Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:
    Interesting what our reaction would've been if Bowyer would've refused to play Taylor for the entirety of last season? 

I think the behaviour towards Phillips is a bit OTT and harsh. He's not come out and begging for a move, just doesn't want to sign a contract. 

I think it's partly Taylor's behaviour at the end of last season that has changed his approach. He didn't take this line with Bauer 2 years ago, for example - thank goodness he didn't either considering what Bauer's final contribution was.

Once bitten twice shy
    But if Bowyer had behaved this way with Taylor, basically freezing him out for the whole season we would have been relegated by February. 

It’s a really weird stance to take. 
    I guess as we saw post restart we had no one in the squad that would've any sort of replacement for Taylor, a lot easier for Bowyer to take this stance which a decent replacement in Amos. That does make it sound like one rule for one and one for another though
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Feel sorry for the guy. In normal times, he'd be snapped up. I rate him higher than Pope. Pope had a major weakness, getting down to low shots. Dillon has no such weaknesses. That being said, time is on his side and he needs to be playing. It would be great if we could hang on to him and gain promotion again.
    I don’t. He was the one that refused a new contract expecting to be snapped up. He could have signed a contract with a minimum fee based on a team from a higher division coming in, but he didnt.

if he signed and had played 7 games in all competitions, scouts would be watching and maybe a bid would have followed. Now all scouts have to go by is a u-tube page made by his agent.
    Could you imagine the outrage on here if Phillips had signed a contract, done the photo shoot, been our number one for the first 7 games then announced he wanted to leave because Stoke/Bournemouth/another had come in for him.  He would get pelters.

Didn’t Shelvey do that? Or another youth team product, to ensure we got a fee
    Gomez. His old man told him to as he owed everything to Charlton.  At least that was what I heard.
    I believe that’s the case.  His family were very much pro-Charlton
  • Options
    Bowyers trying to ensure Charlton get something whereas Dillon’s agent is trying to ensure he and Dillon get the maximum for themselves. A win-win isn’t on the cards. 

He could have signed a contract and ultimately not seen it out then at least the club would have been compensated. 

He isn’t alone of course in behaving like this but it looks like greed when you compare to the average man on the street. 

him sitting at home and drawing his money doesn't really help us either.
    If Amos is doing a job it's not hurting us either.  LB must have assumed he would be off before the window so why risk him disrupting the dressing room. Don't understand what the angst is all about.

He gets paid whether he's playing or not and no one is standing in his way, so drawing money is irrelevant. All that matters is he goes as soon as possible.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:
    Interesting what our reaction would've been if Bowyer would've refused to play Taylor for the entirety of last season? 

I think the behaviour towards Phillips is a bit OTT and harsh. He's not come out and begging for a move, just doesn't want to sign a contract. 

I think it's partly Taylor's behaviour at the end of last season that has changed his approach. He didn't take this line with Bauer 2 years ago, for example - thank goodness he didn't either considering what Bauer's final contribution was.

Once bitten twice shy
    But if Bowyer had behaved this way with Taylor, basically freezing him out for the whole season we would have been relegated by February. 

I guess as we saw post restart we had no one in the squad that would've any sort of replacement for Taylor, a lot easier for Bowyer to take this stance which a decent replacement in Amos. That does make it sound like one rule for one and one for another though
    Agreed.
    But a good example is the youth system.
    They do cull players for not doing well at school or for bad behaviour. They do know they have to reduce numbers as kids go through so selecting players and putting it down to those reasons sets the example to others. Work hard at school or you are out.

Phillips sounds like he has made it abundantly clear he wants out. Bows has moved on. No point in him playing as he needs a settled back line and we are having so many changes to the side we need consistency going forward.
    They need to get to know each other and Phillips would be a distraction and leaving now or in January would be a disruption we can do without.

The hard edge of Bows is clear. Play for me, show me you can give your all.
  • Options
    “I can definitely see Dillon Phillips leaving because he has expressed such a strong interest not to stay with the club,” said Sandgaard. “That makes senses. We have a couple of days left to see if things work out for another club for him.”
  • Options
    Bowyers trying to ensure Charlton get something whereas Dillon’s agent is trying to ensure he and Dillon get the maximum for themselves. A win-win isn’t on the cards. 

He could have signed a contract and ultimately not seen it out then at least the club would have been compensated. 

He isn’t alone of course in behaving like this but it looks like greed when you compare to the average man on the street. 

