Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• cough, Kemp.
  • cough Nash.

• But not six of them at the same time!
  • I remember some time ago, that Northants were the worst team at this when they had Hall as captain, and half their team were Saffers.
    A bit like Saracens were at around the same time.
  • But not six of them at the same time!

Only six ??????
  • Surrey have never had more than 1 Kolpak player at any one time in the entire time I have been watching us. You can say what you like about non-english born players but they are all English qualified and that is no different from the national team.
  • What are the Slurrey fans doing invading our topic again? You could say they're a bit obsessed!!! Or is it just a bit of insecurity about not having a proper team to follow?
  • Surrey have never had more than 1 Kolpak player at any one time in the entire time I have been watching us. You can say what you like about non-english born players but they are all English qualified and that is no different from the national team.

I wasn't talking about Surrey but Glamorgan. Having said that, would you care to confirm that Surrey have never, financially or otherwise, be involved in arranging scholarships for some of those players?

I wasn't talking about Surrey but Glamorgan. Having said that, would you care to confirm that Surrey have never, financially or otherwise, be involved in arranging scholarships for some of those players?
    There has been some suggestion here and elsewhere that Surrey have lots of Kolpak players. My personal opinion is it's okay if they are England qualified Hampshire recently had 5 or 6 non England qualified players in a championship 11. That is taking the piss in my view.

As for the question of schooling and scholarships, not that I'm aware of other than the Currans (all 3 including the middle brother Ben who isn't with Surrey) which was as a result of the sad situation of the sudden death of their father.
  • Surrey and Middlesex have both had a surprising number of players from S Africa, who've come over here during their childhood. I guess most moved to the London area.

Roy, Dernbach, Meaker, Strauss, Compton and effectively Malan (who spent much of his childhood in S Africa) all spring to mind
  • Sponsored links:

• Surrey and Middlesex have both had a surprising number of players from S Africa, who've come over here during their childhood. I guess most moved to the London area.

Roy, Dernbach, Meaker, Strauss, Compton and effectively Malan (who spent much of his childhood in S Africa) all spring to mind

Indeed. For the Surrey boys both Meaker and Roy 'happened' to be born in SA to English parents who returned when they were very young. Jade is a bit different as he is quite South African. He came over here at 14 and had never played crixket before. By his own admission we introduced him to cricket and so he considers his alliegences belong with us. All our England qualified. As said before it's those who aren't England qualified that annoy me.
  • Anyone there tonight ?

Bilbo fails again, sadly.....
  • Might go on Friday

Neesham has been a major disappointment, I hope we aren't paying him a vast sum
  • Kent 159/6 off 20 overs
    Hampshire 43/1 off 4 overs
  • What a comeback
  • Wow, Kent win by 5 runs, brilliant death bowling in the last 3 overs (will partially take back my comment on Neesham!)
  • edited August 2017
    Oh me of little faith !

Stopped listening to the Radio Solent commentary when Hants were roaring along but kept an eye on the scorecard....

Well done the lads !

Would love to be there on Friday.....

Sadly, I'll be at the Olympic Stadium , hopefully cheering on Mo towards another Gold.
  • Will be there on Friday to see us play Sussex. Hopefully a win double this weekend :smile:

Looking back on the thread, I see the park and ride recommended, that looks a real bargain (£1 after 4pm)
  • Was a good finish that. Penultimate over from Coles really sealed it.
  • Didn't see that coming
  • Sponsored links:

• Hampshire blew that. seeing as I am in Hampshire they will get it today...
  • Blimey six South African born players in the Glamorgan side plus an Aussie - that really won't help the development of the Welsh national team will it?

Glamorgan have added Van der Gugten and Selman to their squad meaning that they could have seven South Africans and two Australians in their team against Gloucester. Joking apart, that is truly shocking.
  • Blimey six South African born players in the Glamorgan side plus an Aussie - that really won't help the development of the Welsh national team will it?

Glamorgan have added Van der Gugten and Selman to their squad meaning that they could have seven South Africans and two Australians in their team against Gloucester. Joking apart, that is truly shocking.
    Well, one has to ask how many Welshman play cricket, not that many is my guess.
  • When you compare how Glamorgan and Durham have been treated by the ECB, with the number of England players produced by the two counties, it looks even more glaring...
  • Oh me of little faith !

Stopped listening to the Radio Solent commentary when Hants were roaring along but kept an eye on the scorecard....

Well done the lads !

Would love to be there on Friday.....

Sadly, I'll be at the Olympic Stadium , hopefully cheering on Mo towards another Gold.

Don't be sorry about Friday; you should have a great night Friday. Not only Mo, but you will see Bolt in the heats and Laura Muir in the heats. Enjoy!

Well, one has to ask how many Welshman play cricket, not that many is my guess.
    I think you might be surprised. The Kent age group teams regularly play Wales:

http://www.cricketwales.org.uk/
  • edited August 2017
    http://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/carl-hooper-a-special-talent/

Nice article about Carl Hooper. It's a shame that Kent haven't had any recent overseas stars who've played with us for a decent length of time, instead of the "join for 2 months" type signings, but I guess the modern international fixture list is much more cluttered with internationals and T20 tournaments
  • O dear not a good start tonight. 33-3 atm
  • Lovely evening for it....oh 4 out now