Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Options
    DP: Look at all the chances I'm gonna get to move before Friday
    JW: I cant see anything, your hand is empty
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Phillips won't be sold, because no other club in the championship
    will sign he up, he wants to be a number1, not second choice, and
    he doesn't think he is a league one player.
    So, what will he do, stay here and see out his contract like Taylor?
    Seems like the most likely scenario if his contract isn't cancelled.
    If that happens be interested to see where he shows up next summer... If its not as a No.1 then Bowyers tactics have effectively worked

As he can then turn round to any of the squad saying:

Okay you want to leave, thats fine but if you dont sign a new deal then thats the risk you're taking, sign a new deal and if a decent offer comes in then we wont stand in your way

Its why I'm against ripping up his contract, we do that and we're almost giving control to the players, others will see what we've done with Phillips and will think that they can take similar action when their contract is running down - What these players need to learn is that if they dont sign a new deal, they're hindering their own career rather than hindering the club.

Stop doing that and player power will only get stronger!!
    I agree that player power needs to be curtailed but the realism is that
    if they want to they can currently do just that, stay on their existing
    contract as per Taylor, and run it down.
    I feel that Phillips will stay on because he has no choice, no one else
    wants him and his seemingly HUGE ego in their team, and also not as
    a number one, which he feels he is worthy of in the championship.
    God, these bloody people who think they are a cut above their realistic
    value, and as you say, should he knuckle down and work at his career
    then in a year he may get the move he wants and would deserve.

How would you “curtail” player power?
    You can't can you, and that is the point, as i said the realism is
    that they hold the ultimate power at this time, and can almost
    hold the club to ransom until they get what they want.
    So at this time either he stays in reserve, which doesn't help
    either party, sold on the cheap, or contract release.

I don’t think anyone’s being held to ransom. It’s a contractual relationship, once it ends then neither party has any further commitment to the other and I’m totally comfortable with that and think it’s the way it should be. 

Now if Phillips said he wouldn’t play if selected or wouldn’t put his all in then that’s a different story but I don’t believe that’s the case, in fact by freezing him out I would say that we are the unreasonable party in this situation. 
    I agree that no one is being held to ransom literally, but in a realistic situation
    it is what Lee and the club are trying to avoid by withdrawing the No.1 jersey
    from Phillips.
    And i agree with your findings that the club could be found to be at fault in
    freezing him out, but at the same time they are trying to avoid another Taylor
    scenario, which comes back to my point of player power, they hold all the cards
    when the last year of a contract is in force.
    So, it would be good if Phillips agreed to an extension, until next season, but i
    think too much water has passed, and both parties are not going to blink first
    and another player takes us to the cleaners.

What are you on about "another player takes us to the cleaners" ? How is he doing that ? Why should he sign an extension ? WTF has it to do with player power ? He is an employee & is contracted until the end of the season & has given notice that he won't sign a new contract when his current one expires as every player has the right to do. Why is there a witch hunt against Philips ? He hasn't refused to play, LB announced that if he doesn't sign a new contract then he wouldn't be picked to play. Sounds like blackmail to me. Patrick Bauer refused to sign a new contract, nobody criticized him & he waltzed off to PNE acclaimed as a Charlton legend.  
    This. Apart from Doughty, Phillips is probably the only player left where we can command a reasonable fee. It is this and the fact that we have two other keepers that is dictating LB's stance but I have a nasty feeling that this is going to backfire and he will just end up sitting in the stand drawing his money. And frankly who could blame him?

• Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    If that happens be interested to see where he shows up next summer... If its not as a No.1 then Bowyers tactics have effectively worked

Okay you want to leave, thats fine but if you dont sign a new deal then thats the risk you're taking, sign a new deal and if a decent offer comes in then we wont stand in your way

Its why I'm against ripping up his contract, we do that and we're almost giving control to the players, others will see what we've done with Phillips and will think that they can take similar action when their contract is running down - What these players need to learn is that if they dont sign a new deal, they're hindering their own career rather than hindering the club.

I don’t think anyone’s being held to ransom. It’s a contractual relationship, once it ends then neither party has any further commitment to the other and I’m totally comfortable with that and think it’s the way it should be. 

Now if Phillips said he wouldn’t play if selected or wouldn’t put his all in then that’s a different story but I don’t believe that’s the case, in fact by freezing him out I would say that we are the unreasonable party in this situation. 
    I agree that no one is being held to ransom literally, but in a realistic situation
    from Phillips.
    So, it would be good if Phillips agreed to an extension, until next season, but i

What are you on about "another player takes us to the cleaners" ? How is he doing that ? Why should he sign an extension ? WTF has it to do with player power ? He is an employee & is contracted until the end of the season & has given notice that he won't sign a new contract when his current one expires as every player has the right to do. Why is there a witch hunt against Philips ? He hasn't refused to play, LB announced that if he doesn't sign a new contract then he wouldn't be picked to play. Sounds like blackmail to me. Patrick Bauer refused to sign a new contract, nobody criticized him & he waltzed off to PNE acclaimed as a Charlton legend.  
    Hi, Perhaps an over reaction on my part to a very frustrating
    situation with a player, not just Phillips, coming to the end of a
    contract (this season) and leaving on a free.
    After the Taylor fiasco, and him letting his contract run down, which
    i know is his right, which we all felt frustrated about, i just see the same
    happening here that's all, so just a bit over the top from me, sorry
    Really hope it all works out for both him and the club, and someone
    comes in and takes him on, maybe a loan?

