Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Millwall | Sat 14 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    It's the hope that kills you!
  • Options
    Winger calls for a repeat performance against rivals at The Valley
    Shane Ferguson believes Millwall's 3-1 victory over Charlton Athletic in December was one of the best of the season.

The Addicks had no answer for a relentless Lions performance that was fluid, incisive and clinical going forward, and calm and measured at the back.

Now, just three weeks later, the Northern Ireland international is calling on his teammates to approach Saturday's derby at The Valley in exactly the same vein.

"When we beat Charlton at home it gave us a lot of confidence," he told millwallfc.co.uk. "The way we played that night, if we hit those same heights again we will be difficult to match.

"As a player, these are the matches you want to be involved in. The atmosphere will be unbelievable because we know what this rivalry means to the fans."

The winger came off the bench to complete a stunning Emirates FA Cup upset on Saturday, scoring the final goal in a famous 3-0 lashing of AFC Bournemouth.

"The lads played really well and it was a fantastic result for the club.

"We deserved the result, we didn't look out of place at all and that's what is great about the Cup, being able to test ourselves against Premier League teams," Ferguson added.

"We had plenty of confidence going into the game and it showed. The manager told us to go out and enjoy ourselves and that's what we did.

"Now our attention turns to Charlton and climbing up the League One table."

hopefully both teams are fired up and we go from the off, really wanna give them a pasting.
  • Options
    4 0 Charlton to start a run of 25 years before we lose to the wankers again
  • Options
    Charlton 0-3 Millwall
  • Options
    Should know this but can I buy a ticket on the door on production of a red card/last year's season ticket? Would pain me to line Doshitalot's pockets but if any game could incline me to pay a rare visit it's this one, especially with some new faces on show. Will be a last minute decision though given weather.
  • Options
    Rudd
    Solly Bauer Tex Page
    Konsa Crofts
    Byrne Aribo Chicksen
    Magennis

Phillips, Dasilva, Ulvestad, Forster-Caskey, Holmes, Watt, Ajose

Maybe I am being harsh on Lennon and anyone else who don't make the bench, but with Chicksen and Konsa, we have players able to cover different positions. Just can't see him leaving out Ulvestad when Forster-Caskey is clearly not fully ready.

Holmes just coming back, Watt is obviously behind in fitness too. Strong bench. Give it a couple of weeks and the team could look very exciting.

Call me stupid, but we will win this one.

2-1
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    lose 0-2 they are flying at moment all started.........well you know when
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Don't worry, we're definitely going to win this one. Explanation as follows:

The last time we beat Millwall was 9 March 1996, about two weeks after the release of the film "Trainspotting".

The sequel to this film, "T2 Trainspotting", is released on 27 January 2017.

Millwall call us Trainspotters, although I would say that we've reclaimed that word, and now wear it as a badge of honour.

So basically, we always beat Millwall when we play them in the same year that a Trainspotting film has been released.

I can't see anything other than a resounding Addicks victory, 5-0 Charlton, Jacko with all the goals. Well, either that or 2-0 to Millwall.

Just in terms of scientific data, you make an excellent point.

Rudd (if fit)
    Solly Bauer Tex Chicksen
    ........Crofts......JFC
    Byrne...Aribo....DaSilva
    ...........Magennis

Phillips, Konsa, Page, Ulvestad, Holmes, Watt, Ajose

Not the strongest starting 11, particularly out wide we could still use a bit of quality I think. But our bench looks very strong all of a sudden. I could see Aribo starting wide left instead of DaSilva, with JFC in the #10 role and Konsa as the holding midfielder. That would give us a little more defensive cover and physicality in midfield.

1-2 is my prediction. I think Gregory and Morrison are going to give Tex and Bauer fits. Millwall will play direct and will look to get crosses in and whoever plays at left back will be targeted for back post headers. I expect a better performance than last time, and I do think we're heading in the right direction, but I think Millwall are the type of side (even if they weren't Millwall) who will cause us trouble.
  • Options

Winger calls for a repeat performance against rivals at The Valley
    Shane Ferguson believes Millwall's 3-1 victory over Charlton Athletic in December was one of the best of the season.

The Addicks had no answer for a relentless Lions performance that was fluid, incisive and clinical going forward, and calm and measured at the back.

Now, just three weeks later, the Northern Ireland international is calling on his teammates to approach Saturday's derby at The Valley in exactly the same vein.

"When we beat Charlton at home it gave us a lot of confidence," he told millwallfc.co.uk. "The way we played that night, if we hit those same heights again we will be difficult to match.

"As a player, these are the matches you want to be involved in. The atmosphere will be unbelievable because we know what this rivalry means to the fans."

The winger came off the bench to complete a stunning Emirates FA Cup upset on Saturday, scoring the final goal in a famous 3-0 lashing of AFC Bournemouth.

"The lads played really well and it was a fantastic result for the club.

"We deserved the result, we didn't look out of place at all and that's what is great about the Cup, being able to test ourselves against Premier League teams," Ferguson added.

