Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Things you know nothing about but most others do

Comments

• Global Warming.

I just thought we were still coming out of an ice age.
  • mobile phone tarrifs / usage - no idea how much it actually costs to download a programme, or browse the internet.

Just don't go over your data allowance. Every time i've had a bill high it's because I've gone over
  • Not sure about the types of tree thing TMA. I think most of us are in the same boat as you mate...

Well, that's a relief. Everybody in my village seems to know them. They say things like "you know the house near the larch" or similar. I just nod
  • DIY (as mentioned before)
    How a car works (I'm not sure I have opened the bonnet of a car for some time)
    Types of tree

The thing with modern cars is that you've pretty much got zero chance of fixing it yourself if you break down. The only time I ever open the bonnet on ours is to top up the windscreen washer fluid.

Usually it's a sensor that goes and you'll only find out which one by plugging it into a computer. Wouldn't have a chance trying some of the bodges I've used to get home in the past:

Using a paper clip to re-attach throttle cable to the carbs, turning the idle speed up to 2000rpm to stop it stalling when stationery, driving home with just 3rd gear working (praying that I wouldn't have to reverse) etc.
    Perhaps I really mean: how to open the bonnet. I really don't know.
  • Films, actors, actresses.
  • Driving around looking for the cheapest petrol.

Sainsbury's Eltham has been the cheapest for about 10 years (in our area).
  • Women and how their mind function.

No one knows how women's mind's function.
  • McBobbin said:

The royal family. I know people who know every royal we've had, what order, the years they were on the throne, what children they had... They are mistaken in their smugness. I know the current one, and Henry the 8th. But only because he's a unit of weight

Edit I do myself a disservice. I know of Richard III because he's a poo

And Elizabeth the 1st as she was on Blackadder
  • McBobbin said:

The royal family. I know people who know every royal we've had, what order, the years they were on the throne, what children they had... They are mistaken in their smugness. I know the current one, and Henry the 8th. But only because he's a unit of weight

Come to think of it I'm pretty sure king John was in Maid Marian and her Merry Men
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Come to think of it I'm pretty sure king John was in Maid Marian and her Merry Men
    And you have a Prince Albert
  • edited January 2017
    Swisdom said:

I go to Asda or Tesco for my petrol - they are usually the cheapest - Asda slightly cheaper than Tesco but you get clubcard points with Tesco.

Ask an AA man about Tesco fuel.....you'd be amazed how many people have fuel line issues and, when asked where they get their petrol from, it's a high percentage of Tesco fuel.
    Well, washing machine repair men will tell you they repair more of the cheaper brands than the expensive ones. But they don't know the different percentages SOLD for each brand, so the anecdotal evidence is meaningless.

Same goes for the views of AA/RAC men. Apart from perhaps these ones: Edmund King, president of the AA and visiting professor of transport at Newcastle University, says: “Petrol and diesel fuel quality is governed by the same European standard, whether it is sold at a supermarket in Manchester, a motorway service area on the M25 or an independent outside Mevagissey. Supermarkets source their fuels from all of the major producers and suppliers in the UK. All fuel sold here is tightly controlled and must conform to specifications.”

David Bizley, the RAC’s chief engineer, adds: “There is no difference between standard 95 RON petrols as long as they are purchased from a reputable supplier, so motorists should not have any concerns about petrol quality."

The last figures I could find indicated that Tesco sold around 15.5% of the country's vehicle fuel. It would be unsurprising, therefore if less than around one-in six failures was blamed on their fuel.
    One of our cars is according to the manufacturer happiest on 98 RON. Guess what? Last time I checked, BP and Esso had downgraded their products from 98 to 97. The standard stuff is 95 RON. Only Shell and tesco do a highr rating in the UK, both 99 RON, so that's what the car gets. If you buy the 99 octane stuff you get the best additives and detergents.

BTW, again last time I checked Tesco's fuel came from the UK's only national distributor, Greenergy. Most Esso fuel does too.

Edited to add: it took me a while to track down but for a Fortune 500 company, Greenergy's has remarkably few shareholders. By far the largest is the Tesco Pension Fund.
  • Shopping malls
    Celebrities
    Loyalty cards
    TV soaps
    Err. .thats it.

Shopping malls? What's there to know other than they exist?
  • Shares and Investments

Horse Racing and Betting (proper men things)

Gaming (proper teenager thing)
  • Coffee shops, coffee machines, coffee in Supermarkets.

Tea, milk and one small sugar for me please and I refuse to change.
  • edited January 2017
    DIY--Changing a lightbulb is just within the realm of what I am capable of. This also extends to decorating a house and unpacking things and what you need in a house, totally rubbish at all that.

Coffee, don't drink it.

Interacting IRL with other humans
  • What Roland is gonna do next.
  • Anything Science-ey past the absolute basics.
    Cars
    DIY

• Cars. Couldn't give a fuck mate.
    Celebrities. Even less fucks given.
    Good shout on Marvel/DC or whatever comics as well. Clueless.
  • Yep, Superheroes
  • Sponsored links:

• Science bollox.
  • Greenie said:

I'm sure @Greenie is gonna love this thread because he knows everything about everything and everyone needs to listen.

I knew you were gonna say that Mabel.
    You could at least give me a lol for it then...
  • Tax credits, allowances and benefits. Not a fucking scoob

Turns out my private health insurance is a con too. Told my GP I was privately covered and she smiled and shrugged. I spoke to them, they said I need to go see her again and get a letter. In fact I've got bored moaning about it but apparently everyone else at work understands the cover we can take and seems to use it all the time. I ain't any wiser yet poorer every month for it
  • Carter said:

Tax credits, allowances and benefits. Not a fucking scoob

Turns out my private health insurance is a con too. Told my GP I was privately covered and she smiled and shrugged. I spoke to them, they said I need to go see her again and get a letter. In fact I've got bored moaning about it but apparently everyone else at work understands the cover we can take and seems to use it all the time. I ain't any wiser yet poorer every month for it

Happen to know a fair bit about the benefit system so if you've got a specific questions feel free to inbox me..
  • DIY (as mentioned before)
    How a car works (I'm not sure I have opened the bonnet of a car for some time)
    Types of tree

The thing with modern cars is that you've pretty much got zero chance of fixing it yourself if you break down. The only time I ever open the bonnet on ours is to top up the windscreen washer fluid.

Usually it's a sensor that goes and you'll only find out which one by plugging it into a computer. Wouldn't have a chance trying some of the bodges I've used to get home in the past:

Using a paper clip to re-attach throttle cable to the carbs, turning the idle speed up to 2000rpm to stop it stalling when stationery, driving home with just 3rd gear working (praying that I wouldn't have to reverse) etc.
    Perhaps I really mean: how to open the bonnet. I really don't know.
    Blimey......what sort of cars do you buy?
  • edited January 2017
    Supermarket self checkout machines......all different and confusing for us impatient grumpy pensioners to deal with. I mean to say, how many times do you have to say you don't need an f'ing bag!
    I invariably end up calling for assistance......on occasions quite loudly.
  • Soaps - never watched any of them.
  • The UK benefits system
  • Carter said:

Tax credits, allowances and benefits. Not a fucking scoob

Happen to know a fair bit about the benefit system so if you've got a specific questions feel free to inbox me..
    That's very kind of you mate, I'm not in a position where I need to understand it fortunately but my point was I have no idea about it.

Pretty sure as a married man earning quite well I'm not entitled to anything but it's all the chat about it that loses me