Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Dillon Phillips Quandary

Comments

• Options
    He’s excellent. Watch MotD and you’ll regularly see goalkeeping gaffs. Pretty sure Dillon hasn’t made any at all. Not even sure why he’s up for debate. 
    Will play at a higher level, with or without us. 
  • Options
    He’s playing well - bet Maxwell’s gutted, probably thought he’d walk into the team
  • Options
    Phillips has improved and is doing really well. He deserves to keep his place.
    However, the 5 goals conceded in 9 games, is as much if not more to do with the defending, having a proper left back playing and Sarr's improved form.

Phillips is not the main reason, in exactly the same way as he wasn't mainly to blame, when he conceded a lot more at the start of the season.
    When was he conceding a lot more? As far as I remember Steer was in goal when we shipped 5 against Scunthorpe.
    If he's conceded 5 in 9, that's 0.55 goals per game.

The start of the season was Sunderland 2, Shrewsbury 1, MKD (cup) 3, Accrington 1,Peterborough 1, Fleetwood 0, Southend 1.

So that's 9 in 7 = 1.28 goals per game or
    league only 6 in 6 = 1 per game.

So a lot more as in nearly double in the league and even worse if you include the cup game.
  • Options
    However, the 5 goals conceded in 9 games, is as much if not more to do with the defending, having a proper left back playing and Sarr's improved form.

Phillips is not the main reason, in exactly the same way as he wasn't mainly to blame, when he conceded a lot more at the start of the season.
    When was he conceding a lot more? As far as I remember Steer was in goal when we shipped 5 against Scunthorpe.

The start of the season was Sunderland 2, Shrewsbury 1, MKD (cup) 3, Accrington 1,Peterborough 1, Fleetwood 0, Southend 1.

So a lot more as in nearly double in the league and even worse if you include the cup game.
    I thought the cup game was Steers first game. Could be mistaken though. 
  • Options

I thought the cup game was Steers first game. Could be mistaken though. 
    You are :-)
  • Options

Phillips' total record this season is:

17 conceded in all competitions from 20 matches = 0.85 goals per game
    11 conceded in the League from 15 matches = 0.73 goals per game

Steer's record for us this season is:

25 conceded in all competitions from 20 matches = 1.25 goals per game
    23 conceded in the League from 19 matches = 1.21 goals per game

In the last two seasons Steer has played 8 games for Villa and conceded 16 goals - 4 games and 8 goals in each season. 
  • Options
    Nice piece, a massive breakthrough for Dillon this season since Christmas, I imagine Maxwell expected to be number one when he joined us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a save in the first half, cracking stuff!
  • Options
    He worries me not coming off his line at times......great save first half
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    I think that's a fair point. However, any defence needs to know that the keeper will come for crosses come what may. The likes of Grobbelaar and Peter Schmeichel used to do it and take out everything in their way including their own defenders.

Phillips doesn't need to do that with the height we have defending those. Indecision is leads to misunderstanding and that can be far worse than not coming at all.
  • Options
    Personally thought it was average. Glad he saved it but would expect most professional keepers to do the same. Admittedly that was live and I haven’t seen a replay. 

A few terrible kicks today and he needs to come off his line more. He’s still young and I’m sure those improvements will come. He’s definitely been a part of our form since January, been very impressed overall. 
  • Options
    Personally thought it was average. Glad he saved it but would expect most professional keepers to do the same. Admittedly that was live and I haven’t seen a replay. 

A few terrible kicks today and he needs to come off his line more. He’s still young and I’m sure those improvements will come. He’s definitely been a part of our form since January, been very impressed overall. 
    Some very good kicking from Dillon, also.

No League One player is going to get things right 100%.

• Options

Average, average!!

Good grief , who are you David De Gea?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    ct_addick said:
    You must have missed the moment in the first half where he came flying out of his area - Did a diving header to clear the ball all whilst it looked as though Bauer had it covered

But yeah there was another moment in the second half where Bauer expected Phillips to come and collect, stayed on his line and Patrick was forced to send it for a corner
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Average, average!!

Good grief , who are you David De Gea?
    Seen it again, perhaps slightly harsh, was a very decent save. Not a brilliant one by any stretch though. 

Just because Phillips has been fantastic over the last few months, doesn't mean every save he makes is suddenly outstanding. 

PS - You watched De Gea recently? Not a patch on Phillips!
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    You must have missed the moment in the first half where he came flying out of his area - Did a diving header to clear the ball all whilst it looked as though Bauer had it covered

But yeah there was another moment in the second half where Bauer expected Phillips to come and collect, stayed on his line and Patrick was forced to send it for a corner
    He definitely could have been better at coming out today. But he's not even 24 yet, there are areas of his game he will improve on. If he was as good at things like that as shot-stopping, he would be a Premier league keeper already so we need to be realistic. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ct_addick said:

He definitely could have been better at coming out today. But he's not even 24 yet, there are areas of his game he will improve on. If he was as good at things like that as shot-stopping, he would be a Premier league keeper already so we need to be realistic. 

I too think he needs to 'command' the six-yard area at corners a little more positively; although Nabby and Patrick seem to have that in hand. I like Dillon and I'm sure he will be our No. 1 for some time.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    ct_addick said:

I too think he needs to 'command' the six-yard area at corners a little more positively; although Nabby and Patrick seem to have that in hand. I like Dillon and I'm sure he will be our No. 1 for some time.
    Hopefully, he can certainly only get better and become a very good keeper in the League above and beyond. 

Definitely areas to improve on, but I doubt there's a young player in League 1 who has everything. 
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    ct_addick said:

JJ is in charge of all corners including defence, I believe and perhaps he has told Dillon to leave it to Bauer and Sarr
  • Options
    I said back at the start of Feb that we wasted the wages on Maxwell. That we should have stuck by Phillios& use the money on another striker. I know all about hindsight......but been proved right. No striker on the bench yesterday & yet Maxwell has yet to set a foot on the pitch. 
  • Options
    I said back at the start of Feb that we wasted the wages on Maxwell. That we should have stuck by Phillios& use the money on another striker. I know all about hindsight......but been proved right. No striker on the bench yesterday & yet Maxwell has yet to set a foot on the pitch. 
    I don't know how much of his wages we are contributing.

The unfortunate thing about January was that we had a loan space available, but weren't able to bring anyone in. It wouldn't even have needed to be anyone experienced or that good
  • Options
    I don't know how much of his wages we are contributing.

The unfortunate thing about January was that we had a loan space available, but weren't able to bring anyone in. It wouldn't even have needed to be anyone experienced or that good
    That is what people were saying about Parker until two games ago
  • Options
    You need 2 senior keepers. Phillips gets injured and who do we play, Maynard-Brewer? Bowyer would've been slaughtered. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    You need 2 senior keepers. Phillips gets injured and who do we play, Maynard-Brewer? Bowyer would've been slaughtered. 
    Yep and arguably having someone experienced on the bench who can come in and do a job has probably pushed Dillon much more.
  • Options
    Clearly, the issue was not money, we'd saved the wages of Ajose and Grant yet Bowyer still wasn't allowed to bring a striker in. We're owned by a fruitcake, that's the issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    By many accounts, his distribution has not improved since last year. It's what worried Bowyer in 2018-19 and he said so more than once. When he gets a good rating in a match this season I notice it is because he "did not have a lot to do." I am thinking he is gonna get a royal pasting soon. Is it time to bring in Amos every other match as a way to force Dillon to work on his shortcomings? How does a coach actually work on improving a player's distribution? Is it mental? PS- whoops, missed the other thread. Will post there.