Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Should say I've not done any work at all to find out whether this is feasible or would increase capacity :blush:
  • msomerton said:

If Roland sells, then it must be to owners who can afford his price, and be able to fund losses of 8-9 million pounds a year for at least the next 4-5 years if they what to get the club into the premiership.

Ummmm.... we are already losing that much per year.

I don't know what drugs you are using, but Watford and Leicester lost £100 million to get to the PL. Brighton's owner spend £200 million to get there. Leeds has lost £60 million the last 4 years and is not there yet.

The fact... and it is a fact based on recent historical data... it will take many multiples of the club purchase price to get to the PL from where we are.

Which is why I am not for the Aussie takeover. If they are struggling to raise the money to buy the club, then they sure don't have the cash to get us promoted.

Red Bull, on the other hand, has two clubs that qualified for the Champions league this year. At least we would not have to worry about whether the owners are broke. And if the rumours of not buying the ground have ANY credibility, then add "stupid" to the list for the Aussie buyers, too.
    How much did Bournemouth spend to go through the divisions and to finish 8th in the PL?
  • If the ground was ever extended it would be The Jimmy Seed Stand.

As I understand it (probably way off) the plans that were previously submitted included plans for the East. I believe it involved making the current stand just seating (so removing the current corporate boxes) and adding a second smaller tier with just corporate boxes. Much more and better boxes than we currently have. From what I am led to believe our corporate boxes etc. are what we lackbwheb compared to other clubs of our size. The development also involved filling in the corners of the Jimmy seed end and a new Jimmy seed stand.

Edited because since my phone updated autocorrect seems unable to cancel out my day thumbs...
    I thought any plans to extend the East Stand disappeared when we sold the land in Landsdowne Mews & properties were built there. These properties would be effected if the East Stand got any bigger.
  • Best option for the east stand imo is to go for terraced safe standing in a lower tier with a second tier above which extends back to the perimeter. Would need to keep the concourse the same size as now for the increased capacity but would be Undercover.

Could reduce the very high take angle on both upper and lower tiers

I think the Covered end (North lower) is ideal for safe standing. The angle of it is already pretty flat. It's really not suited to seating I'm Chris Solly's height and I struggle for legroom there. It's also not a huge migration for the loudest fans to move from top tier to bottom and it maintains status as the covered end choir.
  • If the ground was ever extended it would be The Jimmy Seed Stand.

As I understand it (probably way off) the plans that were previously submitted included plans for the East. I believe it involved making the current stand just seating (so removing the current corporate boxes) and adding a second smaller tier with just corporate boxes. Much more and better boxes than we currently have. From what I am led to believe our corporate boxes etc. are what we lackbwheb compared to other clubs of our size. The development also involved filling in the corners of the Jimmy seed end and a new Jimmy seed stand.

Edited because since my phone updated autocorrect seems unable to cancel out my day thumbs...
    I thought any plans to extend the East Stand disappeared when we sold the land in Landsdowne Mews & properties were built there. These properties would be effected if the East Stand got any bigger.
    I expect you're correct!
  • Should say I've not done any work at all to find out whether this is feasible or would increase capacity :blush:

I read the first nine words and just assumed you were Katrien.
  • The plan was to extend both the East and Jimmy Seed stands to take the capacity to 40,600.

Interesting that Varney was talking about building flats at part of it.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/sport/ambitious-plan-to-expand-the-val-a16121/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2008/03/06/greenwich_cafc_feature.shtml
  • Scoham said:

The plan was to extend both the East and Jimmy Seed stands to take the capacity to 40,600.

Interesting that Varney was talking about building flats at part of it.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/sport/ambitious-plan-to-expand-the-val-a16121/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2008/03/06/greenwich_cafc_feature.shtml

Like a mini Old Trafford.

Similar approached adopted to the majority of signings under KM
  • Got to get out of this league first!
  • Sponsored links:

• msomerton said:

If Roland sells, then it must be to owners who can afford his price, and be able to fund losses of 8-9 million pounds a year for at least the next 4-5 years if they what to get the club into the premiership.

I don't know what drugs you are using, but Watford and Leicester lost £100 million to get to the PL. Brighton's owner spend £200 million to get there. Leeds has lost £60 million the last 4 years and is not there yet.

The fact... and it is a fact based on recent historical data... it will take many multiples of the club purchase price to get to the PL from where we are.

Which is why I am not for the Aussie takeover. If they are struggling to raise the money to buy the club, then they sure don't have the cash to get us promoted.

