Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Dillon Phillips Quandary

Comments

• Options
    I don't get this "Steer good distribution". Personally I think I think it has been poor to average. I wouldn't blame him for too many of the goals but there again how many saves has he made. I am struggling to think of any tbh!.He is also poor at coming off his line.
    In my opinion he is a BIG weaklink in our line up and one of the worst goalkeepers in this division!
    I certainly had more confidence in Phillips and thought he would gradually get better. To me he deserves another run in the side.
  • Options
    redman said:

I don't get this "Steer good distribution". Personally I think I think it has been poor to average. I wouldn't blame him for too many of the goals but there again how many saves has he made. I am struggling to think of any tbh!.He is also poor at coming off his line.
    In my opinion he is a BIG weaklink in our line up and one of the worst goalkeepers in this division!
    I certainly had more confidence in Phillips and thought he would gradually get better. To me he deserves another run in the side.

Would love to hear Bowyer's opinion.
  • Options
    I still think it's a shame nobody has formed a band called The Dillon Phillips Quandary. I imagine they'd either play jazz or prog rock.
  • Options
    Can we please commit to Phillips now? Or do we really want to start all over in the summer?
  • Options
    Maxwell will be in goal next week, Phillips will be released in June.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

But why should Maxwell be in goal next week? Dillon been in for two games, two clean sheets, deserves to keep his place. He actually could be the answer to our goalkeeping problems.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    se9addick said:

Maxwell let in 22 goals in 11 games for Preston this season before he was dropped. Phillips has conceded 14 in 14 this season - and let in just 8 in his last 11 appearances, only once conceding more than one in those matches.

If I were Phillips I would be off in the summer if I were dropped for Maxwell.
  • Options

se9addick said:

But why should Maxwell be in goal next week? Dillon been in for two games, two clean sheets, deserves to keep his place. He actually could be the answer to our goalkeeping problems.

se9addick said:

Maxwell let in 22 goals in 11 games for Preston this season before he was dropped. Phillips has conceded 14 in 14 this season - and let in just 8 in his last 11 appearances, only once conceding more than one in those matches.

If I were Phillips I would be off in the summer if I were dropped for Maxwell.
    I’m not saying it’s right, but I’m pretty sure Maxwell won’t be warming the bench too long. Regardless of what we think about Phillips it doesn’t seem like Bowyer rates him as he signs an alternative as soon as he can.
  • Options

Phillips is 23 and has played 34 times for us plus 37 games for Cheltenham making that 71 in total.

The Leeds number one, Bailey Peacock-Farrell, is 22 and has played a total of 43 games for Leeds and York. The number two, Will Huffer, is 20 and has played just once and the number three, Kamil Miazek, is 22 and only ever played 4 times for a 2nd Division side in Poland and never for Leeds.

Peacock-Farrell is still learning his game. If his lack of experience is good enough for for the leaders of the Championship then surely it should be good enough for us?

Or do we have to wait for a PL Club to come in for Phillips for people to be proven wrong? Because some were saying exactly the same thing about Pope - and guess what? He left us at the age of 24 having started just 36 matches for us.

In fairness, I understand Leeds want a keeper and their fans aren't keen on Peacock-Farrell but I do agree with the point. Phillips isn't inexperienced, it's just whether he is good enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I bet Phillips has a career goals per match allowed with us (not on loan to others) that is better than either Declan or Steer during their time with us. Anyone some can verify?
  • Options
    edited January 2019

I bet Phillips has a career goals per match allowed with us (not on loan to others) that is better than either Declan or Steer during their time with us. Anyone some can verify?

Hope this is ok @NapaAddick
    Done our last 4 keepers

Phillips in League games for us
    Played 16 conceded 17
    Phillips in all comps for us
    Played 33 conceded 40

Steer in League games for us
    Played 19 conceded 23
    Steer in all comps for us
    Played 20 conceded 25

Amos in League games for us
    Played 46 conceded 51
    Amos in all comps for us
    Played 50 conceded 57

Rudd in League games for us
    Played 38 conceded 44
    Rudd in all comps for us
    Played 40 conceded 46

These stats are all via transfer market

Someone else can do the math as thats not my strong point
  • Options
    Good name for a jazz band.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Had interesting chat with Andy Woodman when he was Charlton's goalkeeper coach.
    Elliott and Randolph were young keepers who Andy felt were similar standard and could go on and have good careers in the game depending on injuries and having managers who believes in them.
    He stated because only one position up for grabs you need to take your opportunity to retain the jersey.