If Amos is doing a job it's not hurting us either.  LB must have assumed he would be off before the window so why risk him disrupting the dressing room. Don't understand what the angst is all about.

He gets paid whether he's playing or not and no one is standing in his way, so drawing money is irrelevant. All that matters is he goes as soon as possible.
    But if Phillips, Amos and AMB all have contracts that expire at the same time, why has Phillips been singled out? We're told that it's because he won't sign a new contract but then have the other two been offered contracts? If not why not? Could it just be that Phillips is the only one that will command a fee? If that is the case then it rather proves that he is our best keeper. And should be first choice.
  • Options

But if Phillips, Amos and AMB all have contracts that expire at the same time, why has Phillips been singled out? We're told that it's because he won't sign a new contract but then have the other two been offered contracts? If not why not? Could it just be that Phillips is the only one that will command a fee? If that is the case then it rather proves that he is our best keeper. And should be first choice.
    When LB picks a team based on their transfer value I'll get me coat.  

Phillips is singled out because he doesn't want to stay at Charlton. LB has his motives, he's not stupid, there could be a few, but one could be to show players whose heads get turned by agents they can't expect to be showcased to attract potential buyers, we are no longer desperate sellers.  

Motives are obviously different when dealing with AD assuming he also wants to leave.
  • Options
    I wonder how Phillips feels now.
    When he was offered his contract, i think the clubs situation was quite different?
    We were a basket case, relegation, players leaving or left, a transfer embargo, ownership issues, the prospect of administration or worse.
    Now with many players signing, the ownership issue resolved (we hope) and the future looking much brighter.
    It appears that clubs are not in a hurry to sign him and out of favour with L.B.
    A miscalculation that could go badly wrong.
    The next couple of days are going to be crucial to the career of Dillon Phillips.   

• Options
    I'd be perfectly happy if we got rid of Phillips and used his 2k salary (i know he'll be on more but just using the league average) to get a better striker on 4k a week.
  • Options
    It's clear that Philips and his agent probably acted quite smug and that there's only one leage he will play in this season, the Championhip. This would have been either with us or another team. Neither worked out for them. Bow's may quite rightly be as livid with him as he was with Bonne. Excellent saves he made, he's also prone to losing concentration from 85mins onwards. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:

Once bitten twice shy

Or we'd have had an alternative option in the squad and found another way to win those games. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:

Once bitten twice shy

Or we'd have had an alternative option in the squad and found another way to win those games. 
    Would we? We've scored 9 goals in our last 16 games (not a small sample) and didn't even have a shot on target in our last match, It's because of our inability to create and score post lockdown that we went down. 
  • Options
    Could easily have signed a 1 year extension with a clause in regards to non promotion this season, these things aren't unheard of after all. 

His agent is hoping to cash in now rather than later, the covid effect I imagine,  wanting to make a big bonus before reality sets in. As always, agents rarely care about the client just the £££.

Shame as given Bowyers recent comments he may be stuck here with us.

Awkward.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:

Once bitten twice shy

Would we? We've scored 9 goals in our last 16 games (not a small sample) and didn't even have a shot on target in our last match, It's because of our inability to create and score post lockdown that we went down. 
    We'd have probably sold him in that transfer window and replaced him. 

Never thought about this before but for info:

Bonne's 11 goals won us 8 pts 
    Taylor's 11 goals won us 12 pts 

Taylor with more ability to change games than Bonne. 

I think we'd have been forced into getting someone a lot better than Bonne or Aneke had Lyle been frozen out whilst the window was open and we waited for a reasonable offer. 
  • Options
    Phillips won't be sold, because no other club in the championship
    will sign he up, he wants to be a number1, not second choice, and
    he doesn't think he is a league one player.
    So, what will he do, stay here and see out his contract like Taylor?
    Seems like the most likely scenario if his contract isn't cancelled.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    MattF said:

Once bitten twice shy

We'd have probably sold him in that transfer window and replaced him. 

