Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

French elections

Comments

• Options
    I'm shocked to learn from this thread that you can only live and work in France because of the EU.

Does this 'fact' mean that I wont be able to live and work in France after Brexit?

#bullshitfacts
  • Options

What is amazing is since west's post champagne corks have stopped popping.

That's because we drank it all last night.

• Options

What is amazing is since west's post champagne corks have stopped popping.

That's because we drank it all last night.

Lol we both know why
  • Options
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I live here and voted Mélenchon in the first round. For the second round I was one of the 39% who abstained or spoilt the ballot paper. Whilst the racist policies of Le Pen (much in evidence in the few towns where the FN hold power) would have been a disaster, the neo-liberal, pro-Europe, pro-business policies of Macron will be even worse. There is no humanity in being racist; but neither is there in tearing up social contracts and the 'Code de Travail' that workers have fought for over hundreds of years, and ultimately putting more people below the poverty line - of which there are 4/5 million.

In the first round the majority voted for parties that wanted either to leave the EU or severely curb it's powers. We've ended up with pro-Europe, pro-multinational Macron, and it will be a disaster; even more so than the five years of Hollande. Mcron will be Merkel's poodle... as Le Pen said, a woman will win the election: her or Merkel.

So, last night, I was very non-plussed by the result (it was widely predicted anyway)... a very sad day for France.

Macron is already talking about writing his wife into the constitution as first lady (so Fillon's fictive employment of his family continues in a different vain); and he's already taken an oligarchical stance. This is the man that ate his way through nearly 150,000 euros a month at Bercy while he was (the unelected) minister of the economy.

In the end, he got 65% of votes from 60% of the electorate - nobody actually wanted him, and the majority of his votes came from people not wanting Le Pen.

He's very much the president nobody wanted. If the opportunist Bayrou is ppointed to his government then the country really is f***ed

Interesting post and great to share your real life experiences, and say how it is. You will get shot down by people who dont live there though.
    To be fair the people who DO live there voted 66% to 33% for the Macron
    I'm waiting for @Red_in_SE8 to tell us that only 49% voted Macron
    I make it that Macron won the vote of just under 43% of the registered voters. In the Brexit world 37% of registered voters = 'massive expression of the the will of the people'.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I'm not in the least bit worried what this means for Britain and a post Brexit deal, because on June 9th Teresa May will have a clear mandate to get the best possible deal and David Davis and Liam Fox will swing into action like Botaka and Lloyd Sam (by that I mean all fart and no shit).

From June 9th onwards, Macron and the 26 other EU heads of state, together with the commission will see what it's like to come up against a bloody difficult woman who will lead every single one of us into a bright new dawn and greater tomorrow.......

deja vu.

I've already been lead into a bright new tomorrow by a difficult woman. That didn't turn out too well.

Thinking about it, it's happened to me more than once.

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Didn't we have the exact same argument of "but only x percent voted so really no-one liked the result" about Brexit?

Looks like the same argument to me, with sides reversed.

Funnily enough, with the exact same people who whinged about those who pointed out this fact about Brexit now using the same argument.

Beyond parody.
    I've not seen anyone arguing with the result of the French election, only the way it's being interpreted on here.

I personally have no opinion on French politics, I was just curious to know why so many people had so much knowledge on the two candidates, but not to worry.
  • Options

Just seen him on the news. Didn't realise he was a short arse like Hollande. What is it with the Frogs and chippy lil fellas? Only De Gaulle was a strapping six footer...

Napoleonic complex
    Napoleon was taller than I am. And if anyone disagrees, I'll fight ya.
  • Options

I live here and voted Mélenchon in the first round. For the second round I was one of the 39% who abstained or spoilt the ballot paper. Whilst the racist policies of Le Pen (much in evidence in the few towns where the FN hold power) would have been a disaster, the neo-liberal, pro-Europe, pro-business policies of Macron will be even worse. There is no humanity in being racist; but neither is there in tearing up social contracts and the 'Code de Travail' that workers have fought for over hundreds of years, and ultimately putting more people below the poverty line - of which there are 4/5 million.

In the first round the majority voted for parties that wanted either to leave the EU or severely curb it's powers. We've ended up with pro-Europe, pro-multinational Macron, and it will be a disaster; even more so than the five years of Hollande. Mcron will be Merkel's poodle... as Le Pen said, a woman will win the election: her or Merkel.

So, last night, I was very non-plussed by the result (it was widely predicted anyway)... a very sad day for France.

Macron is already talking about writing his wife into the constitution as first lady (so Fillon's fictive employment of his family continues in a different vain); and he's already taken an oligarchical stance. This is the man that ate his way through nearly 150,000 euros a month at Bercy while he was (the unelected) minister of the economy.

In the end, he got 65% of votes from 60% of the electorate - nobody actually wanted him, and the majority of his votes came from people not wanting Le Pen.

He's very much the president nobody wanted. If the opportunist Bayrou is ppointed to his government then the country really is f***ed

So, let's get this straight.

You're an Englishman living in France - presumably because of freedom of movement facilitated by the EU - and yet you sympathise with a virulently anti immigrant candidate who wants to quit the EU and probably send you back to SE London.

