Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• I'm still waiting for KR to "splash the cash" from the lookman sale

• whats Roly sticking 11m on

Meire's lunch bills
  • seth plum said:

Chipping away?

When Karl was asked if he knew the problem, and what needed to be done, he smiled and said 'oh yes', twice, like the Churchill dog.

We supposedly wanted things sorted before he went away, a full set up in time for Ireland, fresh and hopeful. We were to come back early, have a cold shower and hit the ground running.

It is great to have dreams, even if you're a football manager.

What I think Slade and Karl have in common, along with maybe the other managers too, is that they half believed, and were half persuaded that they would get supported in what they wanted, assurances and reassurances and all.

The problem you have when the prospects seem enticing, is you fail to hear the verbal small print as it were.

Stuff gets couched and diluted. Lookman money equals training ground, being patient means no credible midfield, financial support means not paying juicy transfer fees when there is a Roger Johnson style alternative.

There was talk about a year ago during the Wilder shenanigans that the manager should blimmin well 'get it in writing'!

To me it still seems to hold true. For all Rolands financial power play and fast jets to Belgium, for all Katriens surface charm, the manager is kicked out of the fast jet and told to get by on his Oyster card, and the surface charm turns out to be applied by a skilled make up artist to hide the carbuncles.

I'd recommend polyfilla.....
  • If we want this Scottish lad we will get him. We have millions to spend, the irrefutable proof is that we tried to spend it last January on some top class players but other teams let us down... I don't see how anybody else can miss this obvious truth.

Well that's what Colin Says anyway.

Ahh Colin. I actually miss him tbf.

A bit like a boil on me arse as annoying as it is when it's gone you miss it
  • If we want this Scottish lad we will get him. We have millions to spend, the irrefutable proof is that we tried to spend it last January on some top class players but other teams let us down... I don't see how anybody else can miss this obvious truth.

@blackpool72, I hope you won't be too upset to hear this, but I'm not sure that we do miss any of your boils and, as for your arse, I won't even go there...

I mean, I know CL is a very supportive community, the sort that gives you that nice warm, fuzzy feeling inside (NB. not the one you get with a weak bladder), but I'm not 100% sure that we are quite that close.

Obviously, now I'm feeling a bit callous and I'm worried that I've let everyone down.
  • edited June 2017
    I'm gonna make a prediction now. Johnnie Jackson is going to be starting the first game of the season.

Now I love the man. He is one of my all time heros and someone I want around the club forever. But I think even he will say that he shouldn't be first choice in CM for the coming season. If he is we have a problem.

After all the talk of him 'playing his last game as just a player' and 'being there when the manager calls on him' it'll be a bit of a come down for Karl and will show the club up.
  • Sponsored links:

• @cantersaddick personally think we'll go other way and you'll see Djiksteel getting a game.
  • Gary Doherty and Miguel Llera are coming out of retirement to bring back their comedy double act to keep the fans amused.

Matey Holland will be in charge of laundry given that his shorts were never dirty.
  • I'm gonna make a prediction now. Johnnie Jackson is going to be starting the first game of the season.

Now I love the man. He is one of my all time heros and someone I want around the club forever. But I think even he will say that he shouldn't be first choice in CM for the coming season. If he is we have a problem.

After all the talk of him 'playing his last game as just a player' and 'being there when the manager calls on him' it'll be a bit of a come down for Karl and will show the club up.

Jackson will play 40 games at left back! ;-)
  • I'm gonna make a prediction now. Johnnie Jackson is going to be starting the first game of the season.

Jackson will play 40 games at left back! ;-)
    God help us! Great man but even in his prime he was never a left back!

@blackpool72, I hope you won't be too upset to hear this, but I'm not sure that we do miss any of your boils and, as for your arse, I won't even go there...

I mean, I know CL is a very supportive community, the sort that gives you that nice warm, fuzzy feeling inside (NB. not the one you get with a weak bladder), but I'm not 100% sure that we are quite that close.

