Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do we think its looking good

Comments

• Scoham said:

We've lost one of our main goalscorers but have Watt back. We could rely on Lookman being a goal threat. Not sure we can with Watt, as talented as he is.

Lost a left back that many fans didn't rate. Brought in a young replacement though he may be second choice to Chicksen.

Lost a back up right back but signed someone that should improve central midfield.

Signed a promising young player but he's only on loan and has no first team experience. Seems he's mainly player left back for the Chelsea youth sides but looks like he'll be used in midfield for us.

Doesn't look better to me although the window has only just opened. Still need a proper number 10 (vital for the way KR wants us to play) another winger (we lack options, CMs out wide isn't really an option in a five man midfield) and a right back (could get by with Solly and Konsa but it's not ideal).

At least Lookman and Fox have left early in the window. Makes a change for us, we usually sell them with a few days or even hours to go.

Notice the other players we've been linked with are all fairly young, Byrne, Potts, Carruthers (not an option anymore) and Reeves. RD has perhaps found an English manager they suits his ideas - someone happy to manage a young team made up of signings and academy players. The Swindon game showed that wasn't going to be Slade, he went for an experienced midfield when so many could see he needed to take a risk with one or two youngsters to give us more pace and energy.

We could be very good to watch if KR can pull it off. Yet he's working for the owner that goes trough 2/3 managers a season. Before anyone leaves we could do with 2/3 more signings. Since RD took over that's usually the number we still need when the window closes. I'm not convinced it'll be any different this time.

Spot on as always.
  • Let's face it Duchatelet will eat as much of the transfer money as he can and still leave Robinson with a squad that on paper looks potentially worth a tilt at the playoffs.

It's a shite league, and Robinson has done well before on no money.

But it's painful that an investment of say £2m now would stand a much improved chance of say £10m better off next season.

Let's hope I'm wrong by 31 January and we have significantly strengthened.
  • The season will be over in another few months and another transfer window will open and the whole "we've made mistakes and moved on" nonsense will be repeated. We will sign more kids on loan alongside players unable to command a fee in the lower reaches of English football. I see no reason to be optimistic about the future of Charlton Athletic.
    Roland does have one thing in common with the genius that was Alan, neither of them ever supported or cared for our club.
  • aliwibble said:

My only hope is that Roland's liquidating his assets before selling up.

Let us pray this so but I have my doubts. Having read his interview it would appear that short of wrecking his office and threatening actual bodily harm he is not to be shifted. We just have to keep our fingers crossed for a late promotion push in the hope that he might sell if we get back into the Championship.

• Scoham said:

We've lost one of our main goalscorers but have Watt back. We could rely on Lookman being a goal threat. Not sure we can with Watt, as talented as he is.

Lost a left back that many fans didn't rate. Brought in a young replacement though he may be second choice to Chicksen.

Lost a back up right back but signed someone that should improve central midfield.

Signed a promising young player but he's only on loan and has no first team experience. Seems he's mainly player left back for the Chelsea youth sides but looks like he'll be used in midfield for us.

Doesn't look better to me although the window has only just opened. Still need a proper number 10 (vital for the way KR wants us to play) another winger (we lack options, CMs out wide isn't really an option in a five man midfield) and a right back (could get by with Solly and Konsa but it's not ideal).

At least Lookman and Fox have left early in the window. Makes a change for us, we usually sell them with a few days or even hours to go.

Notice the other players we've been linked with are all fairly young, Byrne, Potts, Carruthers (not an option anymore) and Reeves. RD has perhaps found an English manager they suits his ideas - someone happy to manage a young team made up of signings and academy players. The Swindon game showed that wasn't going to be Slade, he went for an experienced midfield when so many could see he needed to take a risk with one or two youngsters to give us more pace and energy.

We could be very good to watch if KR can pull it off. Yet he's working for the owner that goes trough 2/3 managers a season. Before anyone leaves we could do with 2/3 more signings. Since RD took over that's usually the number we still need when the window closes. I'm not convinced it'll be any different this time.

I've said it from the beginning, Robinson is a man who sees himself as a developer of talent, who considers the development of players under his stewardship as a personal achievement, possibly above that of the club's development. He's spoken more about Dele Alli''s career than he has about getting MK Dons promoted for example.

If things work out then we could well end up with a young attacking exciting side that goes hand in hand with the club's progression.

But I think, almost in complete opposite to Slade, we will often see a side packed with too many young players with too much responsibility handed to them.

Any success under KR will coincide with youth team players getting their chance and improving (which is what he stakes his reputation on) and unfortunately will also coincide with the fattening of calves before selling them (see Konsa playing at RB regardless of potentially better alternatives, and taking the gamble of starting Konsa and Aribo in CM when promotion is said to be the aim).

IMO Robinson is RD's dream manager, with both more concerned about personal gain from developing young players than anything else. KR's ego and reputation, and RD limiting his losses. As fans, we just have to hope that it goes hand in hand with success on the pitch.
  • Halfway and not looking all bad, certainly a better place than where we were. We all new some would go, but if player wants to go there's not a lot you can do. At least they are bringing in new blood which is always a good thing and will give the team a lift, could still see a few more. Things certainly seem to be a little different to last season( in some ways). End of the season will prove if they got it right......play offs here we come.

