Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Re funds to be made available to Robinson?

Comments

• Options
    I guess we now see the strategy crystal clear. Long term football factory farm approach to eventually make more money than we lose, no ambition as such, feeder club.
  • Options
    Now see?

Hasn't this been the point of the protests all along?

Wow we have changed and learned from our mistakes.

Well mistakes:

a) Katrien speaking in public appears to have been learned from
    B ) Roland speaking in public on football, continued epic fail
    C) appropriate backing and deals in any transfer window, too early to say for this one but it's not looking promising is it?
    D) regrettable lack of understanding of owner of anything apparently

Not a great record is it?
  • Options
    So Robinson gets 5% of the up front for Lookman, any other money he gets from player sales.
    Do we assume that if he sells Roger Johnson for £5million he has all of that, or all the Fox money, or whatever? Or is it 5% of all sales?. If it is, keep Lookman, indeed in the suggested scenario keep Lookman anyway, sell Fox for £500,000 and he would have more money to play with.
  • Options
    W
  • Options
    edited January 2017

@Henry Irving

Do you believe this shower can persuade Everton to put £8m on the table for Lookman, when they could only get 1.5m for Gudmunsson.?

Half of that, I reckon

What I've heard from two separate sources. May or may not be true but that is what is being said.

Lookman is young, English and a goalscorer all of which bring a premium.
    Don't get me wrong. I could imagine that, say Sheff Utd could sell Lookman for £8m and Gud for £5m no problem. Gomez undersold too, with a murky role of an agent ensuring there were no competitive bids.

RD wants to cash in. Instructions must be followed.

Wish I could be less cynical, but where is the evidence that anything has changed?

In reality I think the difference here is that Lookman is not 'demanding' a move, whereas Gomez agent wanted him to move to Liverpool and Gudmunnsson was never, ever, going to play in the Third Division. I don't know why Lookman is so different, but having listened to him speak at a Junior Reds function (with my son) I think he was genuinely committed to us. My best guess is that Lookman has an agent with a different attitude

It's very hard to get top price for a player when the player has let it be known that he has no intention of staying at the selling club.
    Just made a small but IMO important correction for the record

• Options
    so is it confirmed that just 5% of any incoming transfer fees is to be made available for player purchases or is this just another rumour with nil plausibility attached to it ?
  • Options
    edited January 2017

so is it confirmed that just 5% of any incoming transfer fees is to be made available for player purchases or is this just another rumour with nil plausibility attached to it ?

Whether it's true or not - and it was circulating among the club's own staff yesterday - it was based on Lookman, not "any incoming transfer fees". It's quite logical to assume that sales not currently expected could be added to the pot, which is what I think Robinson said himself. He would have to sell others to generate money if he wants to spend more. In terms of budgetary planning it's a highly plausible approach for RD, just not for anyone with realistic ambition to get promoted this season. But we'll see.
  • Options

Heard the £400,000 figure yesterday too.

That was how much Karl spent on drinks for the players after yesterday's win
  • Options

Complete misreading of what was said.

Rumour heard by many on here (redmidland, Airman Brown, me, etc) was that Robinson has been given 400k to spend including wages.

I made the COMPARISON that that was only 5% of the upfront Lookman fee of £8m NOT that Robinson was getting 5% of all incoming fees.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Well If I was KR I'd be driving Fox to Sheff Wed with a £2m price tag then!
  • Options

Heard the £400,000 figure yesterday too.

That was how much Karl spent on drinks for the players after yesterday's win
    And Big Josh deserved every drop of his Cheval Blanc 1945.
  • Options
    £400k is naff all money to bolster for a promotion push especially if it includes net present value of wages on the additions.

To get anyone in would require 6 month loans, no fee in and most wages paid by lending club.

Permanent deals would be on a 2 out 1 in basis.
  • Options

Rumour heard by many on here (redmidland, Airman Brown, me, etc) was that Robinson has been given 400k to spend including wages.

I made the COMPARISON that that was only 5% of the upfront Lookman fee of £8m NOT that Robinson was getting 5% of all incoming fees.
    that makes more sense .. £400,000 at our level including wages of (say) £110-150,000 a year indicates one or two players signed at a smallish fee or perhaps three on frees .. but £8 million up front for Lookman ? .. I would think that is wildly optimistic .. the fee will be 'undisclosed' unless somebody outside the closed CAFC management circle actually knows the real figure, and that is extremely unlikely .. anyway if 400 grand is the figure, so be it

I would suggest that Robinson might well like to bring in 4 or 5 'quality' players but does he really need that number ? .. a 'quality' midfielder would be nice, but he won't come cheap ... and (I have not seen them play together yet) could not Konsa and Aribo together alongside Crofts be an answer to the 'midfield question' ? .. personally I would sooner they were given the role rather than an 'experienced' midfielder be brought in for the sake of it
  • Options
    razil said:

I guess we now see the strategy crystal clear. Long term football factory farm approach to eventually make more money than we lose, no ambition as such, feeder club.

Did we not know that from day 1?
  • Options

@Henry Irving

Do you believe this shower can persuade Everton to put £8m on the table for Lookman, when they could only get 1.5m for Gudmunsson.?

Half of that, I reckon

What I've heard from two separate sources. May or may not be true but that is what is being said.

Lookman is young, English and a goalscorer all of which bring a premium.
    Don't get me wrong. I could imagine that, say Sheff Utd could sell Lookman for £8m and Gud for £5m no problem. Gomez undersold too, with a murky role of an agent ensuring there were no competitive bids.

RD wants to cash in. Instructions must be followed.

Wish I could be less cynical, but where is the evidence that anything has changed?