The focus needed to be a keeper is amazing and staying alert when you might not in the action for periods of time.

Dillon Phillips has done well since Steer left but maybe he will leave at end of season because he needs to play every week if or when Maxwell replaces him. Lots of pressure on Dillon because I see Internationals like Loris and Pickford make mistakes on a fairly regular basis in between their worldy saves.
  • Options
    I hope we keep Dillon - has the potential to be a good keeper. Happy for him to be our No1 but can see him leaving at the end of the season.

• Options

Hope this is ok @NapaAddick
    Done our last 4 keepers

Phillips in League games for us
    Played 16 conceded 17
    Phillips in all comps for us
    Played 33 conceded 40

Steer in League games for us
    Played 19 conceded 23
    Steer in all comps for us
    Played 20 conceded 25

Amos in League games for us
    Played 46 conceded 51
    Amos in all comps for us
    Played 50 conceded 57

Rudd in League games for us
    Played 38 conceded 44
    Rudd in all comps for us
    Played 40 conceded 46

These stats are all via transfer market

Someone else can do the math as thats not my strong point
    All games:

Phillips - 0.825 goals conceded per game
    Steer - 0.800 goals conceded per game
    Amos - 0.877 goals conceded per game
    Rudd - 0.870 goals conceded per game

So very little between the four of them

However, in his career, Maxwell has conceded 287 goals in 268 games which is an average of 1.071 per game. When playing for two seasons in League 1 he let in 106 goals in 92 matches which equates to 1.174 average.

Conclusion: Phillips' record is on a par with the other all the above keepers bar Maxwell - where it is considerably better.
  • Options

Conceding goals isn’t everything though. It’s not fair to say whoever concedes the less goals is automatically the best keeper.

It's not but the point I am tying to make is that conceding goals is not a stick you can beat Phillips with. And if the keeper coming in has no record of achieving more at either this or a higher level then there is no justification whatsoever for dropping Phillips - especially when the keeper coming in will be "here today, gone tomorrow".

• Options

Conceding goals isn’t everything though. It’s not fair to say whoever concedes the less goals is automatically the best keeper.

It's not but the point I am tying to make is that conceding goals is not a stick you can beat Phillips with. And if the keeper coming in has no record of achieving more at either this or a higher level then there is no justification whatsoever for dropping Phillips - especially when the keeper coming in will be "here today, gone tomorrow".

Fair points and ones I agree with mostly. Not the "here today, gone tomorrow" one though. Does that mean we shouldn't play Bielik and Cullen and play Morgan and Marshall instead? If the players better us they should play, we are going for promotion.
  • Options
    Loved it yesterday when Phillips made his foot save and we got behind him, can tell he appreciated it at the end of the game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great film ...
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Great film ...

The Hollywood version?
  • Options

Fair points and ones I agree with mostly. Not the "here today, gone tomorrow" one though. Does that mean we shouldn't play Bielik and Cullen and play Morgan and Marshall instead? If the players better us they should play, we are going for promotion.
    But there is no evidence that Maxwell is better and the keeping position is different when you take a keeper on loan simply because there is not only the expectation that he will play every minute of every game (in other positions you can start a loan player or, say, bring him on for the last 20 minutes or so) but, also, because it is, probably, the most important position on the pitch - it is the one that holds the defence together and the one that needs time to develop an understanding with that back line.

When some fans used to criticise Bruce Grobbelaar for the mistakes he would occasionally make, the Liverpool players and management would come to his defence. Why? Because they knew he was going to come for every ball and that he might not make it - but they were prepared for that and knew how to react when it did happen.

Bringing a keeper in at this stage of the season that doesn't know one member of the team from another, as opposed to keeping one in place and who has played and trained with the rest of the squad for a couple of years and is doing a decent job anyway, makes no sense whatsoever. Especially if you then lose that home grown keeper (Randolph, Elliot and Pope spring to mind even if they did move on to better things) and have to, effectively, bring in two new keepers to the club the following season.
  • Options

But there is no evidence that Maxwell is better and the keeping position is different when you take a keeper on loan simply because there is not only the expectation that he will play every minute of every game (in other positions you can start a loan player or, say, bring him on for the last 20 minutes or so) but, also, because it is, probably, the most important position on the pitch - it is the one that holds the defence together and the one that needs time to develop an understanding with that back line.