• Options
    Feel sorry for the guy. In normal times, he'd be snapped up. I rate him higher than Pope. Pope had a major weakness, getting down to low shots. Dillon has no such weaknesses. That being said, time is on his side and he needs to be playing. It would be great if we could hang on to him and gain promotion again.
    You rate Dillon more highly than Pope now?

Should have clarified, I meant when Pope departed Charlton.
    He's now had Premier League and International experience and has obviously improved greatly.
    However I believe Philips has the potential to become every bit as good.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

from Phillips.

Agreed mate. And where is the difference between Bauer and Phillips situation. None that I can see. Why didn’t Bowyer take this stance with Bauer. Everyone knew for months where he was going. Phillips is contracted to the end of the season, so in contract, he’s our best keeper, so play him. As it stands Amos is contracted for the season. What if in say December we offer him another year and he turns it down. Does Bowyer drop him? Like hell he will. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

from Phillips.

Agreed mate. And where is the difference between Bauer and Phillips situation. None that I can see. Why didn’t Bowyer take this stance with Bauer. Everyone knew for months where he was going. Phillips is contracted to the end of the season, so in contract, he’s our best keeper, so play him. As it stands Amos is contracted for the season. What if in say December we offer him another year and he turns it down. Does Bowyer drop him? Like hell he will. 
    I suppose in fairness there is a difference that Amos has a year left on his contract because we/he triggered his contract extension whereas Phillips is looking to run it down.

Phillips' treatment is harsher because there's only one goalkeeper needed in a first 11 and we have decent enough cover to take this stance. Ultimately he's just collateral damage in the stand off between Bowyer and the agent
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Still in and around the dressing room judging by JFC's Instagram

I know Williams is little but why is he wearing a kids tracksuit?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

from Phillips.

There is obviously a difference between Bauer and Phillips. The fact that Bows has not treated any player like this before or since says this and no one is likely to explain it to us, and quite rightly.
    He will be sold, leave at the end of his contract, or they will settle their differences. The best thing we can do is butt out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

from Phillips.

Hi, Perhaps an over reaction on my part to a very frustrating
    situation with a player, not just Phillips, coming to the end of a
    contract (this season) and leaving on a free.
    After the Taylor fiasco, and him letting his contract run down, which
    i know is his right, which we all felt frustrated about, i just see the same
    happening here that's all, so just a bit over the top from me, sorry
    Really hope it all works out for both him and the club, and someone
    comes in and takes him on, maybe a loan?

No need to apologise mate, it's a forum & we all have an opinion & we all post things at times that probably come out a little differently than we intended. Not a problem. Yes let's hope the situation gets sorted one way or the other.
  • Options
    Phillips had a good season last time out,his agent must have convinced him that clubs would be lining up to sign him,well they are not, and a bollock has been dropped,tough shit.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

from Phillips.

There is obviously a difference between Bauer and Phillips. The fact that Bows has not treated any player like this before or since says this and no one is likely to explain it to us, and quite rightly.
    He will be sold, leave at the end of his contract, or they will settle their differences. The best thing we can do is butt out.
    The same could be said about any player in our squad or anyone that we are trying to sign. Saves all the speculation and wasted hours. Just wait 'til they're all on the official site.
  • Options
    Clubs that might have been interested in Dill have been hit hard by the Covid-19 scenario and are now unable to pay a hefty transfer fee, let alone his salary. If Dill gets loaned out is that a win for him and his agent? Not if he is a squad player rather than a number 1. Nor if he finds himself at a League one club. Should Charlton pay his wage for a year whilst he plays maybe for the stiffs? I think he'll get loaned out. I wonder how many other players are playing hard-ball with their parent club in the last year of their contract. Shame because we all like Dillon and most rate him as a top goalie. Bloody agents...spits in disgust.
  • Options
    Clubs that might have been interested in Dill have been hit hard by the Covid-19 scenario and are now unable to pay a hefty transfer fee, let alone his salary. If Dill gets loaned out is that a win for him and his agent? Not if he is a squad player rather than a number 1. Nor if he finds himself at a League one club. Should Charlton pay his wage for a year whilst he plays maybe for the stiffs? I think he'll get loaned out. I wonder how many other players are playing hard-ball with their parent club in the last year of their contract. Shame because we all like Dillon and most rate him as a top goalie. Bloody agents...spits in disgust.
    How is he playing hardball ? the club have offered him a new contract but he has turned it down as he is perfectly entitled to. Of course the club should pay his wages, he is under contract, him not playing is down to LB.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Dillon is a very fine goalkeeper and I'm surprised that no Championship club has come in for him, save (reportedly) for one early, derisory offer that was rejected. There would appear to be practically no chance of a permanent move at this stage, unless someone like Stoke made an offer in the event that Butland moves on. A loan is a possibility, although at least we're not in a position where we are financially distressed and desperate to get him off the wage bill, notwithstanding the restrictions of the League 1 salary cap .

