Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Fleetwood - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

5 things we learnt from The Wharf. I wasn't there, seem a fair sum ?

http://www.wharf.co.uk/sport/5-things-learned-charltons-draw-12561374

Not sure about No.1 but otherwise yes, fair summary.
    'But one advantage of the loquacious manager is CEO Katrien Meire has seemingly been able to disappear into the shadows and not offend the supporters for a few weeks'

I'm a fan of Robinson but would argue that the word should have been garrulous, rather than loquacious?
  • Options
    BR3red said:

Many here blame decisions about the left back situation, bit of a broken record but Fox was never injured or sent off, 3 games in a row now since Fox left we are in trouble left side.

Jacko done his best but look at the root cause of all of this - we sold Fox.

Fox could never get there in time to get sent off :wink:
  • Options
    supaclive said:

We are currently averaging just under 1.5 points per game in 28 games and have averaged 1.5 points in our last six matches. Statistically in the long haul we haven't been good enough and neither in our famous, current unbeaten run.

There is just one play off place left up for grabs as the gap to fifth is ten more points.

We've averaged 2 points per game in the last 6. 3 wins & 3 draws = 12 points from 6 games. Automatic promotion form (in terms of points).
  • Options
    Note to James Seed.
    Despite having an A' Level in English I was unsure of the difference between Loquacious and Garrulous so googled both words.
    Loquacious =Garrulous Garrulous=Loquacious.So on this occasion the grammar police have charged someone for driving at 30 miles and hour in a 30 mile an hour limit area.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    timken said:

Note to James Seed.
    Despite having an A' Level in English I was unsure of the difference between Loquacious and Garrulous so googled both words.
    Loquacious =Garrulous Garrulous=Loquacious.So on this occasion the grammar police have charged someone for driving at 30 miles and hour in a 30 mile an hour limit area.

Ignore Google. Locquacious is a positive word to use, and implies excellent use of language. Garrulous implies that the use of language is annoying. Apologies for being a total pedant, but thought it ok when not criticising a board contributor but a newspaper article.
  • Options
    Leaving aside the sending off, Byrne contributed little in the second half, the red card was symptomatic of someone was was slightly off the pace. Botaka will be a straight replacement for him next Saturday
  • Options

The bit at the end re: KM made me chuckle. For me it's not that Robinson's loquaciousity (fuck knows if that's even the appropriate modification) that has stopped KM offending fans, it's more the fact we haven't heard/she hasn't said anything period. Rest assured, the next time she does offer something publicly, the foot will firmly follow through to the mouth. Both her and Trump have this amazing ability to just say the wrong thing every time they open their mouths. Amazing talent
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

The bit at the end re: KM made me chuckle. For me it's not that Robinson's loquaciousity (fuck knows if that's even the appropriate modification) that has stopped KM offending fans, it's more the fact we haven't heard/she hasn't said anything period. Rest assured, the next time she does offer something publicly, the foot will firmly follow through to the mouth. Both her and Trump have this amazing ability to just say the wrong thing every time they open their mouths. Amazing talent
    Exactly that. Nothing to do with Robinson. She's spent a fortune on PR Advisors and they appear to have said to her (presumably in polite terms) that she is incapable of saying anything that isn't utterly stupid or offensive and that her best course of action is to avoid saying anything ever again.

Thought the performance was thoroughly uninspiring. Very few chances created and never looked capable of applying the sort of pressure that Fleetwood managed in the last 20 minutes. I understand we played well at Bolton but, following the trend of the entire season, we never manage two convincing performances on the spin. We're the epitome of mid-table mediocrity.

5 more games before the end of the month - looking at the sides we're playing, a promotion-challenging side in this woefully poor division would expect comprehensive wins in all of those fixtures with the exception of Rochdale away. I expect us to get 8 points at the most.

Not good enough.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

We haven't not got the "8 points at the most" yet.
    Let's check in on the 1st March and see how it goes.