"We had plenty of confidence going into the game and it showed. The manager told us to go out and enjoy ourselves and that's what we did.

"Now our attention turns to Charlton and climbing up the League One table."

hopefully both teams are fired up and we go from the off, really wanna give them a pasting.

Blimey he is excited "the atmosphere will be unbelievable" lol.
  • Options
    3-0 Charlton

It cant go on for ever.

Ok, well maybe 1-0, but a win is a win
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Big_Bad_World @MillwallFan do you go into this fixture with any worries, at all, ever
  • Options

can't believe the number picking Rudd. What has Phillips done wrong? I'd much rather Dillon continue that watch Rudd, a loanee, who isn't any better anyway.

problem is karl has been harping on about rudds return. not sure why as Phillips has been pretty good between the posts.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

@Big_Bad_World @MillwallFan do you go into this fixture with any worries, at all, ever

One of my best mates is a spanner and his answer would be "no". He is coming to my son's 30th party Sat night as well so that should be fun.
  • Options
    Looks as if the received wisdom is that we will go 4-2-3-1

For me I would take a risk by putting Rudd back in goal if fully fit and alert, simply because Dillon has such a torrid time against them before.
    I also can't see past Crofts and Konsa as the two. Crofts is vulnerable, but can compensate with a bit of experience and knowing the team, and Konsa has got more games under his belt than Aribo and he can move further back if need be, and it might be wise to look for a little more experience than the excellent Aribo further up.

My team would probably be something like:

Rudd.

Solly. Tex. Bauer. Chicksen (possibly Page)

Crofts. Konsa

Byrne. Aribo or JFC (close call this one). Holmes (assuming he can get through at least an hour.)

Magennis.

Subs. Phillips. Lennon, DaSilva, Ulvestad, Watt, Chicksen/Page, Aribo/JFC.

My most controversial thing to say concerns Tony Watt.

I was at the U23's on Monday and I thought KAG, Hanlan, and Umerah were in good and lively form. Watt is so skilled, so much a fans favourite, and is maybe making Doe eyes at Robinson, but if he gets into the matchday squad ahead of the three boys I have mentioned, he'd better impress, because KAG, Hanlan and Umerah are chomping at the bit. In short for me if Watt plays we need cut him no slack, he will have to deliver straight away.
  • Options

cabbles said:

One of my best mates is a spanner and his answer would be "no". He is coming to my son's 30th party Sat night as well so that should be fun.
    our record is terrible. they must think the worst that will happen is a draw
  • Options
    My fiver went on a Charlton win (it HAS to happen sometime?) and the odds were silly for a two horse race!

My heart says a spawny, jammy, gut renchingly arse wipe win for the feral peril, the Spanners!
  • Options
    On paper i think we have a much better squad now than we did on our last encounter against them
    Some new blood keen to impress and tony watt with something to prove
    Im going for a 3-1 win and going to stick a few hard earnt £££€€$$$ on it im that confident?
    Or deluded!!!
  • Options
    Cant see past a 1 - 2 defeat. Bullied again in midfield due to our lack of physicality/experience and ( in the case of JFC ) - fitness.

The midfield battle of our two young hero's Konsa & Aribo will be crucial, the oppo will attempt to crush them early doors.

Come on lads, prove me wrong. Edit: Watt comes on for last 10 mins and lays on the equalizer for ....... someone, anyone!
  • Options

If we play Page I hope he doesn't get turned over.
    1-1

He makes it easy to read the game.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

If we play Page I hope he doesn't get turned over.
    1-1

He makes it easy to read the game.

Let's hope he doesn't get booked.
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Where's @happyvalley when you need him...?

Here I am, comfortable home win 4-0 (please please please).
  • Options

I've got a feeling you could be right, (or bonkers like me).
  • Options
    Come on lads this is the one.2.0.
  • Options
    What is wrong with you all trying to predict a Charlton win. Come on and be sensible 0-2 :0(
  • Options

can't believe the number picking Rudd. What has Phillips done wrong? I'd much rather Dillon continue that watch Rudd, a loanee, who isn't any better anyway.

I would love to see Dillon continue to progress but surely Rudd is a level above him, particularly in his positioning and kicking.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I would love to see Dillon continue to progress but surely Rudd is a level above him, particularly in his positioning and kicking.
    If, as I believe, Rudd is better than Phillips, then working with Rudd will help his coaching
  • Options
    no real idea who Robinson will pick for this .. whoever plays will need to show a lot more bottle and commitment than was shown by the side that recently turned it in at the New Den .. IF that happens we now have a VERY good squad and on talent should win this .. BUT talent does not = spirit and that's what we need if we're going to win this ..
    Millwall will be right up for it, no worries there .. prepare for a right old fashioned scrap

CAFC 2 v Millwall 2
  • Options

I've got a feeling you could be right, (or bonkers like me).
    51 years of supporting Charlton is enough to send anyone bonkers