Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

French elections

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

MrOneLung said:

Low turnout and very high percentage of abstentions too. Didn't even know they could do that.

72%. Low turnout? I'll come back to that on June 9...

They are, apparently, allowed to submit "none of the above" on their voting papers

I love that, it's so beautifully French. The act of being civically engaged just so that you can clearly say "no thank you."
    It's like a galluc shrug in vote form.
  • Options
    Voted in Corse Sud today.

Vive la Republic
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Low turnout and very high percentage of abstentions too. Didn't even know they could do that.

72%. Low turnout? I'll come back to that on June 9...

They are, apparently, allowed to submit "none of the above" on their voting papers

Sorry meant for France.

Lowest for over 50 years.
  • Options
    Great for France, not so great for us
  • Options

Indulge me. How would a Le Pen win be better for Britain?
  • Options

Yes a neo-Fascist would have been a much better result for Brexit Britain, wouldn't it?

Deary me.

• Options
    edited May 2017

Yes a neo-Fascist would have been a much better result for Brexit Britain, wouldn't it?

Deary me.

Le Pen victory would have accelerated disintegration of EU and given UK a clear first mover advantage and reinvigorated our 'safe haven' status.

With French and likely German electorate too voting for pro-EU candidates, makes Brexit negotiations tougher than they already were.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

J BLOCK said:

Gutted

Really? You're down with having headscarves and Yarmulkes banned? Because western Europe has done similar things before, you know...
    I agree with freedom of religious expression broadly but the UK could learn a lot from France's clear separation of church and state especially in education.

The UK is a relatively secular country yet millions of non-believers have to pretend to be otherwise to secure places for their kids in the best schools.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just out of interest, what was it in Le Pen's manifesto that everyone on here disagreed with so much?

And what is it that makes Macron the best person to run France?
  • Options
    Macron as someone who's relatively business friendly, looks like someone who's interested in getting the right results (e.g. with Brexit) rather than someone with political vendettas
  • Options

Just out of interest, what was it in Le Pen's manifesto that everyone on here disagreed with so much?

To answer that, we have to start with some clarity about what her manifesto actually is. Perhaps you, as a sympathizer, can help us:

1. What is her policy on France and the Euro?

2. Does she actually want Frexit or not?

I am not clear about either. Looking forward to your guidance...
  • Options
    @i_b_b_o_r_g

But oné manifesto commitment which I think is absolutely ludicrous is to lower the pension age to 60. This shows somebody who is either cynically buying votes with no intention of sticking to her promise, or someone who really has no grip on how the world has changed. We live longer and healthier. I'm well over 60 now and have no idea when I would wish to stop working.

Lets indeed chew over other aspects of her manifesto; good idea; while bearing in mind that politicians have in the past made manifesto promises to gain power and then do other things no one expected.
  • Options
    To add to @JollyRobin 's excellent analysis above:

- Referendum on anything proposed by 500,000 citizens or more. If adopted in the UK this would have meant a referendum on such things as declaring war on Iraq (fine in principle, but not in practice re military action of any kind) and whether to invite Trump for an official UK visit.

- leave NATO's integrated command

- 10% employer tax on hiring foreigners.

You also of course cannot judge a politician on the manifesto alone, but you asked the question in narrow terms, so for now I won't go into the wider issues of Le Pen, her history, and her supporters both domestic and international, which would all bring bad things to the continent.
  • Options
    6 ways Macron re-wrote the playbook of European politics

Good read this, taking understanding of his victory beyond the narrow "manifesto" question
  • Options
    1 in 9 or 4 million choose none of the above, when you take out those that felt it a duty to vote against a fascist, this number would have been much higher. Have we ever lived in more disenfranchised times?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread is getting much too cerebral...

How about a couple of would yas? Le Pen and/or Mrs Macron?
  • Options
    I live here and voted Mélenchon in the first round. For the second round I was one of the 39% who abstained or spoilt the ballot paper. Whilst the racist policies of Le Pen (much in evidence in the few towns where the FN hold power) would have been a disaster, the neo-liberal, pro-Europe, pro-business policies of Macron will be even worse. There is no humanity in being racist; but neither is there in tearing up social contracts and the 'Code de Travail' that workers have fought for over hundreds of years, and ultimately putting more people below the poverty line - of which there are 4/5 million.

