Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Bristol Rovers 2017 Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    First 40 mins shambles....got a goal at the right moment second half different class. Went to both games and in both games could and should have got more. I am puzzled to see where they are in the league.
  • Options
    Nug said:

sam3110 said:

Nug said:

Easy win, they were a very poor side let's be honest. Magennis was great, first goal came out of the blue in a very turgid first half. Bit of confidence before some tough games is good though.

I'd argue the 10 minutes of pressure we had before the equaliser was only ever going to end in a goal.

Make no mistake, if Bauer didn't slip Bristol wouldn't have scored today, even if we played another game right after
    Not gonna argue about 10 minutes, enough of that on here. Agree they wouldn't have scored without the mistake they were terrible team, as are a lot of them in this league. We are average at best but think we have enough to scrape into playoffs and probably will.
    Must be an average league then nug because I've not really seen many teams that are that much better than us,granted I've not seen us much better than many other teams
  • Options

Posting without thinking.

Poor first 45 mins. Bloke in front of me giving pelters to Robinson for Bauer slipping for their goal. You can't legislate for that ever. Timely equaliser just before the break and noticed KR hurrying up the players down the tunnel for half time. Whatever he wanted to say must have worked because straight away we put Rovers on the back foot. This despite still not having control of midfield. Konsa, Crofts and Aribo are not the answer. Botaka works hard for the team but continues to frustrate. Can't fault his effort. First four goals of the match all down to poor defending. Rovers must be sick of the sight of us. Magennis look isolated in the first half but with the team trying to push forward he came into his own. Apart from his three goals he was unlucky with a couple of other efforts.

Really hope Robinson can get those central midfielders in because with that, luck and a fair wind we might just might squeak top six.

Onwards and upwards.

Konsa used to play centre mid for youth teams and I heard that the midfield was very good today!
  • Options
    This comes as no surprise considering we had our lucky referee, Darren Deadman. Top quality ref, who always seems to bring out the best in us.
    I await confirmation that he put in his usual superb display of officiating.
  • Options
    That's more like it. Thanks to the community trust for the six free tickets.

What a difference having mobile midfielders makes.

Solly back and back to his aggressive self.

First half hour we were poor though.

Bad mistake from the BFG. He owes the others a drink but otherwise defence was sound.

Cant see how Rovers are/were top six and shows that if we can get any sort of consistently going we can be but also worth remembering that that was the first home league win in a long while.

Thought that when Botaka pushed further up after 30 mins there was more space which Aribo and Konsa exploited well. Both look skillful and willing to run at people and won free kicks from which we scored the first two goals. They left Crofts to sit and he was comfortable in that.

Botaka was a nuisance and more, Tex immense and scored, Fox solid, Bauer good bar the obvious, Philips sound, Chicksen worked hard without shining.

Which leaves Big Josh. Not been on it in the games I've seen recently and was still very isolated for long periods but took all three goals well especially the third and hit the bar twice. He was furious with Aribo for not playing him in too. Worked hard so very pleased for him.

Sure there will be harder games, starting with Millwall, but there is potential there.

Shame not to see Desilva at the end and we settled for the result with 10 to go but hey, we won.

Shame so few there to see it but we know why that is. No point some claiming all is well and please come back.

Only 5% of the Lookman fee being given to Robinson to spend and that includes wages.
  • Options
    Yeh the ref was very good. Surprised he refs league 1 tbh.

Good performance in the 2nd half. Really like the fact we kept attacking after we got the second, shows a positive attitude.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2017
    PWR.

