Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

He had quite a number of valid reasons for supporting them.....around three million as a matter of fact!

Not really. There is £4.4m owed to six other former directors and they are not represented on the board, while the decisions made under this regime have reduced rather than enhanced the chance of any of them getting their money back.

While I'm sure RM would like his £2.6m back I don't believe for a minute that's his main motivation.
    Forgive me, I've not read the latest VOTV so am slightly confused.

Is this an approach from a third party to Duchatelet, resulting in Duchatelet hiring Keith Harris to advise, or, is it Duchatelet hiring Harris to help him sell the club?
  • Options

This focus on KM is misplaced. She is obviously a very capable, although inexperienced, woman with many attributes that many businesses would be very happy to have on board. She was only appointed to the role because of some personal/family connection. The one appointment that RD got wrong, again and again, and the one that really scuppered his network model idea of running several football clubs in European leagues by recycling players and managers around, is that of first team head coach. If he had committed to hiring top tier experienced head coaches, from Europe or the UK, with a successful track record who could bring in their own coaching, medical and support staff, I feel sure his experience of owning Charlton would not have turned into such a nightmare. RD is solely to blame for those appointments. If he had appointed a proper football CEO with football experience you could apportion some of the blame to that CEO. The major damage to Charlton over the last 4 years has been the result of shit football manager appointments (jury still out on Robinson) not an inexperienced CEO.

Fortunately, a professional football club is not like other businesses. You can't do a "Ratners" on a football club. Much damage has been done to the 'Charlton' brand over the last 4 years or so but the fact remains they are still a professional football club in the third tier of the English football leagues, two promotions away from the Premiership, owning their own Premiership ready stadium and a Premiership standard training ground, with a hardcore fan base (although admittedly severely reduced), located in a part of London that will benefit from improved transport links and many new homes in the near future.

You might want to have a word with the ex-sponsors, former fans' forum members and staff who have quit about how good KM is as a chief executive. The way those people have been treated is not down to RD, or to her inexperience. And in fact she's had more involvement in the football side than any previous chief exec bar none.
    Fair enough. I did not say she was a good football CEO. But in my 50 odd years of following Charlton, like the vast majority of Charlton supporters, I have never been to a fans forum meeting or a sponsors do or attended any kind of Charlton event either at the ground or elsewhere. The only thing that has ever mattered is what kind of football is played and the results achieved on the pitch.
  • Options
    We just don't really want you here
  • Options

He had quite a number of valid reasons for supporting them.....around three million as a matter of fact!

Not really. There is £4.4m owed to six other former directors and they are not represented on the board, while the decisions made under this regime have reduced rather than enhanced the chance of any of them getting their money back.

While I'm sure RM would like his £2.6m back I don't believe for a minute that's his main motivation.

Is this an approach from a third party to Duchatelet, resulting in Duchatelet hiring Keith Harris to advise, or, is it Duchatelet hiring Harris to help him sell the club?
    Harris is tasked with brokering a deal. Enquiries are referred to him.
  • Options

Brokering a deal on who’s behalf?
    AFC or duchatelet?
  • Options

Well its an improvement from the Carney debacle when enquiries were sent to KM who chose to ignore them.
    BoE takeover on the card? nice!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My baddd....
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

AFC or duchatelet?
    RD I assume, he's carried out similar roles for other clubs - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sunderland-in-takeover-talks-cqgztkwq2
  • Options

This focus on KM is misplaced. She is obviously a very capable, although inexperienced, woman with many attributes that many businesses would be very happy to have on board. She was only appointed to the role because of some personal/family connection. The one appointment that RD got wrong, again and again, and the one that really scuppered his network model idea of running several football clubs in European leagues by recycling players and managers around, is that of first team head coach. If he had committed to hiring top tier experienced head coaches, from Europe or the UK, with a successful track record who could bring in their own coaching, medical and support staff, I feel sure his experience of owning Charlton would not have turned into such a nightmare. RD is solely to blame for those appointments. If he had appointed a proper football CEO with football experience you could apportion some of the blame to that CEO. The major damage to Charlton over the last 4 years has been the result of shit football manager appointments (jury still out on Robinson) not an inexperienced CEO.

Fortunately, a professional football club is not like other businesses. You can't do a "Ratners" on a football club. Much damage has been done to the 'Charlton' brand over the last 4 years or so but the fact remains they are still a professional football club in the third tier of the English football leagues, two promotions away from the Premiership, owning their own Premiership ready stadium and a Premiership standard training ground, with a hardcore fan base (although admittedly severely reduced), located in a part of London that will benefit from improved transport links and many new homes in the near future.