Obviously, now I'm feeling a callus on my arse and I'm worried that I've let everyone down.
    You're usually so good at this stuff @NornIrishAddick that I saw it as arsential to correct the obvious typo.....
  • I think bowyer will be getting a game at the moment What's happening with Igor he can be like a new signing if his not sent out on loan again.The way things are going on the transfer front. I don't think no one will go out on loan the squad going to be very small.
  • Djicksteel should have been in the side last season. He is some player and I think he'll surprise a few people
  • Something must be happening. This is quiet even for them. More telling is the lack of movement on the coaching staff.
  • Something must be happening. This is quiet even for them. More telling is the lack of movement on the coaching staff.

Either that or they're desperately trying to flog the higher earners (Teixeira) and possibly a prospect (Konsa).

Once those two have gone we'll have about £10k to spend from the £1m+ earned from those two
  • We will see plenty of Konsa, Aribo and Djicksteel. All need ripening for January sale.
  • Sponsored links:

• Djicksteel should have been in the side last season. He is some player and I think he'll surprise a few people

Only seen him live once and he was fantastic. More Vieira-like than Aribo any day of the week.
    He could be really special

Either that or they're desperately trying to flog the higher earners (Teixeira) and possibly a prospect (Konsa).

Once those two have gone we'll have about £10k to spend from the £1m+ earned from those two
    They have to shift the big earners to free up budget for fees and wages for new purchases but so far have failed to do so precisely because they are big earners. No other clubs want to take those wages on and the players, understandably, aren't going to just walk away without some sort of deal being done ala Ba and Diarra. So the transfer dealings are in limbo.

I'm confident that deals will be done even if the big earners don't go but maybe not the ones or all the ones that Robinson wants.

Quiet on incoming transfers, but also quiet on outgoing transfers.No comments about Tex, Igor, Ceballos and Sarr who the club presumably want to leave...
  • I'm actually about 90% sure that a takeover is at least being discussed. The issue we have is that it is lose-lose now. If it ends up collapsing, we are not only left with RD and KM, but we have a panic squad with some late freebies that nobody else wants with maybe 1 expensive flop. If it does happen, it still gives us little time to get a decent squad organised. The best we can hope for is a takeover where we are somehow in the top 14 by January, and then some decent signings then.

Quiet on incoming transfers, but also quiet on outgoing transfers.No comments about Tex, Igor, Ceballos and Sarr who the club presumably want to leave...
    The coaching situation is odd.

Nothing official about O'Loughlin even though the departures of Clark and Barker were announced. I presume this is because both were joining other clubs so something had to be said.

But Jackson we know is staying as a player as he got an automatic extension based on the number of games he played. So I can only think that they haven't yet agreed the terms and conditions of his coaching contract or Bowyer's.

It could be argued that we don't need JJ and Bowyer as coaches until 1 July when the squad go to Ireland so maybe we're going to employ them from that date onwards. But Rotherham and Notts Co announced the Barker and Clark deals and wouldn't Boywer and Jackson need to be preparing for pre-season now.

Maybe they are employed and it's just that no one in the SMT thinks it news worthy but with so little else going on some news would be good news.

Or maybe it's just another bloody mess of a transfer window.

Nothing official about O'Loughlin even though the departures of Clark and Barker were announced. I presume this is because both were joining other clubs so something had to be said.

But Jackson we know is staying as a player as he got an automatic extension based on the number of games he played. So I can only think that they haven't yet agreed the terms and conditions of his coaching contract or Bowyer's.

It could be argued that we don't need JJ and Bowyer as coaches until 1 July when the squad go to Ireland so maybe we're going to employ them from that date onwards. But Rotherham and Notts Co announced the Barker and Clark deals and wouldn't Boywer and Jackson need to be preparing for pre-season now.

Maybe they are employed and it's just that no one in the SMT thinks it news worthy but with so little else going on some news would be good news.

this

The Billy Clarke transfer looks like a bit of an anomaly amongst all this hive of contract inactivity!

They will probably just wait to announce the departure of COL until they bring him back in September.
  • This thread is like continually banging your head against a brick wall, but yet still i continue to do it. Cant be healthy..