Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best nicknames you've ever heard

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2017
    One time Australian Rugby Union Captain and 2nd row forward John Eales was called " Nobody " , because nobody is perfect. Great player and successful captain, used to kick Penalties too.
  • Options
    Knew a guy who people called 'Swipes' or 'Swipey' because he was allegedly involve in an incident where a man's trousers were pulled down and someone swiped his bank cards through the arse-crack whilst the victim yelped "Bleep" every time a card was swiped.
  • Options

My cousins got a mate called Beer mat

And no mention of Bulldog?
  • Options
    We had a centre forward in our Sunday team nicknamed 'Pigeon', every time he had a shot it ended up in the trees.

The father-in-law has a mate called 'Polly filler', in work he just fills in where he's needed.
  • Options
    At school me and another Charlton fan gave our mate the nickname "Robinson" as he had a prominent chin and made facial expressions like when JR equalised against Man United.
  • Options
    I know a bloke called Chav. Because he used to (and still does) call everyone "chav" or "chavvy" instead of saying mate for some reason. Not the sharpest tool in the shed by any imagination (brain damage at birth iirc he told me once). But he's got a heart of gold.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Essex_Al said:

Used to work with a bloke named Bates, everyone used to call him Master!

Yep, I'll answer to that, as well as Norman and Psycho. ;)
  • Options
    I still think Colin is up there when mentioning Neil Warnock.
    Whoever came up gets my vote.
  • Options
    The racehorse trainer Luca Cumani is known in racing as Filthy as in " filthy lucre "
  • Options
    'Armpits' Ron. This guy's BO was legendary. He had an office in the basement and as soon as you went downstairs the atmosphere hit your nostrils. The bloke who took over from him had the whole place fumigated for a week before he ventured into the office.
  • Options
    When I left school my foreman was was Harry Blades and had the obvious nickname 'razor'

On another note, my granddad died when I was in my late 40's. I had only ever known him as Jack but at his funeral the priest started the service by calling him John, I was astounded that for nearly 50 years I had never known his true name. I very nearly bollocked the priest for getting his name wrong!! Evidently, in years gone by, swapping John for Jack was commonplace
  • Options
    edited January 2017

When I left school my foreman was was Harry Blades and had the obvious nickname 'razor'

On another note, my granddad died when I was in my late 40's. I had only ever known him as Jack but at his funeral the priest started the service by calling him John, I was astounded that for nearly 50 years I had never known his true name. I very nearly bollocked the priest for getting his name wrong!! Evidently, in years gone by, swapping John for Jack was commonplace

I believe it still is.
    Quite a few names have shortenings/alternatives that were tweaked in the past and, as a result, they don't quite match.
    Examples being:
    Robert:Bob
    John:Jack
    Henry:Harry/Hank
    Richard:Dick
    William:Bill
    James:Jim
    Edward:Ted/Ned
    Katherine:Kitty
    Elizabeth:Bess/Libby

But my favourite:
    Margaret:Peggy

I mean, wtf? How'd they come up with that?
  • Options
    Duncan Disorderly (Duncan Ferguson).
  • Options
    Kiki Musampa was fondly known as Chris
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played golf with a bloke whose nickname was Shed Head, because he had a head the size of a shed poor sod. Great bloke though.
  • Options
    An old pal of mine was called Swamprat - he always smelt like shit, another lad we called Wayne, he wasn't a Wayne but his surname was king.
  • Options
    A guy at work is called Marmite because people either love him or hate him

I call him Tampax - they are both stuck up cun....

I'll stop there
  • Options

I believe it still is.
    Quite a few names have shortenings/alternatives that were tweaked in the past and, as a result, they don't quite match.
    Examples being:

But my favorite:

Cheers lordromford. Got to agree, Margaret to Peggy is a wtf lol
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I believe it still is.
    Examples being:

But my favorite:

Cheers lordromford. Got to agree, Margaret to Peggy is a wtf lol
    The name Margaret has a variety of different nicknames. Some are obvious, as in Meg, Mog and Maggie, while others are downright strange, like Daisy. But it's the Mog/Meg we want to concentrate on here as those nicknames later morphed into the rhymed forms Pog(gy) and Peg(gy).

My name s not Margaret by the way :wink:
  • Options
    Mandy lifeboats.
  • Options
    Years ago bloke I worked with was called bungalow because he was thick. As in nothing up top.
  • Options

I believe it still is.
    Examples being:

But my favorite:

My wife is Sarah and she tells me that the name Sally was originally an alternative to Sarah until it became a name in its own right.

I'm a John and fully aware of the 'Jack' alternative. I did used to get very confused as a five year old when an old Irish lady always called me Sean.
  • Options
    Had a boss a few years back who fancied himself as a bit of a ladies' man and would try to nail anything female in the office. Sexual harrasment claims were legendary .Unfortunately for him He had thick dark curly permed like hair a bit like Kevin Keegan in the early 80s but which then even more unfortunately for him started to go a bit thin on top and around his ever enlarging bald patch crown . He was then nick named " the Monkey' s Bum " . Did he not like that ! ( Graham Taylor RIP)