of disapproval when somebody make a silly mistake
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

The World Staring Championship isn't the same without him.
  • Options
    Football
    Netball
    hockey
    Ice hockey
    Tennis
    Ice Skating
    Olympics
    Winter Olympics

He could do them all.
  • Options
    Had a good day at Centre Court, even if the first semi-final was a walkover and the second a little disappointing. Konta hit plenty of aces (as well as some double faults) and made some very good groundstrokes, although Venus had the edge in quality on the day and made her experience tell. Whenever she lost a potentially big point on her serve, she almost invariably slowed things down on the next point, often by repeating her ball toss.

Konta should continue to improve and has now made the top 5, which is no mean achievement. Really enjoyed the two mixed doubles games that followed, with Jamie Murray/Martina Hingis and Heather Watson/Henri Kontinen making it through to the semis.

Before play started, a friend of mine took us on a tour of the media centre and its incredibly impressive facilities. There are teams of people knocking out press packs and match statistics - the sort of stuff that, in football terms, John Motson used to spend vast amounts of time pulling together before his commentaries. The place really is a statto's wet dream.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Brendan Fraser and Stuart Storey (the latter used to be my Nan's boss) were both excellent at the Olympics / Athletics
  • Options
    First set Querrey. Cilic is a pain in the arse with all this ball bouncing.
  • Options
    One set all 7-6, 4-6
  • Options
    It is games like this that make me seriously consider the future of tennis on grass!
  • Options
    Think I may actually hate John Inverdale.
  • Options
    Cilic wins 6-7 6-4 7-6 7-5
  • Options
    Talal said:

Think I may actually hate John Inverdale.

This.

I wonder what Mcenroe thinks when Co commentating with him. Probably the same as us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't quite put my finger on why, but to me Querry looks like he was drawn by Dr Seuss
  • Options
    Fed too sets up. Going to win the tournament without dropping a set. Miles ahead of everyone atm. The greatest ever. Total respect .
  • Options
    A month shy of his 36th birthday and Federer is into the final
  • Options
    I can see Cilic being competitive on Sunday, but can't see him winning
  • Options
    His 11th Wimbledon final in 15 years, that's a ridiculous record.
  • Options
    golden oldie time .. Venus and Roger .. combined ages ? .. 72
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Good commentator. Doesn't rabbit on too much, or go into prediction mode. He lets you watch the game. That's a disappearing skill with tennis commentators.

Watching Watson & Kontinen in the semi final. Good match.
  • Options
    vff said:

LenGlover said:

Good commentator. Doesn't rabbit on too much, or go into prediction mode. He lets you watch the game. That's a disappearing skill with tennis commentators.

Watching Watson & Kontinen in the semi final. Good match.
    Amen. Are you reading this Inverdale?!
  • Options
    Roof closed for the final. It's gonna be loud!
  • Options

Leuth said:

Querrey is likeliest IMO

Feds is favourite by miles. Most talented, in the best form and probably even in his mid thirties the fittest and best conditioned.

Cillic would be second favourite though because he has won a slam before and experience does count in major finals.
    Leuth said:

Well, let's see...

Bit late with the gloat here, but I don't get to be right very often, so please forgive me, but...