In reality I think the difference here is that Lookman is not 'demanding' a move, whereas Gomez wanted to move to Liverpool and Gudmunnsson was never, ever, going to play in the Third Division. I don't know why Lookman is so different, but having listened to him speak at a Junior Reds function (with my son) I think he was genuinely committed to us. My best guess is that Lookman has an agent with a different attitude

It's very hard to get top price for a player when the player has let it be known that he has no intention of staying at the selling club.
    But difficult to say "no" to a move when the player is promised four or five times the money he's on.
    Precisely.

At this level the best intentions go flying out of the window when money is mentioned.

I imagine Poyet, Elliott and Hamer are not too concerned that game time has been at a minimum since they left Charlton.
  • Options

£400k is naff all money to bolster for a promotion push especially if it includes net present value of wages on the additions.

To get anyone in would require 6 month loans, no fee in and most wages paid by lending club.

The secondary problem is that we have too many surplus players who are on contracts that no one else will give them, which is the product of previous bad decision making. Hence we struggle to get them out.
    Don't worry. Only another circa 180 weekly wage packets we have to give to nabby sarr.
  • Options
    Robinson has alluded to progress and success, otherwise 'what's the point?' or however he put it. He has invoked the injured players and the youngsters as possibilities that excite him (I would advise a bit of caution to him in those areas) but from memory he has, even with that knowledge, said he wants:

a striker
    a number 10
    two midfielders
    a winger

to be fair he has alluded to players leaving too.

Good luck with that shopping list with just a £400k float to get started.

The significant part of that equation is the bit about success, or 'what's the point?'

I wonder if Karl has been told what the point is, and it didn't include any footballing success.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

razil said:

Did we not know that from day 1?
    Some said it, many realised along the way, some amazingly still don't despite it being laid bare for all to see. They also aren't very good at it..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    what refunds are these that Robinson is getting? Has his missus returned her Christmas presents to John Lewis or something?
  • Options

The secondary problem is that we have too many surplus players who are on contracts that no one else will give them, which is the product of previous bad decision making. Hence we struggle to get them out.
    Yes, Watt, Ba, Sarr, vetokele, Johnson must all be mostly not playing for us but have been paid for by us.

No one in their right mind would offer them anything close to length of contract or wages for these 'championship' level players who can't make it into a league 1 managers plans.
  • Options

No Lincs, I think HI has misled us all here. Giving it the big'un about his inside knowledge, showing off to other lifers
  • Options

Whether it's true or not - and it was circulating among the club's own staff yesterday - it was based on Lookman, not "any incoming transfer fees". It's quite logical to assume that sales not currently expected could be added to the pot, which is what I think Robinson said himself. He would have to sell others to generate money if he wants to spend more. In terms of budgetary planning it's a highly plausible approach for RD, just not for anyone with realistic ambition to ever get promoted this season. But we'll see.
    Fixed that for you...

I still expect to see more leaving than coming in (I would not be surprised if, other than Fox, the regime accepted bids for any or all of Bauer, Texiera, Konsa, Phillips, Aribo, Lennon, Ajose, or Magennis - as they have either been okay this season, or okay recently enough, to interest potential suitors), we will continue to be vulnerable to injuries because of the lack of squad depth.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I would suggest that Robinson might well like to bring in 4 or 5 'quality' players but does he really need that number ? .. a 'quality' midfielder would be nice, but he won't come cheap ... and (I have not seen them play together yet) could not Konsa and Aribo together alongside Crofts be an answer to the 'midfield question' ? .. personally I would sooner they were given the role rather than an 'experienced' midfielder be brought in for the sake of it
    I think it's asking a lot of two youngsters to carry the midfield for the rest of the season. These guys need to be brought on in their careers gradually and not get burnt out by 22. Look at Marcus Rashford at Manure, 8 PL appearances I think, 7 as a sub (albeit in a much stronger first XI).

It'll be interesting to see where Ademola, Konsa and Aribo end up in 5 or 10 years.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Whether it's true or not - and it was circulating among the club's own staff yesterday - it was based on Lookman, not "any incoming transfer fees". It's quite logical to assume that sales not currently expected could be added to the pot, which is what I think Robinson said himself. He would have to sell others to generate money if he wants to spend more. In terms of budgetary planning it's a highly plausible approach for RD, just not for anyone with realistic ambition to ever get promoted this season. But we'll see.
    Fixed that for you...

I still expect to see more leaving than coming in (I would not be surprised if, other than Fox, the regime accepted bids for any or all of Bauer, Texiera, Konsa, Phillips, Aribo, Lennon, Ajose, or Magennis - as they have either been okay this season, or okay recently enough, to interest potential suitors), we will continue to be vulnerable to injuries because of the lack of squad depth.
    Any of the central defenders except Johnson I'm sure they'd sell, with Teixeira top of the list by a distance because of his wages. They'd probably pay him to play for someone else if they could, as with previous loans. For the same reason, Tex is least likely to get a permanent move, IMO. Hopefully he stays.

Nobody's buying Johnson, obviously.
  • Options

I'm just wondering how much we paid for Francis Jeffers....

£2.6m :neutral:
  • Options
    BBC reporting £11M for Lookman.
  • Options

BBC reporting £11M for Lookman.

«Charlton had hoped Everton would loan Lookman back to them for the rest of the season but he is seen as someone who could quickly play a part at Goodison Park»

Another screw up - thanks Lazy Daisy - but, at least KR's got 400k to splash around... Can't believe Lookman's worth 11m when a tried and trusted international like Schneiderlin is going for 19m.. I think Everton are paying way over the odds but time will tell
  • Options
    Has KR commented on the outcome of his trip to Belgium? He was very vocal beforehand, saying he was going over to talk etc.