Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited May 2017
    CAFCTrev said:

Scoham said:
    is it just me but Kentlive seem to be running a lot of Charlton stuff on line recently and a lot of it seems to be clickbait. Nothing new or substantial in that piece.
    Yeah Im thinking that too. They seemed to have interviewed Karl at the weekend, and theyve chopped it up and are dishing out chunks of it everyday to get more clicks.
    It's just the Sevenoaks Chronicle site rebranded. There is an obvious gap in the market for Charlton coverage as with the exception of the SLP there is no local paper following us. Cheap hits.
  • The trouble with fans owning the ground is what if all of a sudden there was a one off huge maintenance cost to be paid. I don't know maybe the foundations collapsed under one stand (extreme I know) but who pays it? Can hardly ask the fans to pay for that and unless there is some kind of agreement the club aren't responsible for it.

I guess best case the fans own the ground through the trust. The club use it for free but are responsible for all costs.... I dunno...

Insurance.
  • JamesSeed said:

The trouble with fans owning the ground is what if all of a sudden there was a one off huge maintenance cost to be paid. I don't know maybe the foundations collapsed under one stand (extreme I know) but who pays it? Can hardly ask the fans to pay for that and unless there is some kind of agreement the club aren't responsible for it.

I guess best case the fans own the ground through the trust. The club use it for free but are responsible for all costs.... I dunno...

Insurance.
    Sure but then the fans have to pay that ongoing cost. My point is fans could raise a one off sum in theory to own the ground but funding it going forward makes it impossible..
  • Fans own ground and lease it to club on a full repairing and insuring lease for 100years at, say 10K per annum. Club pays repairs, insurance, rates etc. Fans would simply have to pay accountancy fees for the company that owned it and pay someone to invoice the club once a quarter for 2.5K. Rent reviews every 25 years or so with fixed uplifts or uplifts linked to RPI with a cap/collar.

Quite easy but can't see RD ever selling it to us or fans raising Enough to buy it.
  • edited May 2017

JamesSeed said:

The trouble with fans owning the ground is what if all of a sudden there was a one off huge maintenance cost to be paid. I don't know maybe the foundations collapsed under one stand (extreme I know) but who pays it? Can hardly ask the fans to pay for that and unless there is some kind of agreement the club aren't responsible for it.

Insurance.
    Sure but then the fans have to pay that ongoing cost. My point is fans could raise a one off sum in theory to own the ground but funding it going forward makes it impossible..
    The fans buy the ground and lease it to the owner, who just has to maintain it.
    The lease could be a peppercorn rent. It could raise enough to cover the admin costs.
    (as above from @Athletico Charlton which I've just spotted). It's quite simple really.
    Now where's my calculator....
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Insurance.
    The lease could be a peppercorn rent. It could raise enough to cover the admin costs.
    (as above from @Athletico Charlton which I've just spotted). It's quite simple really.
    And what if the club says it's a bit short this month and doesn't pay the rent.

Or two months, a quarter, a year?

Do the fans evict the club?
  • JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Insurance.
    Would need 20,000 paying a grand each to get near to what Roland may want - which means anyone with serious money could put More in but would perhaps cause problems if a deal was not money making etc

Would be great to try it however
  • edited May 2017

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Insurance.
    And what if the club says it's a bit short this month and doesn't pay the rent.

Or two months, a quarter, a year?

Do the fans evict the club?
    Of course. And get a new one in.

And a peppercorn rent is a peppercorn rent. If they couldn't afford that, then they couldn't afford to generously provide free accommodation to the museum (thanks Katrien!), let alone pay the players wages.
  • Sponsored links:

• to be fair the value of the freehold, let to the club for say 100 years at a peppercorn would be relatively small as there is no reason for an investor to buy that (except the hope the club goes bust and forfeits the lease). So value wise it would likely be within fans reach if it was ever available. Issue is it would never be available as the current (or any future) owner would lose control of future alternative use of the stadium and destroy 'value' in their investment. Hence the only way it would work is if you had a benevolent/fans ownership who wanted to safeguard the future.
  • You could argue something like that is in place, the former director debt is secured on the freehold and has first call.

Also you can get a mortgage to buy a leasehold so no reason you can't run a business with that Lease as an asset.

Change of use should not even be contemplated with regard to our football clubs without fans consent anyway
  • edited May 2017
    If Murray wants to sort out his legacy a deal involving the fans and his former director debt might be opportune. Red and I approached one of the fomer directors about that debt way back when and were told it wasn't transferable, not sure I am convinced of that. Who in their right mind would agree to such a restrictive loan. Although of course that debt may not have been of significant value to the fans, it was interesting the response we got.
  • razil said:

You could argue something like that is in place, the former director debt is secured on the freehold and has first call.