When some fans used to criticise Bruce Grobbelaar for the mistakes he would occasionally make, the Liverpool players and management would come to his defence. Why? Because they knew he was going to come for every ball and that he might not make it - but they were prepared for that and knew how to react when it did happen.

Bringing a keeper in at this stage of the season that doesn't know one member of the team from another, as opposed to keeping one in place and who has played and trained with the rest of the squad for a couple of years and is doing a decent job anyway, makes no sense whatsoever. Especially if you then lose that home grown keeper (Randolph, Elliot and Pope spring to mind even if they did move on to better things) and have to, effectively, bring in two new keepers to the club the following season.
    I am not saying he is better. I am not Phillips biggest fan but he shouldn't be dropped. I certainly agree with your first paragraph. But if Bowyer decides that playing Maxwell is the right thing to do, I will trust him. It could well turn out to be the wrong decision. Bowyer will make mistakes because of his inexperience but is doing a good job and I will back him.

Rudd, Amos and Steer have all come in on loan and done a good job so I personally don't care whether they are on loan or permanent. If we want to go up we need to play our best team. We had to bring in another keeper and the signing of Maxwell seems a decent one.
  • Options

As far as i see it there is absolutely no justification for dropping Philips from a footballing viewpoint. There wasn't any for Steer to get in the team. Steer played one midweek cup game, let in 3 goals in a loss and from then on is first choice, no questions asked.

This is all down to finances. Roland won't pay for two senior keepers and has always forced the manager to fill the gap with a loan. I expect, given Roland's general tight fistedness, the budget for a loan is small and the parent club is most likely paying a hefty percentage of the player's wage. The parent club will want their keeper to play, probably insist on it in the loan terms as they are paying. They're not a charity.

As far as I can see from his record, the latest transient keeper is no improvement at all on Philips. But perhaps not being from a team like villa the wages and loan terms may not be so onerous against Philips
  • Options

I also think you need to take into account how many of the goals conceded were penalties.
  • Options

To say Maxwell is no improvement on Phillips is questionable.

Maxwell is an experienced Championship keeper. Phillips has never played at that level.

If Phillips was that good a keeper someone would have swooped and RD would have cashed in on him a long time ago. He's okay for this level but I'm not convinced he's top six material.

Being one of our own is irrelevant in the debate. He and Maxwell are both here until the end of the season and chances are neither of them will be here next season. In the meantime I'm more concerned with the progress of Charlton Athletic than the progress of Phillips or Maxwell. I just want the best keeper possible to play for us and help get us out of this flea pit of a league. Maxwell is probably the better of the two keepers but for now the shirt is Phillips to lose. However if Bowyer decides Maxwell should play I won't lose any sleep over it.

This 100%
  • Options

Maxwell is an experienced Championship keeper. Phillips has never played at that level.

If Phillips was that good a keeper someone would have swooped and RD would have cashed in on him a long time ago. He's okay for this level but I'm not convinced he's top six material.

Being one of our own is irrelevant in the debate. He and Maxwell are both here until the end of the season and chances are neither of them will be here next season. In the meantime I'm more concerned with the progress of Charlton Athletic than the progress of Phillips or Maxwell. I just want the best keeper possible to play for us and help get us out of this flea pit of a league. Maxwell is probably the better of the two keepers but for now the shirt is Phillips to lose. However if Bowyer decides Maxwell should play I won't lose any sleep over it.

This 100%
    I'm happy for the best keeper to start. Phillips has done nothing to deserve to lose his starting place and Maxwell is rusty after a period out of action - would be risky to start Maxwell unless Dillon starts playing badly.

If Maxwell was such a good keeper PNE wouldn't have let him out on loan with us - he may be more experienced but that doesn't make him better.

Good luck to both keepers.
  • Options

Phillips probably hasn't been in the shop window enough to be sold - yet. But some, as supporters, would expect him to stick with the Club. Pope was highly criticised by some for his mistakes and then, in equal measure when he left, told that all he would be, at best, a bench warmer for Burnley. But, within two years, played for England.

Time will tell but, what is for certain, whoever is in goal will be under close scrutiny just because of the situation they find themselves in - and of the two probably Maxwell more because Phillips hasn't done anything wrong.