Never thought about this before but for info:

Bonne's 11 goals won us 8 pts 
    Taylor's 11 goals won us 12 pts 

I think we'd have been forced into getting someone a lot better than Bonne or Aneke had Lyle been frozen out whilst the window was open and we waited for a reasonable offer. 
    Don't forget that this was the RD and not the TS era. RD would have pocketed the money as he always did from the sales of Grant, Gomez etc etc. Goals scorers are not in abundance either as we are currently finding least of all one that comes on a "free".
  • Options
    If that happens be interested to see where he shows up next summer... If its not as a No.1 then Bowyers tactics have effectively worked

As he can then turn round to any of the squad saying:

Okay you want to leave, thats fine but if you dont sign a new deal then thats the risk you're taking, sign a new deal and if a decent offer comes in then we wont stand in your way

Its why I'm against ripping up his contract, we do that and we're almost giving control to the players, others will see what we've done with Phillips and will think that they can take similar action when their contract is running down - What these players need to learn is that if they dont sign a new deal, they're hindering their own career rather than hindering the club.

Stop doing that and player power will only get stronger!!
  • Options
     Redrobo said:
    I think Phillips and his agent had set up a deal to a Championship club that would have put him on very good wages. The trouble was that the fee was a joke but Phillips was insistent that he leave. Bows stuck his heels in and priced him out of the market.

This I think is the start of Agents losing some of their power, certainly with us. We need to stop being a soft touch on and off the pitch. That £15m that Grant is going for should have been ours. Hopefully those days are behind us now. We need to follow Brentford’s example.
    And Phillps' crime was that he was one of only two players left in our squad that would actually command a meaningful fee.

He's now no longer in our squad, we will have to continue to pay him and he can leave at the end of the season on a "free". So it isn't just Phillips that will potentially lose out but us financially too. And the irony is that the other two keepers could turn round at the end of the season and say that they are off too although we could offer them a contract in the meantime. I just hope that one or even both don't refuse to sign because, if LB is a man of principle, he'll have to also ban them from training. And so it goes on.
  • Options
    If that happens be interested to see where he shows up next summer... If its not as a No.1 then Bowyers tactics have effectively worked

Okay you want to leave, thats fine but if you dont sign a new deal then thats the risk you're taking, sign a new deal and if a decent offer comes in then we wont stand in your way

Its why I'm against ripping up his contract, we do that and we're almost giving control to the players, others will see what we've done with Phillips and will think that they can take similar action when their contract is running down - What these players need to learn is that if they dont sign a new deal, they're hindering their own career rather than hindering the club.

I agree that player power needs to be curtailed but the realism is that
    if they want to they can currently do just that, stay on their existing
    contract as per Taylor, and run it down.
    I feel that Phillips will stay on because he has no choice, no one else
    wants him and his seemingly HUGE ego in their team, and also not as
    a number one, which he feels he is worthy of in the championship.
    God, these bloody people who think they are a cut above their realistic
    value, and as you say, should he knuckle down and work at his career
    then in a year he may get the move he wants and would deserve.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

How would you “curtail” player power?
  • Options

• Options
    Have to put Phillips out on loan.
  • Options

How do you know what his HUGE ego is?

• Options
    se9addick said:

You can't can you, and that is the point, as i said the realism is
    that they hold the ultimate power at this time, and can almost
    hold the club to ransom until they get what they want.
    So at this time either he stays in reserve, which doesn't help
    either party, sold on the cheap, or contract release.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    se9addick said:

I don’t think anyone’s being held to ransom. It’s a contractual relationship, once it ends then neither party has any further commitment to the other and I’m totally comfortable with that and think it’s the way it should be. 

Now if Phillips said he wouldn’t play if selected or wouldn’t put his all in then that’s a different story but I don’t believe that’s the case, in fact by freezing him out I would say that we are the unreasonable party in this situation. 
  • Options
    Not going into the rights and wrongs of the situation but it’s extraordinary how many top class keepers have slipped through our fingers in recent times; is another one about to join the list?
    I for one can’t quite fathom it out.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

I don’t think anyone’s being held to ransom. It’s a contractual relationship, once it ends then neither party has any further commitment to the other and I’m totally comfortable with that and think it’s the way it should be. 

Now if Phillips said he wouldn’t play if selected or wouldn’t put his all in then that’s a different story but I don’t believe that’s the case, in fact by freezing him out I would say that we are the unreasonable party in this situation. 
    I agree that no one is being held to ransom literally, but in a realistic situation
    it is what Lee and the club are trying to avoid by withdrawing the No.1 jersey
    from Phillips.
    And i agree with your findings that the club could be found to be at fault in
    freezing him out, but at the same time they are trying to avoid another Taylor
    scenario, which comes back to my point of player power, they hold all the cards
    when the last year of a contract is in force.
    So, it would be good if Phillips agreed to an extension, until next season, but i
    think too much water has passed, and both parties are not going to blink first
    and another player takes us to the cleaners.