Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited April 2017

I worry Roland is turning potential buyers off by having some stupid clause or kicker or he wants to keep the stadium, or some other low-class crap that he would not be above pulling.

I suspect the same, mate. Especially if Katrien's nonsense about the Jimmy Seed stand is anything to go by, i.e "it's a safety issue and we will have to do some work on it". Considering it's been confirmed that there's no safety issue, and she was simply lying, I wonder if she's laying the groundwork for some changes there.

Ultimately though, Roland has massively inflated the asking price for the club, and without The Valley we're an even less attractive proposition. Ideally he'd be looking to sell as he'd realise it's both an embarrassment (i.e CARD shenanigans) and a waste of money (i.e monthly losses). If that's the case, and he's genuinely trying to work on his exit strategy, then I'd like to imagine that he's hating every moment he's still involved here.

Not to mention, for the Aussie consortium it surely would've been a deal-breaker. If their eventual aim was to go for IPO, then you would've expected that they'd want the healthiest balance sheet possible - including all the assets they could get their hands on. Arguably our most valuable asset will be our property. (I'm not an accountant, but that's how I see it anyway!)
  • The deal probably collapsed when KM told them the Jimmy Seed stand was in a dangerous state.
  • "upwards of £40m". Doctor, doctor!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• If you carefully chart our progress by any measure (league position/revenue/attendance etc) since Roland put Ms Nightmeire in charge of the most disastrous sporting gap year in history, then we are ultimately headed for non-League football in front of crowds of a few hundred.

Logically, he has four options:

1. Sell now.
    2. Sell later for much less.
    3. Replace Ms Nightmeire with someone who has at least a superficial knowledge of how to run a whelk stall.
    4. Hang on to the bitter end just for the hell of it, in defiance of all logic.

Tragically only one of those seems to fit the facts. Maybe its time to campaign for Option 3 instead of Option 1 on the basis its better than 4.

I have been saying for sometime that we don't know enough about Duchatalet's character.
    Ok...we know he can be ruthless but (and this is a very significant question), can he also be vindictive?
    If he is......then we're quite possibly fucked!
  • colthe3rd said:
    'talk is said to be increasing...' - they've literally just been on here...
  • J BLOCK said:
    Won't let me on it now, let me straight on from Facebook. Didn't say all that much, main thing was the guy who is advising has links to Bolton but Charlton also mentioned. Said there was still a few clubs being looked at. 'Underachievers' who they could get back to the prem.
  • RD's continuing involvement with this club will be the death knell of the club. Happy days as we head off to a summer of rumour, conjecture, vain hope and eventual heartache!
  • edited April 2017
    If he wants to retain The Valley as part of any sale then that is maybe why KM seems so sure of staying out. She might be here to manage the ground and whatever else he builds on the site.

He needs to go but not in a way that he can still ruin the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm at the point where I'll only believe anything when it's on the official site. Even then, I won't be sure if it's true or not ...
  • I doubt RD would insist on keeping The Valley, it all depends on who is bidding and how much they are prepared to offer.

The Aussie consortium didn't sound terribly rich, maybe they couldn't afford the extra £10m (or whatever) RD was asking for?
  • I doubt RD would insist on keeping The Valley, it all depends on who is bidding and how much they are prepared to offer.

The Aussie consortium didn't sound terribly rich, maybe they couldn't afford the extra £10m (or whatever) RD was asking for?

This Aussie consortium can't even afford to employ someone to write professional copy.
  • He is not holding onto the ground due to happy memories, so one assumes he has plans to develop part of it.

Given the nonsense Daisy is spouting one would guess it involves the south end of the ground. Is there anyway we could find out if the plannind department has a view as to if that would be possible?
  • J BLOCK said:
    HAWTHORN coach Alastair Clarkson is advising an Australian consortium plotting the takeover of a UK soccer club.

The four-time premiership coach has been in talks with Australian Football Consortium Ltd (AFC), which wants to buy an underperforming English team and take it to the Premier League.

The group, led by prominent management consultant Gerard Murphy, is undergoing a “confidential capital raise” with the aim of acquiring $55 million from investors.

Clarkson, who met with AFC directors before the start of the AFL season, has strong links with Bolton Wanderers — now in third-tier League One — and has helped facilitate introductions.

Clarkson’s experience in building a club from the ground up has also enticed him to the soccer project.

Socceroos great Mark Schwarzer and Australian national coach Ange Postecoglou are also part of an advisory group operating pro bono.

The consortium has appointed consultants Deloitte to do feasibility studies on six clubs, with beleaguered Charlton Athletic and Coventry City believed to be among them.

Murphy, who engineered Geelong’s leadership group overhaul in 2007 and has worked for Crystal Palace and the Rugby Football Union in England, said the goal was simple.

“We want to acquire a club and over time elevate it to the Premier League by putting in place best practice,” Murphy said.

“That includes everything from psychology, culture, coaching, analytics, management, match day; the whole thing.

“One of the things that’s really important is that we respect the history and tradition of the club. The supporters are part of the process, they’re key stakeholders and that’s absolutely vital from our perspective.

“We’re doing this to grow the club. We want to build a club and we want to invest heavily in the academy side of it.”

“There’s a whole number of clubs that have a huge amount of potential ... and there’s lots of fans who would be dying for someone to come in and take over and lead the club in the right direction and help the club get promoted through the various leagues and hopefully, ultimately the Premier League.”

The Australian Football Consortium website tells prospective investors that “attractive returns” are expected with promotion to the Premier League.

“The earnings profile of clubs increases dramatically as a result of lucrative media rights arrangements,” it says.

“Upon achieving Australian Football Consortium Ltd’s vision of promoting the club to the Premier League, all investors will share in the value created. It is envisaged that liquidity will be provided through an IPO (Initial Public Offering) at that stage.”
  • “We want to acquire a club and over time elevate it to the Premier League by putting in place best practice,” Murphy said.

“That includes everything from psychology, culture, coaching, analytics, management, match day; the whole thing.
    While there is obviously much to improve at Charlton at the moment, I'd be really surprised if the Aussies had unique insights that none of the other clubs, especially in the Championship, don't already have
  • serving fosters is about the closest to australian were gonna get,
  • edited April 2017

Just read this, makes some interesting thoughts in my opinion

Its on Blackheath Addick Blog

https://t.co/zHMCEY1D59

Completely missed that, and it's a pretty good assessment of the changes to the Aussie consortium's website.

You could take those changes to be directed at us, especially the part about listening to the fans - as if they were looking towards purchasing Charlton then no doubt they will have seen our reactions.

Interesting that they've removed the fundraising section too..

Edit: I've created an archive link for the AFC website - http://archive.is/mcbVn - which should help for comparisons if subsequent alterations are made. Not sure why I didn't think of that initially, it would've been handy to keep track of the changes to their site.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!