Red Bull, on the other hand, has two clubs that qualified for the Champions league this year. At least we would not have to worry about whether the owners are broke. And if the rumours of not buying the ground have ANY credibility, then add "stupid" to the list for the Aussie buyers, too.
    How much did Bournemouth spend to go through the divisions and to finish 8th in the PL?
    Quite a bit, ballpark estimate of about £50m. Russian millionaire Maxim Demin invested heavily in playing staff over a three year period or so.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

FFS how did this thread turn in to talking about ground expansion?? In our current state we only need a few fold up chairs and a chaise lounge!!!!
    Seeing the ground full for a charity match the other day really hurts as we'll never see that until RD is gone and the club starts to recover and get some forward momentum. For that reason alone I just want him gone, almost at any cost !

Interesting you mention chaise lounge, I started advertising for a trolley dolly and a fluffer some weeks ago, trouble is only some bloke called Nigel is the only responder.
  • msomerton said:

Well whatever it was it'll cost us much more because now you have to compete with relegated championship sides who've just picked up 100m the season before and are now getting 30m a year in parachute payments. I genuinely don't think we're too far off (say 2 more seasons) from the relegated clubs being the championship top 3 the following season.
  • msomerton said:

Well whatever it was it'll cost us much more because now you have to compete with relegated championship sides who've just picked up 100m the season before and are now getting 30m a year in parachute payments. I genuinely don't think we're too far off (say 2 more seasons) from the relegated clubs being the championship top 3 the following season.
    I dont think that has ever happened in the premiwrship era atleast. All three clubs that went down going bk up i mean
  • JiMMy 85 said:

msomerton said:

Quite a bit, ballpark estimate of about £50m. Russian millionaire Maxim Demin invested heavily in playing staff over a three year period or so.
    But unless you are a big club (as in huge) this is only sustainable as long as the owner pumps in cash with little hope of reward other than to his ego. As Blackburn, for example, show, once the cash dries up the fall is often as spectacular as the rise.
  • Getting back on track. Does no transfers or any solid rumours mean that Takeover talks are happening? Just asking.
  • dickplumb said:

Getting back on track. Does no transfers or any solid rumours mean that Takeover talks are happening? Just asking.

Some clubs reveal their free signings as soon as they sign a pre-contract agreement, we always seem to wait until July 1st like Matt Taylor, so we may have to wait until then to judge if this window has been as disappointing as all the rest under RD.
  • dickplumb said:

Getting back on track. Does no transfers or any solid rumours mean that Takeover talks are happening? Just asking.

IMHO no.

It could be but it doesn't mean it is. It's still early days, the play-offs haven't finished and lots of players and managers, including ours, are on holiday.

Some deals have been done and announced at other clubs but not many. In any case the current regime aren't very good and they also want and need to move players out before they start spending what is left of what is bound to be a reduced budget.

I'm not saying there is no takeover as I believe the club is up for sale and that there are interested parties.
  • I'm sure there would still be scope for a smaller extension to the East Stand if necessary. And there is definitely scope for rebuilding the JS stand. But realistically our current capacity is quite adequate for a club who realistically will never be permanent members of the top flight

Just as interesting as transfers in, are the transfers out, and what happens to the returning loaned out players. Ceballos seemed to do ok playing for STV in the Belgian top flight, could he do a job for us next season?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2017
    cfgs said:

dickplumb said:

Some clubs reveal their free signings as soon as they sign a pre-contract agreement, we always seem to wait until July 1st like Matt Taylor, so we may have to wait until then to judge if this window has been as disappointing as all the rest under RD.
    That year we announced Hollands and Pritchard at the end of May who both became free agents on 1st July.
  • I'm sure there would still be scope for a smaller extension to the East Stand if necessary. And there is definitely scope for rebuilding the JS stand. But realistically our current capacity is quite adequate for a club who realistically will never be permanent members of the top flight

Just as interesting as transfers in, are the transfers out, and what happens to the returning loaned out players. Ceballos seemed to do ok playing for STV in the Belgian top flight, could he do a job for us next season?

Yes, get him on corners.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

msomerton said:

- if he didn't change his name when he became the lead singer of a 70s glam rock band then hats of to his parents for calling him Maxim Denim
  • I believe the league managers had their do last night.
    Maybe that will have provided some impetus for something.
    I assume Karl Robinson would have been there.
  • FootballLeaguePaper‏Verified account @TheLeaguePaper 12m12 minutes ago
    More
    BREAKING: Harry Kewell has been appointed the new manager at Crawley Town.
  • Harry Kewell has been appointed the new manager at Crawley Town.

This is what the takeover thread has come to......
  • WE DO NOT NEED A BIGGER GROUND.
    STAY FOCUSED.
  • CAFCsayer said:

FAVADDICK said:

Would like to know where you have herd this from please just don't get people's hopes up what more do you know ??

Don't know anything else other than the fact that they are actively appointing London-based firms
    To do what? Analyse google searches? Verify the number of references to Murphy's name? Sell advertising on their one page website?
  • In other news... Cooks have ascertained that potatoes can be sliced into small strips and fried in oil. This discovery could realise a basic, yet satisfying snack.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!