Yes, that gives a little comfort although of course if any owner ever got planning then it would be very value accretive to pay that off so certainly not fail safe.

Also you can get a mortgage to buy a leasehold so no reason you can't run a business with that Lease as an asset.

Absolutely, as a football club it would make little difference to the running of the business.

Change of use should not even be contemplated with regard to our football clubs without fans consent anyway

I agree entirely. Not every owner will/would.
  • Stig said:

It's now a month since this story broke and so far (at least publicly) absolutely nothing has happened. Is anyone in a position to say with certainty what the situation is? Were the Aussies put off by Duchatelet's insistence on holding on to The Valley? Was the price to much? Did they simply not have sufficient funds? Did they discover that the club is such a mess it would be more trouble than it's worth? Or were the regime telling the truth all along and the story was nothing more than a load of old ethanoic-urine?

I seem to remember there were stories from people 'ITK' about strange comings and goings and about a special room being set up at The Valley to facilitate the due diligence process? Were these stories genuine or just flights of fancy from people desperate to believe that we'd be rescued by antipodean knights on white boomers? In particular April's edition of VoTV seemed particularly upbeat with its "For Sale" headline and the article "Roland's ready to sell up". Can we be sure this is the case? I'd love to believe it is, but the mix of hope and silence is driving me mad.

Wasn't it said that the room at the valley was actually for looking into the child abuse stuff?
  • Ahh, so if that's the case there's rather less substance to the Aussie story than I'd have hoped.
  • Not very hopeful of a deal being done now- think we're stuck with them for another season
  • Word is we're doomed.
  • I think we're stuck with him. Relegation battle next year
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we're stuck with him. Relegation battle next year

I'm not a supporter of the current regime but I do think we need to wait until the end of July before we think like that...
  • Another year without renewing my season ticket. Another year filled with rumours and bollocks. Another year of selling our best players. Another year of underachievement on the pitch. Another year of attempting to decipher what Robinson is saying over the tannoy system without a translator.. . .roll on August!
  • Stig said:

It's now a month since this story broke and so far (at least publicly) absolutely nothing has happened. Is anyone in a position to say with certainty what the situation is? Were the Aussies put off by Duchatelet's insistence on holding on to The Valley? Was the price to much? Did they simply not have sufficient funds? Did they discover that the club is such a mess it would be more trouble than it's worth? Or were the regime telling the truth all along and the story was nothing more than a load of old ethanoic-urine?

I seem to remember there were stories from people 'ITK' about strange comings and goings and about a special room being set up at The Valley to facilitate the due diligence process? Were these stories genuine or just flights of fancy from people desperate to believe that we'd be rescued by antipodean knights on white boomers? In particular April's edition of VoTV seemed particularly upbeat with its "For Sale" headline and the article "Roland's ready to sell up". Can we be sure this is the case? I'd love to believe it is, but the mix of hope and silence is driving me mad.

Rick confirmed that the special room was almost certainly to do with the child abuse investigation.

I think the Aussie consortium is genuine, but my best guess is they are struggling to come up with the necessary funds, which could be why the story was leaked.

Personally, I'm not happy with a takeover that would leave The Valley in the ownership of RD.
  • Stig said:

Rick confirmed that the special room was almost certainly to do with the child abuse investigation.

I think the Aussie consortium is genuine, but my best guess is they are struggling to come up with the necessary funds, which could be why the story was leaked.

Personally, I'm not happy with a takeover that would leave The Valley in the ownership of RD.
    Imperative that Duchatelet does not retain ownership of The Valley.
  • Chizz said:

cafc-west said:

I think we're stuck with him. Relegation battle next year

I'm not a supporter of the current regime but I do think we need to wait until the end of July before we think like that...
    Why? Do you think we will pick up a few points between now and then?
    Silly response. You know what I meant. We might actually strengthen... maybe unlikely but until the window slams shut we can't assume we'll be in a relegation fight - which was what the post implied.
  • cafc-west said:

Chizz said:

cafc-west said:

Silly response. You know what I meant. We might actually strengthen... maybe unlikely but until the window slams shut we can't assume we'll be in a relegation fight - which was what the post implied.
    But the transfer window won't shut until end August. So regime apologists will still have another month of hope come end July.
  • cafc-west said:

Chizz said:

cafc-west said:

Indeed but the only thing the regime has done in each of their full seasons in charge, is to ensure we finish lower each time.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!