Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post 2000 worst Charlton XI

Comments

• Chris Dickson
    Amdy Faye
  • Here we go again...
  • Leuth said:

Matt Holland?! You're out of your mind

I guess if he's playing him in goal then it makes sense.
  • Chris Dickson
    Amdy Faye

Chris Dickson was a non-league player with a bit of Chris Whyte about him who needed a bit of time and coaching on 1st touch, at which he was no worse than Killer.

Amdy Faye was an average player in a rubbish midfield (run by Matt "I'll get there in a minute" Holland; aka Cleanshorts). At emergency CH he was my MotM a few times. Don't recall he cost anything.
  • edited February 2017
    Just shows you the unbelievable amount of shite we've had to endure in the last decade or so. Sea biscuit, mcclown and nine others for me. I'd actually have Ajose in there. At least we had a run of games to establish he was pants. A lot of people are getting picked and we saw so little of them we can only conjecture how bad they were (Gibbs, pouso, parsley etc)
  • cafc4life said:

Thuram/Weaver
    Francis Johnson Seaborne Traore Fox
    Ba Faye
    Mooney Tucudean Reza

5-2-3 formation with wing backs.This team would not be competitive in League 2

Mooney? Tucudean? I liked them!
  • Thuram
    Francis Doherty McCarthy Traore
    McCormack Lepoint Faye Vaz Te
    Abbott Nouble
  • Tucudean's goal against Bolton automatically invalidates him from this list, even if he did get a bit cute against Millwall that one time
  • Sponsored links:

• Amdy Faye cost 2m
  • Thuram is definitely a standout for me - the only goalkeeper I've ever seen who wouldn't catch the ball. Doherty deserves to be in due to being the slowest player in history.

Llera and Doherty was one of the worst centre back pairings I've ever seen - would love to have seen Sarr or Williams partnering Doherty.

Faye and Traore showed a remarkable lack of ability given the level they played at. Faye was hopeless - I remember him struggling in a friendly against Dulwich Hamlet.

Churchy is possibly the worst finisher I've seen but the rest of his game made him slightly less bad than than some other forwards. Spongefoot is such a superb nickname.
  • MrLargo said:

How can you include pouso. Who played a half of football and wasn't pitiful in that. This is the wrong place for him. He's stealing a place from players who did more to earn their spot in this team.

He was such a negative influence that Mark Kinsella had to take him running round Charlton Park just to get him away from the rest of the squad. A truly Roland-esque signing and worth his place in the side. Think he cost us a few quid for that 45 minutes of football as well.
    Is that true? I've never really heard the story of what happened with Pouso. All I really know is he came in to some fanfare, played once and then was never seen again
  • MrLargo said:

How can you include pouso. Who played a half of football and wasn't pitiful in that. This is the wrong place for him. He's stealing a place from players who did more to earn their spot in this team.

He was such a negative influence that Mark Kinsella had to take him running round Charlton Park just to get him away from the rest of the squad. A truly Roland-esque signing and worth his place in the side. Think he cost us a few quid for that 45 minutes of football as well.
    Is that true? I've never really heard the story of what happened with Pouso. All I really know is he came in to some fanfare, played once and then was never seen again
    I was at Pouso's only appearance (45 minutes v Portsmouth at the Valley) where he looked absolutely useless and got hooked at half time. I'd seen him on the telly scoring a screamer against England although he'd had his head shaved in the meantime and I honestly wondered if we'd signed the right bloke. Never saw him again.
  • edited February 2017
    The Aussie we got from Boro has to be in
  • Hard question;

If your seriously that bad then the manager probably didn't give the player in question many mins.

Also we've had so many loans that the shit players are probably also rather forgettable.
    Well they are to me.

OP should have new rule;

No loaned in players.

The player must have at least 30 apps to his name.
  • The kind of people who call Matt Holland Captain Cleanshorts are the kind of people who should be banned from even acknowledging the existence of football. They're like people who claim you lose 40% of your body heat through your head; it's nonsense, it's been debunked countless times, but there's always a few who still say it regardless. Matt Holland played for us for four years in the Premier League, was our captain during our highest ever finish in the league and is a former player of the year. Eggert Jonsson he is not.

This 100%
  • MrLargo said:

Yep. I believe it was at the Supporters Trust launch event in Bartrams that Kins told that story. I don't think he named Pouso, but he gave enough other background info that it was very straightforward to do the maths if you had a reasonable knowledge of our playing squad - named the season, said it was a loan player, etc. There were no alternative candidates that fitted the description and circumstances.
  • Leuth said:

No mention of Andy Gray? That man relegated us

I wasn't his biggest fan but seem to remember his wife was very ill pretty much his whole time with us
  • Sponsored links:

• The kind of people who call Matt Holland Captain Cleanshorts are the kind of people who should be banned from even acknowledging the existence of football. They're like people who claim you lose 40% of your body heat through your head; it's nonsense, it's been debunked countless times, but there's always a few who still say it regardless. Matt Holland played for us for four years in the Premier League, was our captain during our highest ever finish in the league and is a former player of the year. Eggert Jonsson he is not.

He wasn't good enough as a midfielder towards the end of his career but no way should be mentioned in this type of thread.
  • Alonso has to be in there. One of the oddest debuts. It was like he was on that programme Faking It and was actually a painter and decorator pretending to be a pro footballer.
    Surprised Doherty is in some of these. Plenty worse than him.
  • Chris Dickson
    Amdy Faye

Chris Dickson was a non-league player with a bit of Chris Whyte about him who needed a bit of time and coaching on 1st touch, at which he was no worse than Killer.

Amdy Faye was an average player in a rubbish midfield (run by Matt "I'll get there in a minute" Holland; aka Cleanshorts). At emergency CH he was my MotM a few times. Don't recall he cost anything.
    Faye cost £2m and was garbage. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he only covered once at CH against Bolton, where admittedly he played well. Other than that he was a joke and suggestion of any similarity with Holland is laughable imo.

Yeah, but he did have lovely clean shorts too.
  • As usual with these threads it started off sensible then got silly after a few pages. We must have had over 200 players since 2000 and people have put Doherty and HOLLAND in an 11. Ridiculous.
  • JaShea99 said:

As usual with these threads it started off sensible then got silly after a few pages. We must have had over 200 players since 2000 and people have put Doherty and HOLLAND in an 11. Ridiculous.

Agreed
  • Nothing to do with this thread, just the opposite in fact, watching the Bryan Hughes you tube post on the first page & then the follow ons it's enough to make you weep. Beating Arsenal home & away, Liverpool,West ham, Tottenham, Man City to name a few & the classic comment " what an afternoon they're having here, these 18000 Charlton season ticket holders. I ask the apologists for this cancerous regime, do you honestly think we'll ever see those days again under the Belgians ?
  • JaShea99 said:

As usual with these threads it started off sensible then got silly after a few pages. We must have had over 200 players since 2000 and people have put Doherty and HOLLAND in an 11. Ridiculous.

What's so outrageous about Doherty? The side he played in finished lower than any Charlton side since 2000 and he looked a poor player in it.
  • Thuram

Borrowdale
    Sarr
    El Khalej
    Seaborne

Cook
    Williams
    McAlney
    Jonsson

Nouble (capt)
    McLeod
  • Llera?! He could be erratic granted but was nowhere near as bad as some of the crap we have had. I actually liked him.

And he scored with that very classy finish against Swindon when we had only nine men. A finish that puts some of our forwards signed by The Belgian Two to shame.