Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• I think we should all just accept that the club's not for sale, they have learnt from their mistakes, whoever they pick as manager is the right man who we all need to give a chance to for at least the next two transfer windows.

Stop moaning, stop protesting and support the club as it could be worse.

Is that your opinion as spokesman for the TRUST? ;)
  • If I win the euro lottery, I will make Roly an offer for the ground. I wouldn't buy the club as that would be Spunking money away, but at least securing the ground would be a start.
  • I think we should all just accept that the club's not for sale, they have learnt from their mistakes, whoever they pick as manager is the right man who we all need to give a chance to for at least the next two transfer windows.

Stop moaning, stop protesting and support the club as it could be worse.

Unfortunately Henry there are still some supporters who think this
  • If I win the euro lottery, I will make Roly an offer for the ground. I wouldn't buy the club as that would be Spunking money away, but at least securing the ground would be a start.

I'd go halves and building work would commence immediately with the Directors box being relocated to the centre blocks of the top tier of The Covered End about halfway down. ;)
  • I worked for a company that sold out to a group of investors whose only interest was getting the monthly repayments on the money invested.

It was a disaster.

Careful what you wish for.
  • I have "moved on" from the potential sale.

At this point it is too late in the year from regime change to get good players of any stripe in the transfer market, as deals are already coming into place. Even if announced today, it would take 2 weeks to make official and then new people coming in... we would not even be at square one by opening day.

Karl seems like he is staying and I don't see anyone better coming in at this late stage.

And, as awful as it sounds, I would rtaher have RD own the whole club than drain our life blood by keeping the stadium. At least if he owns it all, the losses belong to him.

I am now looking to next season and no longer thinking about a sale I don't think is going to happen, and even if it did, would be to Aussie owners who can't seem to scrape together enough cash tofund the purchase.
  • I believe that Duchatelet will hang on for at least another year. If we gain promotion the value of the club will rocket and if not, or we get relegated, that would probably also make him sell. The budget he gives Robinson will tell us a lot. I have heard a whisper that it could be quite a substantial sum but as I say, we will have to be patient.
  • Alternatively lack of movement generally and various rumours might be sign of something - who knows
  • Sponsored links:

• addick05 said:

I believe that Duchatelet will hang on for at least another year. If we gain promotion the value of the club will rocket and if not, or we get relegated, that would probably also make him sell. The budget he gives Robinson will tell us a lot. I have heard a whisper that it could be quite a substantial sum but as I say, we will have to be patient.

They have spent substantial sums before ......

On a complete crock of shite and led us to 13th in League One ffffs
    Exactly. Giving Driesen and Meire a significant sum is just the footballing equivalent of Harry Enfield's 'I saw you coming' sketch.
  • I reckon he's seen. The offers on the table but they don't meet his valuation. I reckon by Christmas when we are completely out of the promotion race he will see the light and start seriously speaking to parties.
  • edited May 2017
    I think there are less days ahead then are behind with RD. His valuation is like an ebay listing with a silly buy-it-now price; *RARE* South East London Football Club for sale! LAST ONE!

Hes put it on there in the hope that some idiot will come along desperate enough to pay that price which can happen, but once the listing has been on for a month and no one is biting, he will be forced to relist it for less. Then for even less the following month, and even less again.....

This is what will happen with Charlton and RD, hes going to sit on his silly price for the next few months, and at the same time the club will be costing him millions to keep running with no real return, especially with no Lookmans to sell. This will become increasingly uncomfortable for him especially if we dont look like we are going up next season.

I think this will take a good year to play out, but he will be forced to drop his price over and over, and if hes still here in a years time after another poor L1 season, his asking price will be dramatically lower. I cant see him being the owner much longer beyond that.

The worrying question is, will he still keep the Valley?
  • I reckon he's seen. The offers on the table but they don't meet his valuation. I reckon by Christmas when we are completely out of the promotion race he will see the light and start seriously speaking to parties.

People were saying that last year, and the year before
  • CAFCTrev said:

I think there are less days ahead then are behind with RD. His valuation is like an ebay listing with a silly buy-it-now price; *RARE* South East London Football Club for sale! LAST ONE!

Hes put it on there in the hope that some idiot will come along desperate enough to pay that price which can happen, but once the listing has been on for a month and no one is biting, he will be forced to relist it for less. Then for even less the following month, and even less again.....

This is what will happen with Charlton and RD, hes going to sit on his silly price for the next few months, and at the same time the club will be costing him millions to keep running with no real return, especially with no Lookmans to sell. This will become increasingly uncomfortable for him especially if we dont look like we are going up next season.

I think this will take a good year to play out, but he will be forced to drop his price over and over, and if hes still here in a years time after another poor L1 season, his asking price will be dramatically lower. I cant see him being the owner much longer beyond that.

That's the thing, he has Konsa and Aribo on the books, that should offset his losses for another year
  • Konsa and Aribo will go for a fraction of Lookman's fee.
  • We would all like to think that the lack of early business is a symptom of a regime change being close, but it is simply due to us being a basket case with a miniscule budget.
  • J BLOCK said:

CAFCTrev said:

That's the thing, he has Konsa and Aribo on the books, that should offset his losses for another year
    Would they though? Even combined they wouldnt get half of what Lookman cost.
  • So many people scratched records....
  • Sponsored links:

• i dont want to appear like a killjoy but isnt it about time this thread was closed
  • lolwray said:

i dont want to appear like a killjoy but isnt it about time this thread was closed

I was going to say the same thing. Wish it had been sunk already.
  • Well.......

My view is RD will sell or divert the owership to a third party by the time he's 75 anyway. In 4 years. His asking price is so high at present, that - given other factors - I can't see anyone investing in a UK club at the price he requires. There is absolutely no evidence that he will take any notice of protests locally or in Belgium. And on that point if we do end up being crashed out of the EU by Mrs May with no sensible arrangements (her intention, in my view) anyone with a UK passport will need to have a visa to visit the EU to protest about him and will have to pay for it in advance.

That leaves us with a max of 4 years under RD's control during which time my guess would be that Robinson or someone like him will remain/be our manager. It's not clear to me we'd mount a promotion challenge. Most likely we'd be in mid-table or slightly above. The club and the ground would at least remain under the same ownership - and should, of course, at all costs.

Last season, with all the draws and narrow odd goal defeats, was frustrating and uneven but if we'd only been able to be a bit more adventurous and our forwards hadn't been firing blanks the play-offs would have been entirely possible. We were only 12-13 points off them after all (so different results in maybe 8 games would have done it).
  • J BLOCK said:

CAFCTrev said:

Nowhere near the value of Lookman
    Yet ... also wasn't Lookman 7.5M ish up front? Not going to be a million miles away
  • Konsa and Aribo are worth less than half what was paid for Lookman
  • We might get 2-3 mil for Konsa and 1 mil for Aribo.

We would be stupid to sell either. Which means we will do so.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!