Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thunder lightning & heavy rain

Comments

• Options
    Here in romford At about 115 there was the loudest thunderclap I have ever heard. It also went on for about 15 seconds. The dog went loopy and she doesn’t usually mind storms or fireworks etc.
  • Options
    The mickey mousers have taken it as the big man showing support!
  • Options
    What a surreal experience that was last night. Had to pop out to pick someone up last night in New Eltham as the cab had let him down. I was surrounded by 360 degree lighting but very little rain. As I was going down Footscray Road from Sidcup, the rain became torrential as I neared the Beehive. Turned around and headed back to Sidcup the rain just cleared as quickly as it started. I reckon I was in the eye of the storm at that time.
  • Options
    Quite a light show down by The Downs in East Sussex.
  • Options
    Could have picked me up from Ruchi @_MrDick :-)
  • Options
    Stanstead airport fuel tank struck by lightening. Chaos here.
  • Options

Returning from holiday today and due to land at 8:30.
    Anyone know what’s Greek for Imodium?

Seriously ffs.
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-44270666
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Could have picked me up from Ruchi @_MrDick :-)

And I drove right past your house on the way back ...
  • Options
    Sitting in the car parked in the grounds of a chateau, waiting for my Mrs to finish work and there is definitely a thunderstorm brewing. Hopefully get some impressive snaps....
  • Options

Sitting in the car parked in the grounds of a chateau, waiting for my Mrs to finish work and there is definitely a thunderstorm brewing. Hopefully get some impressive snaps....

Enough of your dogging activities.
  • Options
    clive said:

My son was asleep on the plane. Woke up on landing expecting Stanstead, got Luton, looked out the window and thought he had got on the wrong plane. Sat on plane at Luton for 90 mins before being allow to get off. Shambles.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

At home in Petts Wood just after the CL final. Had the camera set up on 15sec exposures over a couple of hours to get that shot.

Sadly learned this morning that someone got struck by lightning 2 roads away from us last night...

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/police-shut-road-orpington-after-1612965

Shame you couldn't get Morrisons in !
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Travelling over France from a holiday to Bulgaria last year, our plane flew parallel to a thunderstorm. I found it fascinating watching it so closely from above!
  • Options
    In Bergerac, last year when a thunder & lightning storm blew up. Heavy downfall of rain and we took shelter in an covered open air restaurant in the middle of town right next to the church and ordered lunch. Counting the seconds from the lightning to the thunder, the storm was getting closer, when one was almost simultaneous as lightning hit the church, you could feel the pressure wave on you chest as the electric when off in the area.
  • Options

Got caught in it yesterday evening, walking the dog. Result both of us soaked, taking shelter under the trees in Bostall woods.

Probably the worst place to shelter in an electrical storm. A surprisingly high number of people get killed in electrical storms. Get in your car is the safest option, getting rid of any metal on you is essential, including mobile phone. Need to get away from those trees as well!

If it is right above you, get near a wall or a hollow and stay as small as possible.

Stop fishing or playing golf. Having a stick - especially a metal one is not the best thing to be doing. If you can hear the thunder and see the lightning you are probably in danger. Lightning can travel up to ten miles! Lightning and thunder happen at basically the same time - but as light travels faster you will see that first. If you count the seconds between lightning and thunder and divide by 5, that is how many miles away it is.

You are in clear and immediate danger and should take immediate action to protect yourself.

You won’t do it though. Too embarrassing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

clive said:

My son was asleep on the plane. Woke up on landing expecting Stanstead, got Luton, looked out the window and thought he had got on the wrong plane. Sat on plane at Luton for 90 mins before being allow to get off. Shambles.
    'Kin 'ell - I bet he thought he'd landed in Beirut!
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

clive said:

'Kin 'ell - I bet he thought he'd landed in Beirut!
    Well it was a Ryanair flight, it could have been anywhere,
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Got caught in it yesterday evening, walking the dog. Result both of us soaked, taking shelter under the trees in Bostall woods.

Probably the worst place to shelter in an electrical storm. A surprisingly high number of people get killed in electrical storms. Get in your car is the safest option, getting rid of any metal on you is essential, including mobile phone. Need to get away from those trees as well!

If it is right above you, get near a wall or a hollow and stay as small as possible.

Stop fishing or playing golf. Having a stick - especially a metal one is not the best thing to be doing. If you can hear the thunder and see the lightning you are probably in danger. Lightning can travel up to ten miles! Lightning and thunder happen at basically the same time - but as light travels faster you will see that first. If you count the seconds between lightning and thunder and divide by 5, that is how many miles away it is.

You are in clear and immediate danger and should take immediate action to protect yourself.

I'm sure this is all excellent advice. But if you're supposed to get rid of anything metal etc (obvs), why is it a good idea to get in a metal car ?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Redrobo said:

I'm sure this is all excellent advice. But if you're supposed to get rid of anything metal etc (obvs), why is it a good idea to get in a metal car ?
    The car forms a "Faraday Cage" round you. If struck by lightning the charge flows round the outside of the car to earth leaving you safe inside.
    Unless you have a very large phone, you can't climb inside it!! You are on the outside, where the charge will flow.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNxDgd3D_bU is a humorous explanation
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Because the electric will travel through the metal and earth into the ground meaning you are sitting in a protective faraday box. The fact that it is metal is what protects. If you are touching or wearing metal it will travel through that and therefore through you. If you do survive, and a lot of people do, you will be severely burnt.

Obviously when safely in your car avoid touching any bare metal. Best to pull over and not touch steering wheel or gear stick. Suggest you put your hands in your lap. Windows should be down.

By the way, a golf cart is fibreglass and offers no such protection!

The Hamster of Top Gear demonstrated how well a car works by reconstructing a lightning strike whilst he was still in a car. Very impressive demonstration. I am sure you could find it on utube or similar.
  • Options
    13 thousand lightning strikes hit the UK in 24 hours