You was never gonna win with a post like this with all your lols already! But with you we still could make the playoffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Halfway and not looking all bad, certainly a better place than where we were. We all new some would go, but if player wants to go there's not a lot you can do. At least they are bringing in new blood which is always a good thing and will give the team a lift, could still see a few more. Things certainly seem to be a little different to last season( in some ways). End of the season will prove if they got it right......play offs here we come.

I certainly wouldn't say it's a better place than where we were. Unless by 'where we were' you're referring to 9.30pm after the Millwall game.

However i'm not as doom and gloom as some on here and despite everything that's happened this season we are only 5 points off the play offs and are tough to beat (only 4 teams have lost fewer games).

We still need a minimum of 3 new signings (winger, number 10 and a right back) and if we can get those in, keep Holmes fit plus get Watt playing to a respectable level then there's not much in this shit division to suggest we can't at least make the play offs.

I'm not too despondent over the sales, Lookman was always going to go and Fox hasn't progressed and needed to go to get away from the boo boys for the sake of his career. KR has made some early moves in the transfer market and seems to be targeting young, pacy, hungry players which can only be a good thing for a side which at times this season has looked far too pedestrian to achieve anything. The emergence of Aribo and the moving of Konsa to midfield are also big positives. Let's see who else he can get in.
  • razil said:

We have lost our only prolific goal scorer, have we replaced him?

Sorry but 1 goal in every 4 games isn't prolific in my book.

• 25May98 said:

The only positive this season from last is the sofa being gone.

There's still couple of days to go on the DFS sale. Won't be another one for at least a week.
  • JonnyK said:

razil said:

We have lost our only prolific goal scorer, have we replaced him?

Sorry but 1 goal in every 4 games isn't prolific in my book.

Prolific mabye isn't the right word but he's been playing in midfield and likely would have ended up with 10+ by the end of the season.

Dasilva, Botaka or Chicksen will probably do ok but I'm not sure any of them could have done that over a full season. We really need Holmes back and scoring.
  • yeah blinding. I'm really enjoying the Dog and Duck League.
  • In answer to the original question of "Do we think it's looking good?" My answer is "No".

Whilst the transfer window this January may be the best we've had for some time and KR may just be onto something (fingers crossed etc.) it's too early to make any inferences.

I'm still of the opinion that whoever the manager/head coach is or who the players are matters not one bit. It's who the owner and CEO are that counts.

When Duchatalet and Meire are gone, then it will have every chance of looking good - although it will take time to repair the damage that's been done.

• Roland Out, please.
  • addick05 said:

aliwibble said:

My only hope is that Roland's liquidating his assets before selling up.

Let us pray this so but I have my doubts. Having read his interview it would appear that short of wrecking his office and threatening actual bodily harm he is not to be shifted. We just have to keep our fingers crossed for a late promotion push in the hope that he might sell if we get back into the Championship.

I don't think there's any chance of him selling if we get back to the Championship at the first attempt his little scheme will be working.
    Roland will have sold and got us out of league one,there would be more season ticket holders in the Championship and although the protests would continue the shine would've been taken off them.
    We could look forward though to roland spending £1 million trying to get us into the premier league.
    Roland's got a vision of us getting to the Premiership without spending f@ck all.
  • Sponsored links:

• the next two games will tell us a lot about the new manager and the team .. it's all very well rolling over a limited side like Bristol Rovers, Millwall and Scunthorpe are a different proposition .. I am an optimist and think that we are 'on the mend' .. we will see
  • I'm going to be spending more in tescos later than what we will in January
  • edited January 2017
    The evidence seems to be about player farming and player churning more than anything else.
    Under the umbrella of manager churn which removes any chance of a template being established that might at least make the farming and churning happen within some kind of structure.
    Is there any evidence of ambition, of team structuring, of a pattern or style being established? Roland signalled this player farming method in his first interview, reinforced by Katrien Miere in Dublin and proved by events.
    The churn is players like Watt, Vetokele, Sarr, Cebellos and others, and harvesting the farm is players like Poyet, THD, Harriott, Cousins, Gomez, Fox, Lookman and others.
    It seems pretty clear to me that results are almost accidental in the scheme of things, and the fans are supposed to be a passive quaint backdrop.
  • In terms of this window, we went into it with clear gaps in our squad

So far we have disposed of players that are wanted at a higher level. We have replaced with players currently not seen as making it at a higher level.

This may be the stabilising move for them and for our benefit but time will tell with that. We don't currently look a stronger team than were were a few weeks ago, but it's still early in the window and the wrong time to judge.

Come February we will know whether we've properly used the huge windfall, otherwise we'll start being fed the 'building for next season' excuse

We'll be "building for next season" in League One if they don't strengthen the side in this window. I fear that the emergence of Aribo & Chickeson will make them think "that's those positions sorted" but relying on such young, inexperienced players to perform week in week out at this stage of their career is a recipe for disaster (and not making at least the playoffs is a disaster).
  • Not sure about looking good; however definitely could have been looking better.
    Under Roly Stitchup eight of our academy players have gone to clubs with a higher league position. With the right signings we would have had a healthy squad that could compete in the Championship.I realise that in the real world some players do not want to stay; however, we don't try to hard to keep them either do we.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

yeah blinding. I'm really enjoying the Dog and Duck League.

Is that the one with palace and West Ham in it ? Funniest pub teams I've seen in a long time.

If good is mid table in division 3, then yes, we are doing amazing
  • edited January 2017