It is great to leave the Valley smiling and in a good mood.
    Mind you, when Tex made the mistake and Bristol Rovers scored, for the next half an hour they were in control, and our performance dipped after a bright opening 10 minutes.
    It was handy that Rovers were very brittle, and a nicely flighted free kick from Aribo, although a routine cross, found an unmarked Josh who headed in unerringly. From that moment Bristol Rovers more or less crumbled, a lot of unforced errors, and maybe the 5-1 at their place, and the unfamiliarity of playing at the Valley, plus a more energised effort from us drained them of confidence and belief.
    The second Magennis goal was almost a copy of the first and pretty criminal marking from Bristol, Josh must have been planning his celebration as the ball entered the area because he could hardly miss, a good cross from Aribo by the way.
    The Bristol boss had been profligate with his substitutions at their place, and just after a double sub, made to get back into the game, Aribo laid it on with a cherry on top, a generous layer of marzipan too, and all Tex had to be was the icing. He must have been delighted to score (clearly onside BTW), especially as his first half performance contained a glaring error and a generally poor performance. Tex was a different player second half.
    The hat trick goal was simply excellent. Another through ball from Crofts found Josh bearing in, with plenty of time to mess up, and to think, this could be my hat trick, but he curled it in beyond the keeper beautifully to a delighted reception from everybody. A lovely hat trick and a MoM performance which I will give a 10 to in the players marks. I was thinking yesterday, with all the turmoil, and Holmes injured, who was front runner for player of the season at the moment, today puts Josh firmly in front in that particular contest in my view.
    A lovely win by the end, the only disappointment was not seeing the new bloke, but there may have been some reason Foley came on instead of him.
    Oh, for all the people who have a go at Fox, i thought he was good today and it was nice to see him escape without a barracking which some in the crowd were itching to give him.
    We weren't totally comprehensive winners today, but it was pretty damn good, and the best home game of the season so far for me.

Edit. It was bauer who slipped not tex. Apologies.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    ross1 said:

Leuth said:

Best performance in ages. Good feeling about KR if we keep playing like that. Energy, skill and drive of Aribo and Konsa key to it. No. 4's time, alas, is truly up now, especially if we're adding Carruthers

I assume you mean the second half, first half seemed dire
    It was. Quite dreadful for 30 mins. But then we started to make runs off the ball and it pushed them back.

2nd half started well and we pushed them back even further. Game was played in their half and they couldn't get out. Their defending for Josh's two headers was appalling.

Forget the Bauer error....our back four looked excellent. Blotted Rovers out and then picked them off.
  • Options

Beardface said:

Good result. KR will be insufferable after this - he already thinks the sun shines out of his arse.

How dare he be excitable after a good win at home and gaining 7 point's in 3 games? If he was a member on here, we could drag him down maybe?
    He's a confident bloke and will come across arrogant but it's better than being miserable and boring.
    Confidence is one thing - a lot of mangers have a whiff of arrogance. However the guy needs to know when to stop talking. He doesn't shut up and ends up coming across an arrogant fool rather than anything good, triping himself up with crass statements. In my opinion.
  • Options

Poor first 45 mins. Bloke in front of me giving pelters to Robinson for Bauer slipping for their goal. You can't legislate for that ever. Timely equaliser just before the break and noticed KR hurrying up the players down the tunnel for half time. Whatever he wanted to say must have worked because straight away we put Rovers on the back foot. This despite still not having control of midfield. Konsa, Crofts and Aribo are not the answer. Botaka works hard for the team but continues to frustrate. Can't fault his effort. First four goals of the match all down to poor defending. Rovers must be sick of the sight of us. Magennis look isolated in the first half but with the team trying to push forward he came into his own. Apart from his three goals he was unlucky with a couple of other efforts.

Really hope Robinson can get those central midfielders in because with that, luck and a fair wind we might just might squeak top six.

Onwards and upwards.

I can only say I am "disappointed" that you think a young midfielder, on his home debut, who gets an assist for 3 of the 4 goals we scored, you consider to be "nit the answer"!
  • Options

This comes as no surprise considering we had our lucky referee, Darren Deadman. Top quality ref, who always seems to bring out the best in us.
    I await confirmation that he put in his usual superb display of officiating.

