Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post 2000 worst Charlton XI

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Thuram

Nego, Rhys Williams, Sarr, Seabourne,

Egart Johnson, Le Point, McCormack,

Pawel Abbot, Peter Parsnip, Izale Mcleod
  • That fella that sang green door was a poxy gaffer.
  • Thuram|
    Butterfield| Nego| El Khalej| Onyewu|
    Lepoint| Rhys Williams| Foley|
    Vaz Te| Leon Clarke| Chris Dickson|

• Thuram

Koc Williams Johnson Seabourne

Fleetwood ****** Lepoint McElleney

Nouble Polish Pete.

The ***** was related (possible brother as same surname) to a famous quality footballer only played a couple of times but was truly appalling so slow and off the pace it was unbelievable was released before end of contract. Someone else must remember him. Unfortunately a lot to chose from over recent years.

Alonso?
  • Martin Cranie was pretty shit in the first relegation to League 1 from what I recall.
  • Thuram seems to be the consistent pick of the day, which is unsurprising given how hopelessly sub-standard he was. Ironic seeing as his was the original Duchatelet/Mowgli import causing friction between Powell and Two Shats. What a absolute buffoon that man is, pretending he knows about football.

Seaborne, Williams, Borrowdale, McElleney and Vaz Te would all be in my worst of IX.
  • Blimey we all deserve a medal having had to watch this dross, it's almost a form of torture which needs to be outlawed. Unfortunately it comes with the territory of being a Charlton fan but we shouldn't forget all the decent players we've had the pleasure to watch which evens things out a bit.
  • Talal said:

Bally Smart? Never saw him play just assuming he was shit.

I did. He was.
  • For the money paid I thought Luke Varney was awful for us.

Some of these names are bringing back bad memories. Can anyone work out how many players have played for us since relegation from the Prem?
  • Sponsored links:

• Easy to forget how much dross we've suffered over the years. Need to have a good think about this one.
  • Fox
    Fox Fox Fox Fox
    Fox Fox Fox Fox
    Fox
    Johnson
  • edited February 2017
    Stig said:

Thuram seems to be the consistent pick of the day, which is unsurprising given how hopelessly sub-standard he was.

Thing is we've always been gifted with quite good Goalkeepers - Kiely | Myhre | Andersen | Carson were our Premier League Goalkeepers with Tony Caig covering a Kiely suspension at one point the only 2nd Choice Goalkeeper who managed to play whilst he was here (Rachubka | Leite the other unfortunate failings simply because Deano was so good)

Then when we dropped to the Championship we had Weaver who wasn't the worst we've had and was replaced by Rob Elliott and Darren Randolph when we got relegated to League One, naturally Elliott eventually decided to leave and was replaced by Hamer and Button, with the latter only getting a lack of game time because again; Hamer didnt make enough mistakes...

Sadly John Sullivan had confidence issues (as did Alnwick) but was good enough during his loan spell for us, whilst Neil Etheridge wasnt great but wasnt awful (as shown by his career staying in League One with Walsall)... When Hamer left we replaced him with Henderson who'll be a cult hero for the Huddersfield interview and was challenged by Nick Pope who has gone up to the Premier League.

We're now left with Declan Rudd and Dillon Phillips, both of whom have done an excellent job for us this season.

Did I forget anyone?
  • Stig said:

Thuram seems to be the consistent pick of the day, which is unsurprising given how hopelessly sub-standard he was.

Thing is we've always been gifted with quite good Goalkeepers - Kiely | Myhre | Andersen | Carson were our Premier League Goalkeepers with Tony Caig covering a Kiely suspension at one point the only 2nd Choice Goalkeeper who managed to play whilst he was here (Rachubka | Leite the other unfortunate failings simply because Deano was so good)

Then when we dropped to the Championship we had Weaver who wasn't the worst we've had and was replaced by Rob Elliott and Darren Randolph when we got relegated to League One, naturally Elliott eventually decided to leave and was replaced by Hamer and Button, with the latter only getting a lack of game time because again; Hamer didnt make enough mistakes...

Sadly John Sullivan had confidence issues (as did Alnwick) but was good enough during his loan spell for us, whilst Neil Etheridge wasnt great but wasnt awful (as shown by his career staying in League One with Walsall)... When Hamer left we replaced him with Henderson who'll be a cult hero for the Huddersfield interview and was challenged by Nick Pope who has gone up to the Premier League.

