Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2018

bobmunro said:

J BLOCK said:

I just received a text backing up bobs info. Deal is/was days from completion but now probably weeks away.

Haven’t read last 3 pages so possibly old news but the reason for the delay? Australians suddenly became more interested at the start of the week and were even there Tuesday which was interesting as they were believed to have pulled out last week.

My mate knows nothing about the Aussie finances but doesn’t believe the McLeish consortium have the funding for a Prem push, more like debt consolidation with the hope of reaching the champ. Muir would be the man reducing the debt and McLeish would be more likely to be director of football than manager.

Also said he believes Roland mucked other parties about in favour of this one, possibly spite if they have the least money. But Aussies are still around but keeping a much lower profile than McLeish and Donald. The Aussies originally backing off probably resulted in McLeish showing his face believing the deal was done.

Fee of around 22mil plus repayable debt.

Mcleish bid looks shite, if, as someone else alluded too, there main backer has 400 million, I wouldn't be happy with that.
    400m is a massive sum of money, it's easy to get blase in this era of billionaires

RedChaser said:

Not sure how much money you would need in the short term. I think if you could sell Konsa for 4-5m and give it all to KR, we should be able to significantly strengthen with what we have!

Rumours of Everton sniffing around again from Louis Mendez on Charlton Live just now so RD will trouser any transfer fee for Konsa. That should mean a commensurate, plus any proceeds for Holmes, drop in the sale price. Whether new owners would allow a similar increasd spend in the restructuring of the squad is the question :open_mouth:
    All depends on how much Konsa's value is in the books. If it's say 500k and RD sells for 4m he can trouser 3.5m and knock 500k off the asking price.
    It doesn't work like that

For a start, as a home grown player Konsa's accounting book value will be zero. The purchasers (and selling advisers to RD) will have valued each player with a fair value which will be reflected in the price of the club. Sell that player, and gets taken off the price.
    Yes of course £400m is an insane amount of money, although a significant amount of that would be needed.

Also take into account that a net worth of £400m is likely made up of investments, property, and organisation value - a relatively small proportion of that wealth will be liquid assets available for further investment.

My boss is worth around £5 billion but if I asked her to write me a personal cheque for a tenth of that she wouldn’t be able to.

Would she like to buy a lovely little football club?
    I think she's got one (or her familly has) at Stoke City :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2018

bobmunro said:

J BLOCK said:

I just received a text backing up bobs info. Deal is/was days from completion but now probably weeks away.

Haven’t read last 3 pages so possibly old news but the reason for the delay? Australians suddenly became more interested at the start of the week and were even there Tuesday which was interesting as they were believed to have pulled out last week.

My mate knows nothing about the Aussie finances but doesn’t believe the McLeish consortium have the funding for a Prem push, more like debt consolidation with the hope of reaching the champ. Muir would be the man reducing the debt and McLeish would be more likely to be director of football than manager.

Also said he believes Roland mucked other parties about in favour of this one, possibly spite if they have the least money. But Aussies are still around but keeping a much lower profile than McLeish and Donald. The Aussies originally backing off probably resulted in McLeish showing his face believing the deal was done.

Mcleish bid looks shite, if, as someone else alluded too, there main backer has 400 million, I wouldn't be happy with that.
    400m is a massive sum of money, it's easy to get blase in this era of billionaires

RedChaser said:

Not sure how much money you would need in the short term. I think if you could sell Konsa for 4-5m and give it all to KR, we should be able to significantly strengthen with what we have!

Rumours of Everton sniffing around again from Louis Mendez on Charlton Live just now so RD will trouser any transfer fee for Konsa. That should mean a commensurate, plus any proceeds for Holmes, drop in the sale price. Whether new owners would allow a similar increasd spend in the restructuring of the squad is the question :open_mouth:
    All depends on how much Konsa's value is in the books. If it's say 500k and RD sells for 4m he can trouser 3.5m and knock 500k off the asking price.

For a start, as a home grown player Konsa's accounting book value will be zero. The purchasers (and selling advisers to RD) will have valued each player with a fair value which will be reflected in the price of the club. Sell that player, and gets taken off the price.
    Yes of course £400m is an insane amount of money, although a significant amount of that would be needed.

Also take into account that a net worth of £400m is likely made up of investments, property, and organisation value - a relatively small proportion of that wealth will be liquid assets available for further investment.

My boss is worth around £5 billion but if I asked her to write me a personal cheque for a tenth of that she wouldn’t be able to.

I would have convinced her of that a long time ago - trouble is she’s already got one!

• Options

FYI, on Sirius XMFC on the west coast, they are about to interview Johnny Jackson about the takeover. I will report back if anything interesting.