I can't see how anyone can seriously blame the player for not signing a new contract in February, given (1) the absolute turmoil within the club at that stage, (2) the fact that none of us have the foggiest idea of the terms which were on offer (a Southall special ?) and (3) that the decision to keep his options open was Dillon's prerogative and a perfectly reasonable one. Once we went down and the League 1 salary cap was introduced, there was never any realistic prospect of any of our best players extending their contracts.
    The salary cap does not stop players from signing a contract that comes into affect when their current deal expires.
    A pay increase on promotion, a promotion bonus this year, a get out clause if still in league 1. Lots of possibilities if a player wants it.
  • Options
    Everton should sign him, better than over rated calamity Pickford.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Blucher said:
    Dillon is a very fine goalkeeper and I'm surprised that no Championship club has come in for him, save (reportedly) for one early, derisory offer that was rejected. There would appear to be practically no chance of a permanent move at this stage, unless someone like Stoke made an offer in the event that Butland moves on. A loan is a possibility, although at least we're not in a position where we are financially distressed and desperate to get him off the wage bill, notwithstanding the restrictions of the League 1 salary cap .

I can't see how anyone can seriously blame the player for not signing a new contract in February, given (1) the absolute turmoil within the club at that stage, (2) the fact that none of us have the foggiest idea of the terms which were on offer (a Southall special ?) and (3) that the decision to keep his options open was Dillon's prerogative and a perfectly reasonable one. Once we went down and the League 1 salary cap was introduced, there was never any realistic prospect of any of our best players extending their contracts.
    The salary cap does not stop players from signing a contract that comes into affect when their current deal expires.
    A pay increase on promotion, a promotion bonus this year, a get out clause if still in league 1. Lots of possibilities if a player wants it.
    There's obviously nothing to stop Dillon signing a new contract next summer, although the average wage in the Championship is around £750,000 to £800,000 - hence the discussions earlier this year about the imposition of an aggregate player salary cap of £18 million per club (a proposal which was resisted by several clubs, with any potential wage cap being deferred until next season). Given that we had by far the lowest budget in the Championship last season and that Dillon had signed his last contract whilst we were in League 1, my guess is that he was - and is - currently on only a fraction of the wages being paid to Championship goalkeepers. In those circumstances, I can't see how the player can be criticised for exploring his options.

No one - in any walk of life - wants to be paid significantly less than their peer group and I don't think it can seriously be denied that Dillon was one of the best keepers in the division last season. It's a short career and, leaving money aside, he will naturally want to play at the very highest level he can and continue his progression in the game.

I appreciate that we'll be in a much stronger position if we can get promoted this season - particularly under Thomas' ownership - but only three teams can and it's a big 'if' as matters stand. 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Still in and around the dressing room judging by JFC's Instagram

I know Williams is little but why is he wearing a kids tracksuit?
    Or has he put his tracksuit top on his bottom half?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everton should sign him, better than over rated calamity Pickford.
    I honestly think Liverpool should take him. He is definitely better than Adrian on better form. We'll just do a season swap for one of their youngsters.
  • Options
    Stoke a possibility? They've agreed to sell Butland to palarse
  • Options
    There is no way he could move to the PL with his distribution. 

Everton did not go for him, but have brought in a 2nd choice goalie to challenge/wakeup Pickford. We need to realise our players aren't the most sought after in the world! It surprised quite a few that Taylor only ended up at Forest.
  • Options
    Also remains to be seen if any activity on Dillon Phillips.

As I understand it, there's a good chance he wouldn't be included in Charlton's 23-man squad when they submit that.

Omitting him would free up funds for someone else.

Proper frozen out,

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:

As I understand it, there's a good chance he wouldn't be included in Charlton's 23-man squad when they submit that.

Proper frozen out,

So that means we will only have two goalkeepers in our squad? Or will one of the Academy be included?
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Proper frozen out,

So that means we will only have two goalkeepers in our squad? Or will one of the Academy be included?
    Wont need to be included... Amos will be the only one that we'll need to list

Maynard-Brewer and Harness (named on the bench against Brighton in the EFL Trophy) are classed as home grown players so are exempt
  • Options
    Liverpool are rumoured to be considering a bid for Ben Foster at Watford. If that happens, I wonder if Watford might come in for Dillon ?
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Proper frozen out,

Crazy decision if true, it only frees up £1,700 a week. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Proper frozen out,

But we still have to pay him so how does that not apply to the cap? It still has to count surely otherwise clubs could still get themselves into financial difficulties in doing this. And the cap is there to stop that.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Proper frozen out,

But we still have to pay him so how does that not apply to the cap? It still has to count surely otherwise clubs could still get themselves into financial difficulties in doing this. And the cap is there to stop that.
    Because he signed his Contract before the Salary Cap came into force so his wage doesnt contribute to it