Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best nicknames you've ever heard

Comments

• Options
    Knew a bloke who was going bald but kept his pony tail to disguise this fact.
    Known as "the crafty comber"
  • Options
    25May98 said:

When I left school my foreman was was Harry Blades and had the obvious nickname 'razor'

On another note, my granddad died when I was in my late 40's. I had only ever known him as Jack but at his funeral the priest started the service by calling him John, I was astounded that for nearly 50 years I had never known his true name. I very nearly bollocked the priest for getting his name wrong!! Evidently, in years gone by, swapping John for Jack was commonplace

I believe it still is.
    Quite a few names have shortenings/alternatives that were tweaked in the past and, as a result, they don't quite match.
    Examples being:
    Robert:Bob
    John:Jack
    Henry:Harry/Hank
    Richard:Dick
    William:Bill
    James:Jim
    Edward:Ted/Ned
    Katherine:Kitty
    Elizabeth:Bess/Libby

But my favorite:
    Margaret:Peggy

I mean, wtf? How'd they come up with that?
    My wife is Sarah and she tells me that the name Sally was originally an alternative to Sarah until it became a name in its own right.

I'm a John and fully aware of the 'Jack' alternative. I did used to get very confused as a five year old when an old Irish lady always called me Sean.
    Sean is Irish for John.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Have got a mate called Shagger.

She doesn't like it

Thank you Jimmy Carr.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

A guy at work is called Marmite because people either love him or hate him

I call him Tampax - they are both stuck up cun....

I'll stop there

Charming!
  • Options
    We had a chain-smoking Spanish teacher whose fingers were ugly reminders of his habit and was known as Goldfinger.
    My favourite was a Chemistry teacher who was 6 foot four and had a thick head of bright ginger hair: Towering Inferno.
  • Options
    Reminds me, we gad a Physics teacher at school who had a goatee and neck/shoulder length hair.

Got called several things by the kids - Jesus, Shakespeare and Robin Hood. My favourite was the time somebody had snuck in and written "Robin Hood - Prince of Physics" on his blackboard.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

We had a chain-smoking Spanish teacher whose fingers were ugly reminders of his habit and was known as Goldfinger.
    My favourite was a Chemistry teacher who was 6 foot four and had a thick head of bright ginger hair: Towering Inferno.

Was that Taffy?
    And wasn't the chemistry teacher Keith Elmett (sic). We had another nickname for him.
  • Options
    It was Taff, he was a nice bloke; went to Braithwaite with him a couple of times.
    With Keith Elmett, the possibilities were endless...
    Both of them are in the school photo.
  • Options

When I left school my foreman was was Harry Blades and had the obvious nickname 'razor'

On another note, my granddad died when I was in my late 40's. I had only ever known him as Jack but at his funeral the priest started the service by calling him John, I was astounded that for nearly 50 years I had never known his true name. I very nearly bollocked the priest for getting his name wrong!! Evidently, in years gone by, swapping John for Jack was commonplace

Have you never heard of Jack Charlton?

Just after we won the World Cup, I found a cigarette card album with John Charlton in it. I, too, wondered why it said John when everyone called him Jack. Mind you, I was nine, not 40.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redskin said:

We had a maths teacher whose surname was Badr, nickname Douglas.
  • Options
    We had a teacher with a beard everyone called Jesus, even the other teachers. Not to his face of course.

Same went for the deputy head, Teddy Ruxpin
  • Options
    Had a 'Grand a week' on a site back in the 00's, a fella who wouldn't shut up about the amount of dough he reckoned he was earning on a previous job.
  • Options

Had a 'Grand a week' on a site back in the 00's, a fella who wouldn't shut up about the amount of dough he reckoned he was earning on a previous job.

Loads of money?
  • Options
    A cabbie we knew didn't want a nickname. So he became 'no nickname'.
  • Options
    1st day at college i had quite a bastard haircut pretty bowl shaped, got called mushroom head, shortened to mushroom or mush, still sticks saw a mate from college about a month ago and he just shouted out mushroom across the pub.
  • Options
    A friend of a friend was called Salad.

He was fat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A guy I went to school with was fat so naturally he got named skinny, still gets called it now, or skin.
  • Options

Have you never heard of Jack Charlton?

Just after we won the World Cup, I found a cigarette card album with John Charlton in it. I, too, wondered why it said John when everyone called him Jack. Mind you, I was nine, not 40.
    I've got a cigarette card with Robert Charlton on it!
  • Options

A guy I went to school with was fat so naturally he got named skinny, still gets called it now, or skin.

A bloke I drank with in The Oak up Widmore Road called everyone Fat Boy, regardless if you were fat or not, "Alright Fat Boy?"
  • Options

I belong to a forum connected to the football club I support and there is a guy on there that has so many nicknames its hilarious.

I think his proper name is cabbles.........?

Cobblers
  • Options
    There was a Carry On film (Up the Jungle) where Sid james indacates with his head to a skeleton in the corner of a room and says 'that's the last doctor'.

A very thin girl I knew spent years being called 'the last doctor' by some carry-on film fans I knew, without ever knowing why.
  • Options

Knew a bloke who was going bald but kept his pony tail to disguise this fact.
    Known as "the crafty comber"

Initials MR?
  • Options
    Had a teacher at Middle School who had bad acne scars, he was known as "planish".
    Mate of mine is Johnny Onespeed. No matter what he is doing it's always at about 20% slower than anyone else.

Here's the ultimate nickname guide:

http://mymusiconearth.blogspot.pt/2012/02/greg-davies-nicknames.html
  • Options

Had a teacher at Middle School who had bad acne scars, he was known as "planish".
    Mate of mine is Johnny Onespeed. No matter what he is doing it's always at about 20% slower than anyone else.

Here's the ultimate nickname guide:

http://mymusiconearth.blogspot.pt/2012/02/greg-davies-nicknames.html

The comments section of that video on YouTube has a bloke called Hugh Campbell who gets called Huge Cumball.

Amazing.

Mumbo was brilliant too.
  • Options
    maybe a bit un pc but about 40 years ago i played football with a jamaican guy who was known as alcock and brown