Got in the way of the play an awful lot and gave a joke throw in in front of the East Stand second half but other than that
  • Options
    Well done lads - a great way to start the year.
    Bit of a rest - then the same for the spanners please.
  • Options
    Broke my self imposed exile today but that's only because the missus told me that I'd been a proper misery since August and she got me a late surprise xmas present. First 40 minutes we were crud and I couldn't see where a goal was going to come from. Thought the formation was a strange one with one up front and an inexperienced midfield. Once we got the equaliser there was only going to be one winner. Well done, you've set the bar. Just need to keep this level up for the rest of the season and in particular, the next home game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    While it's nice to sea a win, a hat-trick and the return of the tunnel jump, I'm not getting carried away. Rovers were so poor defensively, I can see why they have one of the worst goals against in the league. Shocking marking for the two headed goals and everybody stood around scratching themselves while Tex popped in a loose ball. The hat-trick goal was very well taken but it was from a straight ball over the top.

Good to see Robinson make a big effort to get the crowd onside, winning helps but it felt like everyone was pointing in the same direction for the first time in a long time.
  • Options

That's more like it. Thanks to the community trust for the six free tickets.

What a difference having mobile midfielders makes.

Solly back and back to his aggressive self.

First half hour we were poor though.

Bad mistake from the BFG. He owes the others a drink but otherwise defence was sound.

Cant see how Rovers are/were top six and shows that if we can get any sort of consistently going we can be but also worth remembering that that was the first home league win in a long while.

Thought that when Botaka pushed further up after 30 mins there was more space which Aribo and Konsa exploited well. Both look skillful and willing to run at people and won free kicks from which we scored the first two goals. They left Crofts to sit and he was comfortable in that.

Botaka was a nuisance and more, Tex immense and scored, Fox solid, Bauer good bar the obvious, Philips sound, Chicksen worked hard without shining.

Which leaves Big Josh. Not been on it in the games I've seen recently and was still very isolated for long periods but took all three goals well especially the third and hit the bar twice. He was furious with Aribo for not playing him in too. Worked hard so very pleased for him.

Sure there will be harder games, starting with Millwall, but there is potential there.

Shame not to see Desilva at the end and we settled for the result with 10 to go but hey, we won.

Shame so few there to see it but we know why that is. No point some claiming all is well and please come back.

Only 5% of the Lookman fee being given to Robinson to spend and that includes wages.

If correct regards the 5% it suggests to me a few loan signings. Again.
  • Options
    Think too many are getting carried away by the victory. I thought that all the passing and neat triangles in midfield were played by the visitors. It fell over for them because the front two for Rovers were terrible.

Don't get me wrong. I thought our midfield had the most energy it's had all season but that three won't get us into the top six.

Rovers look square at the back and blunt up front.

Nice feeling to feel happy leaving The Valley. Rare these days.
  • Options

Onwards and upwards.

Konsa broke up play, ran with the ball at his feet but a few wayward passes but he will get better. Aribo, 3 assists and won the free kick that hit the bar by running at the defence. Crofts marshalled them both well. Best midfield formula of the season so far
    Only really saw it once but was good to see Fox marshalling Aribo with his positioning as well

Its great having these kids coming through the Academy but it's also great seeing the experienced heads aiding in their development
  • Options

We put no pressure on Bristol Rovers first half and they were very comfortable passing the ball around. Quite nice to watch tbf. As soon as we put pressure on them they fell to pieces. I thought their defending was laughable actually - they totally totally undermined all their efforts by leaving Big Mag unmarked.

Notable mention to Crofts who was very good for the full 90, Aribo for sensational assists and to Bauer for keeping his head up.

Said it in the Player Marks but the interception from Crofts was sensational...

We'd just gone 2-1 up and had he not been there to stop a cross (Fair enough he gave away a corner) it would have been 2-2 and god knows how the game would have gone
  • Options
    Good win and played well. Croft's is some player. I don't get how other people can't see how important he is to us. Josh looked a handful and it was funny seeing his kid running all over the place before kick off. My son was mascot today and KR spent time with the boys and I got a chance to speak with him. I was very impressed with what he had to say. He alluded to concern over potential problems with Nicky and Watt. Be interesting to see how that pans out. Fingers crossed for a a good run and push up the league.