Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• SDAddick said:

Harry Lennon is not very popular with a lot of Charlton fans.
    But when out on loan and playing regularly by all accounts he has done well.
    The trouble is at Charlton he is way down the pecking order and never seems to string a run of games together.
    I still believe he will become a decent player good enough to play in the championship eventually.

When I saw him in the Championship second half of two years ago I thought he looked ok at best. His positioning and reading of the game isn't great. He's not particularly good on the ball. He's good in the air and he has the mobility to cover for his mistakes, but I think he's a ways off yet. On the handful of times he played last year he had a big mistake in him.

I think he'd benefit from a sixth month loan to determine how good he actually is. We have four good center backs ahead of him plus Dijksteel looked handy there against Dover and Bowery by all accounts looked good against Welling. I agree that injuries and a consistent run in the team have hindered him, but given where he is right now I think League Two or lower League One is about his level.
    I agree with you that he will benefit from a loan where he can play regular first team football.
    The problem he has at Charlton is that he is so far down the pecking order that when he does get a chance it is only ever for one or two games, he never gets a run in the side to show what he can do.
    I would like to loan him out to a club that will give him 1st team football and see how he progresses.
    I'd agree as long as we have an immediate recall clause.
    Not allowed, unless it's to a non league club
  • Harry Lennon is not very popular with a lot of Charlton fans.
    The trouble is at Charlton he is way down the pecking order and never seems to string a run of games together.
    I still believe he will become a decent player good enough to play in the championship eventually.

I think there is certainly potential with him. Unfortunately when he plays he is quite rash and partial to giving away penalties, picking up cheap bookings and has had a couple of red cards. If he could cut that out, he would be in with a shout.
    Personally I think at his age, he probably needs a move away and be a playing regularly.
    When a regular in the Championship he seemed reasonably steady, whereas due to injuries and lack of match fitness he was terrible when called upon last season. He desperately needs a run of games when fit
  • SDAddick said:

Harry Lennon is not very popular with a lot of Charlton fans.

When I saw him in the Championship second half of two years ago I thought he looked ok at best. His positioning and reading of the game isn't great. He's not particularly good on the ball. He's good in the air and he has the mobility to cover for his mistakes, but I think he's a ways off yet. On the handful of times he played last year he had a big mistake in him.

I think he'd benefit from a sixth month loan to determine how good he actually is. We have four good center backs ahead of him plus Dijksteel looked handy there against Dover and Bowery by all accounts looked good against Welling. I agree that injuries and a consistent run in the team have hindered him, but given where he is right now I think League Two or lower League One is about his level.
    I agree with you that he will benefit from a loan where he can play regular first team football.
    The problem he has at Charlton is that he is so far down the pecking order that when he does get a chance it is only ever for one or two games, he never gets a run in the side to show what he can do.
    I would like to loan him out to a club that will give him 1st team football and see how he progresses.
    I'd agree as long as we have an immediate recall clause.
    Not allowed, unless it's to a non league club
    Thanks, I thought it might just be no emergency loans, couldn't be bothered to check.
  • Lennon moving at the moment has to be out of the question as he is still injured and hasn't yet joined in full training.
    Admittedly a long time ago and at a higher level than we now play, but the initial run he had in the team he wasn't nearly up to scratch. He wasn't helped by occasionally being lumbered with playing at left back, for which he showed even less capability. His best hope will be to return to something like full fitness, get a few runs out with the U23s and in the cowpat cup, or whatever it's called now, and if he suffers no reaction in the recovery from his serious groin issue, he could establish himself as first reserve behind Pearce and Bauer, if they're both still able and consistent then a loan out in January could get Harry's career restarted. Just as likely the mad belgian bungler will sell Pearce or Bauer in the next window leaving the incumbent manager with little option but to promote Harry. For those of you who have forgotten, roly considers all players equally capable and interchangeable unless tommy underpants decides they're no longer adequate and should be jettisoned, see Yann Kermorgant and Michael Morrison.
  • Addickted said:

What is the 10 position?

The new CAFC youtube advert is unveiled on Charlton Life, as members get to choose what part of the kama sutra would most appeal to taxi driving Spurs fans.
  • Surely we have to at least sign a keeper before the season starts!?
  • KR saying post Norwich that he wants a keeper and a winger. The coaching team are going to discuss Stewart tonight.
  • edited July 2017

KR saying post Norwich that he wants a keeper and a winger. The coaching team are going to discuss Stewart tonight.

Thought he said he needed 4 more?
  • I swear everytime KR is interviewed he takes off 1 player he wants in, it's gone from 4 to 2 in a week

Slade had the same habit. Hopefully KR just means 2 in before the season starts but he wants at least 4 more in total (like he said yesterday)
  • Sponsored links:

• KR saying post Norwich that he wants a keeper and a winger. The coaching team are going to discuss Stewart tonight.

And bloody striker you wally! ! Grrrrrrrr it's getting to much!!! If he can't see we need one or even 2 we are fecked! !!

That sounds fair if he's talking about before the first game of the season in 10 days time. There's still over a month until the transfer deadline closes, I'm sure we'll pick up a loan player or two in that period, especially as we currently only have 1.

• Valley11 said:

KR saying post Norwich that he wants a keeper and a winger. The coaching team are going to discuss Stewart tonight.

Thought he said he needed 4 more?
    Diane Abbott and Johnny Ball, spring to mind
  • Addickted said:

What is the 10 position?

I'll go for top right. But in all honestly, would settle for anything.
    Flag.
  • Solly won't play the whole season judging on how he's being nursed through pre-season. Hope Dijksteel is good enough, haven't seen him play yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Essex_Al said:

Solly won't play the whole season judging on how he's being nursed through pre-season. Hope Dijksteel is good enough, haven't seen him play yet.

He was excellent last night.
    Maybe he was but there is a world of difference between a pre season friendly and maybe having to play 30 league games in League One. Imo you need more experienced cover at RB. And left for that matter. At LB we have two players with about 30 league games between them and one of them is injured for a few months.
  • Maybe, but not forgetting he was our stand out player against quality opposition.
  • But this means player a promising youngster out of position. Not good for his development?
  • So many gaps in the squad where do you start.......

Keeper and striker should be a priority. With what we have and how Robinson wants to play goals are going to be hard to come by, unless things change my money's on us scoring less than 5 goals in August. Add to that we are light on keepers it's a recipe for disaister.

Same old same old, a few good players but woefully short by the first game.

• Nothing changes! He is naturally a midfielder but we are going to play him in the wrong position.

• Redrobo said:

Up front I would take a punt on Walsall's Amadou Bakayoko. Only 21 and 6' 4". Scored 10 goals in his first full season.

I think Robbo is thinking he can get Mivi from Arsenal on loan mid August and he can cover the wing and the striker role if we need two up front to nick a goal.

If big Mag gets injured I think he would struggle up front on his own. The above would be my choice for direct cover for big Mag which is what I think we need.

Any other realistic players we could go for?