Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2017

Comments

• Empty vessels etc ....

Great win.
  • Nice one!
  • Would love to see Sam Northeast get a chance for England. Such a classy player and well capable of doing a job anywhere in top 5 for England.

Interestingly, I remember reading a story. Gary Ballance and Sam Northeast were both in the same school side at Harrow, and Geoff Boycott was sent down by Yorkshire to give an update on Ballance who was in their youth set-up. Apparently, Boycott came back and said yeah we've got a good player on our hands, but there was another kid in the side on a different level....Sam Northeast.

There was also an interview yesterday during the interval on Sky with the guy who sponsors the main youth cricket competition in this country. Said if he could put his house on any player to play for England that played in his tournament it would of been Sam Northeast. Considering just about every England player goes through that system, that is some comment!

Think captaincy has seen him develop more and more as a player, and think he deserves a shot. Certainly no worse than some of the dross being given a shot currently!

Completely agree, but fear he won't get the opportunity playing in Division 2. There just seems such a bias against it. Fingers crossed Kent go up and next season he gets a chance after scoring for fun in Div 1.

He's a class player and think he'd go well for England. Has a very good technique and has been around the circuit long enough to (hopefully) have some of that mental toughness.
  • edited July 2017
    I'd like to see him at Surrey to be honest. Experienced middle order bat is exactly what we need...
  • I'd like to see him at Surrey to be honest. Experienced middle order bat is exactly what we need...

This comment obviously doesn't warrant a flag as a Surrey supporter has simply stated he wants kents captain and best batsman......but if there was an unlike button it would have been pressed
  • I'd like to see him at Surrey to be honest. Experienced middle order bat is exactly what we need...

This comment obviously doesn't warrant a flag as a Surrey supporter has simply stated he wants kents captain and best batsman......but if there was an unlike button it would have been pressed
    I'm just fishing. ;)
  • Glamorgan 111-1 off 11. Not looking good.
  • Looks like Stevens is injured, opened the bowling & only bowled 1 over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Glamorgan 199-2
    Kent 38-1
  • 83-1 off nine.
  • Glamorgan was 88-1 (8.5 ovs)

Kent are 83-1 (9 overs)
  • edited July 2017
    110-2 Northeast 60 (11.2 Overs)
  • edited July 2017
    125-3 (13.2 ovs) Blake 4

Kent Spitfires need 74 runs to win from 6.3 overs
  • (16.0 overs) 143-for 3 wickets

Kent Spitfires need 57 runs to win from 4.0 overs
  • Blimey six South African born players in the Glamorgan side plus an Aussie - that really won't help the development of the Welsh national team will it?
  • Kent Spitfires need 41 runs to win from 2.0 overs
  • 159-4 (17.6 ovs) Denly 68
  • Kent Spitfires need 36 runs to win from 1.0 overs
  • Sponsored links:

There must be something wrong with Stevens and not just in this game - in the last 7 matches he has only bowled just 5 overs and never more than one in any of them. He is also batting at 7 and as one of our most destructive batsmen that is a surprise too. Is he still not right after getting his on the head?

There must be something wrong with Stevens and not just in this game - in the last 7 matches he has only bowled just 5 overs and never more than one in any of them. He is also batting at 7 and as one of our most destructive batsmen that is a surprise too. Is he still not right after getting his on the head?
    I think the reason is the rather more prosaic one of Neesham costing Kent a lot and they want their pound of flesh. Stevo is arguably the closest player to him so is effectively the one to make way even though actually physically dropping a fit Stevens with his track record is unthinkable..
  • Blimey six South African born players in the Glamorgan side plus an Aussie - that really won't help the development of the Welsh national team will it?

WOW !!!!

Almost as many as Surrey.....!

Can't blame me for this defeat, lads.

Only just logged on today after a weekend looking after the Dorking based grandkids so missed both our tremendous performance at The Valley yesterday & today's match at Canterbury.

Oh well...win some, lose some, I guess.
  • LenGlover said:

Looks like Stevens is injured, opened the bowling & only bowled 1 over.

I think the reason is the rather more prosaic one of Neesham costing Kent a lot and they want their pound of flesh. Stevo is arguably the closest player to him so is effectively the one to make way even though actually physically dropping a fit Stevens with his track record is unthinkable..
    Neesham was a massive handbrake on Kent's run chase today. I know they're paying him to help win games but batting him ahead of Billings and Stevens is not the way to win a game
  • edited July 2017
    Did Millwall Kent lose again today?, oh, what a shame.
    When do you next play us for your yearly 'please let us win' game? We kindly oblige just to keep the pikeys happy.
    oh well, see you (not) on finals day- you wont be missed.
  • There were 2 stages of the game where we lost it today. Letting them get 33 off the last 2 overs after having a good 6 over spell which only conceded 48. Claydon bowled the 18th over really well for just 6 and that included a 4 which was rather fortunate. Not sure why he didn't bowl the last over ( he had only bowled 3) whereas neither Coles or Nesham who bowled the last 2 had bowled well. Dickson did replace stevens on the field which was also unfortunate as his 1 over was the least expensive at just 4 runs.
    The other stage was after North East got out. we were well placed but firstly strange decision to put both Blake and then Neesham in ahead of Billings. Neesham looked out of sorts and was also totally unwilling to run and turn 1's into 2's.

We now probably need to win 5 out of the last 6 to go through which seems unlikely.

WOW !!!!

Only just logged on today after a weekend looking after the Dorking based grandkids so missed both our tremendous performance at The Valley yesterday & today's match at Canterbury.

All of our South African born players are England qualified. Most of them are barely South African - happened to be born there to English parents who moved back to England when they were less than a year old or similar. Dernbach came over when he was 14 having never played cricket before, was introduced to the game here and so feels his alliegences belong with us. The Currans was a particularly sad situation with the sudden death of their father although I believe Sam (and middle brother Ben) was born over here and they have English grandparents.
  • Of course, Kent have never used the Kolpak system, have they ?! (cough, Van Jaarsveld, cough McLaren).

WOW !!!!

So, Fanny, the grandkids have chosen to live in.........Surrey. It must grate.