In the first round the majority voted for parties that wanted either to leave the EU or severely curb it's powers. We've ended up with pro-Europe, pro-multinational Macron, and it will be a disaster; even more so than the five years of Hollande. Mcron will be Merkel's poodle... as Le Pen said, a woman will win the election: her or Merkel.

So, last night, I was very non-plussed by the result (it was widely predicted anyway)... a very sad day for France.

Macron is already talking about writing his wife into the constitution as first lady (so Fillon's fictive employment of his family continues in a different vain); and he's already taken an oligarchical stance. This is the man that ate his way through nearly 150,000 euros a month at Bercy while he was (the unelected) minister of the economy.

In the end, he got 65% of votes from 60% of the electorate - nobody actually wanted him, and the majority of his votes came from people not wanting Le Pen.

He's very much the president nobody wanted. If the opportunist Bayrou is ppointed to his government then the country really is f***ed

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Ineresting post @Mark_West49 .

You wrote:

In the end, he got 65% of votes from 60% of the electorate - nobody actually wanted him, and the majority of his votes came from people not wanting Le Pen.

This tweet summarises the counter-argument

I assume that you have French citizenship. May I ask how long you have had it, and do you have dual? How difficult was the test? (just interested as I plan to take dual citizenship, nothing to do with your views on the election)
  • Options

I live here and voted Mélenchon in the first round. For the second round I was one of the 39% who abstained or spoilt the ballot paper. Whilst the racist policies of Le Pen (much in evidence in the few towns where the FN hold power) would have been a disaster, the neo-liberal, pro-Europe, pro-business policies of Macron will be even worse. There is no humanity in being racist; but neither is there in tearing up social contracts and the 'Code de Travail' that workers have fought for over hundreds of years, and ultimately putting more people below the poverty line - of which there are 4/5 million.

In the first round the majority voted for parties that wanted either to leave the EU or severely curb it's powers. We've ended up with pro-Europe, pro-multinational Macron, and it will be a disaster; even more so than the five years of Hollande. Mcron will be Merkel's poodle... as Le Pen said, a woman will win the election: her or Merkel.

So, last night, I was very non-plussed by the result (it was widely predicted anyway)... a very sad day for France.

Macron is already talking about writing his wife into the constitution as first lady (so Fillon's fictive employment of his family continues in a different vain); and he's already taken an oligarchical stance. This is the man that ate his way through nearly 150,000 euros a month at Bercy while he was (the unelected) minister of the economy.

He's very much the president nobody wanted. If the opportunist Bayrou is ppointed to his government then the country really is f***ed

So, let's get this straight.

You're an Englishman living in France - presumably because of freedom of movement facilitated by the EU - and yet you sympathise with a virulently anti immigrant candidate who wants to quit the EU and probably send you back to SE London.

Righto.
  • Options

To answer that, we have to start with some clarity about what her manifesto actually is. Perhaps you, as a sympathizer, can help us:

I weren't bothered either way mate, as it ain't my Country which is also why I haven't commented on this thread either way. So it would be great if you could let me know why you think I'm a "sympathizer"? (sympathizer pmsl)

It interests me that, when over 35 million French people either couldn't make their minds up, or couldn't be bothered, how people on here have such a clear opinion.

It's simply a question mate, not looking for you, or any of your back-up to attack me, if that's okay.
  • Options

So, let's get this straight.

You're an Englishman living in France - presumably because of freedom of movement facilitated by the EU - and yet you sympathise with a virulently anti immigrant candidate who wants to quit the EU and probably send you back to SE London.

Righto.
    Funniest post on the thread, well done Ormio pmsl
  • Options

I weren't bothered either way mate, as it ain't my Country which is also why I haven't commented on this thread either way. So it would be great if you could let me know why you think I'm a "sympathizer"? (sympathizer pmsl)

It interests me that, when over 35 million French people either couldn't make their minds up, or couldn't be bothered, how people on here have such a clear opinion.

It's simply a question mate, not looking for you, or any of your back-up to attack me, if that's okay.
    Well said
  • Options

Interesting post and great to share your real life experiences, and say how it is. You will get shot down by people who dont live there though.