• Options
    If Botaka is a striaght replacement for Byrne that will be good .I thought Botaka was outstanding against Bristol Rovers before he went to the Africa Cup of Nations.
    Note to James Seed.Thanks for the update .I find these subtle differences in the meaning of words facinating
  • Options
    timken said:

If Botaka is a striaght replacement for Byrne that will be good .I thought Botaka was outstanding against Bristol Rovers before he went to the Africa Cup of Nations.
    Note to James Seed.Thanks for the update .I find these subtle differences in the meaning of words facinating

Presumably Page comes back and Chicksen will play left midfield, with Holmes on the right. No starting place for Botaka, who can then be used (as required) as an impact substitute?
  • Options
    edited February 2017

timken said:

Presumably Page comes back and Chicksen will play left midfield, with Holmes on the right. No starting place for Botaka, who can then be used (as required) as an impact substitute?
    Page misses two matches I think.
    If he does then Chicksen LB, Holmes on the left, Botaka on the right? He (Botaka) was really finding his feet before ACoN.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Page is suspended for 2 matches due previous misdemeanour at Coventry I think.
    http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions
  • Options
    for how long is Magennis out ?
  • Options

Should be back Saturday
  • Options

Apparently due back next weekend.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Apparently due back next weekend.

Should be back Saturday
    thanks chaps
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope Chicksen is ok. That was the first time I can remember a player coming off with an illness. I should imagine standing around in the cold while the fourth official got changed can't have helped.
    I think he'd be a big miss if he hasn't recovered, as he can cover at least two positions.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    It's funny (annoying) how Millwall can go 12 or 13 matches unchanged, whereas we are always shuffling players about. Is that because we play so many young players who couldn't play so many matches in a row? Or are we just unlucky. Getting red cards doesn't help.
    I suspect opponents believe we are vulnerable to a team that plays a 'physical' game, so our players can take a bit of a battering, and can end up responding (like Tex) to being battered/provoked.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

It's funny (annoying) how Millwall can go 12 or 13 matches unchanged, whereas we are always shuffling players about. Is that because we play so many young players who couldn't play so many matches in a row? Or are we just unlucky. Getting red cards doesn't help.
    I suspect opponents believe we are vulnerable to a team that plays a 'physical' game, so our players can take a bit of a battering, and can end up responding (like Tex) to being battered/provoked.

Neil Harris has a squad limited in number but excellent in quality for this level, including some good home grown youngsters and he knows what he wants .. 4 4 2 or a 4 4 1 1 for the pedants .. hard work, aggression and for the team to not give an inch even when the cause is pretty much hopeless .. injuries ? .. a matter of player robustness, training techniques, good medical and therapy staff and good fortune ..
    I totally agree with your point about the physical game .. too many of our players, although willing and skilful are small in stature and perhaps callow in attitude but they are getting better ..
    IF ONLY we can get promoted this season, next season all our players will be tougher physically and mentally .. I fear if we stay down more players will be lost due to budget cuts and approaches from other clubs
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Missed that. Thanks.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Millwall are a much more settled side than us generally. The manager has been in charge for more than 5 mins, most of the players have been there for more than five mins, and they have established the system they wish to play.

I think we know how we want to play now, but it is still early days in instigating that change. We have had a bit of a run recently with injuries and suspension so KR has had no choice but to keep shuffling things. I'm sure he has in his mind what his bets XI is but they haven't always been available to him. If/when they are, we may well see thing settle down - as long as they are getting results and not getting injures or suspended.

The constant flux in the first XI is one of the symptoms of the lack of forward planning, and knee jerk approach to managerial hiring & firing and transfers that comes form the board room.
    Promotion or not, this next summer window will be massive for the club. If we're not sold, but we sell Konsa, Aribo (and any other young talent we may discover before then) to Premier League clubs, without replacing them properly, then any positivity that may have been growing about the future will melt away.
  • Options
    Every transfer window sees us bring in lots of loan players and not enough permanent signings, this window was no different.
    Constant chopping and changing.
    But haho we are learning from our mistakes
  • Options

Should be back Saturday
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

That's one thing about Fox, he was one of the few players who you could rely on to stay fit throughout a season

Looking at the injured players, the likes of Pearce, Holmes and Magennis aren't exactly young, so maybe we've been a bit unlucky as well.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Missed that. Thanks.
    Hrumph. I said it first. :-(