I'm amazed that anyone on the west coast of the USA (apart from you, Napa) is interested in our takeover!
  • Options

SDAddick said:

JamesSeed said:

I expect these potential purchasers are aware that RD is desperate to sell, so will be bidding low. Which is probably the only way to make the purchase even remotely viable.

OK so I'm nowhere near caught up on this thread.

But this desperation is what worries me. Because Slater and Jiminez were despera
    cabbles said:

This is what I can’t get my head round. Someone’s gonna pay £22m and about £30m worth of debt just to consolidate/pay that down and get us in the champ where we will likely rack up losses, maybe just marginally less.

Maybe I’m being too simplistic here but what’s the end game in that? I’m not digging you out at all here @cafcfan1990 just trying to work out the maths

Also I get the Muir apt at Rangers because it was Lloyd’s sending their man into look after/retrieve as much of their money that they could.

Buying us for £22m plus debt makes no sense at all to me

Buying us for £15-20m as a £1m a month loss making entity does make sense if you can afford to fund that and try and get in the prem to eventually recoup the money

Debt consolidation as a potential championship club just seems odd. To pay £50m for that investment is really baffling
    Agreed, and I have felt this way for a long, long time.

I fear any potential owner will:
    1) Not have enough money left over after the sale for the investment needed throughout the club (new SMT, training ground, playing staff, staff that have left and not been replaced under Roland)

2) Not understand the work and expenditure it will take to recoup their investment. I fear they'll be sold on "only 2-3 years until the Premier League" and not understand that that is both a risky strategy, and an incredibly complex one. Not to mention one that might see their expenditure double before we're even near the Premier League.
    I totally disagree. I feel that at least 2 or the bidders understand football a lot more than RD did. His model was to own a number of clubs & just move players around the "network" as & when they were needed. He had no interest in the clubs & left it all to flunkeys to run it.

My only fear at the moment is that the McLeish/Muir "bid" are working for RD & he drafted them in to be his "eyes & ears" & to tell him what players are worth selling in this window to reduce the debt. I hope not & hope they are working for 1 of the bidding consortium (or should that be consortia)

If the "£400m" bidders are to be believed then that would be ok in my book. As others have said, I'm not looking for Premiership glory - just get promoted to the Championship and then we can be playing "proper" derbies against sides that actually have a London postcode & against some of the big sides like Villa, Leeds & Forest instead of Rochdale, Oldham & Bury. That will do me.

I'm in no particular rush. I've already given up on this season (although I'll still be going to the Valley & to some aways) and as long as all the silver isn't sold off by Feb 1st then we live to fight another day & when July comes round, and the WC is over, I can turn up at Park View Road to see our shining new signings.
    I fear our existing owner - he doesn't give a flying f*ck about us or our club - anything is an upgrade on him. End of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Since the weekend there has been interest of one new party

How many is that now then? 4 potential known bidders?
    Roland will be rubbing his crusty hands together,a bidding war....
    I wouldn't put it past him to get his own new consortium together - and sell the club to himself. :

That's what he did with STVV in a roundabout way. The club was owned by the council, and he was chair of the council committee that approved the sale of STVV to a Mr R Duchatelet for about 500,000 euros, knocking about 3 million euros off the asking price in the process! Though to be fair, I think he did have to leave the council chamber while the vote took place, so he obviously had no influence over his colleagues' decision!!
  • Options

What a mess. This feels worse than perhaps at any stage before.

The darkest hour is often just before the dawn.
    All day long.

I have thought for a long time that Duchatelet will drop a bombshell on us. I am certain he will not go quietly.

It would not surprise me in the least if he still has some stranglehold on us when sold.

Never been interested in us, always been some ulterior motive.
  • Options

I am resolute to the fact that we are of no interest to big money men with a plan to get back to the premier league.
    If it was going to happen it would have happened years ago.

Get used to the fact that we will only ever attract Ill informed chancers that will saddle us with more and more debt and before long send us to the depths clubs like Hartlepool currently find themselves in.

Years ago you didn't get £120m for getting into the Premier League and massive payments if you dropped back out. I don't know the exact figures but I'm sure many investors with deep pockets might think it worth a try with a London based club in an increasingly desirable area and a ready made infrastructure.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    cafc-west said:

I am resolute to the fact that we are of no interest to big money men with a plan to get back to the premier league.

Get used to the fact that we will only ever attract Ill informed chancers that will saddle us with more and more debt and before long send us to the depths clubs like Hartlepool currently find themselves in.

Years ago you didn't get £120m for getting into the Premier League and massive payments if you dropped back out. I don't know the exact figures but I'm sure many investors with deep pockets might think it worth a try with a London based club in an increasingly desirable area and a ready made infrastructure.
    Years ago the fan base was already there. Look at it now! I actually think being in the capital puts us at an disadvantage in some respects. Look at the growth of Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea during that time. All the while we have been shrinking. To a new owner we are already on the back foot.

