Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Swisdom said:

I might be mistaken but I believe Marcus Maddison has more assists & goals combined than any other player in the top 4 divisions for the last couple of seasons

He's about 24

If we have serious intentions of getting out of this division is the type of player that can make a difference

If we sign Marcus Maddison I'll ...........
    Buy shares in Duck Tape?
  • vff said:

Swisdom said:

I might be mistaken but I believe Marcus Maddison has more assists & goals combined than any other player in the top 4 divisions for the last couple of seasons

He's about 24

If we have serious intentions of getting out of this division is the type of player that can make a difference

Buy shares in Duck Tape?
    I think that you might mean Duct Tape there ?
    Be careful! That's a flagable offense to many on here.
  • vffvff
    edited June 2017

vff said:

Swisdom said:

He's about 24

Buy shares in Duck Tape?
    Looking out for duck welfare ? or making a rubbish joke ?

Making a rubbish joke and being overly pedantic is the staple diet for Charlton Life - that's nearly a promote.
  • sam3110 said:

I reckon we need to sell Watt, Ajose, Novak, Teixeira

Sign Martin, Marshall, Clarke, RB, LB, CM, CAM, LW, RW, ST minimum

Phillips, Martin
    Solly, RB
    Page, LB
    Bauer, Pearce, Konsa, Lennon, Sarr
    Crofts, Forster-Caskey, Aribo, Jackson, CM, CAM
    Holmes, Marshall, Clarke, Ceballos LW, RW
    Magennis, Vetokele, ST

Umerah, Hanlan, Dijksteel, Beeney, Barnes all to get squad time too

Not a title winning squad though, we'd need 20 signings for that

Bring Marcus Maddison in from Peterborough as one of those LW / RW's if we're serious

Or we could take a small risk and sign Roarie Deacon from Sutton
    Deacon signed by Dundee :wink:
  • So will Maddison be this year's Max Gradel? Decent players we get linked with but never sign and have no intention too under this lot. More likely to sign Neil Maddison, only 47 and would still be quicker than Crofts. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Maddison
  • edited June 2017
    The 1.5 mil price tag essentially means we have no chance. And never did. Leeds and Villa are after him and with Championship money available for the transfer and higher wages beckoning, he simply isn't coming here. Even with new owners, he would not be coming here. Who turns down higher wages and The Championship for League One? No one.

The price can be interpreted as "Championship Clubs need only apply."

Besides, if you look at their fan page, his club's fans are saying at that money, take the money and run. They say he flops often and spends lots of time primping in the mirror. They think he is good but not the second coming. And worth selling at the right price.

This may be a case were the press is building up a player and the people who see him every day know better. This kind of thing happens every transfer window.
  • edited June 2017
    Frankly, would prefer Thompson on a free plus George Thomas on a free, plus Liam Lindsay for 750k and Ben Reeves on a free and James Henry on a free ..... 5 good players at half that total price.

No one player is gonna save this team.
  • Sponsored links:

• We payed about that or even more for Naby Sarr. I wouldn't be that surprised to see him join, it's a very similar situation to Ajose last season.
  • We payed about that or even more for Naby Sarr. I wouldn't be that surprised to see him join, it's a very similar situation to Ajose last season.

So we will be loaning him out next Jan?
  • I'm not sure but when a club signs a player on a free a signing on fee is involved so the transaction is not free
  • I'm not sure but when a club signs a player on a free a signing on fee is involved so the transaction is not free

I believe that is true only if the player is under 23. So for Thomas, there would be a payment. Which has been bandied about at a measley £300k. The others would be free and clear.

• vff said:

Swisdom said:

He's about 24

Buy shares in Duck Tape?

http://grammarist.com/interesting-words/duck-tape-or-duct-tape/

I believe that is true only if the player is under 23. So for Thomas, there would be a payment. Which has been bandied about at a measley £300k. The others would be free and clear.

What I believe Lancashire Lad is saying is that a player out of contract is "free" but clubs generally then pay the player a signing on fee, thus still costing the club money.
  • This is starting to get silly now. I know that I may have been over critical at times but I'm sure even the most passionate defenders of the regime must be now starting to wonder what the hell is going on.

The players return to pre-season training in 10 days time & yet nothing seems to be going on regarding assembling any type of squad to even keep us in this league, let alone get in the top 6.