You might want to have a word with the ex-sponsors, former fans' forum members and staff who have quit about how good KM is as a chief executive. The way those people have been treated is not down to RD, or to her inexperience. And in fact she's had more involvement in the football side than any previous chief exec bar none.
    Fair enough. I did not say she was a good football CEO. But in my 50 odd years of following Charlton, like the vast majority of Charlton supporters, I have never been to a fans forum meeting or a sponsors do or attended any kind of Charlton event either at the ground or elsewhere. The only thing that has ever mattered is what kind of football is played and the results achieved on the pitch.
    I still firmly believe her words and actions have wound fans up to the extent it's left the relationship untenable.

I mean things have been the best on the pitch for a longtime. Some fans still boycotting and why? Because of the previous mistakes. After the appointments of Slade and Robinson, I could have forgiven RD and given him a chance. Same cannot be said for Meire because she constantly put her foot in it and showed such disrespect to the club and us fans.

I realise they both have in different ways. RD is clearly a successful businessman but his experiment in football failed. Meire also an intelligent woman, but you wouldn't have thought it.

As with your comments regarding the on pitch results being the most important thing, I get that, hence why I would give RD another chance based on our progress over the last year. I could never extend that to Meire.

Off the pitch stuff is certainly important, it can determine a clubs future so I would and could never purely focus on the League table.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
  • Options
    seth plum said:

There is very little evidence to suggest that Meire is an intelligent woman.

She has reasonably impressive qualifications, and has managed to con Roland for years, I would say she's intelligent and has worked her magic on a man aswell as any other woman I know!
  • Options
    Scoham said:

sammy391 said:

AFC or duchatelet?
    RD I assume, he's carried out similar roles for other clubs - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sunderland-in-takeover-talks-cqgztkwq2
    That’s what I thought, however I know that Harris was working with/for AFC?
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

Another thought from me....

I always look for the Parkes and KM in the away area of the Directors' Box at games and usually they're quite easily spotted .

However, although there were few opportunities to seek them out during Saturday's end to end stuff, I couldn't see them.

Unless anyone else picked them out, I'm wondering whether our CEO's interest in our club is on the wane due to her impending divorce from CAFC.

Negotiating 24/7 with bidders over the weekend, so couldn't make it...

... would be a nice explanation.
    F*** me! Would you really let that (tw) individual do any of your negotiating? We're talking about a football club here, not Moules Mariniere and a bottle of Trappist brew!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

seth plum said:

She has reasonably impressive qualifications, and has managed to con Roland for years, I would say she's intelligent and has worked her magic on a man aswell as any other woman I know!
    History is littered with clever people being stupid. Katrien has been shit, but it's not because she is stupid or a women who has used her charms to get above her station. Referencing women's sex appeal does a disservice to women and men in equal measure, I reckon. Roland's is probably on the spectrum, and as such would find 'charm' a foreign language anyway.
    I never mentioned anything about her sex appeal, I merely stated she has conned Roland. Based on her incompetence and the question as to how and why she is still our CEO, it's probably the greatest mystery of our recent history.

But yes she is certainly an intelligent woman who has acted stupid almost beyond belief.
  • Options

Where is this goodwill towards KM coming from?
    She has created damage to the club and fan base. It cannot be repaired until she is gone.

Discussing who is worse out of Roland and Meire is hardly giving her any goodwill.

But your point about the damage caused is why I will always detest her more than Roland.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

She seems to have a very acute sense of entitlement that overshadows any other qualities she might have
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I have got a Lewisham Schools Swimming certificate from 1964 for fifty yards (second class), a very impressive qualification, yet I would not have initiated an important and significant meeting with fans by showing a power point presentation that would have been a GCSE fail in any school in the land.
    Yet despite that, she's pulled the wool over Roland's eyes and still holds that very job for which she delivered said PowerPoint.

I would say the fact she still maintains that job (hopefully not for long), on a very nice wage I would imagine, has been some stroke of genius.
  • Options

What a load of rubbish.

If squirrel face had the morals and principles of Mel Baroni she would have f***** off long ago.
    In the greater scheme of things I couldn't give a toss about her morals or principles or what she may or may not have said to upset sponsors and fan forum meetings. The most offensive thing about this regime is the shit and losing football that has been delivered by the incompetent coaches they have employed.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!