We're now left with Declan Rudd and Dillon Phillips, both of whom have done an excellent job for us this season.

Did I forget anyone?
    Yeh the bloke who should have played with gloves on his feet and boots on his hands :wink:
  • For the money paid I thought Luke Varney was awful for us.

Some of these names are bringing back bad memories. Can anyone work out how many players have played for us since relegation from the Prem?

192. Darren Randolph (V645) was our last Premiership debutant. Nicky Weaver, Yassin Moutaouakil, Paddy McCarthy, José Semedo, Svetoslav Todorov, Izale McLeod, and Chris Iwelumo (V646-V652) all made their debuts in the first match back in the Championship.
  • edited February 2017

For the money paid I thought Luke Varney was awful for us.

The differing perspective's of football supporters - I thought he was great and was gutted when we had to sell him to cover the cost of Pardew's Failure Reward Severance Fee.

Scored both goals in a 2-0 win over Palace as well - surely that makes him officially exempt from inclusion in this sort of thread?!
  • MrLargo said:

The differing perspective's of football supporters - I thought he was great and was gutted when we had to sell him to cover the cost of Pardew's Failure Reward Severance Fee.

Scored both goals in a 2-0 win over Palace as well - surely that makes him officially exempt from inclusion in this sort of thread?!
    I'll never forget him rounding the 'keeper when we played Burnley, he simply had to tap the ball into an empty net yet kept running towards goal and waited until the Defender was back on the line to make the block.
  • Skimming through this, I can't believe I've only seen Tahar El Khalej on one team sheet. Christ, he took being shit to a whole new level. The only time I've ever wanted one of our players to be sent off because we could surely only improve without him was in that 6-1 defeat at home to Leeds.

Abominable player.
  • Conor Mcaleny was pretty dire from what I recall. Thanks again Roland
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2017
    -------------Thuram
    Traore Sarr Johnson Seaborne
    Lepoint Alonso Faye Jonsson
    ----------Nouble Vaz Te

Imagine that starting XI. Dear lord.
  • Stig said:

Did I forget anyone?
    Ross Warner
  • edited February 2017
    I think, to qualify for this, they player ought to have played at least 5 games for us. It's probably fair to assume that, given how generally terrible we have been, if you only managed a 15 minute sub appearance since Pardew joined us, you were probably a bit toilet. However, none of us really saw enough to judge just how toilet they were, so hard to rank those players fairly. In that spirit:

Weaver
    Moutaouakil
    Sarr
    Doherty
    Thatcher
    Ambrose
    Faye
    McCormack
    McAleny
    Nouble
    McLeod

Not as many network players in there as you might think, but maybe because all the (many) really terrible ones never made much more than a couple of appearances.

• MrLargo said:

I'll never forget him rounding the 'keeper when we played Burnley, he simply had to tap the ball into an empty net yet kept running towards goal and waited until the Defender was back on the line to make the block.
    We've had plenty of forwards over the years who have demonstrated that level of finishing but not scored twice against Palace. Stand by my original point - he's exempt.
  • With a three at the back of Williams, Sarr and Johnson, it wouldn't matter who the other eight were.
  • Thuram, Nego, Doherty, El Khalej, Johnson (2016-), Francis, Rhys Williams, Lepoint, Frimpong, Abbott, M. Bent,
  • Talal said:

Stig said:

Did I forget anyone?
    Ross Warner
    Worner wasn't too bad for the level we were playing at the time. Weaver was shite though. I seem to be in a fairly small minority on this, but I always thought he was a terrible keeper.
  • Thuram may have been dire for us, but this is the guy who's played for Standard Liege, and now has a 3 year contract with Le Havre, a French L2 side. That suggests he can't be completely terrible, just not suitable for English football

Indeed that's been the case with a few of the RD era imports.
  • No mention of Andy Gray? That man relegated us
  • edited February 2017
    Thuram
    Francis (decent but was poor for us)
    Doherty
    McCarthorse
    Traore
    Green
    Holland
    Ambrose
    Christensen
    Bent (M)
    Polish Pete

There have been worse players with not many games but the above make my side because we paid good money and mostly they played half a season at least. The two exceptions are Thuram and Pete who owe their elevation to being worse than players in my Sunday league sides.