Righto.
    He clearly states he's no fan of Le Pen, he just thinks Macron will be worse for France.

You were pretty far from getting it straight at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why did the artist feel the need to write the country names on the dominoes?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Pomposity pistols require a certain heaviness of touch
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Didn't we have the exact same argument of "but only x percent voted so really no-one liked the result" about Brexit?

Funnily enough, with the exact same people who whinged about those who pointed out this fact about Brexit now using the same argument.

Beyond parody.
    I've not seen anyone arguing with the result of the French election, only the way it's being interpreted on here.

I personally have no opinion on French politics, I was just curious to know why so many people had so much knowledge on the two candidates, but not to worry.
    That's funny because I recall you giving an opinion and quite a strong one, that there might well be a Frexit within 5 years. I should have bet you.

So was I, am I wrong to consider you a Le Pen sympathiser? You asked, and I gave you my reasons for that, which I hope were provided without rancour or prejudice, but you never came back to me on that. You didn't like the word 'sympathiser' but I intended it as much more mild than "supporter". I am definitely a supporter of Macron, for example. Europe (inc. UK) needs more bold centre-politics young people like him, IMHO. Le Pen manifesto seems to me to be more your cup of tea and I can see why it might appeal to quite a few on here; just don't think you can separate the manifesto from the leader and her background.

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Beyond parody.
    Bloody CL cliché

• Options
    At least 141 people were arrested in Paris during an “anti-capitalist” demonstration that took place following Emmanuel Macron’s victory in the French presidential election on Sunday evening

must of been all those angry racist french voters;

correct me if im wrong but isnt this also the gimps that go around london with guy fawkes masks on?
  • Options

You're an Englishman living in France - presumably because of freedom of movement facilitated by the EU - and yet you sympathise with a virulently anti immigrant candidate who wants to quit the EU and probably send you back to SE London.

Righto.
    He clearly states he's no fan of Le Pen, he just thinks Macron will be worse for France.

Actually, I have looked back as far as page 4, and cannot find where @i_b_b_o_r_g wrote either of those things. Unless I have not gone back far enough, it seems you are as guilty of your own inference as you say @Ormiston Addick is.

The only way to settle this is to hear from the man himself...

:-)
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Beyond parody.

That's funny because I recall you giving an opinion and quite a strong one, that there might well be a Frexit within 5 years. I should have bet you.

So was I, am I wrong to consider you a Le Pen sympathiser? You asked, and I gave you my reasons for that, which I hope were provided without rancour or prejudice, but you never came back to me on that. You didn't like the word 'sympathiser' but I intended it as much more mild than "supporter". I am definitely a supporter of Macron, for example. Europe (inc. UK) needs more bold centre-politics young people like him, IMHO. Le Pen manifesto seems to me to be more your cup of tea and I can see why it might appeal to quite a few on here; just don't think you can separate the manifesto from the leader and her background.

I still think there will be a EU in / out vote within 5 years. I don't have an opinion on what way it should go though.

Regarding the rest, it usually feels like we go round in circles debating with you if I'm honest mate and I don't have the time or inclination for it
  • Options

Righto.

Actually, I have looked back as far as page 4, and cannot find where @i_b_b_o_r_g wrote either of those things. Unless I have not gone back far enough, it seems you are as guilty of your own inference as you say @Ormiston Addick is.

Ormiston weren't referring to me, he was referring to Mark West.

Must look harder old chap
  • Options
    Very poor form by The Sun. Any self-respecting dirt rag would have led on "Truth About George Arrest In Loo" and relegated the 118 scandal to a side column.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Righto.

Ormiston weren't referring to me, he was referring to Mark West.

Must look harder old chap

Beg everyone's pardon, I completely misread that.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Was he not sure about Spain and Denmark then?

• Options
    edited May 2017

Fiiish said:

Beyond parody.

No one disputed the fact that Leave won the vote either, again just the way it was being interpreted e.g. will of the people, huge win, victory for democracy and freedom, Remainers need to shut up etc.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Fiiish said:

Was he not sure about Spain and Denmark then?

Have the ones he has written on already rejected anti-EU candidates, whereas the others are yet to do so?
  • Options

At least 141 people were arrested in Paris during an “anti-capitalist” demonstration that took place following Emmanuel Macron’s victory in the French presidential election on Sunday evening

must of been all those angry racist french voters;

correct me if im wrong but isnt this also the gimps that go around london with guy fawkes masks on?

I would think the gimps would wear gimp masks?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Low turnout and very high percentage of abstentions too. Didn't even know they could do that.

There is no denying that it was a lower turnout than normal in France. Research suggests that approximately 1/3 of the Melenchon vote in the first round abstained - he refused to back Macron against Le Pen. He secured around 19% in the first round - 1/3 of his support equates to around 2.5 million voters. Quite simply there were many who did not like the final choice of candidates.

However the number of abstentions matters not, for Macron will only secure a mandate and a workable situation in the "third round" in June. And this is much, much harder to call - just under 600 elected to the legislature.

There won't be any real clarity until polls show a pattern in early June.
  • Options
    Good socialist credentials from Macron.
    Earned $3.5 million whilst working for those lovely bunch of bankers, Rothschilds.
  • Options
    Who said Macron had good socialist credentials?