To date we have 1 goalkeeper (who the manager doesn't rate)

no fit left back

a right back that we know can't play a whole season

a midfield that is pedestrian at best

a strikeforce that individually couldn't score a dozen goals

and the coup de grace - our playmaker is wanted by another team & no news on him signing a new contract, even though KR said 2 weeks ago was the main priority.

They are waiting to sign someone before they announce Holmes has been sold
  • I'm clearing off to Devon for a few days, bet I don't miss much, oh for progressive owners.
  • edited June 2017
    I had no real hope of them getting it right this summer but what happens in May doesn't really tell you how the summer will go.

It wasn't long ago we seemed to be linked with players quite regularly. Has gone very quiet now other than one signing and Maddison's name coming up again (and that seems unlikely).

Hope a takeover is close. Seems strange Bowyer's new role still hasn't been confirmed.
  • Sponsored links:

• The 1.5 mil price tag essentially means we have no chance. And never did. Leeds and Villa are after him and with Championship money available for the transfer and higher wages beckoning, he simply isn't coming here. Even with new owners, he would not be coming hegre. Who turns down higher wages and The Championship for League One? No one.

Besides, if you look at their fan page, his club's fans are saying at that money, take the money and run. They say he flops often and spends lots of time primping in the mirror. They think he is good but not the second coming. And worth selling at the right price.

This may be a case were the press is building up a player and the people who see him every day know better. This kind of thing happens every transfer window.

Jose Fonte to Southampton...
  • Scoham said:

I had no real hope of them getting it right this summer but what happens in May doesn't really tell you how the summer will go.

It wasn't long ago we seemed to be linked with players quite regularly. Has gone very quiet now other than one signing and Maddison's name coming up again (and that seems unlikely).

Hope a takeover is close. Seems strange Bowyer's new role still hasn't been confirmed.

Thing is, tomorrow is the middle of June.....
  • vff said:

vff said:

Swisdom said:

He's about 24

Buy shares in Duck Tape?
    Looking out for duck welfare ? or making a rubbish joke ?

Making a rubbish joke and being overly pedantic is the staple diet for Charlton Life - that's nearly a promote.
    Suggesting it's Duct not Duck is offensive ti many!
  • Shame Roland and Charlton didn't make £11m off one player this year.

We were in the Championship when we signed Sarr though, so you'd expect us to to paying more for players

That he was terrible is a separate issue...
  • The 1.5 mil price tag essentially means we have no chance. And never did. Leeds and Villa are after him and with Championship money available for the transfer and higher wages beckoning, he simply isn't coming here. Even with new owners, he would not be coming hegre. Who turns down higher wages and The Championship for League One? No one.

It does happen, and just because the media says clubs like LEeds are interested doesn't mean they are seriously interested (same goes for us).

I could believe Roland would sanction a deal at that price for the right player. He's done it before, but also been sold (more than) a few pups. Maddison is english and therefore a touch overpriced but, even at that price, if he were to continue/improve his form and help get us up, and then make the step up the Championship himself, then he fits the (quasi) model that RD appears to have wanted to use which is to buy younger players with resale value.

It is important we build depth into the squad too, but if the 3 in our 4-2-3-1 was Holmes-Clarke-Maddison, that would be a very decent trio. I want to see that 2 behind it much improved as well though because however good the 3 may be, they will need players that can win the ball and give it to them.

Whatever shape we end up playing next year, the midfield needs a major overhaul.
    No players, no new owners. No hope.

• supaclive said:

The 1.5 mil price tag essentially means we have no chance. And never did. Leeds and Villa are after him and with Championship money available for the transfer and higher wages beckoning, he simply isn't coming here. Even with new owners, he would not be coming hegre. Who turns down higher wages and The Championship for League One? No one.

It does happen, and just because the media says clubs like LEeds are interested doesn't mean they are seriously interested (same goes for us).

I could believe Roland would sanction a deal at that price for the right player. He's done it before, but also been sold (more than) a few pups. Maddison is english and therefore a touch overpriced but, even at that price, if he were to continue/improve his form and help get us up, and then make the step up the Championship himself, then he fits the (quasi) model that RD appears to have wanted to use which is to buy younger players with resale value.

It is important we build depth into the squad too, but if the 3 in our 4-2-3-1 was Holmes-Clarke-Maddison, that would be a very decent trio. I want to see that 2 behind it much improved as well though because however good the 3 may be, they will need players that can win the ball and give it to them.

Whatever shape we end up playing next year, the midfield needs a major overhaul.
    What happens on the pitch will never improve until this poison from Belgian f*** off.

The football has been a sideshow since the Watford 5-0.