In a saturated market taking us on is a risk. And a very big one at that.
    Why did Jimenez and Slater have such big problems shifting us? And there was some serious money sloshing around then. They were idiotic I know and that has been well documented. But a sure thing would have flown off the shelf, wouldn't it? They literally had to go cap in hand to Duchatelet to offload us.
    I don't want to put a dampener on all this but am just facing up to the reality of what we've all been witness to for nigh on ten! years now.

I might be wrong and sincerely hope I am but history and the damage of the past few years tells me this more than likely won't be a happy ending.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

J BLOCK said:

RedChaser said:

I would have convinced her of that a long time ago - trouble is she’s already got one!

Darn. We're much cuddlier than Stoke, surely?
  • Options
    Maybe the trust she be gearing up for when we go into admin .....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafc-west said:

Years ago the fan base was already there. Look at it now! I actually think being in the capital puts us at an disadvantage in some respects. Look at the growth of Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea during that time. All the while we have been shrinking. To a new owner we are already on the back foot.

In a saturated market taking us on is a risk. And a very big one at that.
    Why did Jimenez and Slater have such big problems shifting us? And there was some serious money sloshing around then. They were idiotic I know and that has been well documented. But a sure thing would have flown off the shelf, wouldn't it? They literally had to go cap in hand to Duchatelet to offload us.
    I don't want to put a dampener on all this but am just facing up to the reality of what we've all been witness to for nigh on ten! years now.

I might be wrong and sincerely hope I am but history and the damage of the past few years tells me this more than likely won't be a happy ending.
    When you consider the massive debt that RD has now saddled the club with I think the long term future of this great club looks very bleak unless one of the following scenarios occurs within the next few years;

1) An ultra high net worth individual/group buys the club with a money no object attitude in getting us to the Premier League, completely wiping out the massive debt that RD has saddled us with in the process.

2) We go into administration, wipe out a large proportion of the debt and start again like other clubs have done previously.

I just can't see option 1 happening as like others have said previously, this just doesn't happen to Charlton. Option 2 probably won't happen whilst RD is still the owner as he will not want to put the club into administration and lose tens of millions in the process but I can see him selling to a new individual/group who will take on that debt and completely under estimate the money required to maintain a football club of our size outside the Premier League and the debt will just continue to grow. The administration scenario may well be the only option if we got to that stage.

All just my personal view obviously but I think the massive debt accrued by RD is going to be the downfall of the club unless that mega rich white knight comes riding over the hill!
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Heard that no one is getting near RD's asking price.

Fucking hell, this is really gonna drag if thats the case....Feel sorry for KR if im gonest, really hindering his job.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Blokes 71 years old ffs, you'd think he'd take the most sensible offer and go sit on a beach somewhere drinking cold lager

Never understand what motivates these people TBH. When you've got enough, look after the people you love and go off & enjoy it.
    You've have to be mad to want to go through all this.....
    You said it mlc.................without question, he displays some very significant sociopathic tendencies.
    Whether that actually makes one a sociopath or not is, I guess, debatable.
    At what stage a person is diagnosed as being an actual full blown sociopath I don’t know......but I assume there are different degrees?
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Fucking hell, this is really gonna drag if thats the case....Feel sorry for KR if im gonest, really hindering his job.
    Yes and no, he is in an awful position but he was warned about working for the mad old goat.
  • Options
    In a perverse sort of way I'd be happy to take administration if the club isn't sold this month and it meant that Roland lost all of his debt (bar, say, a penny in the pound). After all, he is the only person or company that we owe money too as he (Staprix) has been acting as the clubs banker (!). At least with new owners coming in and debts wiped out we could start with a clean slate. I think if that happened then a whole number of interested parties would come flying out of the woodwork, and try to snap up the club on the cheap. Roland may even recoup more of his initial investment (£14m) that way? If it happened this season, we probably have enough points to survive, and if it was next year, then we could do what Southampton did and catch and overtake everyone else over the course of the season. Not a nice thing to do but I'd take anything to get rid of that old man just now if it meant getting our club back.
  • Options
    If we cannot attract a seriously wealthy buyer, I do worry about the future. Yes, almost anyone would be an upgrade on RD, but the football business has moved on significantly in the past few years and Charlton are in danger of floating around the bottom tier ad infinitum if they don't get some solid investment. I don't see that being particularly attractive to a next generation of fans.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Redhenry said:

Yes and no, he is in an awful position but he was warned about working for the mad old goat.
    Yeah i get that, can imagine he walked into the job thinking ''it cant be that bad surely..''?

Found out the hard way it truly is!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!