Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post 2000 worst Charlton XI

124»

Comments

• DanDavis said:

Get out of town with Bryan Hughes, he was alright!

But also just as dangerous in his own area as in the opposition's.
  • JaShea99 said:

As usual with these threads it started off sensible then got silly after a few pages. We must have had over 200 players since 2000 and people have put Doherty and HOLLAND in an 11. Ridiculous.

What's so outrageous about Doherty? The side he played in finished lower than any Charlton side since 2000 and he looked a poor player in it.
    Ok so the side finished the lowest. And it was a poor side. He was made to look worse as he was surrounded by poor players and his lack of pace and woeful turning speed was frequently exposed as there was no speedy CB next to him. But if you're asking are there 4 worse defenders than him out of the 50/60 (?) we've had since 2000, the answer HAS to be a resounding yes.
  • MrLargo said:

For the money paid I thought Luke Varney was awful for us.

Some of these names are bringing back bad memories. Can anyone work out how many players have played for us since relegation from the Prem?

The differing perspective's of football supporters - I thought he was great and was gutted when we had to sell him to cover the cost of Pardew's Failure Reward Severance Fee.

Scored both goals in a 2-0 win over Palace as well - surely that makes him officially exempt from inclusion in this sort of thread?!
    I'll never forget him rounding the 'keeper when we played Burnley, he simply had to tap the ball into an empty net yet kept running towards goal and waited until the Defender was back on the line to make the block.
    Was going to mention that, umbefuckinglievable :neutral:
  • edited February 2017
    Leuth said:

No mention of Andy Gray? That man relegated us

That man was playing for us while his daughter was in a coma with brain damage (apologies Posted without reading it was his wife who was sertiously ill) he should never have been picked to play. At the time he was picked out as the best striker in the division. I think he may of had other things on his mind when playing for us.
  • Thuram
    Francis (decent but was poor for us)
    Doherty
    McCarthorse
    Traore
    Green
    Holland
    Ambrose
    Christensen
    Bent (M)
    Polish Pete

There have been worse players with not many games but the above make my side because we paid good money and mostly they played half a season at least. The two exceptions are Thuram and Pete who owe their elevation to being worse than players in my Sunday league sides.

Matt Holland ?????????????????????????????????????????
  • edited February 2017

Chris Dickson
    Amdy Faye

Chris Dickson was a non-league player with a bit of Chris Whyte about him who needed a bit of time and coaching on 1st touch, at which he was no worse than Killer.

Amdy Faye was an average player in a rubbish midfield (run by Matt "I'll get there in a minute" Holland; aka Cleanshorts). At emergency CH he was my MotM a few times. Don't recall he cost anything.
    Not that I agree but killer didn't need close ball control, he just became our highest goal scorer of all time. Not bad for someone who had a "poor first touch" lol

Amdy Faye cost £2 mill from Newcastle where he was voted the worst player ever to wear the barcode. Traore had a similar honour at Anfield
  • edited February 2017
    Killer's first touch in the box was usually getting a shot off to make the net bulge, killer, killer, killer.

• DanDavis said:

Get out of town with Bryan Hughes, he was alright!

Hughes was awful for where we were at the time. The best thing I can remember him ever doing was outstrengthing Fabregas and barging him to the floor.
  • Surely Pigott deserves a mention with his game against Millwall?
  • Sponsored links:

• JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

As usual with these threads it started off sensible then got silly after a few pages. We must have had over 200 players since 2000 and people have put Doherty and HOLLAND in an 11. Ridiculous.

What's so outrageous about Doherty? The side he played in finished lower than any Charlton side since 2000 and he looked a poor player in it.
    Ok so the side finished the lowest. And it was a poor side. He was made to look worse as he was surrounded by poor players and his lack of pace and woeful turning speed was frequently exposed as there was no speedy CB next to him. But if you're asking are there 4 worse defenders than him out of the 50/60 (?) we've had since 2000, the answer HAS to be a resounding yes.
    So what qualities did Doherty bring? You've mentioned his lack of pace and woeful turning speed - the rest of his game wasn't much better. Looked like he hadn't played for about five years....
  • edited February 2017
    Diawara. Wore gloves. The ball always went over his head. Went on to play Champions League football!!!
  • JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

So what qualities did Doherty bring? You've mentioned his lack of pace and woeful turning speed - the rest of his game wasn't much better. Looked like he hadn't played for about five years....
    Woeful turning speed alright he made oil tankers look like speed boats :wink:
  • The fact we are even having this discussion has made me vomit faeces

However

I've got a particular distaste for thuram and Francis purely for keeping solly and Jenkinson out of the slot. Amd for being fucking pelt for us then having the temerity to look like an England international for Bournemouth once he left

I never warmed to hasslebaink and having Ben thatcher in the postcode angered me. El Kakouri I could have merrily strangled but he was generally decent for us.

Scott sinclair was awful, in fact I'm still amazed he has had the career he has. Seaborne I'm confident I would be able to turn, crainie wasn't bad he was an inexperienced centre half asked to fill in at full back

Pavel Abbot worked hard so can't include him regardless of his inability to hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Therry Racon fucking irritated the shit out of me because he had the tools to be a very competent midfielder

Kelly Youga was crap, I know a lot of people rated him but I can't forgive a professional footballer for pussying out of a challenge let alone a defender. And he never, ever beat his man for all the forward runs

Mark fucking Hudson. How could anyone forget this penis. Scored on his debut I think, he then made me question the business of selling paddy mccarthy and bringing him in for nixies.

Then the gems

Lepoint, koc, nego, ba, Diarra (pussied out of more one on ones than was ok for an international captain)

Danny Mills had a good game against palace and then looked like a man with a gambling debt, the only way to settle which was to perform consistently shitter than the game previous.

I will not hear of Luke Varney being included. He always put in a shift and broke my happiness gland whacking two in against palace then leading to me having euphoric intercourse with a very attractive woman I'd chanced bringing along to that game. In fact thinking about it, I'm going to go and sling one out in memory of that performance
  • Surely Pigott deserves a mention with his game against Millwall?

Never seen a more uncomfortable player at the Valley. Actually felt so sorry for him, should never have been on that pitch
  • Thuram|
    Butterfield| Nego| El Khalej| Onyewu|
    Lepoint| Rhys Williams| Foley|
    Vaz Te| Leon Clarke| Chris Dickson|

Butterfield? Thought he was decent maybe due to being ex Palarse?

For me, biggest waste of money Francis Jeffers
  • BR3red said:

Thuram|
    Butterfield| Nego| El Khalej| Onyewu|
    Lepoint| Rhys Williams| Foley|
    Vaz Te| Leon Clarke| Chris Dickson|

Butterfield? Thought he was decent maybe due to being ex Palarse?

For me, biggest waste of money Francis Jeffers
    Jeffers was a waste of money but he played and scored in the premiership, Butterfield was crap as far as I remember, nothing to do with Palace.
  • How about a team of players most people on here would never have seen play. No more than one appearance each for the following, most never having pulled on a first team shirt:

Luke Daniels
    Loic Nego
    Cory Gibbs
    Marcel Seip
    Kevin Feely
    Florent Rouamba
    Anil Koc
    Luke Holden
    Martin Christensen
    Bally Smart
    Piotr Parsyszek

• cabbles said:

This is actually a really tough ask. You can narrow it down a bit I think and go from 2007/08 onwards

2014 onwards would be hard enough!
  • Thuram as goalkeeper .....

Doherty Llera Traore Sarr
    Kerkar Faye Pouso Green

Polish Pete and McLeod up front

Any suggestions? I realise my defence is a bit heavy on centre halves.

Harsh to put Green in. I would sub him for Mikel Alonso.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thuram

Doherty, Traore, Johnson, Sarr

Lee Cook, Sinclair, Bryan Hughes

Hasselbaink, George, Carlton Cole

Wont hear a bad word said about Lee Cook. Quality left foot.
  • edited February 2017
    Can't believe I'm not seeing Amdy Faye in everyone's team. Even with all the dross that RD had sent us from the continent he's still the worst player I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt.
  • Skimming through this, I can't believe I've only seen Tahar El Khalej on one team sheet. Christ, he took being shit to a whole new level. The only time I've ever wanted one of our players to be sent off because we could surely only improve without him was in that 6-1 defeat at home to Leeds.

Abominable player.

Good shout sir. He was abysmal.
  • How about a team of players most people on here would never have seen play. No more than one appearance each for the following, most never having pulled on a first team shirt:

Luke Daniels
    Loic Nego
    Cory Gibbs
    Marcel Seip
    Kevin Feely
    Florent Rouamba
    Anil Koc
    Luke Holden
    Martin Christensen
    Bally Smart
    Piotr Parsyszek

Like the look of that team, you've gone for the classic big man/little man combo up top, it's got plenty of pace on the wings and some real bite With the added advantage of a bit of flair in the middle. Very solid looking at the back with two full backs that are more then capable of get up and down the flanks.